Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

ThirdEyeKage

May 24, 2018
Giving the character the 'zealinspiring' trait should do the trick. Either:
  • Add it to the character's .json file
  • Edit it into a save, or
  • Go to the debug screen (accessible from the credits window) and type '***.addTrait zealinspiring' where *** is the character's type (for custom characters, the type is NOT`necessarily the same as the name, it's in the .json). Then hit enter.
Addictions are a little wonky, though

Thanks! Just one more question. Would there be a way to increase the frequency of a character using a move? I've looked in the .json files, and it might be weight, but I'm not sure.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
I was just curious about the rough state of the overhaul at this point. I realize there were a ton of game breaking issues in the last official release of the mod so I can understand the importance and need for a detailed overhaul. But without actually opening up those files in the github it is difficult for the casual player to actually get a feel for how close to a new stable build this is coming along. Honestly, I would just be happy to have the game working well enough that it wouldn't break all the buttons and stop moving forward during high level games. That's the main reason I quit playing it. I could play it fine in the low levels. But once you jumped up in the 100's you had to watch out because it could suddenly break at anytime during the battle and exploration part of the game.

Also, if there is a way to go about compiling the current branches into a build it would be kinda nifty if someone could at least leave directions on the github project site. I might try to do it because I've been curious about all the tweaks that I see being discussed in here. If it isn't practical to try to compile and play it in the casual player setting yet then I'll just wait until you folks decide it is ready for a new release again.

On a side note. I discovered that the one mod RC on page 79 I believe that's dated 24092017 seems to not want to launch at all. Of course it might be due to the fact that Java has recently released their new 10 series platform which is replacing platform 8. You have to go to their JAVA SE development page to get it though. The standard download pages only give the 8. Its funny though because the RC2 releases that were dated from back in april of 2017 seem to run fine with it. I dunno if it was a bad compile or if there was a tweak in it that the platform 10 doesn't want to let it launch. You double click or right click and say open. The icon flashes for like a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. I'll just try playing the RC2's which are newer versions than the last stable release at least.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I was just curious about the rough state of the overhaul at this point. I realize there were a ton of game breaking issues in the last official release of the mod so I can understand the importance and need for a detailed overhaul. But without actually opening up those files in the github it is difficult for the casual player to actually get a feel for how close to a new stable build this is coming along. Honestly, I would just be happy to have the game working well enough that it wouldn't break all the buttons and stop moving forward during high level games. That's the main reason I quit playing it. I could play it fine in the low levels. But once you jumped up in the 100's you had to watch out because it could suddenly break at anytime during the battle and exploration part of the game.

@Ryplinn 's branch is the one with overhaul tasks - I'd like to know what's up as well, since I've been hankering to play NGM again. I'd also like to get some hands-on with the current state of things and do not wish to mess around more with GIT.

Also, if there is a way to go about compiling the current branches into a build it would be kinda nifty if someone could at least leave directions on the github project site. I might try to do it because I've been curious about all the tweaks that I see being discussed in here. If it isn't practical to try to compile and play it in the casual player setting yet then I'll just wait until you folks decide it is ready for a new release again.

Requires knowing how to use GIT from Eclipse or your IDE of choice, but it's best when making your own fork to commit and pull from. Instructions are super buried in the thread, and I'm not really touching my branch because resolving conflicts is annoying and difficult when it's all spaghetti. I'm not good at GIT, but I managed to get working on things and the rest I'm trying to figure out myself.

On a side note. I discovered that the one mod RC on page 79 I believe that's dated 24092017 seems to not want to launch at all. Of course it might be due to the fact that Java has recently released their new 10 series platform which is replacing platform 8. You have to go to their JAVA SE development page to get it though. The standard download pages only give the 8. Its funny though because the RC2 releases that were dated from back in april of 2017 seem to run fine with it. I dunno if it was a bad compile or if there was a tweak in it that the platform 10 doesn't want to let it launch. You double click or right click and say open. The icon flashes for like a fraction of a second and then nothing happens. I'll just try playing the RC2's which are newer versions than the last stable release at least.

That's pretty concerning! I will update my JRE and see if I can compile it myself, and if not I will update my project and fork to use the new one and hopefully add whatever small changes I include. No overhaul or bugfixes, though, unless anyone wants to point out some fixes for me to merge in (CAREFULLY AND CLEARLY) or implement myself. If everything works, I'll make and upload a new private version JAR.

12centDime

Mar 16, 2017
Random things:

NaturalGrowth and unnaturalGrowth don't work correctly. Changing line 803 in Global.java to

final int maxLevel = maxLevelTracker;

will make it work. It's worth noting that since the girls don't get as many wins as they should since one update or another, they lag behind in levels. Since no npc actually uses the naturalgrowth trait, you could simulate everyone getting levels by adding the trait to every character and setting the filter on line 807 and while on 808 to maxLevel - 1 or something. That way, they won't lag so far behind.
players.stream().filter(c -> c.has(Trait.naturalgrowth)).filter(c -> c.getLevel() < maxLevel - 1).forEach(c -> {
while (c.getLevel() < maxLevel - 1) {
c.ding(null);
}
});

Living Clothing Other doesn't work atm because the tentacleTop it creates takes up the bottom slot too for some reason. Can fix that by deleting the 'bottom' listing in data/clothing/defaults.json on line 1019
"displayName":"tentacle suit",
"buffs":[
],
"price":0,
"prefix":"",
"attributes":[
"skimpy",
"persistent",
"tentacleSuit"
],
"layer":0,
"slots" : ["top", "legs"],
"shops" : [],
"sex" : ["female"],
"hotness":0.5,
"name":"tentacletop",
"toughness":25,
"exposure":0.6

PartFucked.java breaks the game when a fight ends while a tentacle focus airi is still fucking someone with a tentacle. adding if (c != null) to the start of line 83 will fix it
public void onRemove(Combat c, Character other) {
if (c != null)
c.write(other, Global.format("{other:NAME-POSSESSIVE} slick %s slips out of {self:direct-object} with an audible pop.", affected, other, penetrator.describe(other)));
}

Collared.java doPostCompulsion has listings for PREVENT_ESCAPE, PREVENT_STRUGGLE, and PREVENT_REMOVE_BOMB, but doesn't list a cost for any of these. It's reasonable to assume these would be covered by case PUNISH_PAIN, since each is accompanied by a shock dealing damage while playing the game, but in no instance in which any of these are called is PUNISH_PAIN also called, so any of the shocks that prevent the player from taking an action are actually free for Mara, which seems unintended. Also, case PREVENT_REVERSAL does not exist amoung the listings. Suggest changing to
@Override
public void doPostCompulsion(Combat c, Situation sit) {
int cost;
switch (sit) {
case PREVENT_ESCAPE:
cost = 1;
break;
case PREVENT_STRUGGLE:
cost = 1;
break;
case PREVENT_REVERSAL:
cost = 1;
break;
case STANCE_FLIP:
cost = 2;
break;
case PREVENT_REMOVE_BOMB:
cost = 1;
break;
case PUNISH_PAIN:
cost = 1;
break;
default:
cost = 0;
}
charges = Math.max(0, charges - cost);
}

Beguiling Breasts doesn't care whether it's targets are actually looking at the breasts due to facing, or if the targets are blind-folded and can't see them at all. Bandaid fixing that with && getStance().facing(character, getOpponent(character)) && !getOpponent(character).is(Stsflag.blinded) on line 499 of combat.java does cause pets not to be tranced if the master is blinded or facing the wrong way though.
if (character.has(Trait.beguilingbreasts) && !getCombatantData(character).getBooleanFlag(beguilingbreastCompletedFlag) && character.outfit.slotOpen(ClothingSlot.top) && getStance().facing(character, getOpponent(character)) && !getOpponent(character).is(Stsflag.blinded)) {

Reactions: DarkSinfulMage

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Currently updating my JDK to 10 and will try to pull my own fork and compile it. This is more environment setup than programming, but I'm on it.

@12centDime - Thanks -> when I get things up and running again I'll throw those fixes in and see what happens. I figured there was a part with Airi that was causing that one. Thanks for spotting that.

EDIT: For whatever reason I've installed the JRE and JDK and still version 10 doesn't show up in Eclipse. This may take a while to solve. It's also broken my own projects. Damn...

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Okay - Finally got it!
Eclipse had to be deleted and reinstalled. I tried a bit with IDEA and found that it was a matter of configuration. Eclipse non-updates strike again.
Now...let's see if I can pump out a new Jar with a few bugfixes...

EDIT: I'm taking the time to add a few very small things, just to satisfy myself and set up some fun things while we wait to implement everything all over. :D

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Okay, now that my own stuff is working, I can try to continue working on non-overhaul stuff.

