The Nursery

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
So, the way I resolve the inconsistencies is to assume that the typical transformative actually does change the person's genes, but most people's immune boosters specifically preserve the reproductive cells as they originally were.  Occasionally a change slips through, which means if a large population takes the same mods consistently across multiple generations it eventually sticks.  The huskar have been doing this intentionally to preserve their adaptations, the New Texans have been semi-unintentionally doing the same with the Treatment as of at least Reaha's generation.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Yeah that's why she says it wasn't because of her parents using gene mods.

Right, and technically the character creation part of the game is modding the unborn Steele, but I've always gotten the impression that it happening is very rare and uppercrusty in where it happened. 

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Yeah that's why she says it wasn't because of her parents using gene mods.

Syri also says that to her knowledge it's illegal to mess with your child's genes in such a way.

So, the way I resolve the inconsistencies is to assume that the typical transformative actually does change the person's genes, but most people's immune boosters specifically preserve the reproductive cells as they originally were.  Occasionally a change slips through, which means if a large population takes the same mods consistently across multiple generations it eventually sticks.  The huskar have been doing this intentionally to preserve their adaptations, the New Texans have been semi-unintentionally doing the same with the Treatment as of at least Reaha's generation.

Sounds like a good and plausible explanation, although the easier alternative would be the programming put into the mod itself by the developer restricting the re-writing of reproductive cells. After all, the likes of Xenogen would want to make money from every generation.

Mainly because even the most basic immuno-boosters doesn't strike me as something that would be available to every UGC citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
We're delving away from the main topic, but I feel I should play Devil's Advocate and add that gene mods don't necessarily need to rewrite the genetic code of a person. Considering how fast they work, faster than most cells undergo mitosis by a large factor, the mods themselves are physically altering the composition of the body in such a way that DNA of the cells probably isn't even needed, just the preprogrammed idea of what needs to change. Obviously as is the case in rare specimens like Kelly and the population of NT and huskar that's not the case for all, but it could be for some.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
We're delving away from the main topic, but I feel I should play Devil's Advocate and add that gene mods don't necessarily need to rewrite the genetic code of a person. Considering how fast they work, faster than most cells undergo mitosis by a large factor, the mods themselves are physically altering the composition of the body in such a way that DNA of the cells probably isn't even needed, just the preprogrammed idea of what needs to change. Obviously as is the case in rare specimens like Kelly and the population of NT and huskar that's not the case for all, but it could be for some.

They probably do still need to at least make some genetic changes so that you body still recognizes the altered parts of you as a part of your body/ your immune system doesn't react to them as foreign pathogens. An inproperly formated mod seems like it would be a really fast way to develop an autoimmune disease. That and the cells need updated genetics so that if steele gets injured the recovering cells will grow back as the new type that they've been modded to be rather than according to your old genetics.

K

Krynh

They probably do still need to at least make some genetic changes so that you body still recognizes the altered parts of you as a part of your body/ your immune system doesn't react to them as foreign pathogens. An inproperly formated mod seems like it would be a really fast way to develop an autoimmune disease. That and the cells need updated genetics so that if steele gets injured the recovering cells will grow back as the new type that they've been modded to be rather than according to your old genetics.

Yeah, which is what happend to vic. He took so many that it caused damage to his body 

Last edited:

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, which is what happend to vic. He took so many that it caused damage to his body 

Definitely agree with that. Easy way to explain how something that changes your genetic code doesn't get passed on

You quoted same person and post twice, accident?

K

Krynh

You quoted same person and post twice, accident?

I quoted Nik (or at least I thought I did) but somehow it quotes Milk again... It's this daft saving feature which remains even after you post.

Sounds like a good and plausible explanation, although the easier alternative would be the programming put into the mod itself by the developer restricting the re-writing of reproductive cells. After all, the likes of Xenogen would want to make money from every generation. Mainly because even the most immuno-boosters doesn't strike me as something that would be available to every UGC citizen.

Definitely agree with that. Easy way to explain how something that changes your genetic code doesn't get passed on

Last edited: