Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
Just checking in to see how everyone's doin'.

Just theory crafting here 'cause I'm bored, but was curious if it could be possible to add ways to directly interact your pets, as if to target them instead of your opponent, in a bold attempt to ware down your opponent's willpower. Was thinking about it in a sort of, "If I were actually in one of these fights, what would I do that I can't in game," way and thought it'd be interesting to be able to throw a summoned pet under the bus for a risky move. An even more out there idea of mine was for the ability of summoning pets to have the added risk that they could on occasion turn on you to sate themselves, potentially turning a fight in one's favor upside-down for the other.

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
Just checking in to see how everyone's doin'.

Just theory crafting here 'cause I'm bored, but was curious if it could be possible to add ways to directly interact your pets, as if to target them instead of your opponent, in a bold attempt to ware down your opponent's willpower. Was thinking about it in a sort of, "If I were actually in one of these fights, what would I do that I can't in game," way and thought it'd be interesting to be able to throw a summoned pet under the bus for a risky move. An even more out there idea of mine was for the ability of summoning pets to have the added risk that they could on occasion turn on you to sate themselves, potentially turning a fight in one's favor upside-down for the other.

I can see directly interacting with your pets as a sort of evolved tease attack. Maybe perform something sexual with them to arouse your opponent further? Or were you thinking of something else?

As for the risky attack, I'm actually a fan of that idea. Something about your summon turning on you, even for an instant, is an insanely hot idea to me. I can particularly see that of the goblin or imp. . .

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
You nailed it. The image in my head is like this: The player unexpectedly turns to face their summoned pet and starts making out with them, all the while the opponent watches in stunned belief. If the idea works, the opponent gets the effect of a strong tease attack, perhaps becoming stunned and unable to do anything but masturbate (like being enthralled but the only option is masturbate rather than obey). The risk is that in the very same way that you can mess with your own pet, your pets can wind up turning their attention on you instead of your opponent, turning the 2v1 in your favor into a 2v1 in your opponent's. Essentially, the idea in general is for summoning to be more of a high-risk, high-reward system. It would also make pets less mechanical and more organic in nature, in a way less mindlessly obedient and more dynamic.

Don't know how hard that would be to code, or later on, debug and optimize, but there it is anyways. It just feels like pets are more like robotic drones that would never betray their owner, making them somewhat boring to me. Making them possibly, even if rarely, more damning than beneficial to bring to the fight just seems more exciting I guess.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
- There's too many sources of tease/tempt damage as is and tease damage ramps out of control.
- Pets are currently messing up Action Economy.
- Pets currently bugging out temporary traits and effects.
- Stuns and other disables are also messing up action economy.

I don't mind pets as is but I think that it's high time we stopped tacking on new features and fixed the game's mechanical and programmatic spaghetti problems.

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
Can't really say I disagree with you on that. You're right in fact that balance and stability, while not as sexy or exciting, are critical and central to gameplay. Just bouncing ideas off the wall...a combination of having literally no coding experience myself and being bored.

That said, now I want spaghetti for dinner. Time to preheat the oven...

ThisIsMe

May 27, 2017
Created this account just to thank the people working on the game. It's tremendously enjoyable at the moment, even if quite a bit buggy (following dndw's advice, I reverted to version 2.512).

Since I'm here, I thought I could give you some feedback :

1/ It seems to be very (too?) easy to consistently reach a higher level than most girls, even if I switch on all the settings favoring NPCs : "Advanced Start/Disadvantaged" + "NPC bonuses" checked on start screen + "NPC bonuses" activated in options. Is there anything I can do to prevent that, to keep fights entertaining (the level gap really hurts the girls after a while) ?

2/ No matter what I do (win or lose), I also seem to often get highest money rewards at the end of the day. Not sure if this is right.

3/ Finally, if the game manages to keep things spicy with new traits and events as time goes by, I wonder if things couldn't be even more interesting with some kind of "tiers", adding floors and why not a complete "championship" with teams and duels. Right now, it's only one floor, with maybe 10 or so girls "parasiting" each other's opportunities at leveling and keeping up with the player (since only 4 can ever participate in one round).

