Favourite WH40K Faction & General Discussion

What is your favourite WH40K faction?

• Total voters

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Edit: RULES:
First rule of Warhammer 40K club: There is no 7th edition.
Second rule of Warhammer 40K club: THERE IS NO 7TH EDITION.
Third rule of Warhammer 40k club: You MUST tell us why you have voted, if you vote. This helps to keep the thread alive and create more discussion. If you do not explain why, your vote will be invalidated and we will call you silly names. Like smurf, or blueberry.

Original post:

Oh jeez, I can't believe I am doing this, but my love for WH40K abounds to such an extent that I must.

For all of you who don't know what Warhammer 40,000 (WH40K) is, feel free to disregard this thread, unless you want to learn about it, in which case I say please join in. Ask any questions you want.

Oh, for the above poll:

If you picked The Imperium of Man, please let me know which one you like best:
The Space Marines
The Imperial Guard
The Cult Mechanicus
The Inquisition

And if you pick the Inquisition, please let me know what part you like best:

The Ordo Hereticus & The Sisters of Battle
The Ordo Xenos & The Deathwatch
The Ordo Malleus & The Grey Knights

Oh, and WHY did you pick what you picked? I want to know!

Last edited:

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Imperium of Man - Adepta Sororitas. Sisters of Battle.
I fell in love with the penitent engine (buzzsaws and flamethrowers, oh my) and my fanatacism and pyromania grew from there.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.
Penitent_Engine_colour.jpg

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Oh yeah, beautiful women, killing machines, and pyromania. What is not to love about the Sisters of Battle? Their backstory is especially interesting as well. Do you have a favourite Sororitas Orders Millitant?

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Order of the Sacred Rose I'd have to say, I hadn't really taken an interest in them until Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Soulstorm which introduced the Sacred Rose and they burned everything and everyone to the ground. An epic first impression.

Edit:
You haven't answered your own question yet.

Last edited:

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
I like the Order of Our Martyred Lady, mostly for their color scheme but also for their actions on Armageddon.

That is true, I haven't answered my own question yet. I was waiting to see if this thread would gather some traction first, but I suppose now is as good a time as any.

My two favourites, and nearly a tie, are the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Tyranids, but ultimately the Tyranids win out in the end.

I have always loved the idea of attaining perfection through biological means, of absorbing and transforming species. It started with the Zerg in Starcraft, and carried over. The idea of taking all the things that make something strong, or fast, or smart, and using it to create something even better, is just awesome; and the Tyranids do that. The Tyranids are, I believe, the greatest threat to the Imperium, and to the galaxy as a whole. Without life, Chaos has nothing to corrupt. Without life, the C'tan will starve and die, and the Necron will sleep for eternity. The Tyranids represent the end of the galaxy, but also the creation of new and perfect life that will continue on for as long as there are galaxies in the universe to feed off of, constantly growing stronger and in greater numbers.

Plus, they are incredibly fun to play as. Without Number annoys people to no end, and having to position and defend your forces so the synapse creatures are protected but still useful provides a great challenge. The amount of customization even the basic Termagaunt can have is astonishing, and being able to have Genestealers suddenly rush onto the battlefield from behind the enemy using Infiltration is absolutely hilarious.

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Scumbag Genestealers.
1m7j2l.jpg

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Because I don't like the Imperium the way it currently is, tau are a 6/10 for me, I don't like necrons and tyranids, (Dark) eldar are Spehs (Dark) elves -which would be okay, but I need something more, so to speak-, orks are stereotypical chaotic orcs with moar dakka... Therefore, Chaos is what's left for me to choose. In case anyone's interested, I kinda like the Lost and the Damned.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
You were more of a fan of the Imperium back in the 31st millennium?
The lost and the damned are pretty neat, but any god in particular or you just like Chaos Undivided?
Also, 6/10 for Tau?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Yes you're right. Things could have been so great...
I'm more of a Chaos Undivided person, but I like Tzeentch and Nurgle the most.
"6/10" is my way to express that tau have my approval in an average-ish way.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Heh. Never played 40k myself, but I had friends who were really into it, and read through all their lore books. Tyranids, (Chaos) Space Marines and the redshirts (Imperial Guard?) were the most interesting.

