Your Gripes With CoC2

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
Was going to post this in "content I want" in corruption of champions 2 area, but I feel this is better suited for here. Keep in mind this topic area is completely dedicated to talking about our "gripes" with the game. So the entire point of this thread is about fair criticsms. I feel I might get abit of hate for posting this, but please to the writer, the staff, and the fans, these are simply my opinions and nothing more. I have nothing but respect to the amazing writers of this game, and admiration. So with that being said, my criticism is largely to the story.

SPOILER CONTENT READ AT YOUR DISCRETION

1-Cait
The first companion we had and the person who is supposed to be the poster girl of this game has honestly been completely dethrone by kiyoko and the Kitsune content. At this point we might as well make kiyoko the poster girl of this game, for she has more sex scenes than anyone else, and her village has the most content out of anyone else. We literally get basically four wives out of the kitsune village. And most likely more in the future. Now I am not complaining at all about this, for Kiyoko is actually my literal dream wifeu, and if you were to paint my ideal perfect wife, it's kiyoko. So I am giving this criticsm DESPITE The kitsune content being my favorite part of this game. Cait is suppose to be the poster girl of this game, yet her father scene felt completely rushed and didn't even get her own dungeon for him. Like finding her dad should of been way more flashy. Just despite her being the poster girl of this game, I really don't see her getting any character growth as she just remains this unhinged nympho who will fuck literally anything that breathes. Honestly her unhingedness just kinda makes me think of. "She belongs to the streets" meme. Maybe that's the point of her character, but I just feel there is so much more we can do with this character. She's one of the driving forces to the plot and it just feels like the other wifeus in this game are simply more interesting.
I think there's a misunderstanding of your read on the nature of this game and others like it. That misunderstanding is leading to you having unwarranted expectations of the writers and the direction of the project.
If you're a developer, you'll want to have some form of art to advertise your project in a succinct manner. Something to visually represent the game. You can't use the player character, because that will vary greatly depending on the player of the game. Cait on the other hand is a character that EVERY PLAYER will interact with no matter what their choices are concerning her after she is introduced. She is a natural choice to put on an banner for the game because of that.

However, putting her on the banner is not a declaration from the developers that the game is about her. She features prominently in the storyline, sure. She's an important character. But the game is not About her. The devs owe no such content quota surrounding her as opposed to other characters within the script, and a characters representation relative to hers in the game does not make them more 'important' for the needs of a banner. While the game has many authors that write perfect waifu type characters, the game is itself also not about finding waifus like Cait or Kiyoko.

The problem you are critiquing is not a problem with the game. Its a problem of your expectations not matching actual intent in the project and being mislead by the needs surrounding banner advertisement.

That's to say nothing of when each character was developed, when the banner was created in relation to that development, when each character had an author sit down and write the necessary content for their addition into the game and more.

redlightnin55

Dec 21, 2022
Quick question. What makes Cait the poster girl? Also what is a poster girl? I assume you're not talking about a pinup girl..
Depending on how the term is used, it can mean either the most typical example of whatever the subject of the "poster" is, or the main or most important female of the subject. In movies, the poster girl is usually the main heroine, even if not the main protagonist. See almost any original trilogy Star Wars movie posters, they usually feature Luke quite prominently while Leia is usually the secondary main subject of them. She's the "poster girl" of the original trilogy quite literally.

In this case, calling Cait the poster girl of the game isn't inaccurate I'd say. It's artwork of her used for the banner of the game's patreon page, after all. She's also the character designed most-specifically to encapsulate what the game's main premise is, on top of being the driving force behind the more cinematic tutorial section of the game.

That said, I think those are more circumstance than intended design. I don't think she's meant to be any more important than any other female character you can bring along on your adventure, it just happens to be that she's a tutorial character, main healer, and inoffensive so it's easier to latch onto her personal story. Plus she was one of the earliest designed characters for marketing. She's a pink catgirl with huge boobs. It's easy to capitalize on that.

Though I do agree that the foxes have gotten way too much focus in recent months. I'm enjoying that the valley is finally getting some much needed love. Now we just need the artwork to catch up a little bit. Portraits are quite behind right now afaik.

Reactions: Kesil and Medge

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
Quick question. What makes Cait the poster girl? Also what is a poster girl? I assume you're not talking about a pinup girl..
The term poster girl/poster boy refers to the characater that is the main mascot of your advertised product.