4/ More ambushes, more traps, more sneaky stuff and devious surprises, from the girls and whoever organizes the game please!

5/ I absolutely loved there being "consequences" during the day for what happened during the night, like Mara's semi-persistent "enthralling/control", forcing the player to look up for new ways to get rid of it. I hope there will be more of that kind of stuff (perhaps there already is, sorry if I missed it, I still consider myself much of a newbie at the game).

Thank you again for your hard work, it's much appreciated.

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
You guys have any recommendations for changing an image file's size? I'm trying to swap out some of the images with some of my own and I'm running into a scaling issue with some of them being too big to fit (obligatory Mr. Torgue voice, "Puns, mother f***er") properly in game. I've honestly never tried to modify an image file to resize it like that so I have no idea if Windows 10 comes equipped for it already or if I need to hunt down some software.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
You guys have any recommendations for changing an image file's size? I'm trying to swap out some of the images with some of my own and I'm running into a scaling issue with some of them being too big to fit (obligatory Mr. Torgue voice, "Puns, mother f***er") properly in game. I've honestly never tried to modify an image file to resize it like that so I have no idea if Windows 10 comes equipped for it already or if I need to hunt down some software.

I use GIMP 2 for image manipulation. It's not nearly as versatile as photoshop, but it's free.

12centDime

Mar 16, 2017
Is there anything I can do to prevent that, to keep fights entertaining (the level gap really hurts the girls after a while) ?
Yeah, the girls don't like gaining exp correctly. :( For now, if you use Credits -> Debug, you can enter <tgt>.ding <amount> (so, for example, Cassie.ding 2 will cause Cassie to level twice) until the levels seem fair to you. Capitalization matters for this. I'm not sure how safe it actually is to use this, but I haven't ever noticed anything odd after using it during the day, so take I think its fine to use. Never actually tried to see what happens if you try to level them past 9 without picking a specialization, so maybe watch out for specialization levels.

Suggestions for new Challenge types:

- Victories using only powers.
- Victories using only normie skills.
- Victories won having used a trap.
What's the difference between a power and a normal skill? If you enter into a match with the powers only requirement, can you not even use Fondle Breasts? This feels like it needs to better describe where the line is. Also, I don't think Animism or Ki actually have in-built ways to deal pleasure damage at all. Unless Tail Job counts? Not sure if that counts as a skill or a power, since it can be unlocked with Seduction or Animism.

On the trap challenge, I think the traps need more balance before letting Lily make a challenge out of them. Atm, even just using the Bind trap will heavily favor you to win any match. You can just put one down on every applicable square you cross, then double back every few squares or so.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@12centDime

Pretty much. You need powers, not normal skills. In order to win, you must build the mojo and use them or try to gain some sort of map advantage on someone or choose your target carefully.

Only reason any of the traps and disables are good are because the game is 1v1, back and forth turns with actions expanding for pets and hard disables. This is why I favor improving the map
part of the game and possibly rework the way several effects and disables work.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
@12centDime
Pretty much. You need powers, not normal skills. In order to win, you must build the mojo and use them or try to gain some sort of map advantage on someone or choose your target carefully.

Can you define powers and normal skills? Those aren't terms used in the game, unless they've been added to the mod without me noticing.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Can you define powers and normal skills? Those aren't terms used in the game, unless they've been added to the mod without me noticing.

I would define a power as:

Any Skill that - usually over distance - does something supernaturally.

Examples: Eyes of Temptation, Magic Missile, Lust Aura, Dark Tendrils, Flash Step

Opposites: Slight of Hand, Kiss, Slap, Counter, Sweep

Sacredferro

Aug 26, 2015
So, practical abilities vs. fictional abilities? There might be a few moves that could be argued as either/or, though.

