Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleep

Oct 24, 2018
said things

Actually, now that I think about it and think that I understand better what you mean, it could be interesting to have something like that:

Let's take Evelyn for example (given the fact that she's the one on topic) and she could give you the task of wearing a maid dress for a week, or not Cumming in a whole day (like mini misions), those kind of tasks and if you fail them, next time you go see her you have a punishment (maybe some soft punishment first, like a rough fucking without letting you cum, then harsher pinishments each time you fail, like forcing you to wear a blue balling pearcing during your adventure) and that makes you get slowly corrupted together.

Man @Wsan if you don't take this idea I may create a character to do this. It's a bluff, I don't think I can write english well enough

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
My sword might have a unique name, but it's still a sword and outside of situations where its name is called for, i'd just call it my sword, as would anyone who wasn't a pretentious knob.
Hey, my pretentious knob of a Warrior resents that implication and does indeed call that sword by its full name because [insert five minute rant on named weapons and soul and passion and blah blah]. But she's not quite pretentious enough to have named her knob yet. Though maybe Ryn will give it one (Winter City)
After that cage comes off. She's been saving herself for then because she's a hopeless romantic.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Many weapons are primarily functional and relatively disposable.

Other weapons are well-crafted and meant for extended use, either on the battlefield or ceremonially/ritually. Such weapons enjoy an importance far beyond the functional purpose of stabbing some poor bastard fighting for the wrong side, especially in contexts where arms and armor constitute major repositories of movable wealth. Naming the latter is a practice common to many cultures.

And yet, with all that, I still kind of think that people who name their weapons are pretentious knobs.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
I feel like some of the item parsers really ought to have a more generic outcome when it comes to uniques, things like: "You draw your Galon's Griefmaker as the figure barrels across the bridge" sound clunky and weird and would be much better if it was given the standard name such that you'd get: "You draw your sword as the figure barrels across the bridge". My sword might have a unique name, but it's still a sword and outside of situations where its name is called for, i'd just call it my sword, as would anyone who wasn't a pretentious knob.
Maybe someday, super low priority though.

Reactions: Malidica

Eastin

Aug 3, 2016
we don't want players to feel punished for interacting with the NPCs in the game.
I certainly felt punished when i, in my "innocence", decided to take the corrupt path when first dealing with Hretha and raped Infrith, not knowing that unlike coc1 and to some extent tits, where a corrupt path for these characters would start, i instead would be locked out of any further interaction with these characters and as a consequence of that, also locked out of Ragnild pregnancy content.

This is the only instance where something like this occurs, but still irks me to this day

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I certainly felt punished when i, in my "innocence", decided to take the corrupt path when first dealing with Hretha and raped Infrith, not knowing that unlike coc1 and to some extent tits, where a corrupt path for these characters would start,
Being a rape-y asshole has consequences, hold the presses!

No, really, Hretha begs you to leave Infrith alone and the tooltip explicitly tells you that going ahead with it will lock you out of their content going forward. You have nobody to blame but yourself if you ignored it.

A

Athena

I dunno if maybe this is a bug, but I noticed that Fritte has a cropped bust in the game's CG files where she's fully clothed, and personally I would prefer this be her default when she appears unless you choose to have sex with her. I'll admit, I'm not a fan of dick-chicks, and I usually only choose to engage with her trope for Merielle's scenes, and/or Elaril if I'm playing as a female character. Not getting an eyeful of oversized horse-cock whenever I'm going through the woods would greatly increase my enjoyment of this game.

Attachments

• fritte.DCL.0.png
    fritte.DCL.0.png
    78 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Tendril

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I dunno if maybe this is a bug, but I noticed that Fritte has a cropped bust in the game's CG files where she's fully clothed, and personally I would prefer this be her default when she appears unless you choose to have sex with her. I'll admit, I'm not a fan of dick-chicks, and I usually only choose to engage with her trope for Merielle's scenes, and/or Elaril if I'm playing as a female character. Not getting an eyeful of oversized horse-cock whenever I'm going through the woods would greatly increase my enjoyment of this game.
"Fully clothed"
Bruh that ain't at all "fully" clothed :p (I get what you mean but it's not exactly the word I'd use to describe the bust seeing as that's a skimpy getup)

codexians

Jun 10, 2020
I want more male on male content. Maybe an option to make the demon male or female (which I know is super hard to do code-wise) or change her appearance/personality. Right now she just really unattractive to me hahaha. Any time she hits on my PC I am just like 'ewwww no thanks, I'd rather eat glass,' and I skip through the scene. Or some way to just not see content that I don't like.

