Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warmachine

Dec 12, 2022
TOOOOOOOOL TIIIIIIIIIIIPS.

Gimme those sweet mouseover dopamine hits. Unfurl a nice menu of what every stat is being influenced by when I roll my cursor over them. Watch me moan like a two dollar whore when a little gesture tells me what something is instead of needing to leave whatever menu I'm in and go flipping through the codex/wiki.

Seriously, though. Let me mouse over "Evasion" and see that I'm getting +17 from Agility, +10 from my shield, +20 from my armor, +5 from my boots, and +5 from my ring. I hate that both the stat screen and lots of scenes are absolutely starved for tooltips.

Ria Brew

Nov 16, 2020
Appreciated on my part. Sometimes a button doesn't have a descriptive enough name to tell me what it's actually gonna entail and when I mouse over one and find no description it really hits me in the hesitation.

Reactions: Alypia

Warmachine

Dec 12, 2022
Appreciated on my part. Sometimes a button doesn't have a descriptive enough name to tell me what it's actually gonna entail and when I mouse over one and find no description it really hits me in the hesitation.
This here is why I included scenes in my tooltips gripe. Some buttons are even abbreviated, which if you're unfamiliar with an acronym might lead to someone not knowing what they're picking.

So in short, in case my position wasn't already clear Alypia: Tooltips gud. I honestly can't think of a time in gaming where I've ever been like "I want fewer and less detailed tooltips." Especially in RPGs and strategy/management games--my primary genres--you NEED tooltips to get information quickly. And while, for example, Paradox games like HoI4 might have tooltips a mile long, that tooltip tells me everything I need to know about whatever UI element I'm hovering over.

Reactions: Grainy and Alypia

ForeverLurker

Feb 9, 2022
My gripe is backgrounds they almost dont matter story wise. Writers please make backgrounds neat again! Ive only seen them pop up a few times in dialogs to the point in womdering other than stats why are the here?

Reactions: Arai

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
My gripe is backgrounds they almost dont matter story wise. Writers please make backgrounds neat again! Ive only seen them pop up a few times in dialogs to the point in womdering other than stats why are the here?
(Opens source code)
(Stares at the hundreds if not thousands of [pc.bg] parsers in the game)
(Stares at the multiple background checks for various obstacles, NPC interactions, etc)
Assertion not in evidence. Just because we don't write Background Check: <Background Name> every time these things are checked doesn't mean they're not there.

• Haha
Reactions: Malidica

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
(Opens source code)
(Stares at the hundreds if not thousands of [pc.bg] parsers in the game)
(Stares at the multiple background checks for various obstacles, NPC interactions, etc)
Assertion not in evidence. Just because we don't write Background Check: <Background Name> every time these things are checked doesn't mean they're not there.
An assertion based in experience. One which is shared by a number of players frankly, so let's not act like there's nothing to that. My guess is that of the apparent "hundreds if not thousands" of parser checks many of them are very miss-able and/or call to a specific background which doesn't proc if the PC doesn't have it so there's like a 1 in 10 chance of the player actually seeing it. So players will be lucky to see more than a dozen or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arai
One which is shared by most players frankly
Whilst I do agree on backgrounds not having as much of an impact as I would personally like, this right here feels very much like an assumption. I imagine you talked to some people about the topic beforehand, but I also largely doubt an actual majority of even the people on here or the discord have even spoken of it.

Usually better off leaving such terminology out of an argument unless you have undeniable proof, if you ask me.

Reactions: Malidica and Kesil

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
Whilst I do agree on backgrounds not having as much of an impact as I would personally like, this right here feels very much like an assumption. I imagine you talked to some people about the topic beforehand, but I also largely doubt an actual majority of even the people on here or the discord have even spoken of it.

Usually better off leaving such terminology out of an argument unless you have undeniable proof, if you ask me.
you're right, I'll go ahead and edit that.

Reactions: CasualAntlerEnjoyer
As for my own daily contribution to the gripe pile, there will always be the pain of not being allowed to be more of a bitter, standoffish shit when dealing with the Seven personally. The based anti-Seven pro-purity take.

Their ability to erase you from this mortal coil be damned, if someone is interrupting my sleep just for a booty call because I built them a temple for purely pragmatic purposes(like plugging up explosive hell portals), you can better believe I will have something stronger to say then 'oh hey can I go back to sleep please'. There is nothing more worthy of risking the wrath of a heathen god over.