Here's a new Jar that works for me - drop it into a 2.6.0 Private Build folder and it should function.
Make sure you have Java installed, don't run it in the zip, etc etc.

https://mega.nz/#!ABpFAYSb!98yJjAAkC34u51xb53E-AjAe0N1ivtGEezm1kRp3DDg

For those interested, I've updated my fork and may throw up a few new changes of my own while bored.
https://github.com/DarkSinfulMage/nightgamesmod

If anyone wants to do me a favor - I'd like a debug button among challenge selection that forces the Leveldrain challenge. I've looked into doing this before and lost interest.

12centDime

Mar 16, 2017
If I understand what you want, this is what I'd do. Heavily influenced by what I viewed as the coding convention and my own inexperience, so I won't say it's the best way or anything. Should allow the user to tick the debug option, then choose w/e challenge they want when the night starts regardless of requirements.

First we go into DebugFlags.java and add DEBUG_MATCHMODIFIERS to the list

Next jump to global.java add in import nightgames.debug.MatchModifierPicker, since we'll need that. next, at around line 868, rewrite the existing code to
public static void startNight() {
if (isDebugOn(DebugFlags.DEBUG_MATCHTYPES)) {
current = new MatchTypePicker();
current.respond("Start");
} else if (isDebugOn(DebugFlags.DEBUG_MATCHMODIFIERS)) {
current = new MatchModifierPicker();
current.respond("Start");
} else {
currentMatchType = decideMatchType();
currentMatchType.runPrematch();
}
}

Next, create MatchModifierPicker.java in nightgames.debug. We're basically copying MatchTypePicker with a few changes. Could also be done by editing this into MatchTypePicker.java if we'd rather
package nightgames.debug;

import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
import java.util.Arrays;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.stream.Collectors;

import nightgames.global.Global;
import nightgames.global.Scene;
import nightgames.gui.KeyableButton;
import nightgames.match.MatchType;
import nightgames.modifier.Modifier;

public class MatchModifierPicker implements Scene {

@Override
public void respond(String response) {
Modifier[] modifiers = Global.getModifierPool()
.toArray(new Modifier[Global.getModifierPool().size()]);

if (response.equals("Start")) {
List<KeyableButton> buttons = Arrays.stream(modifiers)
.map(MMButton::new).collect(Collectors.toList());
Global.gui().prompt("<b>DEBUG_MATCHMODIFIERS is active. Select a match modifier below:</b>",
buttons);
}
}

private static class MMButton extends KeyableButton {

private static final long serialVersionUID = -3158804202952673759L;
private final Modifier type;

public MMButton(Modifier type) {
super(type.name());
this.type = type;
getButton().addActionListener(this::startMatch);
}

@Override
public String getText() {
return type.name();
}

private void startMatch(ActionEvent e) {
Global.currentMatchType = MatchType.NORMAL;
MatchType.NORMAL.runWith(type);

}
}
}

finish out by adding this right before the end of MatchType.java
//exists entirely to make debugging with MatchModifierPicker.java work. runs a default event
//with the given modifier while ignoring any requirements
public void runWith(Modifier m) {
Global.unflag(Flag.victory);
DefaultPrematch selection = new DefaultPrematch();
selection.type = m;
Global.current = selection;
selection.respond("Do");
}
------------------------------------------------
Notes:
DEBUG_MATCHTYPES takes precedence over DEBUG_MATCHMODIFIERS
This pulls from Global.modifierPool, so things like MayaModifier or anything need to be added to it if it's to be seen by the code. Didn't see a more complete list to pull from anywhere. LvlDrainModifier's already there though

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I'll see if I can try that out today.

In the meantime. I had a few minutes so I started adding the skeleton to replace transformation placeholders on part modification screens. I have a thing for Angel and Reyka, so they're getting started, first.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
New poll is up!

Should Airi (continue) Mimicing the special traits of the other characters?

https://strawpoll.com/zzdx2h14

Updates on my fork coming, including addition of that button I so dearly wanted (thanks @12centDime !) , expanded part sizes for cocks and pussies, and a lot of text changes and additions.
https://github.com/DarkSinfulMage/nightgamesmod

New Jar will happen when I feel like I'm done for a while. I'm doing lots of small changes and additions so no sense in making new exports.