Speaking of challenges, I realize there isn't anything to indicate what challenge you've accepted or even that you're doing one at all during matches. Maybe a "Challenge Active: blah, blah, blah" line could be added under "Statuses" or something like that. I know the availability of saves kind of renders such a need mute, but just wanted to raise attention to it in case it happens to be doable. Sometimes, I'll play through half of a match and come back to it later, and challenges like the ones DarkSinfulMage suggested might make that more relevant depending on how it's done.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I've been exploring the possibility of making icons for various statuses, but I'd like us to work on a complete set before doing that as well as the implications for GUI design.

Right now - IMO - the major tasks on the table to be considered are:

- Fixing Addictions and effects processing across the map when out of combat.
- Bug fixes
- UN-spaghettiing various parts of data and code.
- Finishing tasks that might have gone unfinished - converting character to all customized classes
- XML data save and load.
- GUI improvements
- Content production.

From my own point of view - the first three are very important and need to be done before anything else new is put in. It's pretty clear that if any of us want things we want in the mod, we'll need to rewrite several parts of the program and clean up several things. I can help with this, but I really would not like to do it alone and without input from those who put work in.

After that's in a satisfactory place, we can move on to XML Data, which will make exporting data and altering it easier. The game will also be easier to balance via spreadsheets.
In the meantime, we can discuss improvements to the GUI. Status condition Icons, more/new character images, whatever.
As well, people can start producing content once it's easier to do without altering the character java file.

Actually, I would look to HentaiHighSchool for guidance on systems that use XML for data storage and scene scripting. They may be using .NET and WPF, but the general design offers some level of guidance towards building what the mod would require.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Thanks! DNDW are you planning to continue putting out releases?

After the last couple releases (RC1/RC2) I believe they are trying to fix all the game breaking bugs, and horrible typo's they find first.
I myself would love a new updated game release, but I would rather it not crash after some action happens after every couple minutes of gameplay?
So is best to just leave them to it, and to either wish them luck or help them with the coding issues available.
If only I knew coding myself, I would help them in any way I could....

CappyAnon

Dec 27, 2016
I'm just chipping in that I'm glad bugs and issues are being fixed as a priority now. I really like the NG mod even as is, it's content is rather expansive and it has nice replay-ability and progression, but it would be nice if the features and customizable starts were working somewhat reliably, and also if putting the gender slider appeared to do things and actually affect your opponents according to it's position.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
I think I may have forgotten to report this, but I think there's a bug where the win conditions of the match get mixed up and your character gets the wrong engagement status versus your opponent - making them off limits or fair game to you incorrectly.

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Updated Eclipse to Neon...trying to run the game in eclipse I get a strange JVM Error.

EDIT: Removed Trace - issue resolved.

If anyone is interested in a subtask before I do it myself: Several scenes in each character should probably be moved to a private method and called from the larger method in order to make life a lot easier while the scenes are still hardcoded. This only really requires moving the actual text to the private method and just leaving the decision structure in place. As well, a LOT of scenes require line breaks and whitespace.

@dndw @nergantre

Any progress on your ends? Looking at it myself, I'd say I'd rather leave some things to you guys before going any further with what I'd like to do.

Existing Bugs:

- Addiction Ticks outside of combat causing NPE and hard lock.
- Encounters and multiplying event triggers.
- Part addition/subtracting hardlock
- Pets and Airi as related to above.
- Various typos and line breaks in scenes that were wordblobs.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
After doublechecking, I've discovered the off limits status is a reporting bug, since you can see "you can't engage" message but still engage. I'll look into it.

I'm currently correcting some minor things - I'll edit this post with the commits I've made for them.

