Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
I have the same problem building mage characters. it feels like the best way to do it is to start out as a thief and then respec into charmer or mage after you've acquired the skills and stats but I understand that's not a great solution when you're roleplaying.

(whoa when did I become well known)
Well I don't know about white mage but I didn't have that much trouble with a black mage and its because of Summon Flame Spirit.

Reactions: Stupid_Goo

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
Building for resolve damage feels like its more trouble than its worth compared to building for health damage. And the main I can find is the skills don't feel as good but maybe thats because my resolve champion is still in the early game but not having a good at-will power for resolve hurts.

I never once built for it. High presence seems to be all you need and the normal resolve attack in battle works fine.

I just never used it with the sole exception being the Elthara fight (since that one is excessively hard to beat with HP damage).

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
I don't know if its me but it feels like i'm getting less EC when beating enemy's with resolve damage. Wait no its just i'm still in early areas thats why never mind.

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
New recent gripe:

Recently noticed that splitting your offensive stats doesn't help you at all in the long run because somehow you end up doing less overall damage than focusing entirely on one or the other.
For instance, Thief/Rogue + Mage = Spellblade - so strength & willpower right?
Splitting between both made my spells do less damage altogether than focusing on Strength.
What?

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
I tried a resolve damage build and on one hand its not as bad as I was thing it was. But on the other hand the companions that would work with this build are limited.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Splitting between both made my spells do less damage altogether than focusing on Strength.
What?
In addition to what Savin said, it may be the equipment. Like, in terms of doing magic damage, actual dedicated catalysts (whether it be two one-handed catalysts or one two-handed catalyst) will be more effective than split equipment for spells. Since spellpower impacts the power of your spells, having less of it than a focused spell build.

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
New recent gripe:

Recently noticed that splitting your offensive stats doesn't help you at all in the long run because somehow you end up doing less overall damage than focusing entirely on one or the other.
For instance, Thief/Rogue + Mage = Spellblade - so strength & willpower right?
What?

As Savin states, a spellblade build basically requires you to go with Strength/Willpower/Cunning to do good damage.

Even then you'll run into problems when you want to fit all abilities you'd like to use. Or even some that fit thematically. Oh, and remember that you need a weapon that is both a good melee weapon and still a catalyst... which means you'll need either the spiraled blade or Elthara's Scythe (the latter is a bit better as long as you use two Lucky Strikes with it).

Good, speelblade themed abilties to consider are:

At-Will:

Blue Flame Blade, a stance that adds half your spellpower as magic damage to melee. You need to hand over your soul to Keros to get it though.

Psychic Blast, learnable from the trainer. Raw damage is nice and it's ranged. Doesn't benefit from Twist the Knife though.

Recharge:

Power Wave, which is stealable from Nakano and Kitsune Spellblade, a ranged storm spell that also counts as a melee attack and therefore benefits from Twist the Knife. The kicker? The CD is only 1 turn. This is the only recharge ability that counts as both a melee ability as well as a spell.

Acid Flask, stealable from Siorcanna Shaman. Deals damage based on Cunning and sunders armor for three turns, 2 turn CD. Perfect to keep up Twist the Knife, and increase melee damage due to sunder.

Cleave. Because AoE is nice to have, though you might have trouble with fitting it into this build. 2 turn CD.

Enchounter:

Deadly Shadow. AoE and gets you obscurement for three turns, keeping your threat low. You'll basically always want to start with this.

Smite Evil. Counts as both melee as well as a spell in the same way as Power Wave does. Does nice damage and restores resolve.

Ultimate:

Assassinate. Because it's either this or Kitsunetsuki, the latter of which requires you to use a one-handed weapon to use... which is a no-no at the moment since both the spiraled blade and scythe are two-handed.

Reactions: DJ_Arashi_Rora

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Blue Flame Blade, a stance that adds half your spellpower as magic damage to melee. You need to hand over your soul to Keros to get it though.
Charge Weapon, a White Mage power, has the same damage bonus but as holy rather than fire. Also, it deals aoe damage on activation, but doesn't inflict burn on a crit.

GEESE

Sep 27, 2018
I always feel like buff powers are a waste, spend three rounds layering them on before you can start dishing out damage, assuming you dont get stunned out of them. meanwhile another class could just end the fight in three rounds with stacked fireballs or eviscerate or what have you.

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
I always feel like buff powers are a waste, spend three rounds layering them on before you can start dishing out damage, assuming you dont get stunned out of them. meanwhile another class could just end the fight in three rounds with stacked fireballs or eviscerate or what have you.
I blame it on how easy it is to get knocked down or stunned. The Byvernia battle is the worst case and it doesn't help with how many aoe attacks she has. The only two times I beat her I got lucky.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
I wouldn't call buffs, debuffs, and stances a waist of time. But they are all very situational. To the point that even in those situations, you'd be better off going pure damage. The only time I've used stances more than a couple of times to experiment is with mirror stance. And that's only to learn skills. I've only used buffs and debuffs when fighting that frost giant, Sigrune I think is her name, when half her level. And that was mostly because I forgot to swap Cait's set from witch to priestess. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so easy to be stunned and knocked out of the stance. Why spend a turn using a stance when I can just use bull rush or cleave? Especially since I can get knocked out of the stance and have to either give up using it, or spend another turn re-entering it.

Reactions: Kesil

Ireyon

May 14, 2018

Personally I would like it if we just had a stance slot that automatically activated at the start of a fight. Maybe nerf some of the stances in exchange.

DJ_Arashi_Rora

Jul 19, 2017
I wouldn't call buffs, debuffs, and stances a waist of time. But they are all very situational. To the point that even in those situations, you'd be better off going pure damage. The only time I've used stances more than a couple of times to experiment is with mirror stance. And that's only to learn skills. I've only used buffs and debuffs when fighting that frost giant, Sigrune I think is her name, when half her level. And that was mostly because I forgot to swap Cait's set from witch to priestess. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so easy to be stunned and knocked out of the stance. Why spend a turn using a stance when I can just use bull rush or cleave? Especially since I can get knocked out of the stance and have to either give up using it, or spend another turn re-entering it.
That makes them a waste of time almost by definition.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021

A waste of time implies they have no benefit or utility. They have that. It's just unbalanced and therefore not optimal. But to say they're a waste of time ignores the positives stances have. I like the idea of stances getting a slot for themselves and automatically activating at the start of a fight, but they don't need a nerf. The stances themselves are fine, it's just the mechanics of being so easily knocked out and taking a turn to reenter make them very situational for bosses and required encounters we know of beforehand.

Reactions: Violyn and Kesil

Somebody Else

Nov 12, 2018
Kohaku's select stock.

The alchemy system exists because lots of people found the randomized transformations of its predecessors annoying, and there was lots of save scumming as a result. This improvement was completely ignored for Kohaku. Generally her regular selection isn't too bad, needing only a few days to find the item you want, but if you have the audacity to want a fluffy scarf, you'd better be prepared to visit every single day for several months, or save scum like crazy. It's tedious and annoying, and amounts to several items effectively not existing in a typical play through.

On the other hand though, there have been lots of improvements since I've played last. Dark mode and the sterility/infertility consumables lasting until removed through a different consumable are very welcome.

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
This will all probably be added, but I would like if sub Arona had more option when it comes to fucking the player. Feels kind of bad when most of her vaginal content is locked behind her dom route. And that one scene is pregnancy exclusive(top tier tho) Understandable somewhat. Still, I do kind of hope that her sub content does not just become focused on players with dicks. I know baseless worries, but still something.

Undecided

Feb 16, 2021
Kohaku's select stock.

The alchemy system exists because lots of people found the randomized transformations of its predecessors annoying, and there was lots of save scumming as a result. This improvement was completely ignored for Kohaku. Generally her regular selection isn't too bad, needing only a few days to find the item you want, but if you have the audacity to want a fluffy scarf, you'd better be prepared to visit every single day for several months, or save scum like crazy. It's tedious and annoying, and amounts to several items effectively not existing in a typical play through.
Yeah, I agree with this gripe.

I'd say that it could possibly be overcome by including a "I'm looking for: xyz" in a talk scene with her. That way the next day you show up you'd be guaranteed those items, and it'd only take a day to clear.
The caveat would be that you would never be able to see her full stock at one time (which makes sense). Looking for all the consumables she can randomly have? Then say you're looking for consumables, the next day you pitch up and she'd have all those previously RNG based consumables. Same with weapons etc etc.

I'd think that would take the irritation out of having to save scum or potentially miss out on something due to unfortunate RNG. It'd also make some sense from a lore perspective because she is a traveling merchant, so a day in this games world is not that insane for her to acquire the stock you're looking for (seeing as Gwyneth can have a massive renovation to the Nursery done in a single 24 hour period).

Additionally it could be handwaved (from an ingame continuity / lore perspective) to state that she won't give you her other stock / allow you to view her other stock (as in any weapons if you said you're looking for consumables) because she went to the trouble of getting you the stuff you asked for, so you'll only be viewing / purchasing what you asked for (everyone else in the Kitsune Den would presumably have access to all of her stock, just the PC who specifically asked for something will get the limited selection) - you'd then have to request other stuff (such as weapons) for her to show them to you the next day.

Last edited:

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
Cait's Witch set having nothing to do with witchery was very disappointing.
Why is it called her Witch set? That doesn't make sense and it doesn't make sense that she gets it from Viviane when it would make more sense getting the set from Brother Sanders.

flying_moustache

Aug 30, 2015

Recently I have started playing Tales of Androgyny and although it's combat system is not exactly perfect, I really enjoy how it implements stances into combat.

You start in a neutral stance that gives you options to start almost any action. Many actions not only do damage to an opponent, but also transition you to a different stance. Sometimes you want to do a weaker attack, or none at all to position yourself for other actions, sometimes you want to perform a powerful attack but in exchange make yourself vulnerable with a bad stance.

There's way, way more to ToA's combat, to the point where it's just overload imo, but at least in terms of stances I think it shows that there is more potential to that mechanic than we currently see in CoC2.

I am not saying to make CoC2's combat like ToA's but maybe some inspiration is to be had? How about coupling stances to attacks? Maybe give bonuses to attack damage or buff effects if you transition from a specific stance to another?

Reactions: coldmonkey

cinaedus

Mar 16, 2021
might parrot this in "content I'd like to see added" but I'm mildly miffed there isn't more content for Quin! I like his personality a LOT but he feels in some ways the least developed of the companions. I also tend to favor non-tease combat since I'm a nerd who likes casting spells etc, so I also wish he had more utility in game beyond seduction... maybe another set of armor like Brint etc.

speaking of armor sets, Berwyn also only has the one as far as I know, which is a shame since he actively talks about working on magic (summoning flame elementals etc) and has multiple existing routes you can take his personality. I know a lot of the recent content has skewed towards women and dickgirls because that's what the majority of players enjoy, but it is sad that some characters I actively like haven't had new content in a while...

(this isn't that much of a gripe by the way, if anything it's just me going "wah you made these boys too likable, write more" lol)

Reactions: valkyr42 and SH60

SH60

Jun 8, 2021
speaking of armor sets, Berwyn also only has the one as far as I know, which is a shame since he actively talks about working on magic (summoning flame elementals etc) and has multiple existing routes you can take his personality.
Same It would be cool if Berwyn had a different armor set if he's sub or dom.

Reactions: cinaedus
Status
Not open for further replies.