Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
That "and then" would explain how the Champ looks less proactive than Steele, at the start.
Except you've got the order of Captain Steele kind of backwards. Dead Dad therefore MC, because you're literally Victor's designer baby who was born to be his one legitimate child and the entire character creation is Victor deciding what he wants his future heir to be like. There's no agency on Captain Steele's part in this and the motivation that drives them throughout the game is provided to them by virtue of their origin as Victor's designer heir plus the Gaming Gods declaring that yes, you will be interested in finding all the probes and not just going out and having hot sex and unrelated adventures.

The only functional difference to how the protagonists are made is that TiTS provides a framing story for the character creation while CoC2 does not. I suppose it could be rewritten to start with you sitting down at Garth's and reflecting on your past as you're talking to him but that wouldn't substantially change anything. Once you've got your Champion, the tutorial gives you what will be your motivation for the rest of the game as a consequence of your actions as opposed to having it given to you before you were even born... or you can ignore Cait entirely because muh player agency, and then enjoy your premature end to the experience.

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
Except you've got the order of Captain Steele kind of backwards. Dead Dad therefore MC, because you're literally Victor's designer baby who was born to be his one legitimate child and the entire character creation is Victor deciding what he wants his future heir to be like. There's no agency on Captain Steele's part in this and the motivation that drives them throughout the game is provided to them by virtue of their origin as Victor's designer heir plus the Gaming Gods declaring that yes, you will be interested in finding all the probes and not just going out and having hot sex and unrelated adventures.

The only functional difference to how the protagonists are made is that TiTS provides a framing story for the character creation while CoC2 does not. I suppose it could be rewritten to start with you sitting down at Garth's and reflecting on your past as you're talking to him but that wouldn't substantially change anything. Once you've got your Champion, the tutorial gives you what will be your motivation for the rest of the game as a consequence of your actions as opposed to having it given to you before you were even born... or you can ignore Cait entirely because muh player agency, and then enjoy your premature end to the experience.
I think you're underestimating how much that framing story impacts the player's impression has of their avatar, even if people skip it after a first run. After character creation, TiTS really sells the Daddy Issues the MC as part of character motivation going forward.

I joke about character creation because it's unlikely to get in, but it can work. The questions at the start about Name, Race, Class, Background, and Sex can be fairly boilerplate. Then, you decide your appearance as a Demon is making yourself aware of your own body. It would be memorable, at least.

Given that the [Do Nothing] ending reinforces that Heroic Guilt for not helping, I can respect the implication by player choice that a Pure Champion simply Cares more than the people around them. But sometimes, a player can be more frustrated with the illusion of choice, than if the game was honest enough to take the lead. Imagine if you did nothing at first, the game had Garth reprimand the patrons, by extension you, about not worrying about possible cultists summoning whatever. Like a DM invoking curiousity through the backstory and asking if the player were sure, it would play out a lot better.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I was thinking more along the lines of framing things as the Champ talking to Garth, with the latter asking what's your story and where you've come from, which could be used to frame either telling him these things (like when you pick your Class and Background) or thinking about them to yourself if they wouldn't make much sense in the context of a conversation (height, wyld mark if you start as an elf, sexual characteristics...) which would still be clearly artificial but at least semi-integrated into the narrative. You can't really get it as seamless as TiTS just because of how the two stories are set up.

I'm also not sure how making Kas responsible for our appearance would be an improvement over sticking it right at the start if you really want to integrate the creation into the narrative,, especially if you're playing a Champ who isn't interested in any of Kas' TF offers.

As for the way the Do Nothing option works, Tobs has already explained that one.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
How are you able to pull up relevant links from various different times?
A memory like a steel(e) trap + the forum Search engine.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

• Haha
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Back when we made that choice, the secret "ending" of FarCry was still culturally relevant :p
I call hacks. Where is the Champ's joy flight with the Big Bad, raining hot lead cum on the heads of mere mortals?

