Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
It's been another quiet spell for me. Part of that is a lack of time (which is unlikely to change soon), and if I'm being honest, another part is that I just haven't felt like working on this game lately.
Since I very much doubt that nergantre is going to play an active role here any time soon, I think I can speak for the both of us to just give you a blanket permission to do whatever you'd like, @DarkSinfulMage. I completely agree with your list of priorities, except that I don't think a shift to XML would be worthwhile. It and JSON are mostly analogous, and I can't think of any benefit the change would have. You say it's more commonplace, but I doubt that. Besides, as long as there is good tool support (which there is), what does popularity matter?

So I'd be happy to answer any questions, but I don't think I'm going to be contributing anything new in the near future.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
It's been another quiet spell for me. Part of that is a lack of time (which is unlikely to change soon), and if I'm being honest, another part is that I just haven't felt like working on this game lately.
Since I very much doubt that nergantre is going to play an active role here any time soon, I think I can speak for the both of us to just give you a blanket permission to do whatever you'd like, @DarkSinfulMage. I completely agree with your list of priorities, except that I don't think a shift to XML would be worthwhile. It and JSON are mostly analogous, and I can't think of any benefit the change would have. You say it's more commonplace, but I doubt that. Besides, as long as there is good tool support (which there is), what does popularity matter?

So I'd be happy to answer any questions, but I don't think I'm going to be contributing anything new in the near future.

I'm sorry for misreading the last discussion, then - didn't mean to put words in your mouth. If it's no big deal then there's no need to make XML saving/loading of data a priority.

If that's the case then I'll assume I'm on my own on the immediate tasks until someone can step up and take care of it. I have no idea how to fix the null combat thing until I learn much more about the combat and time system and then rebuild it. Yikes. If anyone faster or more informed than me wants to tackle this so we can get it out of the damn way, that'd be excellent. I'll give it a shot, though. For now I'll work on #2 stuff until a solution with #1 comes into view or becomes easier to manage.

If any of the other contributors has anything they'd like to take on - Now's a good time to discuss that.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I made a workaround for the Addiction NPE- feel free to merge it in from my fork.

A patient walks into a doctor's office and says, "Doctor, it hurts when you do that."
The Doctor says, "Well, don't do that!"

It's lame, but it will let the game work - just not process the other addictions while we work on getting things working properly.

Code:
@Override
    public void tick(Combat c) {                    //FIXME:outside of combat, c becomes null. Perhaps separate this method into an in and out of combat version?
        if (c == null) {                            //A patient comes into the doctor's office and says it hurts when I do this; the doctor says "Well, don't do that..." - DSM
            System.out.println("ERROR: Tried to process " + this.name + " from " + this.cause + ", but Combat c is null in Addiction.tick()");       
        } else  {
             if (c.getOpponent(affected).equals(cause)) {           
                 combatMagnitude += magnitude / 14.0;
             }
        }
    }

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
@DarkSinfulMage Actually, I think that solution should be fine as it is. That method updates the in-combat addiction severity, so if there is no combat going on it probably should do nothing.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Turns out I was wrong with what was causing some persistence of addictions.
{
"type": "DOMINANCE",
"cause": "Airi",
"magnitude": 0.0,
"combat": 0.0,
"overloading": false,
"reenforced": false
},

Airi, probably posing as Jewel, tagged me with dominance at some point. The addiction went to 0 magnitude and this code still triggers in various fights:

Code:
 int stanceDominance = getStance().getCurrentDominance(this, self).ordinal();
        if (stanceDominance <= Position.Dominance.NEUTRAL.ordinal()) {
            return;
        }

Character other = getStance().getPartner(this, self);
        Addiction add = other.getAddiction(AddictionType.DOMINANCE).orElse(null);       //FIXME: Causes trigger even though addiction has 0 magnitude.
        if (add != null && add.atLeast(Severity.MED) && !add.wasCausedBy(self)) {
            write(self, Global.format("{self:name} does {self:possessive} best to be dominant, but with the "
                        + "way Jewel has been working {self:direct-object} over {self:pronoun-action:are} completely desensitized." , self, other));
            return;
        }

I've corrected the writing line to:

Code:
write(self, Global.format("{self:name} does {self:possessive} best to be dominant, but with the "
                        + "way "+ add.getCause().getName() + " has been working {self:direct-object} over {self:pronoun-action:are} completely desensitized." , self, other));

but I think Global.getPlayer().getStrongestAddiction() does not return addictions with a severity of 0 (Or at least from Airi...who poses as other characters), explaining this behavior.

EDIT: Many edits committed.

EDIT2: Is Mara supposed to get an infrasound necklace every time she uses mind control? She now has 5.

