Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
It would be less obnoxious if for some godforsaken reason, you only get one "Retry" per encounter before having to do the ENTIRE dungeon all over again unless you're on the last boss.
Didn't catch it righ away, but haven't this been reported as a bug and fixed relatively recently?

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
There's "Defend".
What they mean by waiting instead of you doing an action the round your turn was given, you have option to delay it to lets say, turn after your allies. Which is different to defend since it takes up your action.

Like this. Lets say we have a combat encounter with A(llies), E(nemies) and C(hampion).

Round start: CEEEAEEA (starting turn order).
Champion chooses to wait: so the turn order turns into EEEACEEA .

So in this scenario, enemies after the champion go first since they chose to wait, then their Ally then champion. This is all by the way I think it would work.

I am not really advocating for this since game already has problem with manual control over entier party just turning game into easy mod. This, while having some obvious risks to it, could still make game even more mind numbing.

Just wanted to explain what they ment.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
I think BurnerBro means delaying their action in the initiative order to act later during the round. Many GMs hate fucking with an established initiative order, and I doubt many coders (and Savin) would want to implement a system that allows such a feature in this game.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
As others have described, 'Wait' would set the turn of a party member back on the initiative order, partially or all the way, so you can trade getting dunked on for the first part of the combat round for more reliable combo setups. It has been my favorite tactical flourish ever since playing HoMM 3 as a wee baby. And without spacial maneuvering it isn't anywhere near as broken when used against AI.

As a side note, 'Defend' action is currently bugged, so if a character uses it twice in a row you skip your turn on the second go without keeping the defense buff. Made a report some time ago.

(Edit: I gree with the point made below by TH that 'Ready' will work better as a name, avoiding unnecessary confusion)

Last edited:

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
My gripe for combat balancing is how adept certain enemies are at disarming the champion. Especially the imp group.

It was especially bad once in that they managed to keep my champion eternally disarmed. Disarm should be like getting knocked down, spend a turn to grab your weapon.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
It's called "Defend." It's just Wait but lets you live, too.
As a bunch of people have interpreted it, I think that what Burner intended with the "Wait" suggestion, given that
I'm also bummed up by the absence of 'Wait' option in combat, which makes deliberately setting up chains of abilities that much harder.
is the full sentence, is that it would let us delay an action until after another party member's actions. Given the use of Wait within previous games, I think it would probably be better to refer to it as a Ready, since that's what it's called in D&D 5e (I know that the combat/powers of CoC2 is based on D&D 4e, but as far as I'm aware 4e does not have a Ready action in its rules, unlike 5e, though it does have actions that can happen on the turns of other characters). Basically, delaying your turn until latter in the round so you can strike at a more opportune time for your party's tactics.

Mogrir

Feb 28, 2021
Didn't catch it righ away, but haven't this been reported as a bug and fixed relatively recently?
Apparently not, most encounters I only get a single Retry before being booted back to the main menu, which is part of why boss fights frustrate me so much. If RNG fucks me twice in a row, and it often does, I have to go through all the fights leading up to it again.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Apparently not, most encounters I only get a single Retry before being booted back to the main menu, which is part of why boss fights frustrate me so much. If RNG fucks me twice in a row, and it often does, I have to go through all the fights leading up to it again.
That's a bug.

• Wow

Irmo

Aug 8, 2021
Hm, not really a gripe, but it was a bit annoying that in Undermountain, you reach the limits of the available content at such a massive distance from the waystone. It's a huge trek back, and twice in the same zone.

Xenosium

Jun 18, 2021
It feels like a lot of the Undermountain combat encounters are designed for a higher level we don't have access to yet. My main character is almost exclusively designed to take physical hits like they are nothing and Earth Elemental goes "Don't care, 75% of your health is gone, also I get to go three times, so enjoy dying before its even your healer's turn." and then just walks off. Putting Frenzy on it really feels like a personal insult for even attempting to fight it. It already hits like a jet liner without it, all Frenzy does is make ALL moves instakill.