Last edited:

12centDime

Mar 16, 2017
Airi is weird. On the one hand, I don't think it makes sense that she gets all the abilities she has when she mimics things or disguises herself. On the other, to go and through and pick out the ones that don't make sense and change them is such a huge task I think it's more realistic to just leave it at "not the addictions." Mostly just because if she doesn't have the specializations, it's easy to see it's airi even when disguised, and whoever she's disguised as ends up as kinda underpowered after the 2nd specialization.
--------------------------------------------------
I hope you don't mind my commenting on your new liners. You're playing with the images of the characters I have in my head and I have opinions! :0
In general, the 'subject shouts in triumph' thing seems weird. I don't know exactly how you plan to add them into the post-screen, but it seems they'd mostly read less oddly as {self}:{message}
Cassie
return "{self:SUBJECT} shouts in triumph, <i>\"Hooray! I did it! I won!\"</i>";
-Not terribly invested in Cassie, but I will say I don't think I've ever heard "hooray" said without irony in my entire life. The line sounds better in my head without it, or something like Yes!

"{self:SUBJECT} mutters, <i>\"Oh no...I didn't win at all...\"</i>";
-seems fine

Eve
return "Eve shouts in victory, <i>\"Hah! See? Your asses are all MINE!\"</i>";
-Ok. First off, LOL. Actual lol. That sounds like Eve.
Major point in my head though: Eve doesn't much care about winning. Eve doesn't particularly care about putting someone else down except insomuch as she can get herself or others off on it. She isn't particular -proud- that she won the most...she just finds it hilarious. I feel like the line should be 'Your asses are ALL mine!' Emphasis on the ridiculous amount of ass that she got 'Your asses are ALL mine!' versus emphasis that SHE got all the ass 'Your asses are all MINE!' Still. That could just be me looking into that statement way too much.
*giggles some more at the line*

return "Eve says, <i>\"Tsk...Fucking hell...\"</i>";
-I don't feel like Eve would care that much that she didn't win any matches. She'd still be high off the exhilaration of the fights and only bemoaning that she didn't get to pound more ass a little. Maybe. Something more like "Aw! No ass today I guess. Y'all better watch those cute little rears next time!'

Jewel
return "{self:SUBJECT} shouts in triumph, <i>\"YEAH! That'll show you! I'm the strongest!\"</i>";
return "{self:SUBJECT} mutters, <i>\"Son of a bitch...\"</i>";
-I really haven't paid attention to Jewel. Like, at all. All I can say is that the first line seems clunky, but that could just be the way Jewel talks for all I know. >_>

Kat + Mara
return "{self:SUBJECT} shouts in triumph, <i>\"NYAAA! I'm the strongest!\"</i>";
return "{self:SUBJECT} mutters, <i>\"Nyaaaaa...I lost? :3\"</i>";
return "{self:SUBJECT} shouts in triumph, <i>\"Ha-haaa! Science wins AGAIN!!\"</i>";
return "{self:SUBJECT} mutters, <i>\"Crap...Need to make adjustments...\"</i>";
-these all seem like reasonable interpretations of Kat and Mara that don't challenge how I view them or seem oddly worded

Maya
return "Maya shouts in triumph, <i>\"That was GREAT! I can do this ALL NIGHT!\"</i>";
-This seems too exuberant for someone as reserved as Maya act. She'd be pleased, not surprised, possibly sort of languid and relaxed with w/e it is she's there to collect. Something more like 'Hmm...that was nice. I'll have to be sure to do this again.' Or, since she's also aware that she probably just soundly destroyed everyone's scores, she'd say something motivational or comment on it being educational or something.

return "Maya mutters, <i>\"Damn...\"</i>";
-Don't like this one. It seems implied that Maya is coming here because she NEEDS to win for sone reason or another...yet never seems distressed or angry or anything if she loses. On the contrary, she only ever seems impressed. Given how soundly she defeats 3-ways, I kinda assume she's under something like the same rules as Reyka, only looser. Headcanon: Maya is vastly more powerful than any character in the games barring maybe Reyka, but has her power restricted in one-on-one fights. However, she needs to get something from her wins, so the restriction is looser than Reyka's who can just get w/e sustenance she needs outside the games. If she actually lost every match, I have the feeling she'd be pleased and moderately impressed, smiling out something like "Such promising fighters..."...and then show up at the beginning of tomorrow's fight with double her normal level modifier. xD