And this isn't even mentioning tricky K or the supreme snake god of dialogue trees and their foolishness.

zagzig

Feb 26, 2021
I picked a couple of examples from the most recent content, they are generally written to be seamless rather than announce that a background variable just took place. Savin commented on it before when it came up as well, saying that it's too late now but in retrospect it would have been a good idea to highlight variants when they come up because most are blink and you miss it.
The southern portion of the outer halls is devoted to training rooms, lecture halls, and obstacle courses. Everything is helpfully labeled with easy numerals, and a large tome at the main entrance from the hall explains which rooms correspond to which numerals in [pc.bg arcanist scholar courtesan|just about every language you can imagine|multiple languages both local and foreign].
[pc.bgMulti hunter arcanist
|In fact, half of these plants look like they don't belong in the same biome, let alone a jungle. You spot some local plants among them, but most are foreign blooms you can't even begin to identify.
|In fact, you know they don't belong. Some of these plants are from the southern jungles, while others are rare desert blooms, and more still are local march plants. All of them grow impossibly from the same vine.
|If they weren't right there to touch you'd think some kind of illusion was afoot. Sure enough they're completely solid, but that only makes it more fantastic.
]

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I picked a couple of examples from the most recent content, they are generally written to be seamless rather than announce that a background variable just took place. Savin commented on it before when it came up as well, saying that it's too late now but in retrospect it would have been a good idea to highlight variants when they come up because most are blink and you miss it.
It has its ups and downs. While it does draw attention to the fact, seeing that pop up repeatedly can easily break the flow of the narrative. Games where this is done tend to do it as part of options opened at player decision trees, which are natural breaks in the narrative and helpful for the player to know that their background made a difference at that juncture.

Reactions: Alypia

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
It's still tech I definitely want to explore in the future.

redlightnin55

Dec 21, 2022
So, ehh, I hope I'm not stirring up anything taboo here by griping a little about this since I know over on steam people are still complaining about this, but it would be nice if we could still sleep with Berwyn at the inn/camp. I know there's people upset about his removal as a companion and I'm not here to delve into any debate about that, I know that it is what it is. But I did like him and I do miss some of the interactions that were hard-cut when he was shifted out of the companion role. Might help placate some of the other people who miss him too.

I figure since it's possible for our character to travel to and from the tower, you could make it possible to do the reverse too. And install a tiredness sensor or something so Berwyn knows when to pop out. I don't know... You could reuse the old interactions for those who kept Berwyn the same or nearly the same, then just do simple variants for those who chose a more different Berwyn. I imagine the only heavily modified/original ones needed would be for those who made Berwyn completely female or made him/her a sub, but I admit I'm not privy to the stuff on how the variants are managed behind the scenes.

But there's my gripe about Berwyn. If I'm stepping on some no-no areas, I apologize. I really don't mean to stir up anything.

I do have one other gripe though. Why the heck can't we get Ahmri pregnant yet? She seems pretty darn willing and there's literally bits and pieces in sex scenes with her that tease the player with the possibility! lol I feel like she's such old content now, but I still absolutely adore her and wish she had just that little bit more to really seal the deal, like how Atani can get pregnant and even had a tiny bit of added content recently.

Elfyr

Dec 26, 2022
The start is extremely confusing. I am just beginning the game, exploring a bit for the first time and characters talk to me as if I encountered them before and they know me well.

The first instance of it is with Gwyn, Garth's daughter.
"You came," she says, a little out of breath. "I was getting worried."
Okay, I just woke up from a week long nap so she may be worried about me being in a coma or something but it still feels too familiar and close.
"Like I told you before, donations are always welcome."
First time I see, she couldn't have told me before.

I just came back from the Forest and get ambushed by Atugia, the Runic Knight. She keeps talking about Carmen and although I did hear about her name and that's she's the Baroness, I don't know her at all yet.
"Earlier in the castle she mentioned she was human"
Which castle? I never went to one yet, just the temple at the start of the game.
"You ask Atugia how she came to the Frost Marches. If you remember correctly her home is rather far from the Frost Marches."
I don't know where she is from, at all. (It may be due to the fact that the "Baroness" conversation is locked behind the "Trip" one and not vice-versa. She does talk where she's from in the "Baroness" one.)
Atuiga also keeps talking about the godswar and I have absolutely no clue what that. I can't even ask her or check in the Codex.​

It really seems like Gwyn was supposed to have dialogues so you get to know her before the orphanage is built. Unfortunately, the orphanage is already built at the start of the game and I don't see any way to talk to her for the first time.

Atugia, on the other hand, seems to come from later in the game and her dialogues weren't changed to reflect that.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
The first instance of it is with Gwyn, Garth's daughter.
"You came," she says, a little out of breath. "I was getting worried."
Okay, I just woke up from a week long nap so she may be worried about me being in a coma or something but it still feels too familiar and close.
"Like I told you before, donations are always welcome."
First time I see, she couldn't have told me before.

I can answer this, if nothing else. You meet her in the introduction, before the whole business with the storm and then afterwards, too, so you're expected to know each other. She actually did tell you this before, but that was cut when the bit about the nursery was made part of the intro so players couldn't not know about it. Simple fix of a couple phrases, that's all.

Elfyr

Dec 26, 2022
Yeah, that's fair. I did think about this scenario, since it's said that the PC has been in the inn for some time but it still felt a bit weird when I first read her dialogue.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
I can answer this, if nothing else. You meet her in the introduction, before the whole business with the storm and then afterwards, too, so you're expected to know each other. She actually did tell you this before, but that was cut when the bit about the nursery was made part of the intro so players couldn't not know about it. Simple fix of a couple phrases, that's all.
While the intro does state that you got to know Garth and Gwyn in the intro, she was pregnant then, and gave birth/built the nursery while we were unconscious, so the "Like I told you before" line should probably get changed.