And when you look at corruption of the champion 2 ads, its majority of the time either Cait or Kas. For league of legends it's ahri and akali, for DC its batman and superman, for avengers its ironman. For coke it use to be a polar bear, for Dark souls, it's a knight with a sword and shield.

As for what makes Cait the main poster girl of the game, she is the first wifeu we are introduced to the series, her story line is one of the major driving plots of the story as we promise to find her sister. She is repetitively telling us the importance of our mission to fight the demons. She is one of the few characters that has dialogue for every part of the story and a opinion. And when you see CoC2 Ads majority of the time its her or Kas.

Reactions: Wh0S3UsN4m

sarvu2543

Jul 6, 2016
I think there's a misunderstanding of your read on the nature of this game and others like it. That misunderstanding is leading to you having unwarranted expectations of the writers and the direction of the project.
If you're a developer, you'll want to have some form of art to advertise your project in a succinct manner. Something to visually represent the game. You can't use the player character, because that will vary greatly depending on the player of the game. Cait on the other hand is a character that EVERY PLAYER will interact with no matter what their choices are concerning her after she is introduced. She is a natural choice to put on an banner for the game because of that.

However, putting her on the banner is not a declaration from the developers that the game is about her. She features prominently in the storyline, sure. She's an important character. But the game is not About her. The devs owe no such content quota surrounding her as opposed to other characters within the script, and a characters representation relative to hers in the game does not make them more 'important' for the needs of a banner. While the game has many authors that write perfect waifu type characters, the game is itself also not about finding waifus like Cait or Kiyoko.

The problem you are critiquing is not a problem with the game. Its a problem of your expectations not matching actual intent in the project and being mislead by the needs surrounding banner advertisement.

That's to say nothing of when each character was developed, when the banner was created in relation to that development, when each character had an author sit down and write the necessary content for their addition into the game and more.
I am aware the game is not about finding wifeus, I was stating that even though Kiyoko is my ideal perfect woman, I would still wish to see more developments in Caits character, who I feel is starting to be left behind. Despite the fact she is so important to the plot.

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
I am aware the game is not about finding wifeus, I was stating that even though Kiyoko is my ideal perfect woman, I would still wish to see more developments in Caits character, who I feel is starting to be left behind. Despite the fact she is so important to the plot.
Reread your criticism as written.
Put shortly it is [Caitlyn does not have as much development as other waifu characters despite being on the advertisement banner].
Your expectations that she should have more appear to hinge entirely on the fact that she is on the banner. All I'm trying to tell you is that her being on the banner is not a declaration that the game is about her. Nor does it mean that she will have the greatest amount of content. So the criticism itself is from a misunderstanding of why she is on the banner to begin with.

I'm not saying she won't or shouldn't get more development. You can literally write an expansion and submit it yourself to the devs if you're inclined to do so, its how most things get in the game to begin with.

I'm just saying that criticizing waifu content proportions based on a banner that doesn't mean what you think it does might be an unfair criticism.

I also don't mean to say that you shouldn't voice your preferences. In this case, its just that it really does belong in things you want added to the game rather than fair criticism.

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Wouldn't it make more sense to remove that attribute bonus?
Honestly, yes, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while. Race/Class/Background have attribute bonuses just to speed up character creation, rather than giving the player an attribute distribution screen, but I've definitely seen a lot of players saying they choose {X} race just for the stat buffs and then TF out later.

Although, statistically, the vast majority of players DO stay their starting race, you're right that it's an incongruence. It's something that might be changed in the future.
Also, will we ever get starter-race-specific quests? Kinda like how World of Warcraft gives you a little prologue that grounds your identity as a member of the race you chose in the world.
If we didn't have a TF system, sure, we could probably do that. As it is, I don't think that's something really worth investing development into. The Godsworn quests sort of fill that niche.

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Cait could use some love tbh.
After all:
First companion.
Healer (precious resource)
Sets the events in motion (Takes you to the temple, etc etc.)
Cute.

Downside, and thing that made me drop her as a romantic interest:
Hoe, not the gardening type.
Everything she gives you, she pretty much gives to anyone else. Sure, buttginity is yours, but anything else: she shares.

Inb4:
"That's part of her religion"

Yes, but she didn't really have much say in it, did she?