Mostly, just more males in companions and everything, no just super fembois either, like between Brint and Regular Man.

I keep going back and forth on supporting this game on Paetron because of this kinda stuff. heheheheh

Reactions: Record
A

Athena

This puts you at odds with probably 90% of our playerbase.

I am well aware of that fact, believe me. With that said, if the art is already there, I don't see why it can't be used? If nothing else, it would make things more consistant.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I dunno if maybe this is a bug, but I noticed that Fritte has a cropped bust in the game's CG files where she's fully clothed, and personally I would prefer this be her default when she appears unless you choose to have sex with her.
That might well be a bug, since the art's otherwise just sitting there in the code.

Not getting an eyeful of oversized horse-cock whenever I'm going through the woods would greatly increase my enjoyment of this game.
More for the rest of us then! :p
I want more male on male content. Maybe an option to make the demon male or female (which I know is super hard to do code-wise) or change her appearance/personality.
Kasyrra is kind of central to the story and her appearance is part of who and what she is, so she's not gonna go changing genders and her personality is what it is too. It can change depending on what her relationship to the Champion is, but her basic mindset and goals aren't going anywhere.

Now, I'm guessing that there's gonna be a fair bit more masculine content in the eventual Khor'minos expansion. All those big, burly minotaur men looking for some relief... what's a Champion to do but help them out?

A

Athena

Content filters for the win!

To be fair, I've played through a good chunk of the game without having to worry about content I wasn't interested in. That was just one of those things that bugged me during my last playthrough, so to find out that the solution is there, just not hooked up (at least in the latest public patch) kinda threw me over the edge. I think I'll go ahead and write up a bug report, just in case.

Reactions: Savin

codexians

Jun 10, 2020
Kasyrra is kind of central to the story and her appearance is part of who and what she is, so she's not gonna go changing genders and her personality is what it is too. It can change depending on what her relationship to the Champion is, but her basic mindset and goals aren't going anywhere.

Obviously. And it will likely mean I will never support the project financially. And concerning the minotaurs, I ought not have to wade through most of the game to access that content.

To be fair, I've played through a good chunk of the game without having to worry about content I wasn't interested in. That was just one of those things that bugged me during my last playthrough, so to find out that the solution is there, just not hooked up (at least in the latest public patch) kinda threw me over the edge. I think I'll go ahead and write up a bug report, just in case.

I continually get content about some ice queen I have never met and would never want to have sex with judging by the dream description. Which throws me into another rant about how dreams should be skippable or avoidable especially when they are counter to my PC's sexual interests. I am with you Athena, it keep getting that kinda stuff.

A

Athena

"Fully clothed"
Bruh that ain't at all "fully" clothed :p (I get what you mean but it's not exactly the word I'd use to describe the bust seeing as that's a skimpy getup)

Fully clothed was the wrong word, yeah. The busts are divided into standard and nude busts, but in Fritte's case, her nude bust is always used as of the latest public patch, despite having a standard one where she isn't nude. Anyways, I'll chalk that up as an unintended feature and move on.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
It's nowhere near "unintended". The wyld elf troupe are hippies out in the forest for sex. Of course they're going to be in their birthday suits.

Fritte's "clothed" bust was created for purposes that may or may not materialise.

Reactions: Alypia

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I continually get content about some ice queen I have never met and would never want to have sex with judging by the dream description.
<Ryn immediately begins to tear up>

Now look what you've done! :p But seriously, get Ryn to high Confidence and notice how that dream changes.

Which throws me into another rant about how dreams should be skippable or avoidable
Four words: Ring of Pure Thought. Don't want sexy dreams? Then use it and they'll (mostly) go away.

By the way, you quoted me twice, but that second post wasn't mine. Just sayin'.

especially when they are counter to my PC's sexual interests.
The devs have been very clear that content filtering is not going to be a thing, ever. For one thing it would be an absolute bitch to code. The writing is premised on the idea that your character is pansexual, it's up to you to mentally filter out anything that doesn't fit with how you're choosing to roleplay the character.