Elfyr

Dec 26, 2022
I have encountered Etheryn as a companion. My first instinct was to talk to her as fully as possible and see what companions think of her. Once again, Atugia poses problem and, I'm fairly sure, is spoiling me that Etheryn has got a chastity cage by saying:

"On the other hand. If I could go back in time and beat her sisters jealous ass silly for puttin' that horrid cage on her. When we finally get that blasted thing off we'll need to do something to make up for all those years of lost time. She's such a cutie and she doesn't deserve that kind of torture at all!"

More importantly, Etheryn let me see finally see Carmen. And a discrepancy arises... again.

"The baroness steps out from the shadowy hall. She is much as you remember her from the last time you met"

I didn't understand why the Baronness and Atugia had such weird and contradicting dialogues. I wanted to know why but I couldn't find anything on Google. But at last, I found it when creating a new character:

You can encounter Atuiga either by going to Castle Hawkstone or by being assaulted in town.

The thing is, if you get to level 2 before going to the Castle, you get attacked by Atugia in the middle of town. It has unique dialogue and interactions, it is pretty nice. However, ALL the rest of her dialogue is written as if you fought her in front of the Castle.

For new players, the start is rough since Atuiga really broke continuity there. I really hope there isn't too much discrepancy after that

Last edited:

Melon_ear

Jul 27, 2022
What with needing Tui to progress Lumiaquest it's likely that she will get a third recruitment path for the people who visited the castle before she jumped them. Coming somewhere between this version and version 1.0

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
What with needing Tui to progress Lumiaquest it's likely that she will get a third recruitment path for the people who visited the castle before she jumped them. Coming somewhere between this version and version 1.0
That doesn't seem possible, y'know. I assume you mean Carmen's place, and, if you go there, either you've already recruited Tui from her attacking you, or you're getting attacked by Tui there and will recruit her there. If you visit Carmen, you will have fought Atugia.

Melon_ear

Jul 27, 2022
If you went to the castle before she jumps, eg you did it in a save from before her second recruitment was added, and don't want to fuck her you are shit out of luck.
Her new recruitment was really clunkily implemented. It would have been better to have Carmen offer her contract to you when you visit her after sorting out whatever threats ht was facing. Would have been more development for Carmen in her taking steps to indirectly try and attone for all the shit that went down in ht that she could not have interffered with due to her pacifism. More than she already did in making you champ of ht, or at all if you refuse anyway. And if you refuse she could just "keep it on the table" in case you change your mind.

Gardeford

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Coming this mayternity!
I do have one other gripe though. Why the heck can't we get Ahmri pregnant yet? She seems pretty darn willing and there's literally bits and pieces in sex scenes with her that tease the player with the possibility! lol I feel like she's such old content now, but I still absolutely adore her and wish she had just that little bit more to really seal the deal, like how Atani can get pregnant and even had a tiny bit of added content recently.
It's something i've always intended to do as an expansion for mayternity, but didn't want to do it the first year after she came out.

Gardeford

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I have encountered Etheryn as a companion. My first instinct was to talk to her as fully as possible and see what companions think of her. Once again, Atugia poses problem and, I'm fairly sure, is spoiling me that Etheryn has got a chastity cage by saying:

"On the other hand. If I could go back in time and beat her sisters jealous ass silly for puttin' that horrid cage on her. When we finally get that blasted thing off we'll need to do something to make up for all those years of lost time. She's such a cutie and she doesn't deserve that kind of torture at all!"

More importantly, Etheryn let me see finally see Carmen. And a discrepancy arises... again.

"The baroness steps out from the shadowy hall. She is much as you remember her from the last time you met"

I didn't understand why the Baronness and Atugia had such weird and contradicting dialogues. I wanted to know why but I couldn't find anything on Google. But at last, I found it when creating a new character:

You can encounter Atuiga either by going to Castle Hawkstone or by being assaulted in town.

The thing is, if you get to level 2 before going to the Castle, you get attacked by Atugia in the middle of town. It has unique dialogue and interactions, it is pretty nice. However, ALL the rest of her dialogue is written as if you fought her in front of the Castle.

For new players, the start is rough since Atuiga really broke continuity there. I really hope there isn't too much discrepancy after that

There shouldn't be after that, but i'm fixing some of the things you've mentioned like the cage mention and the trip talk. However as far as i can see on a fresh playthrough, the baroness talk isnt locked behind trip and comes before it in the menu, so im not sure what was up with that. I'm mentioning that trip should be locked behind it, though.

Talking about the godswar isnt really a tui problem in this case. It's something the pc knows that much about even when the player doesn't, so that's up to a codex being added at a later date.

CuteBruiser

Sep 9, 2022
I recently found the "Your joys with CoC II" thread from a while back, and I'd like to gripe about the fact that it's not pinned.

Sometimes I just want to be positive and gush about how great some parts of the game are, and from some of the recent posts on the forum, other people do too. :catte:

Status
Not open for further replies.