I think you're underestimating how much that framing story impacts the player's impression has of their avatar, even if people skip it after a first run. After character creation, TiTS really sells the Daddy Issues the MC as part of character motivation going forward.
And that's why for me Anno is forever bottom tier (sorry, Savin) and why Ramis is best wife: she helps my Steele to charter a life's course together waaay the fuck away from daddy dearest and his (and megacorp in general) BS for after we get that check. Being a big cat lady full of love and badassery also helps, which is why Shade was Ramis's only real competition before getting a sidegrade into being my character's best relative.

--

Back to general griping: based on running several different characters through all of the content in the three starter zones (Old Forest, Foothills, and Harvest Valey) the Resolve combat seems entirely suboptimal as an option for any party that doesn't have two out of three characters specializing on it. So if I have vanilla Cait and Quin in my party and my Champ is 50/50 on dealing Resolve and HP damage, even foes that are explicitly vulnerable to Horny are easier to smack down than to tease into submission.

As a corollary to this, I'm bummed out by the fact that, apparently, the only Power dealing Pheromone type damage we can ever learn or steal is a level 6 Thief power. So all those beastkin type enemies with 75% Pheromone vulnerability just keep taunting me.

And finally, speaking of running: the fact that you don't get any HP and Resolve recovery after fleeing combat means that more often than not you are just trading one loss scene for another one in the future, unless you are stacked on healing items or right outside of camp/town.

Last edited:

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
As a corollary to this, I'm bummed out by the fact that, apparently, the only Power dealing Pheromone type damage we can ever learn or steal is a level 6 Thief power. So all those beastkin type enemies with 75% Pheromone vulnerability just keep taunting me.
The Rosebloom Shield converts damage from your Tease attack to Pheromone damage. Not a Power but it does let you take advantage of that weakness. Azzy's post-sleep perk also does the same thing on a temporary basis.

LonelyHydra

Apr 26, 2020
I'm also not sure how making Kas responsible for our appearance would be an improvement over sticking it right at the start if you really want to integrate the creation into the narrative,, especially if you're playing a Champ who isn't interested in any of Kas' TF offers.
It's not that she's responsible, she's just looking over your body.

Kas making flattering innuendos as the player chooses their appearance stats along with sexual boon, first lusting over our body before lusting after our soul. I don't think I'm able to explain any further how that`s terrifying and/or hot.

As for the way the Do Nothing option works, Tobs has already explained that one.
While I still think "the DM" just needs to ask the player if they want to kill/fuck demons or not, that was a decent enough answer. Much like the death of Aerith was meant to represent this thing called grief, I need to accept that a Champion that is Pure is Just Like That sometimes.

I will add that assuming subjectivity is so unknowable and unpenetrable is concerning as an artist. Sounds like quitter talk to me.

Back when we made that choice, the secret "ending" of FarCry was still culturally relevant :p
Don't all UbiSoft games do that now?

Last edited:

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
You can already dick over Arona, and I'd like to put more content down her Exile line later (either Bimbofication or Demonification or w/e -- something to balance out losing the Orc Camp on her Chieftain line).
I would like to nominate Twinkification as a route for Arona, for the following reasons amongst others :
  • She has a "might is right/strong is never wrong" mind set, so what happens when you so completely fail; Particularly when you define yourself by means of strength and independence which you now realize was only borrowed from your community. A community from which you are exiled.
  • Lots of characters get swoll, none of them get smoll
  • Bimbofication and Demonification are generic fates this feels more like a personal nightmare
  • A post cage Ryn can always return the favour
  • a more conient size to put across your lap and chastise until she pops her rocks
  • The default Futa body part setting is Ostentatious it might be nice to set it to modest for a change

It is just a suggestion and I will understand if you feel it may be pandering to a certain class of Arona hater

GEESE

Sep 27, 2018
However long it takes to re-encounter her sister, I assume. Maybe she's a boss in korminos? or maybe the one after. I want her freed toooooo.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
IIRC Demon Alissa went north, separately from Kassyra. (Romance path). Kassyra went east with her dragon "daughter" to her lab.