A

Athena

It's nowhere near "unintended". The wyld elf troupe are hippies out in the forest for sex. Of course they're going to be in their birthday suits.

Fritte's "clothed" bust was created for purposes that may or may not materialise.

Oh, okay....I mean, renaming the busts works just fine. So long as I'm still able to do that from now on, it shouldn't be an issue. I can do that for Arona, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Four words: Ring of Pure Thought. Don't want sexy dreams? Then use it and they'll (mostly) go away.
I like almost all of the content and dreams in the game, but I don't like this point. Why? Because across all of the characters I've made for CoC2, which is a lot, I've never once had the encounter that allows for you to attain the ring. It requires you to get at least 5 dreams, which means you'll already have to sit through several before you get the opportunity (though you can essentially just skip through dreams), then you have to go to the east gate during the night (only a 6 hour window, too), and then you have to engage in a fight to get the ring. Of course, you'll probably win, since, by the time you've had 5 dreams, you're probably at least level 2, and the fight is against one enemy. But even aside from that, it's still overly long to acquire for people who actually do not want to engage in that content, especially since it straight up forces you to engage in that content at least 5 times before you can block it, and it takes up a ring slot. The ring slot isn't all that important, there's rather few rings, but if you prefer running two different rings for your build/playstyle, you'll need to engage in extra steps to unequip and re-equip rings so that you can block out the dreams. As the ring shows, there's already a way to block out erotic dreams. So why not just have it be an option in the options menu, rather than a ring that, ultimately, is a much more inefficient manner of blocking it out for people who don't want to see it?

RedIce2112

Jul 22, 2019
Can't you buy it from Vivianna or am I thinking of another item. For that you only need 1 dream and to encounter her twice

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
My biggest gripe with CoC 2 so far is definitely the combat system. I absolutely loathe it, and it comes across as the worst part of the game for me. It's not so bad when fighting single targets, but even then sometimes it still can just... fall apart.

Really, the main issue is with companions. I'm doing the Winter City stuff and I come across a fight with 4 enemies. Well, what would be the best way to approach this fight? "Well, take out the ads first I suppose. They can deal a fair bit of damage, especially on a critical, and combine that with the mean hits from the main baddie and I could be in for a rough time."
Unfortunately, my companions disagree. Or do they? First turn Brint tries to take out one of the ads and puts them on low enough health to outright kill them next turn. So what does he do, finish the enemy off? Pffft no just attack the main baddie I mean it's only like 500 hp lmao and oh would you look at that the ad you didn't finish off then went and did a critical strike on me and my Senninbari triggers. If I wasn't wearing it, that would've been it. Fight over.

I had to take a break from playing after an absolutely frustrating turn.
All three ads had about like 30-40 hp, and with 3 companions they easily could've finished them all off in one turn and then the fight would've been in the bag. So what do they do? Every single one of them attacks the main baddie and I'm sitting here getting completely moshed by every enemy attacking me, the main healer for the party. Fight would've been long over if I didn't have a Senninbari to save my butt and wasn't healing myself literally every single turn.

Gosh, it reminds me of the first fight I had with the Drider Queen. She was on 20 hp because of Berwyn's attack and it was Brint's turn, so what does he do? Frenzy, obviously. Why would you finish off the opponent with literally any other attack you could possibly use? Ugh.

Another issue I have with the combat is when you are fighting two opponents and they basically get four turns to your three. Not very fun to die in a single turn because all four of their powerful attacks targeted you. Ended up happening on the bridge fight, and is the reason I made 100% sure to have a Senninbari from that point onwards. I would've actually lost the bridge fight to the same thing happening again if I didn't have a Senninbari there as well.

The thing that irks me the most is... I could turn on easy mode and fly through combat, but the combat system is complex enough to actually be kinda interesting and I know myself and my companions are strong enough to deal with the fights on Normal, so there shouldn't be any need to turn on easy mode... but the RNG for companions is so bad and sometimes their decision making is so cringeworthy I am losing fights I could easily win. I think I'd quite enjoy the combat system if I could control what moves my companions use, but having to roll the dice every time I click the turn button just kills it for me. I'm playing an RPG, not a gambling simulator.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Threat management.

Threat determines how the AI selects targets. This goes even for your companions. Target selection is not completely random.

