Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naas

Feb 1, 2016
I'm saddened to live in a world where "melancholy" is somehow, apparently, considered a fancy word.

As a fellow sometimes-paid writer and editor, please stop. You're making us both look ridiculous, and the good points are drowning in everything else.

While I agree that the original sentence indeed needs to be touched up a bit, the idea that "melancholy" is somehow too complex or fancy a word for prose is just plain silly. It can flow perfectly well with that word.
I didn't say too fancy nor did I say too complex a word, simply that given the common usage that most people will associate with it and that particular piece of writing that it is the wrong word to use for the intended context.

Everblight

Sep 8, 2022
I've already made the bug report for this... but I'm going to complain about it here for two reasons. First I just want more eyes on this so this doesn't sit on the back burner for months before it finally gets patched. Second the fact that months after the combat overhaul there is a combat bug for one of your companions is crazy to me.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, not only does Atugia's perk "font of well" still mention resolve. It's still uses Max resolve for its math. I figured this out because if it was properly using Max HP instead it would be healing her every turn for double what it currently does. So this bug is currently a large Nerf for her.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
I've already made the bug report for this... but I'm going to complain about it here for two reasons. First I just want more eyes on this so this doesn't sit on the back burner for months before it finally gets patched. Second the fact that months after the combat overhaul there is a combat bug for one of your companions is crazy to me.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, not only does Atugia's perk "font of well" still mention resolve. It's still uses Max resolve for its math. I figured this out because if it was properly using Max HP instead it would be healing her every turn for double what it currently does. So this bug is currently a large Nerf for her.
No, no it doesn't use the max resolve. Even if it did, that returns maxHP now.
I nerfed the amount she heals per turn because it was literally absurd. That was an intentional change. She's still one of the best tanks in the game. She might even be the best tank in the game. She's incredibly good. So yes, it is a large nerf for her.
I just apparently either missed the text change or, because of my explanation of HP being "an abstraction of one's willingness to continue fighting", felt it fine enough conceptually to remain.

CoCEnjoyer

Aug 20, 2022
KERROOOOOOS!!!! He could've at least TOLD the player that freeing your family would trap them in the orb without you for 10+ years, but nooooo! He had to keep it a secret until it was too late! And here I was considering giving my precious soul to him after all! Stupid Trickster :mad: I wouldn't have minded a throwaway line where it's like "you lived with floof fam for 10 years and were very happy" but I guess he's JUST GOTTA BE LIKE THAT! I'll keep my soul to myself, tyvm :mad: you have BLUNDERED my good sir, and I will be keeping my soul to MYSELF.

EDIT: After thinking it through more rationally it'd also be acceptable if there was some explanation as to why you living with your family as they're being extracted isn't possible, then I could've at least visited them one last time to give them an ample, teary-eyed warning before going through with it, cause you living with your fam for those 10 years would remove a lot of the emotional impact the scene otherwise has. What makes me mad is the UNNECESSARY deception. If he wanted my soul then he wouldn't want to aggravate the character too much because it'd have to be freely given, he's not a demon. He just pulled the wool over my eyes for no good reason. Oh well, maybe he didn't see that coming either. In fact that's probably the explanation. God dammit what a waste of a post this was.
Off topic but where do you find all that content at? I had no idea this god of mischief or whatever existed. I thought I did pretty much everything there is to do right now.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
1) That comment is over two years old.
2) The place to find the God Of All Floofs is, shockingly, the Floofhaus. If you've never encountered him, you've clearly missed a lot of content because aside from his own interactions he's instrumental in freeing Kiyoko (after which point she becomes a party member with all that implies) and gated behind that is a separate story for Kinu. Also, the first (and currently only, but more are on the way) soulbinding option in the game comes from him.