Tyranids don't have much in the way of racial lore though... But they look really cool, and accumulating bio mass is fun. A race that you can't reason with (though nobody in 40k does that anyway), evolves, adapts, and overcomes all barricades. Like a tide, they wash over everything. There's an elegant simplicity with them, and they create interesting stories for the races trying to fruitlessly halt them. Also, I remember seeing one paint job that made my jaw drop. Years later, and they are by far the most memorable, if only for that.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Yeah, the creatures that they created for the Tyranids, and the colors that they use for the different Hive Fleets are incredible. Plus the modifications you can do to the models are endless. Like I said up in my post, the Tyranids are unique in that every unit can be upgraded to perform all sorts of different roles. You can modify the units to a massive extent with these upgrades, and they give you the extra parts to do it. This results in a lot of leftover stuff you can use to do even more crazy stuff. I remember seeing one picture where a guy used six scything talons from a Hive Tyrant, changed the base for the Carnifex, and converted them into legs for it, making it a giant walking crab monster. Freaking amazing.

Oh man, I found it after typing up this post, haha.

Here is what a Carnifex is supposed to look like:

Here is what the guy did:

I like how you compare the Imperial Guard to redshirts from Star Trek, it is very, very fitting, lol.

Last edited:

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
@Rhodeo
1350139867664.gif

@Endwar
30176386.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Endwar

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
I AM A SPACE MARINE OF THE EMPEROR! AND HE HAS DECREED THAT I SPEAK IN ALL CAPS FOR THE DURATION OF THIS THREAD! FOR THE EMPRAH!!!!
*Puts on Devout Loyalist filter*

Haha anyway most definitely My favorite faction will always be the Imperium of Man (DEATH TO THE XENO AND TRAITORS!!!), as for who I would align myself then by exposure, I most definitely have to go with the Space Marines as I was introduced to Warhammer 40k a good several years ago (highschool I think) by playing the Blood Raven's Dawn of War II series, and everything just snowballed from thereafter. Wikis, novels, I read and played any good Warhammer stuff I could get, the country I live has a veeery limited stock on Warhammer 40k titles sadly.

Still though that did not stop me from being a devout servant of the Emperor and being a Emperor loving, xeno crushing, heretic smashing, traitor flattening fan of the series to this day. Hopefully to start the hobby one day.

As for the rest of the Imperial factions, I reaaally wish that I could write down Imperial Guard and the Inquisition; however my knowledge on them is very limited. Yes I have read the wikis on hero Guardsmen like Ciaphas Cain, Sebastian Yarrick, Straken, and Solar Macharius, alongside notable Inquisitors like Eisenhorn and Ravenor, but sadly their not sold here and shipping cost is very expensive. The flavor is sadly nonexistant, dont get me wrong they are badass, but with the exception of Space Marine Novels and my sole copy of the Grey Knight novel Warden of the Blade (Castellan Garran Crowe! My favorite Space Marine hero!!!) my experience in the life of the Guardsman, the Inquisition and their Ordos with the exception of the Grey Knights, the cult Mechanicus and the Sisters of Battle; I must confess still is lacking

Favorite Space Marine Chapters, will still by exposure be reserved for the Blood Ravens; however after being a follower for a good long while I have to say its very hard to pin down. I love the Blood Ravens by following the Dawn of War series and the mystery behind them as theories pretty much point them as being secret Loyalist Thousand Sons similar to the Silver Skulls and the Iron Snakes as being respectively remnants of loyalist Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion. The Thousand Sons and the Iron Warriors are definitely my favorite Traitor Legions as both legions had very tragic fates happened to their Primarch and Legion.

