[Guide] How to make a mod for Corruption of Champions

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
If you would some other issues I would try keep an eye on this thread for the rest of the weekend and try answer those questions too.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
clearOutput() function is used if you want clean up text from main window. So like if new scene starts you use it to remove all previous text so new text will be showed on cleaned mian window section rather then below already show text. So if it used before sprites it's due to that it was some new scene that required all previous showed text been cleared ^^

TheGreatPotato49

Jul 3, 2016
clearOutput() function is used if you want clean up text from main window. So like if new scene starts you use it to remove all previous text so new text will be showed on cleaned mian window section rather then below already show text. So if it used before sprites it's due to that it was some new scene that required all previous showed text been cleared ^^

ok thankyou

TheGreatPotato49

Jul 3, 2016
ok thankyou

Ok I cant get it to work in game when I compile it says no errors but my dialogue never comes up and In trying to fix it I screwed up the code to where I need to start from scratch I was just trying  to get it to start after a week in game but it never showed up so I am curious to what I could of done wrong also the affection counter did not show up in stats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Did you placed this new dialogue right after Shouldra 4th dream? (probably yo done but asking jsut in case you placed it somewhere else). Also I think 2-3 previous dreams could have not word if but else if before them and erroro message got word else. IN such case before your dream put else if not just if.

For affection been tracked ingame you need look for section about affection stats in engine core file. Just look how other similar affections are traced and after coping one jsut change needed names of the flags and displayed npc name.

For triggering event after set time...I not yet used this timed event function so here I can't help at all...maybe Etis or Kitteh could be help on this one.

TheGreatPotato49

Jul 3, 2016
Did you placed this new dialogue right after Shouldra 4th dream? (probably yo done but asking jsut in case you placed it somewhere else). Also I think 2-3 previous dreams could have not word if but else if before them and erroro message got word else. IN such case before your dream put else if not just if.

For affection been tracked ingame you need look for section about affection stats in engine core file. Just look how other similar affections are traced and after coping one jsut change needed names of the flags and displayed npc name.

For triggering event after set time...I not yet used this timed event function so here I can't help at all...maybe Etis or Kitteh could be help on this one.

ok so redcap my  new dream dialogue needs to be under the 4th dream for affection check the core game files and I think for simplicity sake I am goind to set it to start after the affection meter is filled and thank you again

TheGreatPotato49

Jul 3, 2016
ok so redcap my  new dream dialogue needs to be under the 4th dream for affection check the core game files and I think for simplicity sake I am goind to set it to start after the affection meter is filled and thank you again

ok have another problem  I got the dream to work but the simple choices is not working I did it right I get no errors but it dose not show them in game

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
ok have another problem  I got the dream to work but the simple choices is not working I did it right I get no errors but it dose not show them in game

I suggest not use simple choices function but menu function. Generaly either me or Kitteh slowly replacing piece by piece all places where was simple choices function to menu function.

TheGreatPotato49

Jul 3, 2016
I suggest not use simple choices function but menu function. Generaly either me or Kitteh slowly replacing piece by piece all places where was simple choices function to menu function.

ok I will try that I read about you changing simple functions to something else thankyou

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
ok I will try that I read about you changing simple functions to something else thankyou

It's just easier to use function imho. Instead of having only max 5 choices and you need to type someting for each of them, you can have up to 10 (or 15 if you use interface like one of mods) choices to be used.

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015
is there a place that has this already done and ready for download?

As in changing the settings for FlashDevelop?

Or a game file thats already compiled? As Revamp and XIanxia have ready to play downloads on they're topic pages.

ace62354

Jun 5, 2016
as in all three mods put together and ready to play... 

and do you know if all the mods well be in the revamp mod or all three separate? 

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015

and do you know if all the mods well be in the revamp mod or all three separate? 

The dragon patch i think can be combineable with either mod, but combining Revamp and Xianxia might be more difficult. Xianxia itself is already based on an older version of Revamp so there's already some things that are in both mods.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015

Stadler Dragon patch is mainly branch off from revamp and his main purpose of it is slowly adding features added first in Dragon mod into Revamp with possibility of them added to Xianxia too if I want it (since Stadler said he's fine if I take some of stuff he wrote for his mod, then again I would also give him code for stuff from my mod he would like to add to Dragon mod).

As for Revamp and Xianxia itselfs both currently growing into two mods that sharing much of base (namely after Kitteh not expresed his protest I base Xianxia - back in those days still Wuxia mod of Revamp 1.13.9 or 1.13.8 version) but each having slight different additional bonus content. So it's up to people to choose what stuff they like and thus pick mod they want to play with.

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
btw: I had a problem, when trying to compile the .swf into the same dir, where the .fla-files are located, which would be the projects root-dir. I'd recommend to compile it to a directory outside of the project. For example the parent directory.