Every other fight is SWARMS of enemies with huge healthpools. Any team without a dedicated support-only character gets whittled down to nothing very fast, which is even more of a problem with the Undermountain currently being both the biggest area and the area with the least ways to exit, with only a waystone and the front door at the very start nearly 20 spaces away from some parts of the map. Not to mention any team without AOE is in for either a long fight or a very short loss.

Last edited:

NEEToskihime

Aug 7, 2021
I feel like the Champion is kinda stale. It feels like they are simply doing quest because that is the right thing to do. I know this isn't made by Fenoxo but in CoC 1 you understood the champion motivation was and whatever path they took felt natural for their character. While in CoC 2 I don't get why everyone has so much trust in the Champion. Weren't we basically a rando in a bar when Cait came barging in?

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
I feel like the Champion is kinda stale. It feels like they are simply doing quest because that is the right thing to do. I know this isn't made by Fenoxo but in CoC 1 you understood the champion motivation was and whatever path they took felt natural for their character. While in CoC 2 I don't get why everyone has so much trust in the Champion. Weren't we basically a rando in a bar when Cait came barging in?
Basically? But it was said, very clearly and multiple times within the prologue segment (and perhaps also in some scenes after) that Kasyrra has promised that she is going to steel the Champ's soul. The Champ has the choice of either giving up, laying down, and letting Kasyrra take their soul (something both Kas and the champ don't want, as Kas wants the Champ's soul to develop and become much stronger first) or playing into Kas's plan while trying to thwart her by getting stronger and fighting. If you go with the Romance route, presumably the Champ's motivation goes from "beat the shit out of Kas" to "fuck the shit out of Kas," but the journey still starts with the motivation of wanting to keep your soul safe.

NEEToskihime

Aug 7, 2021
Basically? But it was said, very clearly and multiple times within the prologue segment (and perhaps also in some scenes after) that Kasyrra has promised that she is going to steel the Champ's soul. The Champ has the choice of either giving up, laying down, and letting Kasyrra take their soul (something both Kas and the champ don't want, as Kas wants the Champ's soul to develop and become much stronger first) or playing into Kas's plan while trying to thwart her by getting stronger and fighting. If you go with the Romance route, presumably the Champ's motivation goes from "beat the shit out of Kas" to "fuck the shit out of Kas," but the journey still starts with the motivation of wanting to keep your soul safe.
Good point, I guess I am waiting for a twist like in CoC 1 and a more complex reason that isn't going to happen. I think I am expecting a similar story as CoC 1 in CoC 2. I still like CoC 2.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I guess I am waiting for a twist like in CoC 1
You mean the part after the first dungeon where the Champion's entire movitvation was thrown out the window and it turned out the whole quest (and the entire portal-guarding mechanic, too) were entirely pointless? :p

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
It feels like a lot of the Undermountain combat encounters are designed for a higher level we don't have access to yet. My main character is almost exclusively designed to take physical hits like they are nothing and Earth Elemental goes "Don't care, 75% of your health is gone, also I get to go three times, so enjoy dying before its even your healer's turn." and then just walks off. Putting Frenzy on it really feels like a personal insult for even attempting to fight it. It already hits like a jet liner without it, all Frenzy does is make ALL moves instakill.

Every other fight is SWARMS of enemies with huge healthpools. Any team without a dedicated support-only character gets whittled down to nothing very fast, which is even more of a problem with the Undermountain currently being both the biggest area and the area with the least ways to exit, with only a waystone and the front door at the very start nearly 20 spaces away from some parts of the map. Not to mention any team without AOE is in for either a long fight or a very short loss.
Banishment one-shots the Earth Elemental, at least in my experience.