It is very difficult on pinning a solitary favorite for a myriad of reasons; The Lamenters are the most easiest as they are the single most ideal paragons of what the Emperor wanted his Space Marines to be, the protectors of mankind. The Grey Knights need no words. The Black Dragons for being who they are... chapter of Space Wolverines and Barakas. The Salamanders for being humanitarian (sadly no novels of them so I cant exactly fave them). The Crimson Fists! Oh man, my first Space Marine Battle Novel and the epicness of Pedro Kantor is legendary!

Phew! Nuff said. Anyway, Imperium and the Space Marines!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Candycane

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
SO Cute the pic!!! Kickass and Cute! A winning combo! Oh and just to avoid being accused of credit stealing, original artwork goes to someone named leonardgoog.

Speaking of factions btw @RanmaChan what did the Sisterhood of Our Martyred Lady do on Armageddon? Is it the Third War with the Beast of Armageddon? or the Chaos Incursion by Angron? Oh and speaking of the Tyranids (f***** super bug dinosaurs and those crystals swords!), do you think the Tyranids as of the Gathering Storm series will most likely make a beeline to the sector of what was once Cadia after Abaddon in a fit of petulant rage whereby 'if I cant have it, no one can' phasedo you think this might possibly give the Imperium and the Eldar some breathing room, similar to the gambit on the Octarius sector where Orks and Tyranids are locked in stalemate?

@Candycane
I wanna know more about the Sisters of Battle specifically the actions in Soulstorm. For me the actions of the Imperial Navy, Guardsman, and Space Marines will be the deciding factor when the time actually comes; but I would most welcome specific exploits and heroes from the Sisters of Battle that turned the tide on a grand scale aside from Lady Celestine and the one who beheaded Goge Vandire

Oh and before I forget FOR THE EMPEROR!!! *Proceeds to start firing my wrist-mounted Storm Bolter all the while squishing xenos and heretics in Tartarus Pattern Terminator all the while firing and stabbing with a "gifted" relic the Black Spear*

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
lol I wanna chime in and say something... to those of you who are smurf lovers *cough* UltraMarines *cough* Papa Smurf is going to be coming back, along with a few of the other living Primearchs. I happen to have a family member who follows 40k like it's a religion, my brother has pretty much a massive library of novels as well as quite a few of the table top armies and he told me that little tidbit of info.

As for what faction I've liked the Eldar for a while cuz space elves. >.> Filthy mon-keigh :p

I've got a few more favs though, Tau cause of their awesomely powerful ranged capability with railgun weaponry. Also like the Salamander Space Marines, there are few more but I can't think of them atm.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
@Candycane

As for the rest of the Imperial factions, I reaaally wish that I could write down Imperial Guard and the Inquisition; however my knowledge on them is very limited. Yes I have read the wikis on hero Guardsmen like Ciaphas Cain, Sebastian Yarrick, Straken, and Solar Macharius, alongside notable Inquisitors like Eisenhorn and Ravenor, but sadly their not sold here and shipping cost is very expensive. The flavor is sadly nonexistant, dont get me wrong they are badass, but with the exception of Space Marine Novels and my sole copy of the Grey Knight novel Warden of the Blade (Castellan Garran Crowe! My favorite Space Marine hero!!!) my experience in the life of the Guardsman, the Inquisition and their Ordos with the exception of the Grey Knights, the cult Mechanicus and the Sisters of Battle; I must confess still is lacking

Favorite Space Marine Chapters, will still by exposure be reserved for the Blood Ravens; however after being a follower for a good long while I have to say its very hard to pin down. I love the Blood Ravens by following the Dawn of War series and the mystery behind them as theories pretty much point them as being secret Loyalist Thousand Sons similar to the Silver Skulls and the Iron Snakes as being respectively remnants of loyalist Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion. The Thousand Sons and the Iron Warriors are definitely my favorite Traitor Legions as both legions had very tragic fates happened to their Primarch and Legion.