If you absolutely must have a companion perform an action, switch to manual control for a round and swap back then it's done. There are ways, like Mark for Death, to manipulate how threatening your companions consider targets. Of course the central target, with high damage and/or healing, is much more likely to grab their attention than the adds.

If enemies focus on you, you are generating too much threat before your tank can grab threat.

VynalDerp

Jun 26, 2019
Threat management.

Threat determines how the AI selects targets. This goes even for your companions. Target selection is not completely random.

If you absolutely must have a companion perform an action, switch to manual control for a round and swap back then it's done. There are ways, like Mark for Death, to manipulate how threatening your companions consider targets. Of course the central target, with high damage and/or healing, is much more likely to grab their attention than the adds.

If enemies focus on you, you are generating too much threat before your tank can grab threat.
Does healing generate threat? Usually the only ability I use is Smite, which can do anywhere from 70 damage to 200 if I can get a critical (which is very rare). I have been in many fights were I don't get a single attack off aside from Smite and yet I am the one getting plastered. Does Brint have any abilities to draw threat away from me or something? I believe warrior class can draw threat towards themselves, but I don't think I've ever seen Brint using a similar ability (unless it's Frenzy but in that case he ends up getting staggered next turn anyway). He ends up barely being attacked out of my group, despite him being the only one who can reliably tank.

And, it still doesn't really excuse the AI making poor decisions. Why would Brint use Frenzy rather than attacking versus one 20 hp opponent? Even just a non-killing smack would do, but apparently it's better to trigger Frenzy so you can get staggered when you're hit by a cleave next turn? Still frustrating either way.

I didn't know you could manually control a companion, though. Is it in the settings or something? I can't seem to find a button for it anywhere, but maybe I'm just blind or dumb. It would really help to make the combat system less frustrating at times.

edit: Oh! I found the button, and I'm not going to lie and say the combat system just dramatically improved. I didn't even know companions had ultimate abilities (never seen them used, even 250 days into the game) so I was just able to end a fight in literally a handful of turns instead of a big slogfest like many other fights. Thanks!

Last edited:

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Does healing generate threat?

Yes, at double the rate of damage per point if I'm not wrong.

I have been in many fights were I don't get a single attack off aside from Smite and yet I am the one getting plastered.

The exact way threat works is that when the AI selects a target, it will divide the probability between the proportion of threat each member possesses. If you, Brint and Cait have 1/1/1 threat each, each of you have a 33% chance of being targeted. Change that to 3/1/1 and the odds are 60/20/20 respectively. The red/yellow/green gem on the upper left of the each participant's combat screen represents how relatively threatening each one is to the opposing team.

Of course if you open with a big-hitter like smite evil when everyone else doesn't have much built up the proportional shift to you is massive with a high threat spike right at the start. What did you expect? You created your own problem.

I believe warrior class can draw threat towards themselves, but I don't think I've ever seen Brint using a similar ability (unless it's Frenzy but in that case he ends up getting staggered next turn anyway). He ends up barely being attacked out of my group, despite him being the only one who can reliably tank.

Brint is not a protection warrior, he is a fury warrior. He has no means of holding aggro except for pure damage, and none of his abilities generate increased threat; neither are you giving him any chance to build aggro before unloading. Of course he's not going to be attacked. Don't look at the classes, look at what abilities they have. Classes mean very little in this game save for perks, and companions more often than not don't even follow class perks and have their uniques.

And, it still doesn't really excuse the AI making poor decisions. Why would Brint use Frenzy rather than attacking versus one 20 hp opponent? Even just a non-killing smack would do, but apparently it's better to trigger Frenzy so you can get staggered when you're hit by a cleave next turn? Still frustrating either way.

The AI runs on generalities; it can't account for every edge case where X would be better than Y, because in another edge case Y would be better than X and then someone else would complain. Nor does the game warrant super complex AI that does a reasonable impression of reading your mind and figuring out exactly what you want, when you want it. It's good enough when we run it with player control against most encounters most of the time, and that's sufficient for us when we test it against benchmark encounters. The perfect is the enemy of the good and all that.

I didn't know you could manually control a companion, though. Is it in the settings or something? I can't seem to find a button for it anywhere, but maybe I'm just blind or dumb. It would really help to make the combat system less frustrating at times.

You can change between full auto, player control, and full manual in the options, or the in the combat screen on the fly when it's the champion's turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.