Favourite WH40K Faction & General Discussion

What is your favourite WH40K faction?

• Total voters

Eldritch

Apr 13, 2017
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
How did I miss this thread?
@RanmaChan You're lucky Tyranids are actually my favorite.
Hive mind, venom, acid, natural armor, they transfer information from planet to planet instantly through the reclamation pools, and keep consuming and multiplying at a fast rate.
The Imperium has the gunpower to destroy an infested planet; However, if you need to destroy an entire planet to defeat an enemy, you already lost the war.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@Eldritch That's what you think Kermit you Xeno Frog! The Imperium's been fightin an kickin ass since the our mighty Emprah kicked ass and took names all across the galaxy! We ain't lettin no nosy space bug dinosaur homewreckers muscle in and expect humanity to roll over an let you have a buffet on our awesome planets!

(Loyalist Filter On)

Haha but seriously though they really are awesome adversaries, do you think its true that the Tyranids ARE actually running from something outside the galaxy? or was it just coincidence from Barabas Dantioch's sacrifice? I mean the majority of Tyranids actively avoid worlds with Necrons Tombs beneath them after all.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
@Eldritch That's what you think Kermit you Xeno Frog! The Imperium's been fightin an kickin ass since the our mighty Emprah kicked ass and took names all across the galaxy! We ain't lettin no nosy space bug dinosaur homewreckers muscle in and expect humanity to roll over an let you have a buffet on our awesome planets!

(Loyalist Filter On)

Haha but seriously though they really are awesome adversaries, do you think its true that the Tyranids ARE actually running from something outside the galaxy? or was it just coincidence from Barabas Dantioch's sacrifice? I mean the majority of Tyranids actively avoid worlds with Necrons Tombs beneath them after all.

Hmmm sounds like a big conspiracy where the writers are obviously leaving something out and plan to release at a later date to explain stuff for plot.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Considering its GW, pretty much some factions inside their office and employ are probably like that.

Eldritch

Apr 13, 2017
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
Haha but seriously though they really are awesome adversaries, do you think its true that the Tyranids ARE actually running from something outside the galaxy?
I don't think so. They avoid the Necrons because they cannot be consumed, so they have no real value for them.

And I am a proud XENO FROG.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada

I don't think that they are running from anything. They have left their own galaxy because they are searching for new food (genetic) sources, their own having run dry. Who knows how many directions their Hive Fleets have gone out in, and how many galaxies they have consumed. They avoid Necron Tomb Worlds because they know that they may potentially lose out on more biomass than they would gain. Damn, ninja'd by Eldritch, lol.

How did I miss this thread?
@RanmaChan You're lucky Tyranids are actually my favorite.
Hive mind, venom, acid, natural armor, they transfer information from planet to planet instantly through the reclamation pools, and keep consuming and multiplying at a fast rate.
The Imperium has the gunpower to destroy an infested planet; However, if you need to destroy an entire planet to defeat an enemy, you already lost the war.

Excellent, excellent! The Tyranids take second place in a comfortable lead. Now we just need a few more votes...
Yeah, once you have to sacrifice entire planetary systems to 'defeat' a foe, you are really only fighting for a Pyrrhic victory at that point.

@MilitaryAaa Why did you vote for the Imperium? What particular faction do you like the most? We need your input or unfortunately your vote won't count.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Btw whats ninja'd mean in the context of a message board?

Anyway to avoid pressing trigger buttons since i dont want to give @RanmaChan a heart attack *hehehe:smuggo::pwink wink* has anyone purchased and played Dawn of War III yet?

I will definitely purchase it regardless and play it since its still mostly favorable in reviews. I just want to control the Knights (Imperial and Eldar), and journey with the returning crew.

Eldritch

Apr 13, 2017
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
I met Warhammer during roleplay weekends with my friends, so I never payed any attention to the actual game series.

The only Warhammer I played was Dawn of War 2, but all the factions shared the same campaign, except for some dialogue changes. Honestly, I prefer Starcraft 2 when it comes to RTS.

Reactions: Ormael

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Honestly, I prefer Starcraft 2 when it comes to RTS.