Aside from that, it may be important to get the bonuses you get from sleeping to traverse the path, aside from the bonus from either trail rations or bento boxes.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
The Champ gets a soft motivation baked into his chosen background, explaining why he is in the Marches in the first place and then three main plot hooks on top of that in the form of Kas's threat, the lure of her power (or her ass) and caring about Cait. For pretty much any proactive character you can imagine one ir seceral of those will provide sufficient motivation, and then comes the side content and the machinations of all the magical assholes that seem to have all the power in these lands. Getting one up on Kas, the Baroness, Evergreen, Keros and his pet fluffy horrors at the same time is high on the list of goals for half of my characters.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
The Champ gets a soft motivation baked into his chosen background, explaining why he is in the Marches in the first place and then three main plot hooks on top of that in the form of Kas's threat, the lure of her power (or her ass) and caring about Cait. For pretty much any proactive character you can imagine one ir seceral of those will provide sufficient motivation, and then comes the side content and the machinations of all the magical assholes that seem to have all the power in these lands. Getting one up on Kas, the Baroness, Evergreen, Keros and his pet fluffy horrors at the same time is high on the list of goals for half of my characters.
Getting one up on Evergreen... how would someone do that? She seems rather powerful.

Is that Evil Evergreen still a thing? I don't know...

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
the Baroness

She sleeps all day and is hella depressed. Carmen doesn't belong in a group with those others.

Getting one up on Evergreen... how would someone do that? She seems rather powerful.

Yeah, it's called stabbing the disgusting tanuki so no one has to deal with her and her repugnant actions ever again. I doubt she's anywhere near as powerful as Komari or Kas. I'm pretty sure she's evil, she just doesn't broadcast it outside her home too much so those hero types don't come after her. Stupid heroes. Always rolling and back hopping everywhere, and silently breaking jars for money.

Xenosium

Jun 18, 2021
Banishment one-shots the Earth Elemental, at least in my experience.

Aside from that, it may be important to get the bonuses you get from sleeping to traverse the path, aside from the bonus from either trail rations or bento boxes.
Banishment has massive bonus damage against ethereal and construct enemies. But it can also be used once per entire trip, unless you're putting up a tent every five feet, and Earth Elementals are NOT as uncommon as they should be.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
Banishment has massive bonus damage against ethereal and construct enemies. But it can also be used once per entire trip, unless you're putting up a tent every five feet, and Earth Elementals are NOT as uncommon as they should be.
Yes, I do bring a couple of tents to be used as disposable. There's practically no safe enough space in the undermountain to pitch a tent and it be a permanent camp.

Xenosium

Jun 18, 2021
It makes sense that nowhere is safe, you're running around in tunnels. Anybody going your way is required to walk straight through the middle of camp. Heck, some of the minotaur patrols probably just kicked it down because it was blocking the path.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
By the time we will get to the point where the Champ and Crew are able to become an actual roadblock or siginificant help to Kas and her plans, dealing with one clan of weird 'nuki casters shouldn't be impossible. Whether or not we will be given an opportunity - no idea; it will be a bummer if not. Same with everyone else on my list. The only thing that got hard confirmed as out of the question when I asked is seriously harming the Seven through our own schemes, gotta play the second fiddle to Kas.

She sleeps all day and is hella depressed. Carmen doesn't belong in a group with those others.
I mean, from what we see of her Oxana spends all her time breeding little nukis and baking them tasty cookies. She is barely more proactive than Carmen in a stereotypical reclusive witch kinda way, helping people for an unconventional and morally dubious price. Both the Baroness and Lady Evergreen are shady as fuck and kinda sorta soft confirmed by Aryugia to suck souls or deal very closely with soul suckers. Carmen specifically is a shitty neglectful ruler on top of everything else, one that my more power hungry characters would love to relieve of all those bothersome lands, titles, riches and magic secrets.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf115

There's something big behind the Earth Elemental, if you use Quin's ability where he cloaks himself in fire the elemental takes resolve damage. Just a theory of something bigger behind it.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
There's something big behind the Earth Elemental, if you use Quin's ability where he cloaks himself in fire the elemental takes resolve damage. Just a theory of something bigger behind it.
That's because resolve damage does not always equate to "erotic warfare". If I remember it correctly, it gets also affected by Bimbo Azzyrran's Allure.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Evergreen would set off Detect Evil if that were a thing in the setting and the reason more hasn't been done there is that due to how many things Savin's been working on, we've just gotten the last of her base content and there's more to come via expansions. Which side you wind up taking whenever that content arrives is up to you.
Don't care what anyone says Evergreen may be evil (still not seeing it)
You've noticed how she has two different sorts of daughters, right? Some more human-looking and some more furry? There's a reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.