In the antagonist route they all head off toghether?

Her lab could be down at Khorminos, which might explain the higher than "normal" quantity of imps down there. Which might end up being quite a nasty thing to untangle...

Last edited:

GEESE

Sep 27, 2018
the only thing I'm working off of is I assume she'd be the type who would need to be queen somewhere, even if its not the ice palace. whats to the north, anyways? besides the rift

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
How far is the Ryn cage content, sigh she needn't wait long, right?
Either concurrent or immediately after the bulk of Khor'minos. You'll start seeing progress on it in a couple of patches though that should point out where it's taking place and why.
whats to the north, anyways? besides the rift
Uhhhh the North Pole?

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
the only thing I'm working off of is I assume she'd be the type who would need to be queen somewhere, even if its not the ice palace. whats to the north, anyways? besides the rift
There's perhaps the Lumian Keep. IIRC one of the squares of the Rift is the start of a bridge towards the keep, but it goes nowhere as said keep is not in game.

The Lumian keep is visible from just about anywhere on the ice shelf as long as the conditions are right. With clear skies, it's pale, bluish white terraces literally glow in the light of the sun or moon. Up close, its majesty is even more breathtaking. It isn't overly embellished, like some of the fantastical castles from ancient myth, but even it's functional elements evoke a sense of awe. Rather than feeling intimidated by its size, the great arches seem surprisingly inviting.

The path leading up to the keeps main gates looks to be hewn from sheer ice, but after a brief period of careful prodding you find that you can't slip on it even if you wanted to! Still, peering over the edge and skirting the sides is ill-advised.

Or that might be simply another part of winter city that's "accessible" from up top the glacier...

Either concurrent or immediately after the bulk of Khor'minos. You'll start seeing progress on it in a couple of patches though that should point out where it's taking place and why.

I assume that after Alissa and the cage are handled, that there would still be the issue of a possible coronation, which would need the crown (that the champion found) to be fixed. AAnd then who would be the new queen's consort, and if said consort would be married and errr...become king? Not sure about this last part. Don't know how the boreal elves handle this type of stuff.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf115

Uhhhh the North Pole?
Ok, btw the sigh was more of a wait type thing like, I'm bored.

Are you sure? I thought there was just some crazy old dude up there. (Referencing Skyrim, Septimus Sigmus.)

Lone Wolf115

Crown of Ice is entirely ancillary. Alissa has the actual royal crown that's been in use for 200 years.
(When the update to fight her comes out.)
Time to go Queen hunting.
So that means the one you find in the crypt is a ceremonial one.

What is in the right side of the crypt I was always, well best way to put it scared to find out?

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021

What is in the right side of the crypt I was always, well best way to put it scared to find out?
Uniwinnable fight against an unlimited ammount of ghosts.

CitrusWolf

May 19, 2020

the harem of the queen who were faithful to the Old Wyld, you can't win in a fight but if you surrender you win

Lone Wolf115

Lone Wolf115

It's literally unlimited my dude. That's not an exaggeration. You have to select defend or surrender to win.
Hmm well shit, I'll fight until low health or resolve then surrender, everyone has to know when they are beat.

Lusty fucking Queen she was.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
IIRC Demon Alissa went north, separately from Kassyra. (Romance path). Kassyra went east with her dragon "daughter" to her lab.
She actually went southeast, as Ryn will mention if you talk to her about Alissa afterwards. That means she's somewhere in the vague vicinity of Khor'minos, though as Ryn says it's unlikely she'd be in the city itself.

The Abyssal Depths dungeon actually provides two bits of relevant information: She has a new 'court' which Tollus has visited and most importantly for Ryn, she has her lethicite back as Kas handed the thing to her saying it wasn't fit to be consumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.