Given your choice of WH race I almost sure which one SC race you main? :ghost:

Also for race that aim to grow it should one of core directives to avoid world where no biomass will be gain for whatever reason so if it happens that Necrons. Like totally concidence. After all writers couldn't make Tyranids been able blitzkrieg all other races in game universe or it would be dull of Tyranids vs rest of universe.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Btw whats ninja'd mean in the context of a message board?
When you're typing out a response and someone new quickly posts before you.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
has anyone purchased and played Dawn of War III yet?
I will definitely purchase it regardless and play it since its still mostly favorable in reviews. I just want to control the Knights (Imperial and Eldar), and journey with the returning crew.

I haven't played it yet, but I have heard that it is not that great. Apparently it has more in common with MOBA games than actual RTS games. Which makes me quite sad, because I love RTS and hate MOBA.
I don't know if I am going to get it and play it unless they fix it up and add a better campaign. Maybe a couple years down the line when it's base price lowers and Steam puts it on sale for 70-80% off.

I met Warhammer during roleplay weekends with my friends, so I never payed any attention to the actual game series.

The only Warhammer I played was Dawn of War 2, but all the factions shared the same campaign, except for some dialogue changes. Honestly, I prefer Starcraft 2 when it comes to RTS.

So @Eldritch you play Rogue Trader, or Dark Heresy? I have played both with my friends in the past and had an absolute blast.
Dawn of War 2 was not really that great an RTS. The best game in the series, in my opinion, is the first Dawn of War. Now that was a brilliant game, actually having resource gathering and base building alongside great combat.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I haven't played it yet, but I have heard that it is not that great. Apparently it has more in common with MOBA games than actual RTS games. Which makes me quite sad, because I love RTS and hate MOBA.
I don't know if I am going to get it and play it unless they fix it up and add a better campaign. Maybe a couple years down the line when it's base price lowers and Steam puts it on sale for 70-80% off.

Eagh makes me regret getting it now, I haven't even installed and played it yet. From the look at the reviews on steam it making it sound like it's similar to the very last game in the C&C Tiberium universe which was Tiberium Twilight. God how I hated that game, I loved the previous ones but they had to go and screw it all up on the very last one. Worst part of it all is that EA has ownership over the C&C series. At least the DoW series isn't owned by them.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
For me, Command and Conquer was amazing all the way through to Yuri's Revenge. After that game it was an immediate downhill slide. I am very sad that the same thing seems to be happening with the Dawn of War games.

Eldritch

Apr 13, 2017
Brazil, Rio de Janeiro
@RanmaChan I actually used pieces from a lot of different RPGs to form our own books. We liked the freedom of writing our own adventures with no choice restrictions. We pratically wrote our history as we played.

I think we used Warhammer background, Final Fantasy characters, D3D dice system, and the sheets from Vampire: the Masquerade. It was a mess, but it was fun.

Reactions: RanmaChan

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
WARNING: This post contains no smut, does contain some graphic violence, and I literally just wrote it now, in under a couple hours, so don't expect it to be very good god damn it! I was bored.
Anyways, @Endwar inspired me to write this little thing, based on the hypothetical of, who would win: The Imperial Guard vs. The Citadel. I did my own little, Imperial Navy vs. The Systems Alliance. Anyways, enjoy!

Captain Anita Yui stared in shock at what she was witnessing. Three unidentified vessels had just powered into the system, and were rapidly advancing towards the planet Elysium. The planet that it was her job to protect. With each passing second, as the ships came closer and closer, her job was getting harder and harder. It wasn't that she was incompetent, or incapable, but rather, the odds were slowly slipping out of her favor.

Her bridge crew could tell why: the unidentified ships were big. Really big. Anita and her crew had all thought of themselves as the biggest kid on the playground, until now. The SSV Aconcagua, a Dreadnought, Kilimanjaro class, was more than 800 meters in length, with a main gun running 350 meters along the length of her spine, and 78 mass accelerator cannons on each side. She was the pride of the fleet defending Elysium, a force several dozen ships strong; but now she didn't account for very much.

Two of the approaching vessels were over a kilometer in length, approximately around 1,350 meters, according to Dyllan Stronach, her senior crewman in charge of sensors and communications. Each of them were almost twice the size of the Aconcagua, and as if that wasn't bad enough, the ship trailing behind and between the two smaller vessels was over 5 kilometers long. It was the largest thing Anita and her crew had ever seen apart from the Citadel, and that was a space station.