It is very difficult on pinning a solitary favorite for a myriad of reasons; The Lamenters are the most easiest as they are the single most ideal paragons of what the Emperor wanted his Space Marines to be, the protectors of mankind. The Grey Knights need no words. The Black Dragons for being who they are... chapter of Space Wolverines and Barakas. The Salamanders for being humanitarian (sadly no novels of them so I cant exactly fave them). The Crimson Fists! Oh man, my first Space Marine Battle Novel and the epicness of Pedro Kantor is legendary!

Phew! Nuff said. Anyway, Imperium and the Space Marines!!!

Boo! Space Marines! Hiss! Boo!
Lol
I guess I have been lucky. I have been able to find some old dusty books in libraries, but I do have a large collection of books that I have bought (and some that I illegally downloaded online. So far I am enjoying the Horus Heresy series immensely.

I always thought that the Blood Ravens were created during a later Founding (possibly by mistake) by using leftover geneseed that had been tithed by the Thousand Sons ten millennia ago, or geneseed that was even older, left over from the Legion's original founding. I don't think there was a large enough force of Thousand Sons left who stayed loyal to make a new chapter by themselves, they were all too enraged by what the Space Wolves had done, and I don't think it would have been allowed. For The Silver Skulls and the Iron Snakes I don't think they were founded by loyalist remnants or even using the old tithed geneseed of traitor legions. I have actually read Brothers of The Snake, and the Iron Snakes are far more inspired by the Ancient Greeks, with very, very little in common with the Alpha Legion. The Silver Skulls also bear no resemblance to the Iron Warriors, often using seers and ancient rituals to determine if they should fight battles at all, and avoiding ones that the omens say they will lose. Whereas the Iron Warriors always joined the fight, no matter how many casualties they would take, or how badly they would lose. The Blood Ravens meanwhile do have a lot in common with the Thousand Sons.

But I do love those Traitor Legions, the Alpha Legion especially, because in the Horus Heresy book Legion, and in others, it is revealed that the Alpha Legion has actually stayed loyal to the Emperor, despite turning against him during the Heresy, so that Chaos could ultimately be destroyed quicker, even if it meant the destruction of humanity. Unfortunately it didn't turn out the way they had hoped, obviously, as Horus didn't win and the forces of Chaos didn't turn in on themselves and destroy themselves only to be left with nothing left to corrupt. The poor Thousand Sons too though. If I had to pick a favourite Traitor Legion it would probably be them.

The Salamanders have novels about them, look up The Tome of Fire book series. It is really good. Unless you meant you never read it so you can't really comment on their chapter. In which case I understand. If you like chapters that are like the Space Wolves, look up the Carcharodons, or the Space Sharks. You won't be dissapointed.

SO Cute the pic!!! Kickass and Cute! A winning combo! Oh and just to avoid being accused of credit stealing, original artwork goes to someone named leonardgoog.

Speaking of factions btw @RanmaChan what did the Sisterhood of Our Martyred Lady do on Armageddon? Is it the Third War with the Beast of Armageddon? or the Chaos Incursion by Angron? Oh and speaking of the Tyranids (f***** super bug dinosaurs and those crystals swords!), do you think the Tyranids as of the Gathering Storm series will most likely make a beeline to the sector of what was once Cadia after Abaddon in a fit of petulant rage whereby 'if I cant have it, no one can' phasedo you think this might possibly give the Imperium and the Eldar some breathing room, similar to the gambit on the Octarius sector where Orks and Tyranids are locked in stalemate?