Question for @dndw:
In the file writing and reading for save files - are the new lines required? I'd like to change it so some data blocks are in single lines so save files are easier to read and edit.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Just to clarify, i was wondering if the tf's could apply to feet and hands and such. Not sure if those are counted. That what i meant when i said bodyparts and descriptions.

Those body parts currently don't exist. I can't see a purpose in making them new parts (complete with descriptions and mods) unless they have a substantial impact on gameplay.(Do we really need to worry about what hands someone has?)

But hey - maybe someone else wants to tackle that problem. I'd like to get a handle on what we have so far, as I think once I get sick of bug hunting this week I'll be looking to redesign gameplay stuff after taking in input.

I might as well do that now:

Feel free to post bugs, Issues, Issues of balance we can talk about. I have my own suggestions:

Pets
Addictions
Temptation Skills and Effects
Fetish Skills and effects.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Ah, got it.

What is the newest version of the game other than the official release? I would like to play it.

I suppose it's my fork that's most ahead. Whoever is working on the quest system fork is probably working on that, and I think that's the latest between both of us.

exporting/creating a java executable with my fork with eclipse can be dropped into the latest private branch posted pages back and it will work. I've never done a release process, myself, so I'm lost on that unless my commits get pulled higher up the chain.

EDIT: Try extracting this into your folder. (No promises it will work.)
https://mega.nz/#!pMglUR7A!FqJm53bb7pfx1-YucfxdVfo4TuG23Gf5e2GtZtOzu2k

Last edited:

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
@DarkSinfulMage
It's been a while since I've played any NG (mod or otherwise), and I don't have a ton of specifics on my mind at the moment, but I'm quietly waiting in the wings to provide my infamously obnoxious testing when new releases come out, so I can ramble at you for a bit here. The last version I played for any length of time was 2.5.1, which came out over four months ago, so please keep in mind my time away. It's entirely possible that all of my thoughts here are presently outdated.

The first thing I'd like to do is to request you continue providing detailed change logs with every new release. NGM has gotten quite large, so this is very important for knowing where to focus my efforts when testing.

Regarding balance: Invitation is easily my biggest problem with this game. Sex moves are quite strong by themselves, and they apply a variety of negative effects beginning as soon as the position is established, so suffering one even for a short duration will do a sizeable chunk of damage to your Stamina/Arousal/condition in general. It's fine to have powerful moves, but there's no counterplay to Invitation: your opponent uses it and you're just locked in: that's that. Because sex moves/positions tend to be further debilitating in themselves (massive Stamina damage, mind control, Charm, unbreakable hand/leg locks, awkward disengaging even if you struggle to a dominant position, etc), you can frequently be 100-0'd with little to no interactivity, which is not ideal from game design or fun standpoints. I'd like to see more ways to counter or disengage from these oppressive positions/skills.

Invitation immediately comes to mind as the most egregious offender here, but I imagine there are others. You could tweak that skill in a wide variety of ways to bandage it, but that's probably treating only the symptoms. I'd need to get back into the groove of the game and do more extensive research to say much of use, but that's a starting point, if you're interested. Also, I know 2.6.0 introduced stances that should have an effect on the potency of sex moves; I haven't tested that version enough to comment on it.

Fetishes, addictions, and Mara's collar: These are some interesting mechanics that promote longer-term consequences to the otherwise in-a-vacuum fights. I think they're a great idea, but also that all of them are strongly overtuned right now, to the point where you might as well reload the game if you get slapped with them early on, because the rest of the night will be spent licking feet or being shocked into submission. I'm all for some good, old-fashioned domination, but only having one button for the next five battles does become tiresome, so some counterplay to these things would be nice.

I don't have the presence of mind or data for a detailed breakdown right now, but perhaps fetish severity could be reduced upon orgasm, and the characters could masturbate outside of combat to get a grip on their fetish before the next encounter, at the risk of being ambushed while occupied. Also vaguely on my mind: Imbue Fetish should let you choose which fetish you apply, or at least not apply cock fetish if you don't have a cock, for the benefit of female PCs and any future NPCs that might have the Fetish attribute and lack a penis.

For the collar, I think the major problem with it is that it doesn't require batteries, so fixing that bug will probably alleviate its troubles.

Addictions are, frankly, not a mechanic I'm well-versed in. They've always been so overwhelming and frequently buggy that I never really got around to experimenting with them; I would always just do the quick and dirty removal and be on my way. There's also probably a few words to be had about how easy it is to dispense of unwanted addictions, which itself ties into the large amounts of money you can amass and what kind of philosophy you desire for opting out of content.