Now, these massive behemoths were heading straight for them. They had given no warning, no transmissions of any kind indicating whether they were friend or foe. But their speed, and their heading, radiated hostility. Anita's combat instincts were telling her that they were going to attack as soon as they came within range. However, she couldn't just open fire on the off chance that she might be right, that they might be enemies. She was trained to follow specific guidelines. What if these ships belonged to a new species? What if this was first contact, like with the Turians, all over again? She could start a war if she fired. She was torn, between training and instinct. Besides, could she win against these behemoths, even if she did attack first?

It was then that a hissing static filled the command deck.

“Crewman Stronach, report! What is that noise?” She called out.

“I, think it might be... One moment Captain, I...” He trailed off, fiddling with the computer and the controls at his station. “It's, some sort of a transmission.” He said, with some disbelief. “It is coming in on all channels, on every frequency. Military, and civilian.”

“Clear it up then, patch it through! I need to hear this, now!” She replied, almost yelling at him, she realized. She needed to calm down. They were trying to communicate, which was a good sign. A very, very good sign. It was then that she noticed she was biting her nails again. Damn that old habit.

Soon the static started to clear up, and a voice could be heard. A strong voice, a commanding voice. It was speaking in a strange language that Anita thought sounded familiar. Or, at least, several flavors of familiar. There! That word, it almost sounded French, and that one there... German? For several seconds she listened with her crew as the strange words poured through the speakers. The words sounded so familiar, yet they were so twisted and distorted, blended together. Chinese, Spanish, and right there, Latin! She had studied it back in boarding school, decades ago. Did he just say, xeno? Meaning alien? Then, the man's voice stopped.

“Stronach.” She almost growled his name. “Why isn't it translating yet?”

“I don't know Captain, the computers are having a hard time with it. The program is working as fast as it can... Captain? Did, did that sound kinda familiar to you?”

“Yes, no, I mean, I... Now isn't the time for that, focus on your station, Crewman.” She glared at him.

He jumped and got back to work.“Yes mam!”

This is the moment she thought, she had to get ready for any possibility. “Crewman Banes, I want our weapons unlocked, just in case. Crewman Mitra, I want our engines hot and ready to go. Crewman Grayson, I want you to take over for Stronach on communications. Get on the horn with the rest of the fleet, I want them ready and behind me within the next three minutes. Combat formation Delta. Got that? All of you?”

With that she was greeted with a chorus of 'yes mam' and 'yes Captain'. The sight of her veteran crew quickly going about their work, their surprise forgotten, any sign of hesitation gone, filled her with hope. They were a good crew, a well trained, proven crew. They would get through this if things went... She didn't want to think about that. Not while the possibility of talking with these strange people could lead to a peaceful settlement.

“I've got it Captain!” Dyllan's voice rang out through the room. “It's been translated, and it's ready to be played back.”

“Well? What are you waiting for? On the double crewman!”

That voice filled the room again. This time though, they could understand it.

“This is Captain Erwin Ramas, of the Drachenfels. I am in command of this scouting force, in the name of the Emperor and His mighty Imperium. We have scanned your vessels, and the planet below. Know this, we have detected the presence of Xenos on both. We sill not stand idly by while they yet live. We know that you are human, our scans confirm it. Are you in danger, have you been invaded? Your ships boarded? Respond back with all haste, other explanations can wait for later. The following information from Magos Rittel will allow us to transmit in near real time through pict feed.”

“What is a 'pict feed', anyone? Did that translate correctly?” Anita called out, trying to focus on what he had said, only able to really concentrate on the last part. They could communicate further, in real time, and all the gibberish he said would be explained.

“I think he meant, through, picture, feed? Maybe, video?” Came crewman Mitra's voice, from the helm.

“Alright, good. Stronach. Follow the instructions. Set up our communications relay to properly interface and transmit with their own. I want to speak with this, 'Erwin Ramas of the Drachenfels', face to face.

While Dyllan worked away at his station, Anita wondered to herself: 'Are they really human? Their language seems to be a strange, hybrid mix of our own languages, so it could be possible, in theory...'

Then there was another crackling, hissing of static. Her communications screen turned on, covering the front view-port, and a bright green light filled the room. Before she could say anything, something started to come into focus. Green and black only, the figure was slowly emerging from the pixels.