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at nightgames.characters.Character.resolvePostOrgasmForOpponent(Character.java:2418)
   at nightgames.characters.Character.resolveOrgasm(Character.java:2101)
   at nightgames.characters.NPC.resolveOrgasm(NPC.java:862)
   at nightgames.characters.Character.doOrgasm(Character.java:2034)
   at nightgames.characters.Character.resolvePleasure(Character.java:867)
   at nightgames.characters.body.Body.pleasure(Body.java:821)
   at nightgames.skills.Tighten.resolve(Tighten.java:80)
   at nightgames.skills.Skill.resolve(Skill.java:245)
   at nightgames.combat.Combat.resolveSkill(Combat.java:1255)
   at nightgames.combat.Combat.doAction(Combat.java:1052)
   at nightgames.combat.Combat.turn(Combat.java:878)
   at nightgames.combat.Combat.resumeNoClearFlag(Combat.java:302)
   at nightgames.combat.Combat.resume(Combat.java:312)
   at nightgames.gui.GUI.lambda$14(GUI.java:1519)
   at nightgames.gui.RunnableButton.lambda$0(RunnableButton.java:15)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Code:
public void upkeep() {
        getTraits().forEach(trait -> {
            if (trait.status != null) {
                Status newStatus = trait.status.instance(this, null);
                if (!has(newStatus)) {
                    addNonCombat(newStatus);
                }
            }
        });
        regen();
        tick(null);                     //FIXME: This is the culprit of the Addiction NPE outside of combat. Nulls are not handled by methods used within tick and Addiction.tick()
        if (has(Trait.Confident)) {
            willpower.restore(10);
            mojo.reduce(5);
        } else {
            willpower.restore(5);
            mojo.reduce(10);
        }
        if (has(Trait.exhibitionist) && mostlyNude()) {
            mojo.restore(2);
        }
        dropStatus(null, null);
        if (has(Trait.QuickRecovery)) {
            heal(null, Global.random(4, 7), " (Quick Recovery)");
        }
        update();
        notifyObservers();
    }

I've found the thing assigning combat to null, but the subsequent methods do not handle combat being null when processing addictions outside of the active combat. I've marked it for study and fixing.

For a look at my recent commits, see:
https://github.com/DarkSinfulMage/nightgamesmod/commits/master

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
Getting lonely in here!

Latest on my fork has - among other things - a simple help command added to debug window, which displays available commands. Now we don't have to keep posting it. :D

If there's any requests, get em in!

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
In the Imbue Fetish ability, can you somehow alter it to choose which one you want to imbue?

That'd be pretty nice, We'd have to copy whatever process Throw/Use Item has to bring up a second menu and be able to cancel it. I'd like to be able to manage and use fetishes more effectively, myself.

Expand the corruption tag/description to all body parts

Can you explain this one for me? I know we have various tags attached to skills and that is not hard to do but can you explain the problem and your solution?

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Getting lonely in here!

Latest on my fork has - among other things - a simple help command added to debug window, which displays available commands. Now we don't have to keep posting it. :D

If there's any requests, get em in!

The only thing I would personally want would be for the moves list to keep being updated.
The one that tells what each skill/passive buff is called, as well as what it does.
Otherwise I would like to thank you all for the great work, and to remind you all to take breaks.
Last thing that is needed is for somebody to be overworked from something like a game mod.
Sleep, Food, and mental relaxation via gaming/TV/sports.
With that you won't burn out from all work and no play. <3

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
When characters get corrupted by reyka, all of their body parts do too. Just descriptions for tf's and parts after the TF's. Honestly, i just want to see more succubus footjobs and footfag related crap. But that is it. I also think the skill drain when you (the pc) get corrupted or addicted is WAY too high, it is nearly impossible to play with so much as one addiction.

IIRC, the corruption addiction applies demonic mods to things, so we'd have to make a second set of corrupted parts that are essentially the same, but provide a specific description.

Or, we could just give more detail to demonic parts to begin with. Right now they just get one word descriptions, just like all the other part mods. I wouldn't wanna change the current system further, but what we COULD do without changing or adding anything substantial is make the text showing someone's corruption easier to see or longer in description. I can do that myself if we are okay for that.

EDIT: I've already started. Just need to implement check if you are the player. Now more cool things can be said.