Last edited:

Everblight

Sep 8, 2022
No, no it doesn't use the max resolve. Even if it did, that returns maxHP now.
I nerfed the amount she heals per turn because it was literally absurd. That was an intentional change. She's still one of the best tanks in the game. She might even be the best tank in the game. She's incredibly good. So yes, it is a large nerf for her.
I just apparently either missed the text change or, because of my explanation of HP being "an abstraction of one's willingness to continue fighting", felt it fine enough conceptually to remain.
Thank you for the clarification on this. Now that I know this is a design choice I would like to add my 2 cents on this. I agree that in early game 10% max HP is a bit absurd. However I feel that as it is now it's falling off pretty hard for middle and late game (I estimating of my math for late game, seeing as we can only get to level 6 for now). The damage mid game enemies can output is a bit to high for the current perk to hold up to and I feel that will only get worse at higher levels. It's what 5% max HP right now? (That what it looks like form my math, but I might be off on that.) I would recommend upping it to about 7% if you fell 10% is too high.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
Thank you for the clarification on this. Now that I know this is a design choice I would like to add my 2 cents on this. I agree that in early game 10% max HP is a bit absurd. However I feel that as it is now it's falling off pretty hard for middle and late game (I estimating of my math for late game, seeing as we can only get to level 6 for now). The damage mid game enemies can output is a bit to high for the current perk to hold up to and I feel that will only get worse at higher levels. It's what 5% max HP right now? (That what it looks like form my math, but I might be off on that.) I would recommend upping it to about 7% if you fell 10% is too high.
Uhhh... it is 10%

Everblight

Sep 8, 2022
Uhhh... it is 10%
Well then there is a bug. On my save of the last public build, she is level 5 with a max HP of 329. She will heal off the perk for 16 HP but 10% of 329 is 32.9 so 32 rounded down. Also at level 4 it was only healing for 14 HP. Window download if that helps.

Last edited:

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Uhhh... it is 10%
Well then there is a bug. On my save of the last public build, she is level 5 with a max HP of 329. She will heal off the perk for 16 HP but 10% of 329 is 32.9 so 32 rounded down. Also at level 4 it was only healing for 14 HP. Window download if that helps.
I can confirm, my Atugia's got 371 hp and she healed 18 hp at the start of a turn, not 37. This should definitely be in the bug report section, but Everblight already did make the bug report, just misidentifying the source of the problem.
1663343394159.png

Reactions: Everblight

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
Oh, I was just looking at an older version of the code when I saw 10% (I haven't done any coding on my main PC in a few months and made the change when I was on my laptop so I just haven't updated my local version). I thought it'd been higher before and I adjusted it down to 10%. My apologies. I could maybe consider 7% or something, but it's the kind of thing I'm liable to spend a bunch of time fiddling with and fine tuning and just haven't had a moment to fuck with. That said, any amount of passive healing is a lot when dealing with someone who can put up constant shields and the like the way Tui can, so it's going to need that sort of fine attention. Still, not a bug, just misremembered what exactly I did.

Reactions: Everblight

Acharehnus

Jun 3, 2022
2) The place to find the God Of All Floofs is, shockingly, the Floofhaus. If you've never encountered him, you've clearly missed a lot of content because aside from his own interactions he's instrumental in freeing Kiyoko (after which point she becomes a party member with all that implies) and gated behind that is a separate story for Kinu. Also, the first (and currently only, but more are on the way) soulbinding option in the game comes from him.
Like 50%+ of your posts are quoting posts 2 years and older

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Like 50%+ of your posts are quoting posts 2 years and older
There's a difference between referencing an old post because a current question has already been answered by it (almost always by links) and directly responding to an old post and expecting an answer.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I mean, Garde has been working on LumiaQuest for something like a year now and it's getting close to being done so...

We also know that Astrida soulbinding is gated behind Tychris, which Savin has been doing some work on between other projects but it hasn't been a priority compared to the main story and RynQuest. It's still coming sooner rather than later, certainly well in advance of the end of the main plot.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
I mean, Garde has been working on LumiaQuest for something like a year now and it's getting close to being done so...
Really close. Lumia's already under review.

The whole shebang I believe. Lumiaquest. Lumian keep. Lumia as an NPC. A bunch of valkyries...

Reactions: SmithEK

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Well, I ask because I don't know what the exact production order is, or what stuff is getting prioritised by who. So far, all I really know about the main thing I'm anticipating is "It's huge and therefore won't be available for a while yet", so just makin' wild stabs in the dark.
Really close. Lumia's already under review.

The whole shebang I believe. Lumiaquest. Lumian keep. Lumia as an NPC. A bunch of valkyries...
Well, that's neat. I don't know if my current character is gonna have much use for Lumian worship, though I'm definitely curious to see more Gods make a bid.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Well, I ask because I don't know what the exact production order is, or what stuff is getting prioritised by who. So far, all I really know about the main thing I'm anticipating is "It's huge and therefore won't be available for a while yet", so just makin' wild stabs in the dark.
That's why we're telling you! :)

Equivocate

Apr 24, 2022
The CoC2 Bug Reports sub-forum.

There are bugs still from April, May and June of 2021 that haven't even been addressed (as in a reply), let alone fixed.

There is such a lack of communication going on from the CoC2 dev team currently with regards to bug reports that it seriously makes the in-game message of "Editing by YOU" look like it's irony.

It almost seems like a bug has to quite literally be game-breaking for it to be addressed. Otherwise, it seems like the onus is on the player who reported the bug to then check the bug after each patch, instead of it being the devs' responsibility (assuming they want to keep their game bug free).

Would hope there would be more communication / feedback, and bug reports would be checked from the oldest to the newest (and more frequently at that, to avoid such a backlog), instead of always having it be the newest first. Otherwise the cycle of having bug reports slip through the cracks will always persist.

AStrangeGeek

Jul 14, 2022

There are bugs still from April, May and June of 2021 that haven't even been addressed (as in a reply), let alone fixed.

There is such a lack of communication going on from the CoC2 dev team currently with regards to bug reports that it seriously makes the in-game message of "Editing by YOU" look like it's irony.

It almost seems like a bug has to quite literally be game-breaking for it to be addressed. Otherwise, it seems like the onus is on the player who reported the bug to then check the bug after each patch, instead of it being the devs' responsibility (assuming they want to keep their game bug free).

Would hope there would be more communication / feedback, and bug reports would be checked from the oldest to the newest (and more frequently at that, to avoid such a backlog), instead of always having it be the newest first. Otherwise the cycle of having bug reports slip through the cracks will always persist.
While I feel that the lack of attention to older more minor bugs is because they're trying to focus on new content (the lack of which often garners more complaints than lack of bugfixes), it would be nice to have a little more feedback on bugs that are being addressed. The team working on TiTS is superb in this regard; they not only reply to a bug thread with a brief "fixed in next release" post, but actually move the thread to a specific "Fixed" subforum.

EDIT: I stand partially corrected. There is a "Fixed" subforum here, but it's fallen into disuse. Looks like it hasn't been used since June.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emerald

MintyChip

Jul 12, 2020
Dunno if this has been brought up before, but I'd really like a way to acquire the High Ground quest without having to bring Gweyr back. I can't be the only one uncomfortable with bring someone with her history to come live in the nursery where my kids are. The High Ground then constantly referencing a scene whose characters include an insane child murder doesn't really help matters.

HK-47

May 17, 2017

Yeah, that’s definitely a noticeable issue. Just to give an example from my own experience, there are several bugs/errors with the demon transformatives that have been reported through multiple threads by myself and others since their release, and they’re still showing the same issues after every single patch.

Equivocate

Apr 24, 2022
While I feel that the lack of attention to older more minor bugs is because they're trying to focus on new content (the lack of which often garners more complaints than lack of bugfixes), it would be nice to have a little more feedback on bugs that are being addressed. The team working on TiTS is superb in this regard; they not only reply to a bug thread with a brief "fixed in next release" post, but actually move the thread to a specific "Fixed" subforum.

EDIT: I stand partially corrected. There is a "Fixed" subforum here, but it's fallen into disuse. Looks like it hasn't been used since June.
Hmm, thanks for the reply, although I do somewhat disagree with one of your points, which I'll mention below.

So, not sure what the implication was with regards to "the lack of attention to older more minor bugs".
If that's to say that all of the older bug reports are about "minor bugs", then I disagree, because that seems like a sweeping generalization. There is definitely at least one that should fit in the "major bug" category - which I won't link here, because I'd like to motivate the devs to actually have a look at the older bug reports.
If that's not supposed be a generalization that all the older bug reports are "minor bugs", then the statement itself still seems pretty dismissive of the older bug reports, as though the devs are justified in ignoring the older bug reports, and should continue to do so. Which I also disagree with, because that essentially seems to imply that one must report bugs without any expectations of it ever being addressed, let alone fixed, and the basis for that is that the devs just didn't go through the bug reports for a few months (for whatever reason). Kind of seems like a slap in the face to players' / users' efforts to report potential issues they find, and trying to improve the game (something you'd think the devs would also want).

Adding more content to the game is important, but that's not to say that bug reports can completely be ignored. Without fixing the potential bugs in the new content, it would possibly not be accessible (or at least one aspect from it might possibly not be accessible), no? So, if it's fine to fix the bugs for newer content, then why is it not okay to fix the bugs that might possibly appear in older content?
This doesn't seem like it would be an issue if the devs were better at fixing the bugs in a more timely manner.

Oh, and also, the Fixed sub-forum for CoC2 was last used in July 2022, not in June.

Would hope the devs, or more specifically Savin, the project's lead, would reply to my original post - as that could possibly help with some clarity on the matter.
As it stands right now, it just seems as though this is something they'd rather not address, in any capacity.

CoCEnjoyer

Aug 20, 2022
Thanks for the info, didn’t know the post was that old haha.

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
That's why we're telling you! :)
Thanks for that. Good to stay informed.

Back to griping for a moment tho, I was briefly reminded earlier about what Tollus' endgame was after replaying from an earlier save with another character, and I still have issues with this guy and how petty his motives are. I mean on the face of it, it's fine, but combine that with limited appearances and a general lack of personality and he feels very flat and dull as an antagonist.

And I mean, I would be okay with that if he was just a one-shot quest boss, or if summoning Kasyrra led to him dying or being turned into a demon because then at least this would make sense. But he's technically the secondary main antagonist of the story behind Kasyrra herself, and a personal antagonist to Cait because he sacrificed her sister to summon Kas and Quinn because the latter used to be in his cult. It just sucks that this guy is so utterly lame.

CboyC95

Jul 14, 2021
In all honesty, I used to follow this game with each update, but I stopped after they removed Berwyn as a party member as he was one of my favorite companions. You'd think someone else would be willing to step up and take over writing duties.

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
For some reason I got stuck on a way to open this comment. Guess because it's a continuation of the sentiments I've expressed already, but in any case.

Anyway, I suppose I'm trying to say that as far as Alissa goes, she's a horrible person, an abuser of multiple kinds, she hurt our darling Etheryn and reduced her to a beaten-dog toy, so when I say I enjoy fighting her I don't mean I actually like her, and while I'm not exactly rooting for a murder sim level of gore when we finally track her down, I'm also not gonna shed any tears if the only options to deal with her are Kill Her, Let Ryn Kill or Jail Her. She's more than earned it.

But, that's what makes her a well-written antagonist. She's a horrible person, but also a horrible person that most people probably understand. Not just as a sexual abuser, but also an abusive older sibling who picks on their little brothers and sisters, that one idiot at work who's protected from consequences and has a job as a manager just because their mom or dad has a controlling stake in the company and doesn't want to let them be fired, that rich bitch who thinks being born to wealth and priviledge makes her better than you, any smug racist or -ist someone could meet on the street. These things make her more plausible as an existing person and, combined with her lengthy rapsheet, adds catharsis to beating her up. I'm sure finally fighting her will be a lot of fun.

She's also got a lot more leeway than Tollus in that while she's a bad guy, she's not the bad guy; in fact, Kasyrra is quite open about the fact she sees Alissa as nothing but a toy, one she's no longer interested in playing with. That means she doesn't need to make frequent appearances or be anything more than Etheryn's end goal, so it's not necessary for her to have a complex personality or goals.

Tollus doesn't have that leeway because like I said, he is a major antagonist, one with a personal connection to two of our party members. And yet his reasons for founding (?) the cult and working to undermine the baroness... is because he thinks living through the Godswar makes him entitled to a title and riches? (I think that's what he wants. I can't go look it up again at the moment.) This is so laughable that even the characters seem kinda bitter about how lame his motives are.

I think it's fixable though. The writers just need to give him more of a personality than "Mwahahahaha I'm so evil!" next time we see him, offer some insight on how he recruits people into the cult, maybe let us see what sorts of things he's up to besides being Kasyrra's willing servant. The cult itself is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.