@Candycane
I wanna know more about the Sisters of Battle specifically the actions in Soulstorm. For me the actions of the Imperial Navy, Guardsman, and Space Marines will be the deciding factor when the time actually comes; but I would most welcome specific exploits and heroes from the Sisters of Battle that turned the tide on a grand scale aside from Lady Celestine and the one who beheaded Goge Vandire

Oh and before I forget FOR THE EMPEROR!!! *Proceeds to start firing my wrist-mounted Storm Bolter all the while squishing xenos and heretics in Tartarus Pattern Terminator all the while firing and stabbing with a "gifted" relic the Black Spear*

It would be the Third War for Armageddon. The Sisterhood of Our Martyed Lady stood firm against the Ork hordes for days, rallying the population of the besieged Hive city they were in and defending their Sanctorum against overwhelming odds. Everyone fought, even the non-combat Orders, and the population and the Ecclesiarchy were all rallied into a militia. Unfortunately they couldn't last forever, and were eventually completely destroyed by a Warboss and his Mega Armored Nobz retinue in the final hours. Despite this though the rest of the Sisters on the planet fought even harder, and continued to defend and attack several key locations across the planet with other Imperial forces.

Also new rule, we don't talk about 7th edition. Lol. It hurts my soul..

to those of you who are smurf lovers *cough* UltraMarines *cough* Papa Smurf is going to be coming back, along with a few of the other living Primearchs.
As for what faction I've liked the Eldar for a while cuz space elves. >.> Filthy mon-keigh :p

I've got a few more favs though, Tau cause of their awesomely powerful ranged capability with railgun weaponry. Also like the Salamander Space Marines, there are few more but I can't think of them atm.

New rules for this thread.
Rule number one: We don't talk about 7th edition.
Rule number two: WE. DONT. TALK. ABOUT. 7TH. EDITION. xD
Lol... Seriously, everything from the Necrons overthrowing the C'tan(wtf?), to the Blood Angels working with the Necron(WTF?), to the Tau Etherial caste suddenly becoming evil(seriously, WTF?!), to the fall of Cadia and the return of the Primarchs, we do not speak of...

Anyways! *puts back on cheerful face* The Eldar are a great faction in their own right, too bad those old knife ears are close to extinction. :p
The Tau are awesome as well. I love their weapons, tanks, and battle-suits, not just because I am a weaaboo otaku. Has anyone here played Fire Warrior? Despite a lot of faults I thought it was really great game.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Played and beat Firewarrior, I have my brother to thank for getting me into the universe I've never played the table top game but I've got several games on steam. Played and beat SpaceMarine (totally love using the jumppack and thunderhammer combo in that game, reminds me of the "HULK SMASH!") My brother has told me several stories where he went to a tournament for the table top, he's absolutely massacred opponents with his Blood Angels army, about half he said were jumppackers, he loves his close combat combos. He even told me a story about how he watched someone who was using a tau army absolutely decimate their opponent in just a few turns, them railguns when you get an awesome roll are scary.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Played and beat Firewarrior, I have my brother to thank for getting me into the universe I've never played the table top game but I've got several games on steam. Played and beat SpaceMarine (totally love using the jumppack and thunderhammer combo in that game, reminds me of the "HULK SMASH!") My brother has told me several stories where he went to a tournament for the table top, he's absolutely massacred opponents with his Blood Angels army, about half he said were jumppackers, he loves his close combat combos. He even told me a story about how he watched someone who was using a tau army absolutely decimate their opponent in just a few turns, them railguns when you get an awesome roll are scary.

Space Marine was a pretty awesome game. Using the Heavy Bolter felt really good, lots of nice dakka to it.
Blood Angels are great fun for close combat, especially when you get them into the Red Thirst or the Black Rage, I can't remember which one it is.
Tau at range are incredibly scary. You better prey for cover, shitty rolls (on their part), or a map that allows for whether conditions or night fighting, or you will be royally screwed.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Red Thirst I believe, Blood Angels basically have a vampiristic mutation to their geneseed, just like Salamanders have a mutation that makes every Space Marine in that chapter Blackskinned. Every chapter that has base genes from Primarchs had a mutation, I don't think I need to go into details about dat ;)

Yeah I think and I can't be sure but I think my bro said that within three turns that tau army destroyed 2/3 of the other army due to good rolls, can't remember what it was he said was used, I think the hammerhead hovertank?