The only thing I would personally want would be for the moves list to keep being updated.
The one that tells what each skill/passive buff is called, as well as what it does.
Otherwise I would like to thank you all for the great work, and to remind you all to take breaks.
Last thing that is needed is for somebody to be overworked from something like a game mod.
Sleep, Food, and mental relaxation via gaming/TV/sports.
With that you won't burn out from all work and no play. <3

Well, at this point, in my personal opinion, the mod is great but it's a buggy mess and it needs a lot of refactoring and overhauling. To be honest, I think each person capable of putting in time and talent to do the level or work required would rather build their own game than overhaul this one, or they wish to donate what they wish to give to the mod as a matter of community and charity. (Which I have done and am doing in both respects.).

So, personally, my plan is to contribute some time to programming tasks and hopefully help get all contributors involved get all over the hump of substantially changing the game programmatically, and then hopefully everyone feels comfortable contributing things that we'd all like to contribute. I don't wanna undo changes anyone's been doing, but I wanna open up the dialogue to changing things so we can improve the game program and game mechanics. I'm vocal, I'm active, and I'm persistent, but I'm not a bully and I'm not insensitive to others who've been putting in work. I really wanna talk with dndw and nergantre to hear what they have to say about it and if we can agree on things we should work on and on cooperating. (As they are the two largest contributors, and were here first)

Of course, I'm active right now, but that's because I have time and some amount of talent and enthusiasm. That can also fade, just like everyone else.

Here's some very certain things if we all wish to substantially improve NGM:

- Someone's work is going to get undone.
- Someone will be working more than someone else.
- Someone has to give up the prospect of indispensability.
- The game and the program will substantially change.
- Some sort of agreement with The Silver Bard, who's now making money off Nightgames, will have to be understood and honored both ways even after we substantially change or transform things.

So - for your things:

The list of skills is extensive at this point, and I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but one of the things I'd like to do is introduce commentary and documentation to make parts of the game engine and skills, including how some mechanics and skills work in comments. This will take a while, as I don't understand a lot of things, which are mired in a tangle of relationships of data and components. Sorting these out really really should happen first, IMO - as in some cases like combat sessions, addictions, and data, do not work correctly.

If you were to ask for my own plan of action, it's this:

1. Fix current problems with matches and keeping time and data running. The game is basically unplayable if a single addiction is processed outside of combat, causing a game seizing NPE. I've looked at it, documented it, but I can't and won't fix it until I have a discussion about it because it's indicative of a system design problem. I can't just rewrite the game by myself. Until then, I'm making small improvements.

2. Once that's fixed, I'd like to consolidate and clean up the code. Aside from combat, matches, encounters, and statuses, I'd convert Traits to CharTraits and rename it, make addictions and statuses carry their own equipment around, and then start arranging things to begin a move from JSON to XML, as I think we agreed on some level that JSON is becoming troublesome for our needs before the much nicer and more commonplace XML.

3. Eve. Maya. Rosea. Samantha. I want these characters fleshed out but I don't know if they are fair game to write for or modify. I just don't know. If I'm okay, then I'd like to discuss what the general guidance on their content is and I can start contributing.

Last edited:

DarkSinfulMage

Nov 18, 2016
@Sanger77 How's this for a start?

FOR PLAYER:
The dark taint changes {self:name-do} even further, and {self:possessive} pussy begins to drip with a vile corruption that transforms it into that of a succubus!

FOR EVERYONE ELSE: (unchanged)
The dark taint changes {self:name-do} even further, and {self:possessive} pussy turns into that of a succubus!

I've started on these for all in that block - there's more room down the line for extra details. I can start with that. I won't commit these until I can test them, meaning Addiction needs fixing first.

My fork is updated with the latest in terms of markups and stuff, but I've added RC1 of the Ultimate Drain Challenge. Since I enjoy draining levels and the thrill of disempowering or empowering the girls so much. Let me know how it goes! I suspect I should start the starting level higher. Let me know.

Ultimate Drain Challenge:
  • Everyone starts at level 6.
  • Everyone Drains everything and is indiscriminate.
  • I might add Gluttony to everyone, too.

Last edited: