Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Wolf115

I think its more the PC and co are wounding them in ways to take the fight out of them, whose to say the champ doesnt heal them after?
True, I wouldn't fuck/bang/brown chicken brown cow someone that have fresh wounds.

Reactions: OmegaUmbra

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
To me the champions a bloody coward, the only time you get to kill the enemy is the imps and the fucked up rapey centaurs. Mama wolf had it right, kill them all that way they have no way of getting up and rejoining the fight later on.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Still, discounting clean decapitations, it is not all that easy to kill someone dead with a sword, and in most cases people take some time to bleed out, begging for their lives and calling their moms or their gods unless their lungs/windpipes get too full of blood, effectively drowning them. Portrayed or described with any degree of realism and detail, it is a hard thing to watch and is as far removed from the general tone of a game like CoC2 as you can get.

So IMO the whole situation could have had Gweyr maim or otherwise gravely injure the attackers and Sanders managing to save their lives in the nick of time, but not much else. This would have still been enough to demonstrate just how honed and hard to control the Dog Mom's killer instincts are while also having her excersice some small measure of restraint. The villagers would have still been horrified and the relatives of the 'kiddos' would have still called for blood to satisfy the blood grudge, leading to Gweyr's exile,

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
Still, discounting clean decapitations, it is not all that easy to kill someone dead with a sword, and in most cases people take some time to bleed out, begging for their lives and calling their moms or their gods unless their lungs/windpipes get too full of blood, effectively drowning them. Portrayed or described with any degree of realism and detail, it is a hard thing to watch and is as far removed from the general tone of a game like CoC2 as you can get.

True, but realism isn't needed. I don't think anybody probably wants the gory details and descriptions of infected wounds and complications. More, it feels like we're forced to play nice with characters that commit horrible acts. It's like getting our murder justice boner cock-blocked and that we're just supposed to let evil people get away with their actions. Not everybody, but take the goblin cultist and tainted witch for example. They've openly attacked and probably corrupted several people in the harvest valley and dialogue implies they may try the same in khorminos. It doesn't feel good to let them wonder around and cause problems and hurt innocent people with no repercussions. Unless a prison is added, or a stabby stabby option, it feels like we're just half-assing the whole champion role and ignoring issues.

So IMO the whole situation could have had Gweyr maim or otherwise gravely injure the attackers and Sanders managing to save their lives in the nick of time, but not much else. This would have still been enough to demonstrate just how honed and hard to control the Dog Mom's killer instincts are while also having her excersice some small measure of restraint. The villagers would have still been horrified and the relatives of the 'kiddos' would have still called for blood to satisfy the blood grudge, leading to Gweyr's exile,

Since I love to quote myself so much, I'm gonna quote an older quote of mine in quote form. End quote.

I have to say, as a tl;dr to the spoiler text below, that Gweyr did the right thing and that Sanders was wrong. And furthermore, healing those cultists would've been the absolute worse decision possible. It may have been monstrous. It may have been violent. But at the end of the day, Gweyr did what was needed and correct. If she spared them then things would only have been much, much worse.

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in and say that exiling Gweyr was not the best option or the right call, though she probably would've left anyway to pursue Tollus and Sanders just gave her no choice. Yes she slaughtered the youth of the village and treated them like grist to be milled, but they were trying to sacrifice an innocent. Gweyr's actions, while monstrous, were the best course of action. She gave them plenty of chances and warnings to stand down. By exiling her, Sanders sent a message that you can step all over Hawkethorne and they'll punish their defenders. Yes it's a bit different since they were stupid kids and not hardened bandits, but that doesn't change their actions. And by exiling Gweyr and keeping the whole thing in the closet next to that oddly placed skeleton, He set Tollus up to be able to come back in later and no one knew who he was or what he was doing. It's just speculation, but I feel if Gweyr were still in the village then Tollus might not have been able to sacrifice Calla right down the road. And even then, Gweyr was the best protection Hawkethorne had until now. I get his logic, but Sanders made a terrible call and the events of the game could have potentially been avoided, though we'll never know for sure. And if the parents of the cultists she killed really wanted revenge, then they would've done so regardless of exile. If anything, her being kicked out would've emboldened them since they know she wouldn't be there to protect her family and that she wouldn't find out for a while and give them time to flee. In short, while violent, Gweyr made the best call and Sanders let his emotions and panic cause him to make a really bad call. Those cultists were not innocent children of Hawkethorne. They made the call to kidnap an innocent girl, prepare to sacrifice her, ignore warnings from the experienced mercenary who just cut a bloody swath to their main barricade, and do their best to ensure that girls demise. Gweyr was right and did nothing wrong. Sanders was wrong and did some things wrong.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Here's a gripe which: inconsistency in training. I think that, for a long time, I complained about how training does not trigger dreams or other stuff like that, but now, it's... extremely fucked?