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Red Thirst I believe, Blood Angels basically have a vampiristic mutation to their geneseed, just like Salamanders have a mutation that makes every Space Marine in that chapter Blackskinned. Every chapter that has base genes from Primarchs had a mutation, I don't think I need to go into details about dat ;)

Yeah I think and I can't be sure but I think my bro said that within three turns that tau army destroyed 2/3 of the other army due to good rolls, can't remember what it was he said was used, I think the hammerhead hovertank?

Yeah, I know about all of the genetic instabilities each of the Legions/Chapters.
It is all up to the gods of the dice. You can have a perfect army composition, use the perfect tactics, and have amazing placement/map positioning, but if you roll poorly you are doomed.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Haha reminds of a miniwargaming episode where the Imperial Knight faces against the Hierodule, and just as they finally got into melee range when clearly the perks for the Hierodule outmatches the Knight; The Emperor blessed the dices for the Knight cause despite the "Cannot Be Killed" or something of the Hierodule, the Knight one shots the Hierodule in one fell swoop of its Reaper Chainsword.

Gotta ask which one is the superior in close combat? Cause I always thought the Space Wolves being space vikings were the ones who fit the bill, but then I read the fluff and its actually the Blood Angels. I mean I know the Death Company would probably be one of the primary reasons for this, just want an opinion. Anyway aside from Commander Farsight are there actually any close ranged fighters in the Tau forces (old edition to new, retcon and all). Doesnt have to be melee, something like a shotgun or a flamethrower will suffice.

Also @RanmaChan

WE EAT TYRANIDS FOR BREAKFAST!!!
4e2c4007c29485687c4bc217df522b53.jpg

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Like I said to Candycane before, I will say to you now @Endwar

As for your question, lore wise it is hard to tell who is better at melee combat when it comes to the Space Marines. The Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and World Eaters (never forget the World Eaters and their Khorne Berserkers) are all up there as being the best. However, in the fluff when ever the Dark Angels and the Space Wolves fight alongside each other they have a one on one combat ritual with their respective champions, in remembrance of their Primarchs and the duel they fought. So Dark Angels are also up there on the list of great melee fighters, lore wise at least. But then you also have the Space Sharks, and the Flesh Tearers, so it is hard to pick one that is definitively the best at melee combat.

The Tau as a race aren't very good at melee combat, they aren't really built for it. They don't even really like fighting at close range, they find it distasteful and dishonorable. The ones that might be better built for melee combat are the Earth Caste, but they are not used as warriors, they are builders and engineers. Instead the Tau use auxiliary troops for melee combat, like the Kroot. I pity the poor Guardsmen who get into close combat with a pack of Kroot. For short range combat, the Tau like to throw in auxiliary troops like the Vespid or even use Gue'vesa, humans that have joined the Tau Empire.

By the way, I love your profile picture. Chibi Imperial Guard is awesome.

Last edited:

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@RanmaChan Thank you! Again credit of the original picture does not belong to me, its credited to someone in a previous post.

Just finished watchin some of the Spring anime and was curios enough to watch something called Re:Creators. The premise is a horrible idea (not the premise, plz read it properly) cause the idea of your fictional creations coming to the real world is just a disaster waiting to happen I mean can you imagine the Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout chasing after Super Mutants who are fighting some Zergs, where Link is fending himself from Shirou over a misunderstanding and the Power Rangers are in a robo duel with Voltron.

How is this related you might ask, cause can you just imagine what would happen with the God Emperor of Mankind showing up right before Horus dealt the blow, along all the other Xenos and Chaos Nasties popping. That is just insanity!

drae

May 18, 2016
Nid are my favorite. It can all be blamed on the original Aliens movie too, AKA take what the other races give you and make it better for yourself.