It was a man, or more accurately, a human male. He was sitting comfortably on what looked like a large ornate throne, wearing a proud looking uniform, and covered in badges, medals, and a lot of gaudy decorations. Ghostly figures could be seen sitting, standing, and walking around him, but they weren't coming into focus. Only he was, and he was looking right at her.

“My... lady? Interesting. Nevertheless, it is good to see you are in one piece, and that your bridge has not fallen to the Xenos on board. We have not yet been able to accurately detect their numbers but we will be there soon to help. Your ships and language are foreign to us, but all lost human worlds are welcome back into the embrace of The Emperor. Once the Xenos have been purged, we can discuss all of this in more detail, Captain...?”

Thinking quickly, she responded. “Captain Anita Yui, of the SSV Aconcagua.”

“Your commanding officer, is he around anywhere?” Ramas asked, with curiosity.

“I am the one in command of this force.” Anita replied, somewhat disturbed, but she brushed it off. Before he could say anything else, she continued. “What do you mean by 'xenos', Captain Ramas, why do you think we are under attack?”

“Do you not abhor the alien, Captain Yui? Do you not kill them when able, as is mankind's right?” Asked Ramas, with confusion, and something else, in his voice. There was an edge to his tone that didn't sit right with her. Everything just seemed, off.

“Captain Ramas, why would we kill other species who we are at peace with? That live beside us and with us? Yes, there are the Batarians who-” But before she could continue, he cut her off.

“You, live with Xenos? Work alongside them? Trust them?” There was that edge to his voice again...

“Yes Captain Ramas, that is what I am trying to say, all of alien species on board are a part of my crew. The ones down on the planet either live there, or are visiting. All of the Turians, the Asari, the-”

“Heresy.” He said softly, and with great disbelief.

“I'm sorry Captain Ramas? What was that?”

“That, is heresy, Captain Yui. Heresy of the foulest sort.”

“Ramas, I don't understand. What do you mean by heresy?” Anita asked, the tone of her voice changing now. Exasperation and frustration were beginning to mount. She was trying to stay calm, to keep the diplomatic way of speaking she had been trained to use, but she could feel things spiraling out of control.

“Sacrilege, blasphemy, heresy! Don't you understand Yui, the Xenos have corrupted your minds, you are straying from the light of the God Emperor's path! You must repent now, if the Ecclesiarchy catches word of this, or Emperor forbid the Inquisition...” At first there was an anger in his voice, a righteous zeal, but with mention of this 'Inquisition' fear began to take over his words.

“You may yet be looked upon with some mercy. You have been without the Imperium and it's proper guidance for what must be a long time, perhaps even before the Crusade that He undertook Himself. If this is so, you can still be forgiven of your sins, but you must repent, and you must purge the Xenos on your ship, and on the planet.” Again, a righteous tone was entering his voice, now growing dangerous. “Or I will do it myself. Do you understand, Captain?” It was a threat, he was threatening her!

“I will not kill or 'purge' anyone or anything, Captain Ramas. These, Xenos, as you call them, are a part of my crew, or are inhabitants of Elysium. We are allied with the Turians, and the Asari. We are a part of the Council on the Citadel. I will not have anymore talk of needless murder! I want to speak with your commanding officer, Erwin.” She said angrily, not quite grasping just how far religion, hatred, and fear can take a man.

“So be it, Anita.” He said through gritted teeth. “I gave you a chance, now only the Emperor himself can have mercy on your soul. Though, I doubt it. Heretic.” With that, he ominously cut the transmission.

It was only then that Captain Anita Yui realized what she had done. She should have tried to bide for more time, to calm down and ease the tension. The call for reinforcements had already been made, but they would still be far away even now. If she could have reasoned with him, maybe-”

The ship shook, nearly knocking her off her feet. A computer console to her left shorted out, and anything not bolted down rattled.

“Status report, what was that?” She called out.

“A weapons discharge mam.” Responded crewman Grayson, looking over Stronach's shoulder at the sensors.

“Weapons, what? How? At what? I need more, come on!”

“The cruiser, SSV Cape Town, it's gone, Captain.”

'What do you mean, gone, Grayson?”

“One of the smaller ships, it fired the weapon on it's prow. I don't know what it was, but the Cape Town, it's just... it's gone.” Johnathan Grayson said in shock, sitting back down at his own station.