Reyka
return "{self:SUBJECT} shouts in triumph, <i>\"Hah! Too easy! I had fun though, didn't you all?\"</i>";
-I don't think Reyka would be that proud of or excited about winning. It's implied in most of her training that she's already more powerful than the other characters and only at about their level due to restrictions. 'Too easy' seems...I dunno. Too self-evident? Too mocking while not enough seduction? Dunno, but that bit in the middle just seems out of character to me.

return "{self:SUBJECT} mutters, <i>\"Oh well, maybe next time. I'll need to become more powerful, I think...\"</i>";
-Reyka's already more powerful, so hearing her talk about needing more seems odd. Them winning and getting stronger effectively makes her stronger too, weirdly.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I agree - I should have made it a bit more clear with a placeholder tag (notice how all of them are very similar starts). It's hard to nail down the characters and it's difficult enough playing the main game without the benefit cheating/editing/debug to see how the characters have been developed since all this stuff was originally written. I'm definitely open to suggestions and revisions, but as of now I think we have some license to make some reasonable departures.

Let's see, here...

I see Cassie as crushing on the player and as a generally nice girl until she develops later on. It's hard to reconcile her changes with her base personality. Definitely open to suggestions on new dialogue.

What you say about Eve is true - I think I'd rather emphasize her aggression, but that's probably more my own characters leaking back into NGM. I'll change it up to reflect more that she doesn't care about winning or losing, since that's core to Eve more than anything else.

Jewel is hard to nail down. She is someplace between a tomboy and a tsundere, and without having more material to work with I file her along with Cassie as a big question mark. Open to suggestions.

By the way....because these are all functions - we can create liners that adjust to the transformation status of a character. You can see with other characters that I've added some descriptions - we can do the same with spoken lines.

Kat and Mara - I don't like writing Kat - that's all I have to say about her.
Mara I like; we all like tomboys. Mara's enthusiastic. She pushes herself very hard and wants to win, but is rather weak when she loses.

Maya - This came up when I started implementing new Maya stuff, but I see Maya as someone who somewhat loses control of herself during the nights that she appears, and if she were to appear regularly in games, I take it that she taps into this power that causes it - effectively shifting her personality a bit. Toning it down makes perfect sense, but that's just the first draft, so to speak. Perhaps she quietly says that kind of line to herself?

Reyka - Again, probably my own characters leaking through - I'll cook up something more nonchalant for Reyka.

Samantha - She wasn't done because I don't really know her personality and playing Night Games is difficult enough to really research now that she's a regular character alongside Yui. I'm not entirely up for working on Yui right now.

EDIT: Changes made - check it out on my fork.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I just noticed that one of the Classes we use in our ADTs - Observable - is deprecated as of JDK 9 and needs to be replaced with something modern.
@Ryplinn - this is something you should take a look at in the overhaul.

Here's a relevant Stackoverhaul for alternatives.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ed-in-java-9-what-should-we-use-instead-of-it

Observable also doesn't implement Serializable, which is something that we can see often in the code. We really should find a better way for this.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
You know - I set out with a simple mission today only to find out like 5 things that need fixing:

I wanted to find out why characters favor using the Succubus Draft when I discovered I could solve things by removing the Cock Mod and transferring that functionality to a new Item, Incubus Draft. (The more mods an item has, the more desirable it is to use)
However, I quickly discovered something upsetting: Not only were femininity and masculinity not fairly implemented among parts at various levels (masculinity doesn't exist!), but Breasts, Cocks, Faces are all implemented differently when it comes to items that grew, shrank, or modded them.
Modding or Changing a part is highly contextual in the scheme of adding an item. There's at least two implementations now for this.
Fixed a problem Where D and DD tits were treated as the same size under their own static definitions in-class. I fixed a few things with boobs.
Committed changes and fixes to my fork. D and DD won't be confused in game, anymore. More to come as I de-tangle this and try to patch it together.

So, for now, Only the size scales for Boobs and Cocks have expanded. Incubus Draft will have to wait, nerfing Succubus Draft will have to wait.

Tighten and Invitation moves - Nerf?

Last edited:

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
I'll have to try the latest builds. I wonder if one of the higher feats tied to the competition might not be the cause for the ongoing issue of buttons suddenly disappearing during the nightly rounds once you progress things to the point where you're several nights into the transformed competition matches. Basically by the time you're anywhere around lvl 40+ average it could start happening from what I've noticed. I will check out the latest build from Tuesday though to see if it still does it. Honestly, this is the only issue that keeps me from really sitting down and enjoying the game up into the very high levels. Mind you I could probably text edit a save file to put the competition and myself up to the high levels artificially. That would include adjusting everyone's stats to fit their higher levels. It would be nice if there was a way to find the culprit for that button disappearance issue that has plagued the mod for some time now. However, the closest I can come to pinpointing it is noting when it starts to happen. I've played the original night games in their latest builds and Silver Bard apparently rectified it by going through and redoing the game's coding. At least I haven't noticed it the same bug occuring on the newest Original Night Games even at very high levels. Its probably a combination of feats that are firing off on the different characters through the night and its causing the game to go bonkers and lose the buttons.

I do like the recent changes in the mod though. It feels more varied and challenging for certain. I couldn't help but scratch my head at the team battle nights though. They didn't seem to do a thing whenever I hit them. You just ran around in the little loop and there were no clear-cut directions for what you were supposed to do to even score points on those nights. I figured it was an incomplete battle event that is implemented in game even though it is not fully functional as of yet. All you can do is run up the timer until the night ends.

12centDime

Mar 16, 2017
I've definitely nerfed Tighten and Invitation in my game.

In my head it seems for Tighten to do something a little better than a failed Struggle at it's worst and a little worse than a Piston at it's very best, assuming it still costs Mojo. A failed struggle deals 6-11 damage and a Piston does 15-22 damage. Assuming 30 power, Tighten currently does 15-24 damage and scales up to 25-34 damage which seems quite a bit too much. I personally yanked out the random modifier and lowered the scaling to Math.min(getSelf().get(Attribute.Power) / 3, 15)

Thankfully that kinda indirectly nerfs Invitation a little too. Still too strong I think though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The button disappearance will probably be the same unless there's a new release soon. Largest culprit of that is the PartFucked/PartSucked thing and the fix isn't in the last release. There's likely still more to be hunted down though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Random thing: MindControl.java's tick() doesn't care who the affected is facing when it enthralls them. Given how other addictions work that seems odd. We probably need a c.getOpponent(affected).getType().equals("Mara") or something in the if there. And a c != null possibly. Not sure, I never give Mara mind-control. >.>
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of, I was kinda hoping others had strong opinions on the characters interactions and exclamations. I don't totally trust myself on these things. But my thoughts on the development of the girls changes are complicated. Main issue is I don't really know where we're going. Like, at least half the girls are acquiring some worrisome ideas on what is 'acceptable' as the games progress and we aren't actually sure it's entirely coincidental. Whatever is happening at the games is not normal; I doubt that you could normally get the equivalent skill of Arcane 15, even in a super-specialized field like sex-fighting, in a week. Things are influencing the characters in ways they both do and do not understand. Angel has a voice telling her things and can transform even outside the games, Mara's genius knows no bounds, Cassie's basically a prodigy for someone who didn't have any skill before this started, and who even knows what Jewel's level of Ki and Power translates to in a normal environment.
Anyway. Not normal...why is it happening? Is it just the environment of the games 'bringing it out' or is it something more? If it's the 'bringing it out' reason, that's one thing, but if they are somehow being guided towards something it could pay hugely to know where the story is trying to go with them before trying to express it.

And, even outside of not knowing where the girls should end up, some of the changes just seem hugely drastic and fast. Like, oh Mara is adorable, Mara is nice, Mara is sweet, wait what she thinks it's ok to do what happens when you talk to her about mind-control WHAT. There are sometimes bumps and sometimes chasms of difference between how I think the girls should reasonably respond and what happens in-game, but I don't really know exactly what to think of it since...is it just the characters? Then some things are a bit extreme and I'd argue should be changed. But what if it's not and they're being influenced? Well...it still might be a bit too extreme a shift to me, but it would be far more reasonable.

And again, it could just be me: I tend to think of things in a happier light and like to think that Mara wouldn't just think that that was acceptable...but at the same time Mara does nothing by half measures. She is All In, All The Time. If she sees that she's probably going to fail, I imagine she's going to see to it that she fails in the biggest way possible that remains in reasonable bounds just so she can get more information...maybe what happened isn't as far out of character as I would like to think. Dunno. And those kind of thoughts leave me wary about speaking on their development much.

I do like your revamped liners though. I think Maya still comes across as a little off, but it also makes a bit of sense going along the line of 'she's a little out of control and in the middle of stuffing it back in the bottle' so to speak.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
of buttons suddenly disappearing during the nightly rounds once you progress things to the point where you're several nights into the transformed competition matches.

