Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Was actually playing whatever latest JAR I had compiled before taking a break last night - I'll look into it. I'm unsure of why CombatStats is missing when I recall working on it.

Just comment it out and references to it. I'll see if I can get myself back up and running between fresh IDE and GIT.

EDIT: It's fixed. Also, caught a mistake with SizeMod, so I fixed that, too.

Last edited:

aattss

Dec 16, 2017
So, I've been following this thread off and on since when it was still getting updates. How's the update going? Just curious.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Lurks around, looking for life~

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
I've managed to find some spare brainpower recently! Here's where I'm at:
  • All parts of the core game logic (the day/night cycle, daytime activities, moving around the map at night, and combat) operate as an explicit loop. This eliminates certain classes of bugs and makes the game way easier to reason about.
  • Errors are much noisier than they used to be. If you get kicked out of a running game to the character creation menu, it's because something went wrong (programmer error) and you should send us the nightgames_log.txt file.
  • Buttons should not randomly stop working anymore.
  • My build is stable enough for me to level a character up to 70ish (so far). Last time I posted, I typically ran into a game-breaking bug by the end of the second night.
  • The code is organized sensibly enough for me to spot bugs masquerading as game balance issues, and vice versa.
Of course, I haven't fixed everything. Known issues:
  • I recognize that errors kicking you out of the game without telling you why isn't the most helpful thing ever.
  • There are some inconsistencies in how the UI displays (where newlines are and how many, when do the meters and statuses refresh, when does the text clear, etc.)
  • I had to disable button font resizing due to a weird error I couldn't track to its source, so the button text is small.
  • Some initial addiction messages show up multiple times. Haven't figured out why.
  • I haven't incorporated any changes that were made after v2.5.1.2.
  • I haven't updated any changelogs.
You can download the latest build here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dOYRLWaWN822QGT0n2lM_gYXsoUCic1O

You can also get the source from https://github.com/Ryplinn/nightgamesmod/tree/stable.

Last edited:

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
Found a bug that needs squashing. I found a few, actually, didn't remember to save the logs from them unfortunately. Still, are you sure you shared the right version? This one seems to be crashing to main menu before I can even complete night 1.

Attachments

• nightgames_log.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 2

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
I've updated the build. I should have mentioned that I hadn't tried out the level drain challenge. I have now, and ran into the same bug you found.

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
New bugs, seemingly issues with loading saves causing crashes. Admittedly, this might have been my fault, but considering that there is no "saves from previous version are not compatible warning" and there's no warning that editing save files with Notepad++ (which worked in previous iterations just fine) could make save files useless, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Attachments

• nightgames_log.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 1

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
The save files themselves should be fine, as long as they're still valid JSON. The crashes I'm seeing in your log are from the game state not clearing itself correctly while loading when currently in a game, I think. For now, a workaround is to close and reopen the program when you want to reload a save.

Zermelane

Jun 16, 2017
Okay, I gave this (the most recent code on stable) a quick run, and... I've never worked with Swing before, so this might be a really stupid question, but: Isn't access to GUI.textPane supposed to be happening in the event dispatch thread? Because the game freezes as soon as I click on "Start the match", and as far I understand Swing, it should freeze immediately, on any platform, as soon as you do basically anything in the game. Simply tossing the few accesses to textPane inside SwingUtils.invokeLater makes it work perfectly. I'd send a pull request if I had even the slightest idea why the game is working at all for anyone.

(that said, that confusing detail aside this is looking like good work - NGM can be so annoying sometimes when you try whatever's the most recent code you can find and it turns out to be even more of a total mess than the last time you saw it. This work seems to be taking the game in the right direction for a change.)

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
Isn't access to GUI.textPane supposed to be happening in the event dispatch thread?
That would probably be sensible. There's plenty of code in NGM that still operates under the assumption that everything runs on the event thread. I think it works at all right now because the main thread and event threads have enough downtime to allow both threads to access UI elements, generally.

Depending on the context of the GUI.textPane accesses, it may be better to use SwingUtils.invokeAndWait(). I don't know if there's anywhere that needs to enforce synchronicity like that, though.

I also forgot to push the changes I made between the Jan 15 and Jan 17 packages, so what's on Github is a bit behind. I'll be updating that soon.

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
So, mild bug that doesn't seem to have broken anything, but is probably not as intended - if you load a save from the end of the first night, go through the process of getting all the shops and such from the info broker, then reload the save, you'll get back all of the time spent doing that, but you won't actually lose access to any of the stores you should only have found out about by talking to the info broker.

Attachments

• nightgames_log.txt
    25.9 KB · Views: 2

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
Good catch. This affected every "flag" in the game, although it wouldn't do anything permanent until your next save. Fixed in build 2019-01-25_0.

afrg

Jan 26, 2019
Hey, I had the idea that it would be nice to be able to play against 'myself', i.e. my player character, controlled by the AI.
I made a mechanism where the player can 'switch places' with an NPC for one night, and it seems to work surprisingly well.
I've uploaded my stuff here: https://github.com/afrgafrg/nightgamesmod
If you're interested, I'll create a proper pull request once I've tested everything to my satisfaction.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@Ryplinn

There's a bug that misshapes elements of the GUI, including the top menu bar and buttons. There's also a bug with the text window that allows text to write over text.

I haven't had much time to check in detail, but let us know if there's anything git-related to be done, since I'm unsure if I should pull it or wait, or people can merge some of my own content/changes.

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
Hey, I had the idea that it would be nice to be able to play against 'myself', i.e. my player character, controlled by the AI.
I made a mechanism where the player can 'switch places' with an NPC for one night, and it seems to work surprisingly well.
I've uploaded my stuff here: https://github.com/afrgafrg/nightgamesmod
If you're interested, I'll create a proper pull request once I've tested everything to my satisfaction.

Neat! Looks like the sort of thing you could build an NPC or event around. Unfortunately, a feature change of this scale is outside the scope of my current project aims.

afrg

Jan 26, 2019
Neat! Looks like the sort of thing you could build an NPC or event around. Unfortunately, a feature change of this scale is outside the scope of my current project aims.
No worries, we can always integrate it later. There's something super weird going on anyway, where combat sometimes works as intended and sometimes mixes things up in the strangest ways... It's going to take some work, so no rush.

Ryplinn

Jun 13, 2016
@Ryplinn

There's a bug that misshapes elements of the GUI, including the top menu bar and buttons. There's also a bug with the text window that allows text to write over text.

I haven't had much time to check in detail, but let us know if there's anything git-related to be done, since I'm unsure if I should pull it or wait, or people can merge some of my own content/changes.
Yes, those are known issues. I haven't looked into them since they aren't game-breaking right now. Fixing them will probably be a part of the step 12 UI pass. If you like, posting issues on my issue tracker will help me not forget about them.

I leave whether to pull the changes into your branch up to you. On one hand, I don't consider the rewrite done and will be making more major changes, which would mean having to do this again later. On the other hand, my progress on this rewrite can charitably be described as "intermittent." If you feel that using my branch as-is would, on balance, be easier than not, please do so!

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Yes, those are known issues. I haven't looked into them since they aren't game-breaking right now. Fixing them will probably be a part of the step 12 UI pass. If you like, posting issues on my issue tracker will help me not forget about them.

I leave whether to pull the changes into your branch up to you. On one hand, I don't consider the rewrite done and will be making more major changes, which would mean having to do this again later. On the other hand, my progress on this rewrite can charitably be described as "intermittent." If you feel that using my branch as-is would, on balance, be easier than not, please do so!

Yeah, I understand - from the user perspective people are looking at my branch, your branch, people's small personal changes branches, and I haven't gotten a whole lot of messages about fixes or improvements.

This is really good start, though. If you don't mind, try to get all the little stuff I've added for characters and daytimes, including some of the demonic trait descriptions, Maya and Eve content and daytimes. That's the most important stuff I've done outside of bugfixes. At least then it's fewer things to edit back in or resolve big conflicts.

afrg

Jan 26, 2019
I converted pretty much all skills to use the proper formatting facilities instead of assuming all opponents are female, and the same for combat/encounter messages. I only touched existing text, though, and some stuff still assumes certain anatomy to be present. (So when encountering a male opponent, there would be a scene written for a female opponent, but with masculine pronouns.)

I'll leave it up to you two to decide if/when/where to merge this stuff: https://github.com/afrgafrg/nightgamesmod/tree/gender-fixes

kuschelpuh

Mar 23, 2017
@afrg i would love a compiled version of yours (being able to swap players sounds like a pretty good idea, even tho it might come with immersion flaws, but gameplay wise id love to test it)

afrg

Jan 26, 2019
@afrg i would love a compiled version of yours (being able to swap players sounds like a pretty good idea, even tho it might come with immersion flaws, but gameplay wise id love to test it)
No problem, here it is. Note that there is still an odd bug which sometimes causes skills to be used by some non-existent character when you use the perspective switch. I've added a horrific stopgap solution in this build, which should prevent it from happening, but no promises. Also, there will be text issues, as I overhauled a whole lot of text and undoubtedly made mistakes. (I didn't change the text itself, just the way it's generated.)

https://mega.nz/#!tdxCnQZK!RzYWEH6D0RzQAsbvKfz9gXmf2BaxOrfGw1eKHWDC4lw
Just run this jar in place of the old one.

kuschelpuh

Mar 23, 2017
tyvm

after testing some rounds, ive encountered some weird interactions.

Sometimes, when getting a fight as a non PC, the fight reset after every action kind of, the opposite NPC was not affected by anything. This also comes with a HUGE amount of deleay between inputs in the turns.

When encountering my PC as an playable NPC, i was hitting myself, dealing damage to myself and not being able to succesfully use any skills that would involve both players.

On the other side, i really love what you are doing and its a really really good base idea, and i hope we see more of it!

Last edited:

afrg

Jan 26, 2019
Yeah, those are the same issues I've been having. It's caused by the skills being improperly copied over (though I do not see why), which in turn causes there to be a mismatch between the character which selects the skill, and the one which executes it. Naturally, this leads to loads of fun. I really thought the workaround I added in the version I uploaded would work, but then I thought the same about the previous few 'fixes' I tried...

traedor

Feb 21, 2019
I could be reading the code wrong, but it looks like Jewel's level 20 focus checks for the level 20 physical focus branch for the level 50 trait instead of the level 10 martial branch.