“At this range? How?” Anita asked, but to her crew or to herself, even she didn't know. Things really were spiraling out of control. It was her worst fear realized.

The Aconcagua shook again. Then again. The two smaller ships were firing their forward weapons batteries at the cruisers and frigates surrounding her. The larger ship, Captain Ramas' Drachenfels, was staying mercifully silent.

No, wait, it wasn't, she realized. It was charging.

With the biggest blast wave yet, something brighter than the light of the nearby sun flew past the Concagua, and the myriad cruisers and frigates around it, to strike the surface of Elysium.

Captain Anita Yui almost fell to her knees from the shock of what she was witnessing.

It wasn't that she was a coward, far from it, she was one of the highest decorated military officers in the Systems Alliance; and had fought tooth and nail to get there. She was the Captain of the Aconcagua, one of the finest ships in the navy. But the man she had just spoken to moments earlier, Erwin Ramas, had just killed over a million people by destroying that city on the surface. Millions, gone in an instant. She had to act.

“Transmit these orders to every ship. The Aconcagua will move forward, and provide focused fire from our own main cannon on the ship to the left. I want the cruisers and frigates under Captain Miller to move around and to the left. The ships under Captain Grissom will move out and to the right. The ships under Captain Leng will follow behind me, but focus fire down the center. Each squadron will take on the assigned target. We must not let them target the planet again! Use evasive maneuvers, and launch the fighters and bombers when we get in range. I want Disruptor Torpedoes out and on those ships as soon as possible! I don't know if they have shields, but if they do, those will take care of them.”

Instantly the Alliance ships moved out and onto the attack towards the brutal invaders. Following her orders to the letter, the ship on the left soon found itself the target of focused fire, while the ship on the right and the Drachenfels in the center were distracted. Soon enough the Aconcagua found itself in range, and with a blast that echoed through the ship, they fired their main gun.

The Aconcagua could fire their main gun, an accelerator cannon over 350 meters long, every two seconds, sending out twenty kilogram slugs at nearly 4 thousand kilometers per second. This they did with gusto, peppering the leftmost ship with nearly a dozen shells as soon as they came in range. Bright blue flashes filled the void, as a large bubble appeared and disappeared from around the ship with every shell fired. Soon the cruisers, then the frigates were in range, and started adding their own weight of fire. Then the two sides closed, and fighters, bombers, and interceptors were launched. Only to be met by the enemies own wave of small attack craft.

Soon the darkness of space was lit up with blinding flashes as hundreds died. With every shot the invading ships took, one of the Alliance's ship's shields would flare up in and instant, and then suddenly die. The bright waves of energy would then wash over the ship, and nothing but debris would be left. But there was hope. With a small explosion Anita thought she could feel, the shields around the leftmost ship suddenly died. Apparently it couldn't take the sustained fire. That gave her hope, until the ship turned to bring it's broadside to bear.

In an instant, a hundred macro-cannons along the length of the ship fired their own shells. It had given up defending itself with it's armored prow, instead opting to go on the offense as its shields died. Hundreds of little explosions flashed through space as the shells detonated, destroying attack craft, frigates, and cruisers alike. Several dozen of the shells impacted against Captain Miller's cruiser, the SSV Warsaw, destroying it in the blink of an eye.

It looked like the Disruptor Torpedoes were having no effect whatsoever on the shield technology the invaders were using. Only raw firepower could bring them down.

The Aconcagua continued to fire it's gun. One, two, three, four, five. In the space of ten seconds five more shells impacted against the vessel. But they needed more. It was time for them to bring their own broadside to bear. As the Aconcagua turned, it faced 78 broadside mass accelerator guns to bear. Though they weren't as powerful as the main gun, and nowhere near as accurate, the amount of damage they would do to the unshielded vessel would be enormous.

Then, before Captain Anita Yui could even order the Aconcagua to fire, a sound like nothing she had ever heard before erupted all around them. The center ship, the Drachenfels under Captain Ramas, had moved forward and rammed the Aconcagua. It was no contest. The entire crew was thrown from their stations, and Anita was thrown from her chair and onto the ground. All around her systems were going into catastrophic failure, exploding, or catching on fire. Then with another gigantic bang, and the sound of metal on metal, she was thrown up into the ceiling, and everything went dark.

When Captain Anita Yui opened her eyes, she was surprised. By a number of things. Firstly, that she was alive, and that her ship had survived. Secondly, that there were a number of unfamiliar men onboard her ship. Wearing strange armor, and carrying even stranger weapons, they were moving throughout the bridge, poking and prodding things with the long bladed bayonets on their rifles. Her eyes were watery now with the pain, but she couldn't make a sound.

Then she heard a moan, it was Dyllan, he was still alive as well. She reached out her arm towards him, only for one of the soldiers to step on it with his jackboot, breaking her wrist. As she tried to scream and cry for the man to remove his boot, he only looked at her with curiosity, mixed with contempt. Seeing where she was reaching, and having heard his moan, the man said something, and made a hand motion to one of the other soldiers. Without hesitation the soldier walked over and buried his bayonet deep into Dyllan Stronach, then pulled it out, and buried it once again, this time with a little twist.

Anita could only whimper, at Dyllan's death, the pain she felt, and her own fate. She couldn't even cry anymore, the tears wouldn't come to her eyes. Even as the man standing on her wrist said something about Xenos, and jabbed her with his own bayonet, she still couldn't make a sound.

@RanmaChan I actually used pieces from a lot of different RPGs to form our own books. We liked the freedom of writing our own adventures with no choice restrictions. We pratically wrote our history as we played.

I think we used Warhammer background, Final Fantasy characters, D3D dice system, and the sheets from Vampire: the Masquerade. It was a mess, but it was fun.

Haha, that sounds awesome, chaotic, but awesome. I have always wanted to play VtM, but I could never convince my friends to give it a try.

Funny enough, that is how the lore of Warhammer 40K came to exist, through Rogue Trader games.

Last edited:

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
WARNING: This post contains no smut, does contain some graphic violence, and I literally just wrote it now, in under a couple hours, so don't expect it to be very good god damn it! I was bored.
that was awesome, like, seriously awesome, they got their shit wrecked
damn, now i want to read more of this -.-

Last edited:

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Ahhh, nothing like some delicious Imperial purging in the name of the Emperor!:yes:

@SarenSoran Give it a go and write something, maybe your muse has something thats just aching to burst!

EDIT: Wow, everyone who voted so far really likes the Tyranids, almost expected some Chaos Worshipers or Tau loving Gue'las by now.

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
can i change my vote? now i'm on the side of the imperium of man or more precisely the imperial guard
y'know, the normal nobodys who stand inbetween the imperium and their enemies, those who hold the line and die fighting

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Unfortunately I don't know how you would go about changing the poll and it's results. If I did I would have already rigged it in favour of the Tyranids by now. :p

that was awesome, like, seriously awesome, they got their shit wrecked
damn, now i want to read more of this -.-

I am glad you liked it. Maybe next time I will write a ground battle, but I rarely feel inspired enough to write, lol.

What side would you like to see it from, if I did write a ground battle? From the point of view of the Imperium, or the Systems Alliance?

Last edited:

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
You can't change your vote.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
@RanmaChan Simply makinjg army or Zer...Tyranids minions would be enough to rig the result. But not give to your dark Tyranid instincts.

I think there was option to allow change vote afterward but I not sure if it true or if it still possible option for poster making poll.

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
What side would you like to see it from, if I did write a ground battle? From the Imperiums' point of view, or the Systems Alliance?
again from the system alliances side would be neat, i like how you brought the hopelessness of them to paper erm... so to say :)

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Ahhh, nothing like some delicious Imperial purging in the name of the Emperor!:yes:

Wow, everyone who voted so far really likes the Tyranids, almost expected some Chaos Worshipers or Tau loving Gue'las by now.

It was quite fun to write, I won't lie. Annihilating Xenos lovers is always a, blast! (sorry) The hardest part was finding information on human forces in Mass Effect. I had to scour several sites and wikis to find the names of the ships, their weapons, etc. I have to say though, I kind of feel like the ending was anti-climactic? I dunno, what do you think?

Tyranids are a great faction, but I too am actually surprised by just how popular they have been, and how many votes they have recieved. Maybe it is because I have been so vocal about my own support for them? Or maybe they really are the next favorite after the Imperium? It is starting to look that way. I was expecting a lot more Chaos votes to be honest.

again from the system alliances side would be neat, i like how you brought the hopelessness of them to paper erm... so to say :)

Remember 'hope is but the first step on the road to disappointment.'