To do this: After you've imported the project, click Project -> Properties and in the 'Project Properties' window, simply click Browse to change the directory and filename of the Output File. (See screenshot)

Just a heads up to this: I have reverted that setting, since I can compile the .swf file inside of the project directory now. :)

Alvera

Jun 4, 2016
Hey there, having an issue with testing the source codes:

Error: Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'\CurrentVersion'
has value '1.8', but '1.7' is required.
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.
Build halted with errors (fcsh).
Incremental compile of 0

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015

Java has shoddy ways of upgrading versions.

Try removing java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe from C:\WINDOWS\System32. Else, fully uninstall and then reinstall java

Blue August

Sep 2, 2016
Hey, recent discoverer of CoC here, first time posting. I went through the 'how to mod' thread and decided to take a stab at making some new content just for fun. I started with the main game files to get my feet wet - i know absolutely nothing at all about coding and I'm hoping I can get by through cutting pasting and editing existing stuff. I've made some progress and gotten over a few hurdles.

-So far I managed to add a new location - the Deep Desert. It's discovered by exploring the Desert, and I successfully got it to appear in the 'Explore Regions' window and have a couple of placeholder events there. However, whenever I save and reload a game file, the Deep Desert button disappears and I have to explore the Desert again to re-unlock it.

-I added an encounter to the Deep Desert called the Lamia Bandit, basically an anthro-mountain lion desert bandit character. I gave him a throwing bolas ability that was based on the naga constrict - it works, but when the player struggles it still refers to the naga constricting them. Haven't been able to figure out how to add a new status affect and description to go with the new ability name yet.

Still learning and poking away, also still learning my away around the forums. If anyone has any immediate suggestions please tell me. Also as I mentioned I'm using the original game files to get started, but if anyone thinks I'd be better off using a mod version instead please tell me.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
There is no difference using orginal aka vanilla CoC or one of moded version of CoC. Latter would only have more stuff in it. As for ability in most cases you need to create new status effect and then write additional code that newly created status effect. Well simply put you need to look over code and see where it meantion naga constrict status effect. In all places it was meantioned in code you need to make another version to use status effect you created for your throwin bolas ability. As for exploring...hmm did you made some new flag to be used as explore counter for this new area. In orginal it was handled diff ways if PC explored some location but in mods it using mainly flag.

And no worry I similar started trying to copy part of code to make something new and then gradulay moved to put some new things that wasn't in code.

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015
-So far I managed to add a new location - the Deep Desert. It's discovered by exploring the Desert, and I successfully got it to appear in the 'Explore Regions' window and have a couple of placeholder events there. However, whenever I save and reload a game file, the Deep Desert button disappears and I have to explore the Desert again to re-unlock it.

As Ormael said, any variables you make will be deleted on game exit, unless you make a flag variable. The comments at the bottom of the previous page go into some more detail on them.

-I added an encounter to the Deep Desert called the Lamia Bandit, basically an anthro-mountain lion desert bandit character. I gave him a throwing bolas ability that was based on the naga constrict - it works, but when the player struggles it still refers to the naga constricting them. Haven't been able to figure out how to add a new status affect and description to go with the new ability name yet.

Try googling the naga text via searching: site:github.com/herp-a-derp "nagabind". From that, just find the files that detail nagabind, duplicate it and rename it to yours.

So in this case, you'll want to add an entry to Player.as to remove the status when combats over, and add to StatusAffects.as to list your grapple.

combat.as has all the text for the grapple. Again, just copy the blocks of text that mention nagabind, then duplicate, raname and retext with what you want.

Blue August

Sep 2, 2016
Success! Thanks @Ormael and @hatternumber0 - got my new area showing up permanently and new custom strings displaying for the Lamia Bandit's abilities - combat.as was the last file I needed to find to get everything working. Just need to tidy up the outcomes and fill in the text and the first encounter will be done.

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
Personally I use grep for searching through the filebase, but that requires, that you at least know the RegEx-basics. Theres GnuWin32 to install it on windows. Just go to packages there and then you should download and install the Setup of Grep and add the 'bin' directory to your path. Additionally I'd suggest you to install GnuWin32 Coreutils, too (same page)

As an alternative to GitHub Desktop I'd suggest you to install GitKraken as your Git GUI parallel to GitHub Desktop (a few things are still better to handle with GitHub Desktop).

Blue August

Sep 2, 2016
Haven't had any more trouble finding stuff. I've gotten the hang of things, and from scratch I was able to set up the framework for a second encounter in about an hour. It's all placeholder text for now, and still a few PH strings in the Lamia Bandit. But all the abilities and scene outcomes are set up.

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
For odd reasons, Showdown isn't cloned automatically. My mod source code has entire Showdown removed and all dependencies on that removed as well.

Showdown was uncommented in the source. It was a 'nice try' to get a Markdown-parser into CoC. I've once tried to enable it and although I got it to compile the md-parsing didn't really work ...

Nov 9, 2015
"No application is associated with the specified file for this operation
[No debug Flash player connection request]"

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I followed the advice to the letter though I'm sure there's some moronic thing that I haven't noticed or why else wouldn't it work, right?

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015