Attractiveness: A couple months ago I was actually writing something up about this, because it's weird and inconsistent, and I hate it, but I lost the text somewhere, so I'll just sum it up. Attractiveness varies wildly from character to character and so temptation-related skills are typically either completely worthless (dealing 7 damage to a level 80 opponent) or extremely strong (Reyka maxing out an empty Arousal bar with two uses of Tempt because she has 18 Attractiveness). The PC tends toward the former, making temptation builds unviable for PCs.

Clothing: We have a lot of neat clothing items, but the mechanic itself is rather pointless because of how easy it is to discard them. In some cases it's even a better idea to do away with your clothing as soon as possible, which seems strange and wrong to me. I feel like clothing should play a more significant part in the game; altering the game to fit this idea will probably mean adjusting most/all of the full-strip skills.

Pets: Um... I don't remember. I think the pets made positions confusing a lot, but it's been too long, since I don't think I've done a pet build for Angel this year. Needs more research.

A clear and concise damage formula for consistently predictable outcomes: We do not currently have this, but it would be great for QoL and testing. I touched on this and some other bullshit you may or may not be interested in here: https://forum.fenoxo.com/threads/nightgames-mod-v2-5-1-2-updated-2-11-17.65/page-56#post-120592

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@Bronzechair

Awesome. I agree with you quite a bit.

1. It didn't occur to me how strong Invitation is, but I think I'd rank disables and temptation damage above invitation in terms of priority. The reason invitation hurts is because you can get disabled easily and overflow tempted easily.
  • Mind control should have chance to stick reduced by Cunning and turns active reduced by Cunning.
  • Exhausted or Knocked Out should have some turn reduction via Power.
  • Enthralled should have some resistance or turn reduction via Cunning, Mojo, or maximum Willpower.
  • Frenzy should have some defense - I'm not sure what. maximum Stamina?
  • Stunned should also have some turn reduction by Power or Stamina.
2. I think the collar does run on batteries now (2.6.0RC), but I'll double check. It should. The collar is definitely a pain in the ass.

3. I think disables should do two things according to type and defense - Your core stats should increase defense or resistance to disables. As well, if you are enthralled on the map, you should expend turns on that disable like you would in combat, and if you move 3-5 steps while enthralled and enter combat your enthrall has about 1 turn left, not the full duration.

4. I agree that attractiveness needs work. It affects temptation and there are not many ways to use tempt as the player, especially when your seduction lead on the other girls needs to be very VERY high to get fetishes to stick and temptation to apply. Meanwhile, Angel can easily hit you with hundreds if not thousands of damage in temptation overflow upon orgasm. Some can disable you and tempt you into overflow death.

5. I agree that clothing becomes very meaningless for the player post 20 or 30, and some late game elements of having clothes would be nice.

6. I think pets using skills (especially ones outside the character's specialization) should really cost the character something. A character's turn, defenses, something.

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
I apologize if this has been covered already because I've only been skimming the recent, jargon-filled posts, but you plan to reduce the duration of negative status effects/ailments based on the victim's attributes: "turn reduction"? That prompts the question of if it's possible to extend the duration as well, or is it static and competitors simply reach a point where a given ailment is no longer an issue? You need to consider very carefully when determining which attributes will affect status duration here, because different NPCs will be impacted differently thanks to their varied attribute builds (and if it's static, how easy is it for the player or a well-rounded NPC like Cassie to achieve immunity to most/all of the ailments?). It seems appropriate that the Power-heavy Jewel is highly resistant to being stunned and KO'd because she's a martial arts master, but are you ok with Mara being the only one to resist mind control? Is this system accommodating enough of custom or future NPCs, if that's a concern to you? To be clear, I do like the idea, but the devil is in the details, so I'm curious about the specifics.

Frenzy represents raw animal lust overtaking your good sense, so Willpower is my first thought for resisting it. You could also use Ki for the discipline angle, if you're fine with using advanced attributes; if you are it'll expand your options (or make things complicated, depending on your perspective).

On a related note, maybe you could use current Stamina/Arousal/Mojo/Willpower percentages (weighted by the maximum values and attributes, because player agency matters) for a more dynamic system. Striking a balance that way might be precarious though, so use your judgement on if you think it'll produce a meaningful distinction.

I'll have to muse over the potential costs of using pets. On one hand, they can be quite potent so it's reasonable to expect the owner to give something up for their help. On the other hand, they frequently spend a lot of turns doing nothing, and sometimes even when they do act they don't necessarily do anything valuable. Because they're such a random element in their current state, I'm having a hard time swallowing that they should cost much. Assuming you agree with this assessment: Do you like the risky element here (you pay for the pet and hope they're helpful more often than not), or would you be for something like making them more consistently useful, as a trade-off for the higher price tag?

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Well, these are just ideas - I'd like to collectively bang them into shape first before deciding what would be good to do. The goal would be to keep a disable to about 1-3 turns, and limit how they stack via resistance. There are some status effects which do this, but I think we might need to organize and streamline our moving parts because it's a little unmanageable (and, of course, one button matches)

I agree that pets RNG is a bit frustrating sometimes, but my big problem is that they expand the range of actions per round a character can do - effectively giving them more turns in a single turn. Since they now share character mechanics, I have to wonder what the counter is to someone who goes around 3 turns a turn?

Pazz

May 27, 2016
I've complained a bit about Invitation earlier, and it's still a nightmare. They use blackhole gravitation technology to insta-grapple you, and Pull Out never works. Never. Maybe you need insane power, but Invitation has a 100% hit-rate. That's my number one way of losing. Well, I always lose on purpose, but Invitation disrupts everything. I would gladly see to have it removed entirely.

Any status effect, good or bad, could have a 1 to 3 turn limit at max. I was once enthralled for 4 rounds, then stunned for 5 rounds and then Reyka "borrowed" all my attributes.

Option to sell items. Less clutter.

Shoes and socks don't do anything in this game. You can take them of, but what does it do?

Why does my submissive character lose willpower when in bottom position? He wants to be there. This mechanic also shortens fights, while I prefer to be longer, so I can see all the content.

Add more variety to pets. Angel has pets, but the only difference between them is there name.
Rekya and Eve summon a pet, when all the planets align in one row.
Everyone else doesn't?

Team matches needs an overhaul;
-Option to select team members.
-Select team matches at the start of the day, instead of a 20% chance of getting one.
-Option to not be the captain.
-Prevent captains from automatically grope other opponents.
-Disable certain abilities so that the game doesn't get confused. I.e. someone is using Fly/grab.
-Why have a map? Just let them fight 3 times or something. Maybe make the map in a line, so you have some time to prepare. Though I don't know what preparation you can do other then setting up traps.

Let me know if I can test anything.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Draonir

Jan 16, 2016
About the pets RNG.

Maybe apply a counting system like the card counting in Blackjack.

If the pet does nothing you get a point
If the point does a weak skill you get zero point
If the pet makes a medium attack you lose one point
And by a strong attack lose two points

(Numbers can be variable to balance around)

So the higher the score of the pet the more likely he makes a strong skill and vice versa if you have low points it is more likely the pet does nothing. It is still luck if you get two strong skills in a row but it should manage the percentage.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I wanna ask or discuss a few things in case I want to make some content:

Samantha:

Personality: It seems Samantha is a sophisticated girl, so her speech and mannerisms should reflect that.
Motivations: It also seems that she's motivated by money or mastery of technique. I think it should be both better explained and reflected in how she handles or taunts opponents.
Bonds: I'm not sure what would be truly core to Samantha's actions and behavior - she's involved in the games now, and there has to be some sort of reason it's okay that she's here.

Unfortunately, Samantha's data is in a JSON elsewhere in the project folders, so I'd rather not look at that nightmare and try to piece together content there. I'll leave that to someone else.

Kat:

Kat is fairly well fleshed out right now, but I think that, if there's no room for improvement, it'd be with the KatVisit class. Kat should be very dual personality and the player should want to interact with both the spirit manifestation and the girl inside that just wants to be herself.

Airi:

Airi's buggy, but I'd like to see her visit class developed.

Personality: She's very shy and nonsexual, but also seems to be affectionate and devoted. There's a lot of potential here, and I'd like to see that developed. Her affection for people should really influence her decisions and development.
Motivations: Airi probably plays the games to better understand her abilities and herself - perhaps learn to come out of her shell for people she likes.
Gameplay: Airi's buggy, but more importantly I'd say she's broken - she perfectly mimics abilities and traits, making her extremely dangerous and very powerful. She's effectively any of the existing characters whenever she wants. I think that the bugfixes to Airi will require not copying the traits of the character she's copying. Perhaps she can copy people she has items for, but not have their combat traits?

Rosea:

She's a tree. I'm not sure if I want to do anything with Rosea, as she cannot move around the map. Gameplay-wise, there's a ton of things wrong with this that can't be really made into something until we improve how the map interacts with the games and make it so "A character that can't move" actually functions within the expected fundamentals of the game. Perhaps if the player could influence her enough to grow some legs and get out more?

Eve:

I really wanna see more content for Eve because she's not only without a portrait (Which causes a bug where fighting her brings up the last person you fought...), but also without a lot of other things. I'd like to at least get to be able to visit and develop a relationship with Eve, as Jewel's dominating behavior seems a bit overblown compared to Eve.

Personality: Should be as wild but 100% honest and free. Eve doesn't care about winning, she cares about pleasing herself, which makes her dominating and somewhat irrational and unpredictable. This should be reflected in her strategy, but somehow the player needs to impact these aspects as they gain attraction or affection with them.
Motivations: It's very clear what motivates Eve, but I'd like to be able to see her express herself as more extreme than Angel or Reyka. She should be as monstrous, but more connectable and down to earth.
Bonds: Eve probably revels in the pleasures and opportunities of the games. There's probably nothing else that matters but finding new frontiers and limits to push. She wants to push the limits, whatever they are.

Primal cock description should probably be a bit more honest with itself. It'd be also neat if she had learned to shapechange it.

Maya:

Maya is also someone that I'm very interested in. Maya seems rather mature and well-grounded, but her hypnotism gimmick seems a bit too powerful and makes her a one trick pony. In some ways, she's also been scooped by Mara's Hypnovision.
Gameplay wise I'd like to see Hypnotism refined and Maya fleshed out to use cunning with expanded tempt and taunt dialogue, including level drain dialogue and perhaps a MayaVisit class. The question is - what does she do?

Maya is a recruiter for the games, so she meets many people and may be tasked with ensuring they stay secretive about the games.

Personality: She's obviously very confident and knows a lot about the games, and has the skills and cleverness to back it up. Maya probably enjoys the challenge and competitive aspects of the games, which makes her very fit to be the recruiter. She sees through things and isn't a fool. Her core stats are Cunning and Hypnotism, with 10 points in dark. I'd probably remove her points in dark in exchange for implementing more specialized moves for Maya.
Motivations: Since she enjoys the competitive aspects with an air of maturity, Maya probably doesn't need to prove anything to anyone and has a healthier or pure form of enjoyment for the games. I'd like to see this come through in her actions and interactions with others.
Bonds: Maya is obviously bonded to the games. She acts at an official capacity and seems to value the structure and meaning of fair competition.

If I were to rate my level of interest in writing some things, It'd be Maya > Eve > Airi.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
@DarkSinfulMage

Samantha: One of my favorite characters when she came out.
But not much content?
She just shows up one day as a competitor and that is it...
She has a couple unique moves, as well as portrait.
But it looks like that is where her maker stopped working on her for the most part.
I'm actually curious who her creator is to tell you the truth..?
Anywho, she needs content just as much as Rosea.
Speaking of....

Rosea: Maybe just have the MC visit her?
Have a non-mobile character location-wise isn't exactly a turn off by any means.
Over complicating her with a process to get her legs would clog some things up.
Like after she has legs, you would need to change her stuff around at that point making her basically another Airi.
I mean....she is a girl with plant tentacles.
Airi is a girl with slime tentacles.
So many issues would pop-up....
Plus having Rosea as non-mobile makes her a bit unique?
Changing her background to be owkred around that fact would be rather interesting.
Also she need more depth to her personality and such in my opinion.

Airi: Bugs, lot and lost of bugs.....yup.
Only problem I have with Airi are the bugs.
I had no trouble beating her in a match with my build, except early game where she destroyed me with engulf.

Those are my only opinions on the character?
Of course I wouldn't mind more content for Eve, and Maya and such.
But Out of all the characters, Those 3 need the most work in my opinion.
Sorry if the input is unwelcome, I just tend say what I'm thinking when I think it. <3

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I'm actually curious who her creator is to tell you the truth..?

That would be me. Samantha wasn't really intended to be a full-fledged character like the four originals. Mainly because the custom NPC system does not support daytime scenes. That doesn't mean it has to stay that way, of course. I quite like her, myself. To give a summary of the backstory, she is a world-class escort, travelling all over the world to 'entertain' the super rich. Recently she was involved with a bit of a scandal and she's currently lying low, waiting for it to blow over. She initially joined the Games on referral by Aesop, the Informant and coincidentally an old friend of hers. She decided to stick around since she likes it here.

Daytime scenes could be fun. The scandal involved a prince whose mother was none too pleased about the situation, so perhaps she could send some Bond-like secret agent for Samantha and the player to deal with.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
The Content Submission Guide on my website has some background details on each character that aren't in the text of the game. I added those for the benefit of writers, and if people are looking for more detailed information that will become relevant to the plot in the future, I can help with that.

Eve
  • Eve is a veteran sexfighter with a talent for fetish control. However, she has little ambition for winning other than for her own pleasure.
  • She has seen enough of her fellow competitors graduate into influential positions to realize the Games are a shortcut to success.
  • She has never met the Benefactor, but believes he is intentionally placing people in positions of power. She resents the idea hat she is being used.
  • Her hedonism and disinterest towards the game are her way of rebelling against this plan.
  • Eve is obsessed with body modification. Her Tattoos, dyed hair, colored irises, and added genitals are all ways she’s tried to make herself look unnatural.
Samantha
  • Samantha is an old friend of Aesop. She is not an alumni, but has experience in the Games from elsewhere.
  • It’s likely that was where she developed the skills that made her a top-class prostitute.
  • She eschews any sort of supernatural ability, taking pride in her body and skills to defeat her opponents.
Maya
  • Maya was a participant in the Games back when the Benefactor would supervise and recruit in person.
  • She fell in love when him as a participant. When he saved her life, she devoted herself to him, acting as his representative.
  • Her powers affect her more than most participants. Every full moon, it causes her desires to build out of control. She indulges in the Games once a month to sate her needs.
  • Her worshipful attitude toward the Benefactor is somewhat unhealthy, and she becomes irrationally angry when people do not respect him.
  • She takes it upon herself to try to remove troublesome individuals from the games, though it's not actually what the Benefactor wants.
  • Eve and Alice have been a thorn in her side for a long time, and she resents that they are allowed to continue undermining the spirit of the Games by devaluing victory.
On a side note, Maya is a special case because she's designed as a recurring, but infrequent, special event. She's suppose to be an overpowered character, who shows up once a month to wreck shop. The player was not intended to be able to beat her without a lot of luck and/or preparation. I'm considering doing something with her as a sort of final boss in one of the endings.

Also, it goes without saying that I have nothing on Rosea or Airi since they don't appear in the base game.

Reactions: DarkSinfulMage

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@The Silver Bard
Interesting. Didn't even know that existed. If I decide to do anything for Maya, I'd gladly work that stuff in.

Now I just need to find a way to balance Maya out so she's a post-50 character that doesn't get bopped to NGM traits and skills but is fun to both encounter and engage with.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Committed MayaTime today. Enjoy because it's almost inaccessible - Might need some work later to work it in a bit more realistically. Lots of placeholder. I'll post the sections I did today:

https://github.com/DarkSinfulMage/nightgamesmod

You eventually find Maya in one of the post-doctoral research offices, engrossed with work. Maya's office is perfectly arranged, and her face seems to be engrossed in reading and writing.

"Oh, hello, DSM." She doesn't bother looking at you, but continues typing while going through some kind of book. "What brings you here?" You ask her if she'd like to take a break and hang out for a while. "No thanks. I have important work to do here, and I'm not leaving until it's done." She picks up what looks like a piping hot cup of creamed coffee and sips it. "I'm sorry, but if you want me to play with you tonight, the answer is no. Go play with the others - that's why they are there. I am in here, working and helping to run the games."

She doesn't say much more and you leave the room, wondering if it was something you said or if you overstepped your bounds.

You find Maya in one of the post-doctoral research offices, engrossed with work. "Hello, DSM. I'm working on something games-related, so if you sit down and stay quiet you can stay.", says Maya while motioning to a nearby chair. You grab a chair and sit down, occasionally chatting with Maya about various administrative tasks that she handles while recruiting. Observing her work, you notice that Maya is very smart and seems very committed to doing a good job.

Eventually curiosity gets the better of you and you have to ask why she seems so dedicated to the games. "The games mean a lot to me. I owe everything to the games." Well, considering there's all sorts of strange supernatural stuff going on, that makes sense, but you press her for more details: "I used to compete, just like you. I almost died once, but I was thankfully saved." She glances over at you, her sharp eyes softening a bit before re-hardening as her face returns to her work. "So...no matter how good you are, you're not perfect. Our abilities are real - take the games seriously or someone will get hurt." You get the feeling there's more to this story, but you're pretty sure pressing further is a mistake. You assure Maya that you won't do anything dangerous. "Good. I care a lot about the games, so don't make me have to discipline you myself for screwing up." It seems Maya's harder to get to open up than the other girls, but she's definitely very interesting.

Last edited:

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
..."I used to compete, just like you. I almost died once, but I was thankfully saved." She glances over at you, her sharp eyes softening a bit before re-hardening as her face returns to her work. "So...no matter how good you are, you're not perfect. Our abilities are real - take the games seriously or someone will get hurt."...

You can disregard this, since I don't have any editorial control over the mod, but there are a couple things here that contradict some exposition from Maya's draw scene.
..."I think I owe you quite a reward, but it appears your carnal desires are already sated. I know, I'll tell you a secret that Tyler would probably charge you a fortune for."

She looks at you intently, her eyes shining. "Let's start with a trivia question: in all the years these Games have been going on, how many competitors do you think have gotten seriously hurt?"
This is a bit of an unfair question since you don't know how long the Games have been running. There can't have been too many, or it would have attracted attention. The matches are pretty rough and the physical combat seems to escalate over time. Probably 5-10?

"Wrong. The answer is zero. No one has ever been injured in a match. It's not just due to Lilly's hardwork, as diligent as she and her predecessors have been. It's because we're under our Benefactor's protection."
Her expression has shifted slightly as she talks. It now appears more like hero worship, along with something else you can't quite identify.
"There's pain, of course. If we girls couldn't take advantage of male vulnerabilities, it would interfere with match balance. Yet, no matter how hard you get hit, you'll be back on your feet in no time, with no long term effects."

Her smile turns wistful as she stares off into space. Her voice drops almost to a whisper. "Our Benefactor is kind. Maybe too kind. He cannot bear to see any of His chosen hurt. That's why He couldn't let me die."
You suddenly realize what she reminds you of. She looks and sounds like a nun at prayer. She turns her attention back to you.
"I think that was more than one secret. I could just erase that last bit from your memory, but I'll just call it a bonus."

Other than the fact that it's impossible for someone in the Games to get hurt, she also implies that the fact the Benefactor saved her life is a secret. I don't think she'd casually drop it in conversation.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
You can disregard this, since I don't have any editorial control over the mod, but there are a couple things here that contradict some exposition from Maya's draw scene.
It's because we're under our Benefactor's protection."
Her expression has shifted slightly as she talks. It now appears more like hero worship, along with something else you can't quite identify.
"There's pain, of course. If we girls couldn't take advantage of male vulnerabilities, it would interfere with match balance. Yet, no matter how hard you get hit, you'll be back on your feet in no time, with no long term effects."

Her smile turns wistful as she stares off into space. Her voice drops almost to a whisper. "Our Benefactor is kind. Maybe too kind. He cannot bear to see any of His chosen hurt. That's why He couldn't let me die."

Other than the fact that it's impossible for someone in the Games to get hurt, she also implies that the fact the Benefactor saved her life is a secret. I don't think she'd casually drop it in conversation.

Well, she kinda just *did*...I don't think it's such a bad thing that - in private - she doesn't mind telling the player, since by the time they've earned about 15 points with her. (I halved her typical point gain in the file, since I think she's harder to earn points with, anyways)

But that's a good point and thanks for bringing that up - I can correct the line about getting hurt to get the same point across - she doesn't want the player making any trouble for the group that is running the games.

Pazz

May 27, 2016
Can someone, for crying out loud, tell me when I can fight Maya? I've only seen her one time.

About the other special characters;
I do like Samantha and Eve.
Rosea should be able to move.
Airi starts really slow, and only has one player-loss scene. She could use more content.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@Pazz
She appears once a month on the 30th after you get at least rank 1. TSB just said she attends monthly to deal with the effects of her powers.

Maybe the player can unroot Rosea once they get the right materials and affection levels in game, but this will require a lot of work to create and implement, probably an update centered around Rosea; low priority IMO.

For now, since I'm most interested in Maya, I'd like to work with her, first. In the meantime, the issue of bugs still stands. Without help, I'm left to untangle the crash involving body parts by myself, including problems associated with Airi and with pets. I'm poking at the project and losing steam, which is why I'm taking requests for additions or fixes so I can go explore and find things along the way.

If anyone wants to contribute or try their hand at Eve's portrait set - that'd be nice. Here's Eve's description:

If there's one word to describe Eve's appearance, it would have to be 'wild'. Her face is quite pretty, though her eyes are an unnerving silver color. She has bright purple hair gathered in a messy ponytail, a variety of tattoos decorating her extremely shapely body, and of course it's impossible to miss the larger than average cock and balls hanging between between her legs.

Eve's default clothing is a tanktop and jeans, with stiletto pumps, garters, and crotchless panties. I think her color palette is purple and black. She has D cup breasts. Like TSB posted, she's a sadist and is a rebel within the games. If it you make a full portrait, her cock is obviously a dog cock with a big knot.

Every character has six key images:
  • Angry
  • Confident (Normal)
  • Desperate
  • Dominant
  • Horny
  • Nervous
Mostly only requiring changing the facial expression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pazz

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Noticed something:

Among all of the portaits - Maya's Dominant portrait is named maya_dom instead of maya_dominant like all the others. This would break the BasePersonality.image() method, which changes the image based upon name. I don't know how to change this in the project, so I'll just make an issue of it here.

EDIT: Tried to make a fix - committed it. I also fixed a NPE I spotted when the player has level drainer but no pussy.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Okay - time to work on a bug I've been noticing for a while:

Doubling Encounters:

Not only does this cause a rather funny chaining of encounters - it also affects the character state of characters. I could fix more than one bird with a stone if I manage to fix this.

You find Angel still naked from your last encounter, but she's not fair game again until she replaces her clothes.
You notice Angel heads for one of the safe rooms, probably to get a change of clothes.
You are in the Dorm. Everything is quieter than it would be in any other dorm this time of night. You've been told the entire first floor is empty during match hours, but you wouldn't be surprised if a few of the residents are hiding in their rooms, peeking at the fights. You've stashed some clothes in one of the rooms you're sure is empty, which is common practice for most of the competitors.

You encounter Angel, but you still haven't recovered from your last fight.

This is interesting because it shows that after we finish a fight with angel, we get an interesting sequence of lines:
  1. an encounter message coming out - saying she can't be engaged.
  2. Then we see her dash to the next room. (This message should either occur first or angel does it as a matter of repeating encounters...)
  3. The location description text shows.
  4. and then we get an incorrect character state line from angel, who isn't even in the room anymore!
I tracked this down once, but the possibility exists that the sequence of events when one or more characters enters or exits a room might have more than one line happening in places. Tracking this down may take time since many things happen when you or a character enter or exit a room.

Looking inside Encounter, we can see a possible culprit:

Code:
  public boolean encounter(Character p) {
        // We can't run encounters if a fight is already occurring.
        if (fight != null && fight.checkIntrude(p)) {
            p.intervene(fight, fight.getPlayer(1), fight.getPlayer(2));
        } else if (present.size() > 1 && canFight(p)) {
            for (Character opponent : Global.getMatch().getCombatants()) {          //FIXME: Currently - encounters repeat - Does this check if they are busy?
                if (present.contains(opponent) && opponent != p                    
                               && canFight(opponent)
                               && Global.getMatch().canEngage(p, opponent)) {
                    fight = Global.getMatch().buildEncounter(p, opponent, this);
                    return fight.spotCheck();
                }
            }
        }
        return false;
    }

There's a few places to look here - firstly, addressing what's happening in the loop should take priority. As well, characters are not indexed to start at 0 in getPlayer(), which can get confusing. Perhaps there's something wrong in the logic. Looking at both canfight and canengage shows a bit of a strange setup. They seem to be the same method, but canEngage always returns true....

Code:
    public boolean canFight(Character initiator, Character opponent) {
        return !mercy.get(initiator).contains(opponent);
    }

/**FIXME: Is this supposed to be always true?*/
    public boolean canEngage(Character initiator, Character opponent) {
        return true;
    }

Seeing as neither method is documented, I'm not sure which needs to be fixed or removed, but it's hard to pinpoint the source of the error AND the source of the out-of sequence series of problems. As well, Area.canfight() is different than Match.canFight(). They should have more descriptive method names and proper JavaDoc documentation.

Marking these issues for later work.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
Just for curiosity I was wondering when we might start to see some of these more recent changes (since February anyways) rolled up into the package. I gather that a lot of it is more to the tone of tweaking the competition but still. It is a fun mod. I figured it was safer to wait for the link to be updated to a new release rather than trying to browse the git repository since that stuff looks like the WIP content that still has to be merged into the final package in the end.

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like a new version will be out soon as there's still a lot to do before that can happen.

Yellow Snowman

Jul 24, 2017
Love the game, been playing for 2 days now and am level 97. New to the forum and I have some suggestions and requests:

- Would be fun if when you use the "grow penis" potion on Eve (that's the hermaphrodite right?) she'd end up with two penises? Lots of possibilities. Same goes for the "grow vagina" potion.
- I had over 100 points in submissive before I could buy the trait submissive. Seems weird?
- I would really like to get rid of "corruption". It's definitely a mixed blessing, but too often I end up pinned with my Strength and Cunning drained and I can't do anything for many, many turns. Remove Addiction should be more specific, so you can choose which one
- I wish there were options to take down someone and reverse mount them in one go. Now I use Force Down, Stand Up, Reverse Mount.
- Similarly, I wish there was a Stumble into reverse mount. I guess I'm just a sucker for face sitting / giving oral
- I would like an "Offer Mouth" when you are on your back, and an "Offer Ass" whenever your opponent is wearing a strap-on (or has a penis I guess)
- I hate when I try to remove her panties but instead take her strap-on off.
- I've only had it once that two girls teamed up on me. Definitely wouldn't mind that happening more often
- And finally (for now), I would love watersports in the game, but that might just be me.