And don't get me started in how messed up the whole "kids born in Mallach temples" is.

Anyways, going off track, back to Cait:
Poor girl is falling behind in content.
I'll just throw this here:
Hoping, dreaming, that someday, we'll be able to get rid of that annoying habit of hers of jumping anyone she sees.
If my champ, a theoretical pansexual by design, and a horndog, can settle for one person, so could she.

Damn it... Mucho texto.

Reactions: Wh0S3UsN4m

redlightnin55

Dec 21, 2022
Downside, and thing that made me drop her as a romantic interest:
Hoe, not the gardening type.
Everything she gives you, she pretty much gives to anyone else. Sure, buttginity is yours, but anything else: she shares.
This is largely related to my issue with her too. I like her and she's often one of my team mainstays, but this is sort of an issue I have with her. Not the ho part, but the "you don't really get anything unique from her" part. If you don't fetishize anal, she has nothing to offer you that she doesn't openly give anyone else.

I don't want her to become another wife, frankly I feel like that would ruin her. But it would be nice if we got something more unique from her. Maybe a date where she just focuses on you, and not in a sexual way. It could feature a branching conversation with dialog options where the player can actually have a deep conversation with her, not about sex or other shallow stuff. I think that special something she could offer is getting to know her in a way no one else does and vice versa. I'd be down for that.

Bobonga

Aug 13, 2021
Honestly, yes, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while. Race/Class/Background have attribute bonuses just to speed up character creation, rather than giving the player an attribute distribution screen, but I've definitely seen a lot of players saying they choose {X} race just for the stat buffs and then TF out later.
I'm one of those players. I'd prefer a attribute distribution screen. Then we could get a +3 in strength or cunning. Another aspect is that your choice of background is tied to your class. Which means that some attribute bonus combinations are simply not possible. Hence another restriction.

But I do like that each background gives different extra items. That shouldn't change.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019

Although, statistically, the vast majority of players DO stay their starting race, you're right that it's an incongruence. It's something that might be changed in the future.
That kinda happens with me a lot. I pick a starter race based purely on the stat bonus and how I intend to build the character. I generally intend to tf out of that race later, but a lot of the time I end up not changing. Not really because I decide not to, more just that the time it takes me to get to whatever tf I want for that character leads to me not thinking about it anymore.

Soulsderfuchs

May 17, 2022
One of my gripes is that I sometimes feel Etheryn is the main character of this game considering the amount of content dedicated and surrounding her. The amount of total dungeons around her supasses every other companion and even the main questline at this point.

Furiae

Jan 7, 2021
This has been fascinating reading, tbh. I've never considered Cait an "unhinged nympho" before, but maybe that's because my characters are usually sluts, too, so I think of her more like a bff. I get being turned off by situations like LiAzzy, since it feels like you're the third wheel, bit it's kinda wild to me that y'all are upset Cait fucks around, considering she tells you that up-front, and you can literally be married to, what, at least 3 other people simultaneously? :rolleyes:

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
Not to kink or tradition shame anyone here. I do think the reactions to Cait are themselves an interesting commentary on a game that will attract a generally sex positive crowd while some of us will still judge her character progression around her willingness to bed a single partner - as though the proclivity towards one or the other is necessarily the right way to progress as a person versus the wrong way.

Social Commentary TM. Fascinating stuff.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
This has been fascinating reading, tbh. I've never considered Cait an "unhinged nympho" before, but maybe that's because my characters are usually sluts, too, so I think of her more like a bff. I get being turned off by situations like LiAzzy, since it feels like you're the third wheel, bit it's kinda wild to me that y'all are upset Cait fucks around, considering she tells you that up-front, and you can literally be married to, what, at least 3 other people simultaneously? :rolleyes:
Agreed. I'll admit I always found it funny when people have a problem with Cait sleeping around and Constantly wanting her to go exclusive as if that's not the very first thing she establishes her boundaries on BECAUSE of said people wanting characters in a sex game to not sleep around. But then suddenly that boundary establishment is bad. :U
It's likely a sort of subconscious hypocrisy and not realizing how weird it actually comes off as than anything malicious, but it is amusing considering her telling you that she was never a monogamous sort of gal was literally the product of people wanting exclusivity in a sex positive game where you're allowed to fuck anyone you want. Hence the subconscious hypocrisy, since it's essentially asking for a scenario where in a game where you can go around fucking everything and everyone with a pulse, and yes that is the case even when you try to go exclusive because the Champ is polyamorous by default and if anything is simply choosing not to act on it rather than just call it monogamous, but the moment other characters do it, it's a problem. Even if those others have told you from the ground up that exclusive relationships aren't their go-to and want to establish boundaries before diving into shit as to not hurt your feelings. Idunno, I rather Cait be a hoe with me than be in a situation where I could possibly go "Wow why am I sleeping with someone else when I have a wife back home that's probably worred about me, welp, I'm gonna go feel guilt and shit for doing this and crawl into a hole byyeee!"

I can actually understand instances like LiAzzy getting the flack due to the unfortunate third-wheeling that comes out of nowhere and I do agree that that is an instance where getting upset about a character focusing on someone other than you is a fair thing since the writing and the people defending the writing conveyed the notion that you ARE on equal grounds when in actuality how that relationship was done was rather poorly. Hopefully I'm not offending in saying that as frankly I've stayed in the background regarding that issue in the fandom, as this is very much speaking on a character consistancy perspective (Characters can have lives and do outside of us ofc, others have said the problems with it all way better than me so I'm just trying to write this in the most non-asshole way I can as I've kept up poorly with everything since then, tho I do remember the jist of it). But it's not the same as Cait. You literally can get married already with multiple people and more will be on the way. It's not some betrayal to tell someone "Hey before we get serious I need to tell you that it might not be exactly how you hope because-" and that should be that tbh. She keeps to her word too.

Hell, I love and admire Cait because of that because she's honest and upfront about it, this is a very sex positive game and universe so she pretty much sets the reigns regarding that. And frankly if we're not sucking someone's dick/eating someone out together at the altar during our eventual marriage then something's wrong with the cosmic fragments of the universe. Let us be two peas in a slutty pod.

Don't get me wrong it's definitely interesting and almost reads into the human psyche regarding these things sometimes, but this is a porn game, so hey, maybe that's just me. Also sorry about the walls of text in your reply, I think I just have a lot to say about the Cait thing that I buried in my head bc of how often it happens it makes me go "Hm..." with me rubbing my chin metaphorically. I just wanted to defend the catgirl lol

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Let a man dream, damn it.
Meh, fck it, I dropped Cait over a year ago, not like that's gonna change, I guess.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_16733018456245368.jpg
    FB_IMG_16733018456245368.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 10

Furiae

Jan 7, 2021
Fuckin' A. Then there's the people up in arms about fucking at the Mallachite temple, and somehow it makes her sluttier, but far as I can tell, any of the Cait sex scenes there are with the PC, sooooo...?!?!

I don't get it. My only complaints about the Mallachites are they don't pay me enough for tricking, and that the only catboy porn is written by Tobs :negativeman:

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
Well, let's see what Mallach has to say about that.

WARNING! An angry kitty-god has been detected in your sector. Prepare uranus!
Bruh didn't even bother trying to rescue his followers' souls from Kasyrra, someone that he can easily "Thanos-snap". Why would he bother about Cait?

Reactions: Griwyn

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Bruh didn't even bother trying to rescue his followers' souls from Kasyrra, someone that he can easily "Thanos-snap". Why would he bother about Cait?
The good doctor meme moment:
I AM A GOD
I AM A GOD
I AM A GOD

While Kas/Champ is Dr Han, just staring at them.

Dude_with_bad_english

Oct 11, 2022
Well technically corrupted cats keep slutting around anyway. But a Cait can't spread her's faith and legs if Champion grabs it all for himself alone. And that's blasphemy!

The foundations of religion are a very serious business! Have you seen "Dogma"?

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
Well, tbf, he DOES get their souls back.
Not sure if spoiler, considering it's been...
Oh god... Over a year since it was added.

Reactions: Furiae

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
Well, tbf, he DOES get their souls back.
Not sure if spoiler, considering it's been...
Oh god... Over a year since it was added.
He does, but in the most peaceful way possible considering what happened to them.

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
Well technically corrupted cats keep slutting around anyway. But a Cait can't spread her's faith and legs if Champion grabs it all for himself alone. And that's blasphemy!

The foundations of religion are a very serious business! Have you seen "Dogma"?
Maybe, but they aren't doing it for Mallach so maybe he doesn't get anything out of it?