Oh, that's most likely Airi's, Mara's, and Reyka's fault. I'm still fishing those out, but at least 2 of Airi's NPE errors that do just that have been solved in my own branch (Have not made a Jar in a few days, I'm lazy!) I'll move onto Reyka, since I know Corruption has similar problems.Those two classes have been fixed, and I'll make a new jar SOON so people can enjoy some less freezing and unrecoverable states.

I couldn't help but scratch my head at the team battle nights though.

I ain't touching the other game modes. I think some of the frustration nergantre and dndw experienced must have been a result of adding features without doing an overhaul, first. I totally understand why they'd burn out. We could agree to simply remove the other game modes for now, but I'm not in the habit of simply deleting other people's work. I'd rather people just reload a save until they get the game mode they want or use debug to guide the game away from the game mode.

If anyone wants to pick up team and flag mode - I recommend you help Ryplinn instead. The game can't even keep time or track its own data correctly. There's no point in working on them right now.

@12centDime If you wanna show me those invitation/tighten changes or that commit, I'd be happy to try it and see how it goes.

Also - yes, I'm aware of that little problem in Mind control - I've actually commented a few addiction effects that do something like that. I'm unsure if it was intended from the start that non-present effects was a feature of addictions, but damn is it annoying and creating errors.

You guys should probably add a few task tags to eclipse:

TODO:
FIXME:
NOTE:

As for characters, You have an interesting point, here. I think this happened because these characters weren't strictly designed at the start and evolved/changed as content/new features were introduced.

Listen - we've already changed Angel from the main game. We have dramatic license to change things or put our own spin on them. I like this conversation very much, and my aim is not to be perfect but reasonably faithful for our purposes. In my game, my characters are designed to progress in a certain way and their behavior is well-defined. We haven't had time to do that here because we're kinda designing by committee in the spirit of community and good faith.

So - we can have this conversation about what the characters are and where they start and end up because we see it as necessary. This isn't Night Games, it's NightgamesMod.

I was considering offering up a series of polls to design a brand new character JUST for the mod, hopefully with the help of people who would provide the 5-6 images we'd need to complete them.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Let's talk about characters:

There were a lot of things I wanted to do post overhaul because we'd have the structure and opportunity to completely redo characters from the ground up, but I think it's becoming necessary to explain what I think about it.

I don't think we can do anything about the characters as written and implemented until we define first what a character in NGM *IS*.

What is their story and how does it start and where does it end?
What are their combat features?
What types do they conform to in the game mechanics?
What is their relationship to the player? Does it change?
What transformations are available to them?
What is their addiction or feature?

These are all simple to answer but hard to know in completion.

Allow me to be a bit real for a second:

There's a lot of things we're trying to accomplish with the characters mechanically and literally:

Angel was intended to become something like a femdom-lite goddess.
Jewel went from a tsundere tomboy to a dominant queen.
Mara was slowly losing herself to madness through overexhaustion.
Cassie crushed on the player and seems to have implied routes.
Reyka was to be lightning in a bottle.
Eve was a dangerous element allowed back into the fold.
Maya is trying to recapture/seeking something.
Samantha was brought in because it was interesting
Rosea is a tree. (Really...should I just reimplement her like the others and forget the damn data file?)
Kat is...a cat.

Relationship with player?
Mechanics?
Addictions?
Powers and game-focus?
Traits?

All of these items need work and overhauls. All of them! There was a consensus before that addictions were buggy, inconsistent with each other balance wise, and all other sorts of issues but ripping out the entire system is laborious and there's no design for these things from the ground up. That's what we need.

To do THAT, we need to discuss how the game works, which requires discussions about action-economy (Status effects, Mara, Angel worshiper focus all ruin it completely.), combat phases, and the way damage works.

This is why I spent time making my own game - I dislike bringing it up, but the reason I've been doing that was to get a handle on how to fix this one.

We can keep patching the numerous issues, but the problem is we don't know how the game is supposed to work between all of the new features - Especially when the game doesn't work that great to begin with. This is why I'm perfectly fine seeing what the overhaul does to reorganize and refactor things with a time-keeping system that works. With ADTs and program flow that makes adding new things easy and compact.

Okay - that's my REAL TALK..

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I've started work on unrooting Rosea, creating a new class file for her in characters.

My plans and ideas for New Rosea are gonna be documented in-file, so don't worry about that.

Rosea will start at level 10 and have two advances - Level 20 and Level 30.

Level 20 will have her ask the player to choose between her Scent mechanics (Pheromones/statuses) or her Plant mechanics (Vine-whips, Roots, thorns, fundamentals).

Level 30 will be her second advance similar to other characters and have you choose between Fruits and Flowers. Rosea will devour the sustenance from players and give herself items, which the player or other characters can harvest if they like her enough. This is a good use of the affection mechanic between NPCs, and I think it'd be a really cool thing to add to NGM. Flowers are best used on others, while Fruits are best used on yourself.

I haven't thought of her addiction, but It goes without saying that we have several forms of addictions that are trying to destroy your agency in game and I'd like any new or revamped addictions to not overlap to the point the player isn't playing.

Rosea is a gentle femdom character, and I'll be noting that her responses and actions are centered around her being more of a monster than a person. Rosea is just here for pleasure and food. She won't have as much agency as Reyka, for example. She only acts for herself and her own whims.

Creating new skills and traits will take a while, as I think Bio should be a sufficiently long and diverse progression stat.

While looking at that, I had to remember that I'd like Dark Skills to have several additions based upon other stats - we now have Maya in the mix (who uses dark), and I do not want there to be yet more attribute points to sink into for no reason. I'd like to change a lot of dark abilities to accommodate this, but I don't want to be hasty.

rex1245

Jul 4, 2018
What's the word on the Buttslut Quest? I've searched around in the thread and found out how to somewhat do it with adding a flag, but all save files that have the quest active can't be loaded. It's not a matter of waiting it out because it never loads. Am I doing something wrong or is it just like this for now?

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
I almost forgot about the NPC Rosea. Was she temporarily disabled in the current branch of the mod or something? I saw all the other NPCs except for her in play. Then again maybe I just was unlucky and she wasn't selected to appear yet.

Also, I'm all for the idea of the current skillsets getting a more diversified portfolio. I mean, if you play enough nights you can start to get your stats up there in potency. Plus I think all the current skillsets are set to dump all the abilities into play by the time you gain like 50 points in them maybe? I will admit that the leveldrain nerf stopped the excessive power leveling issue that used to pop up. On one hand it was awesome when you were the one powering up. If one of the leveldrainers managed it first though it was a bear.

On a side note, would it be at all possible to get a list of the different feat (perk) names and the requirements to obtain them? The ones that bug me the most are the not-so-secret bonus perks that you gain from training with the different girls repeatedly. The training sessions eat up all of that time and I just thought it would be kinda nice to have a list of perks that are granted by npc interaction so that I could check off the list and not burn more time trying to grind for a skill. Although the training is beneficial in the long run regardless.

Last edited:

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
Yeah, she is normally disabled as she is not listed in the included.json file. The traits list document packed with the game could be what you need if that's what you mean by perks, although it's not the most comprehensive at explaining their requirements beyond something akin to "get this from X NPC from daytime sex".

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
What's the word on the Buttslut Quest? I've searched around in the thread and found out how to somewhat do it with adding a flag, but all save files that have the quest active can't be loaded. It's not a matter of waiting it out because it never loads. Am I doing something wrong or is it just like this for now?

That was someone's thing and I'm personally not touching it or supporting it. Several scenes for that are peppered through character files. IIRC you have to add a trait to yourself, but I could be wrong.

rex1245

Jul 4, 2018
That was someone's thing and I'm personally not touching it or supporting it.

That's a shame because it's really something I'd love to see in game as a start similar to the drain challenge. After some further digging, I found that if you add the flag to a start file it works, but it does not save properly and any attempt to load the save file will result in some kind of lock on the program.

kuschelpuh

Mar 23, 2017
yah, you could get the buttlutquest to work, im also a big fan and would love to see it working (even pay someone to make it into a proper thing)

current issues are
- doesnt work on game load
- doesnt work on additional characters/custom characters that exist for the mod (you can find em in this forum)
this is based of the way it is coded, that it counts the chars assuming slot 1-X is a win, and slot X - Y is a loss, giving stats or negative results
-is an extreme stat bloat, because you get specific stats on a win every single time, which is bad if you dont want stats like dark or magic

Amygdala

Feb 24, 2017
I don't know if it's a bug but the global flag hermHasBalls doesn't seem to be doing anything, and neither is shemaleNoBalls.