Training a power with River jumps time forwards two days, and spawns the player in the inn at 6 AM on the second day.

Training a power with Garth jumps time forwards 24 hours, and then, I believe, puts the PC to sleep, which I can tell because it provides the on-sleep buffs and lets the player dream, while River's doesn't.

Ivris training and Sanders training also cause dreams in this manner, but because Sanders is unavailable after 6 pm and Ivris is unavailable after 7 pm, their minimum required time for training is 38 hours and 37 hours, respectively, while the minimum time for a Garth training is 26 hours since you can have training start right before 6 am on one day, so that when you go to sleep 24 hours later, you wake up 2 hours later. The maximum is, of course, 48 hours, which is around what you'll experience if you wake up and immediately go to train.

Vivianne moves time forwards 24 hours for one of her trainings, but does not cause you to go to sleep after, so you just finish exactly 24 hours after you start and go on your way.

Jin-Jin, when training you in Lightning fist, also just moves time forwards 24 hours. No sleeping, no waking up in the Inn.

Leorah is the one of two trainers in Hawkethorne who take less than 24 hours to train a power with. When training, upon completion of the training, you spawn in the Inn, at 8 am the next morning, rather than the morning after the next morning. However, you do not sleep. This means the minimum time to train with Leorah is 13 hours, and the maximum is 24 hours.

Barney is the other trainer who takes less than 24 hours. Like Leorah, training Prestidigitation spawns you at the inn, at 8 am, but there is no time restriction on meeting him, so you can, hypothetically, have a training time of literally one minute if you begin training at 7:59. Of course, it's not always exactly 8 am, it seems to have a random time between 8 and 8:10 for all of these, but still. He has the hypothetically shortest training time of any trainer, with a minimum of one minute, and a maximum of 24 hours.

Finally, Zo. Zo is the final trainer currently in the game (to my knowledge), and also is the most unique in training, because her sessions don't timeskip either 24 hours ahead or to the next instance of 8 am, and instead you do training sessions. You unlock every power over 7 days, assuming you do the requisite training sessions, repeatedly, and each session takes only a short amount of time. Honestly, it's my favorite method of training since it's actually interactive rather than just a timeskip, but it's also so unconnected to other training methods that I might as well not have put it here. For each individual power, she takes less time than Leorah, but Barney has the undisputed shortest training time.

All of this is to say: It's annoying how some trainers jump you forwards two days, some jump you forwards exactly 24 hours, some just jump until the next 8 am instance, and there seems to be no coordination. Personally, I'm annoyed that the 8 am trainers (Leorah and Barney) don't cause you to gain the benefits of sleep, and also that the 24 hour period non-sleep trainers don't cause you to gain the benefits of sleep, but I definitely prefer them over Ivris, Sanders, and Garth, who take 24 hours and then just auto-hit the sleep button rather than taking 24 hours and giving the benefits of sleep (and access to dreams). And the worst of all of them is River, since his has the downside of being extraordinarily long that Garth, Ivris, and Sanders have, without the upside of accessing dreams and sleep perks activating.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
It gripes me that the MC can't grow taller than 8'0" with Titan's Tangy Tea or the several Mino TFs. I wanna be taller than Brienne, dammit!

Reactions: Burnerbro

Gennevie

Aug 23, 2021
Here's a gripe which: inconsistency in training. I think that, for a long time, I complained about how training does not trigger dreams or other stuff like that, but now, it's... extremely fucked?
Yes, can we please just get consistent training times? The tooltip says "use up the rest of your day" which would indicate that you're about to be jumped to the next morning. That's reasonable. You could also have the trainers in town stop their training at the usual close of business time to stop people exploiting the one minute training of Barney. Even just a 24hr time skip is reasonable, but I don't like losing two days every time I train with Garth, especially when I want two new powers and I basically just sacrifice most of a week to that.

I know time doesn't really matter in these games, you can take as long as you want to save the world and nothing really happens, but it just feels bad anyway to skip that much time.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
You can with an editor. And the game hasn't borked itself due to that yet, at least in my case.
Ye, I know. So far, with the exception of two quests, I avoided fiddling with the game via editing when not necessary.

So either adjustments to the old TFs or releasing new ones so that our characters could grow to maximum Mino height would make me super happy.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
To get this thing back on track , i think that the lantern is useless ,there are no severe debuffs to accuracy for walking around in the darkness nor any special places (some caverns / tunnels etc) that would make this item viable.
Says you! The Undermountain 'Fog of War' while not an impediment perse and given the location makes too much sense to lodge a real complaint against, is fucking annoying. Where is this lantern acquired?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Wolf115

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
Says you! The Undermountain 'Fog of War' while not an impediment perse and given the location makes too much sense to lodge a real complaint is fucking annoying. Where is this lantern acquired?
It sort of becomes useless after the player traverses all tiles in the Undermountain with it. Fog of war is lifted by then.

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016
Ye, I know. So far, with the exception of two quests, I avoided fiddling with the game via editing when not necessary.

So either adjustments to the old TFs or releasing new ones so that our characters could grow to maximum Mino height would make me super happy.
Not going to happen due to how being taller than 6’6” in most scenes is already a lot to consider for the writers. Eight feet tall is the hard cut off for TFs that make you gain height, because that’s already a fucking pain to write variants for in most scenes. Unfortunately, you’ll just have to accept you’re shorter than moo wife (or save edit.)

Lone Wolf115

Says you! The Undermountain 'Fog of War' while not an impediment perse and given the location makes too much sense to lodge a real complaint against, is fucking annoying. Where is this lantern acquired?
Explore on the same tile that the waystone is found on.
Yeah and the password is easy thankfully.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
Not going to happen due to how being taller than 6’6” in most scenes is already a lot to consider for the writers. Eight feet tall is the hard cut off for TFs that make you gain height, because that’s already a fucking pain to write variants for in most scenes. Unfortunately, you’ll just have to accept you’re shorter than moo wife (or save edit.)
So you're saying that adding as little as 20cm to the current maximum height - which is already insanely tall - would suddenly make a big difference for story content writing? Ok.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
Can you go into more detail how 8 inches added to 96 inches of height that are already there would make a big difference so I can understand better?

Last edited:

zagzig

Feb 26, 2021
Can you go into more detail how 8 inches added to 96 inches of height that are already there would make a big difference so I can understand better?
Okay, so every time the game references the champion's height, there's a range of potential responses the game can spit back depending on your height. You look down on Kasyrra|You look Kasyrra in the eye|You look up at Kasyrra. Expanding the range of potential heights means going back through every single height check and making sure they fit, or adding extra descriptions if need be.

TheShepard256

It's like the straw that broke the camel's back. The difference between x and x+1 might not be much for small units (like centimetres, inches and single pieces of straw), and it's the same for x+1 and x+2, but repeat that logic too many times and suddenly you have PCs that are so tall they physically can't fit into places they're supposed to.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Yeah I think someone like Kohaku whom is small and is built to be put into the bed, I think probably has parses for being around the same height and taller. I wouldnt know cause my character is my own height at a nice even 72inches.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
The line's got to be drawn somewhere, and in this game, it was drawn at 4' and 8'. We're sticking to the line. Otherwise, you get people wanting to make rock soup. If 8'6", why not 9'? If 9', why not 10'? And 11' is only a little bit more than that...

Also, part of the intent with Brienne is to have a character that is extremely subby but also huge and muscular. Smaller top/bigger bottom. She is a very big moo. She is not supposed to be Champ's Little Moo. There will be other moos for Champ if they want littler moos.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Yeah, also i think at this point everyone agrees women taller then you are fucking hot as hell, and being subby as fuck is a even bigger plus.

Reactions: DJ_Arashi_Rora

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
Height doesn't matter in this game, I've said it before but many scenes don't take in account for the champs height. I always play 4ft but my champ must be fucking inhumanaly strong to be able to carry a 4ft kolbold on her back.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
It’s at least a little bit immersion breaking that the champion can never reach maximum minotaur or minimum goblin height. Seems to me that this was a little bit of an oversight. But I can see the reasoning now why that probably won’t be changed anymore in the future.

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Writing interactions just gets silly above/below those lines. A lot of stuff -- like carting Lyric around -- already strains belief as it is.
Couldn't you just introduce a bag of holding to skip that particular plot snarl?

The bag Evergreen gives you is mostly useless as gear... you could just turn it into a story item and explain that it is the reason why the champ can lug around an entire armory without rupturing their spine. It's obtained resonably early in-story too.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
I found it odd that neither Kiyoko nor the Champion (especially if they're Champion of Keros.) did not have anything to say in this scene.
He was caught, so obviously nothing was lost. Hence, taking the thief's belongings does not strike me as Equivalent Exchange. Scarring his arm however is perfectly fair and valid, but the second stipulation makes this the kind of judgement that the local foxen community might chafe at.

Kiyoko and the player are conveniently in a position to correct it so that it doesn't potentially cause trouble for the Boer'alvar-Kitsune relations in the future... but they don't, which is weird.

Similarly, I confess some disappointment that neither character reacted at all to the silhouette of a Kitsune when the Faceless Blade escaped the smugglers cove, but perhaps they couldn't make it out quite as clearly as it was described to us, the players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.