Well if I do find the time and the inspiration to write some more I will write it from their point of view again. Should I make it so that the two sides can understand each other easier, or is it more realistic/interesting to keep a language barrier?

@Endwar you know more about Mass Effect, how do the races all talk to each other like they do? Personal translating devices? I haven't played the games in years so I have completely forgotten.

Reactions: Endwar

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Wow, just got back from a horrendous assignment, so color me surprised, that the Tau are now third in the running polls (Or is it that one person who said he/she voted on accident?).

@RanmaChan
Oh most definitely anti-climactic, yet I cant help find it fitting in a way as this is focused from Captain Yui's perspective and how she sees thing going on. Would have been nice to have an epilogue so as to have an aftermath, but its no problem for me.

Excellent writing btw, it was a beautiful scenario and the dialogue between Anita and Captain Ramas was just gold. The current Imperium represents everything that Big E wanted humanity to avoid becoming, and it would have broken his heart to see his people like this. Not sure on the stance of xenos as the Emperor just cant take the chance of xenos possibly influenced by chaos, but Iam pretty certain that with a universe like this, his diplomacy and pragmatism would win over the side of alien annihilation.

As for Mass Effect, trust me I used to nerd over ME like nuts-even going so far as to say it is the Star Trek of the gaming genre...until ME3 happened- So while Iam confident about my lore, I can clearly say that going over to WH40K fandom I now know more about 40k than ME. Anyway lets see if I can get it right. Anyone who is reading this, feel free to correct in case of lore inaccuracy. Note however I will not include ME: Andromeda as that is designed to be a new series from the ground up, so instead I will focus on everything before ME:A.

If we are going just by communications, I think this one is merely hand waved through the use of the codex and omnitools. There are no set means in how they are able to communicate each other, for the Asari they solved it by their melding when meeting a new species, as for how they can communicate each other it could go from indirect indoctrination from being in contact with the Citadel, Asari melding, magic universal translators from their omnitool, society has advanced enough that the species can communicate with the other languages, or simply hand waving it off.

I practically wrote a partially completed detail of how the primary Citadel races communicated to each other based on their view points; until I realized that not all individuals think alike, so I copied it down just in case for whatever I need it. Otherwise, you don't need to sweat the details on how they communicate to each other. This one was good enough. I reccomend these three fanfictions that are in both either in fanfiction(.)net, Spacebattles or both.
  • Psi Effect by Cap'n Chryssalid - XCOM/Mass Effect (Recommend the SpaceBattles version)
  • Mass Effect: Clash of Civilizations Eterna1Soldier - Halo/Mass Effect (Fanfiction.net)
  • Mythos Effect by Omniscent1 - Cthulhu Mythos/Mass Effect (Fanfiction.net)
These three fanfics are my personal best in terms of how the civilizations of Mass Effect communicate to each other as despite their different origins, the core of their species will shine through for every individual that are presented in these fics. The fics also go around the communication issue in the most fluent and plausible ways without feeling jarring or superfluous and worth checking out.

Hope these helped!

Last edited:

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Some of Tyranids popularity may be due to them been similar to Starcraft Zergs or... Starcraft Zerg been similar to them ^^

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
Well if I do find the time and the inspiration to write some more I will write it from their point of view again. Should I make it so that the two sides can understand each other easier, or is it more realistic/interesting to keep a language barrier?
seeing as how there's a 38 to 39 thousand year difference its unlikely that they understand each other language wise
Some of Tyranids popularity may be due to them been similar to Starcraft Zergs or... Starcraft Zerg been similar to them ^^
the tyranids were first, weren't they?!? i'm not sure, that's why i'm asking

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@SarenSoran
Actually you and many others are correct, the Starcraft franchise as you may have known owe their similarity to the Warhammer 40k franchise as their shapes and doctrines were inspired by 40k. Terrans for Imperium (heck where'd you think Emperor Mengsk and the gaudiness of an Imperium noble comes from), Eldar for the Protoss, and of course Zergs for the Tyranids. Lawsuits and pratices were radically different at the time when GWs were still aok with it. Cut to many years later, Blizzard has long since patented their properties, fighting piracy and cheaters like nobodies business.