Why do heterosexual men dislike quintillus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arch99

Dec 24, 2019
That's what I was saying earlier - I bet OP just assumed that since he's queer and some of his friends are queer and like Quin, everyone who complains about him on here (as I have been known to) must be a straight guy!!

or maybe sometimes queer people don't like weird mind raping assholes.

C

CMGuest

As a hetero male, it's not that I hate him. On scale, I don't give him a lot of thought because his sex content doesn't interest me, and he doesn't suit my combat needs enough for me to have him in my party much.

The extent that he bothers me is down to him being so passive in what is evidently supposed to be his own character arc. And by passive I mean that it feels like we had to drag him into each step of it, whether it's even talking about the cult, joining the party at all, or - most recently - changing his combat style to better reflect his roots rather than simply relying on the cult's magics. The guy can't even be bothered to wear something other than the cultist getup around town to make people stop assuming he's an active member of the cult. To my memory, aside from leaving the cult, each step he's taken has been him dragging his feet until the PC made some grand gesture to show how much they wanted him to do something.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it seems like we, rather than he, are the driving force of his character arc, which is just frustrating.

Duraiken

Dec 4, 2022
Hi. First post, but I've been following the CoC franchise and TiTS for a long time, just kept putting off joining the forums. Not really sure why, I was just content to look for the longest while I guess.

First I want to quantify my peferences in games like CoC, as it's side-adjacent I guess? I'm a straight male, but while I don't have much interest in male-to-male content (Futa from either end doesn't bother me, m/m just doesn't anything for me,) I don't consider that the main reason I don't use Quint much. In RPGs of any sort, I don't use strategy much, preferring a more warrior type playstyle. I like story and grinding in RPGs, but I don't have much of a head for strategy, so stealth and magic and charm based playstyles just aren't something I adapt to well. Quint started as a charm-based character to my understanding, and I honestly didn't even know there was a way of changing his playstyle yet.

As such, with so many interesting characters to choose from, I usually left Quint by the wayside because he just doesn't into my usual gameplay style, and I'm honestly not sure how to adapt to using him. So I don't bother. With some characters, it's their story that grabs me, like Ryn, so I try to barrel through combat with her to get to her content in spite of not quite being sure how to use her. Her being being cute looking and acting character definitely helps. Her hawk helps some there too, as far as combat goes.

With some, it's because they very much fit my playstyle, like Arona and Brint / Brienne. There's at least one, Atuga, who's story I'm interested in exploring but I never quite sat down for a playthrough with her, finding her character to be tricky as far as playstyle goes, beyond maxing out everyone's levels. But I'm both uninterested in Quint's story and I find he just doesn't fit my playstyle. So he languishes in town when I play CoC2. Though, if I'm honest... what I'm seeing in this thread about how reacts to the other characters and his content in general makes me feel like I'm not missing much I'd be interested in.

Last edited:

JakeFromStateFarm

Jan 15, 2016
The main reason I don't like him is because his companion talks give me the impression that he doesn't respect any of the female companions, instead viewing them as little more than potential sexual conquests. That kind of attitude is a major repellant for me, both sexually and non-sexually.
this, very much this. hes a two dimensional character with no real depth to his development.

HK-47

May 17, 2017
Or maybe sometimes queer people don't like weird mind raping assholes.

Yeah, I’d say that’s pretty resoundingly clear based on how this thread has gone .

Reactions: Tainted-Alice
T

Thcpeach

I'm a bit sad that some people are so mean and have this weird vibe of puritanism going about it , but yeah, my friends are all queer and they all like Quin, and tumblr is filled with queer and female self insert things with him, and most of the negative comments i saw were about things i mostly hear straight men say about gay people, and the favorite characters of those people also seemed to be very stereotypical women or feminine, so it made sense to me.

I find it odd because i understand men or masculine people not being someones type or just not finding him alluring and bad for you gameplay , thats normal; it's just that the hatred towards him seemed disproportionally large in comparison to other characters who do more morally wrong things and are worse in many aspects,

The game in itself is the sort that i would think attracts people who like moral ambiguity in their stories , being that if you play the game in a normal difficulty mode, it's almost impossible not to be raped at the start by some random mob. Or the game constantly gives you the option to abuse, murder, and hurt people

Yes, it gives you the option to not take them, which is how i normally play, but they are there, and i like them there, i like being given a choice. This is a game with dark themes as well as sexual ones, and a lot of the characters say mysonogistic stuff and are very sexually promiscuous or pushy, including other companions, so why him in particular? A criticism of the whole game makes sense, you can take so many evil dispositions in the game and a lot of dark stuff happens, so it seems odd that people who are so loudly vocal about their disgust of these themes in a character would play the game to begin with,

It's the cognitive dissonance of it that has me so confused

So I'm coming from the standpoint that there must be something else, something about all of his personality traits taken together that causes certain people to despise him.

I am grateful to those who took the time and honestly shared their thoughts with me! and for those who also like him! i read all your comments and thought about all you said! I do understand why some people might not find him appealling, his story does drag on a bit and you have to do a lot of the legwork to get him to a positive place and get closer.

I wont answer this thread anymore, thank you.

MarcoPolo121

Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Welp, guess I've put it off long enough. But apart from everything else people have said, one thing I want to add to the mix is that like I've said many times before, we have so many companions to pick, one of whom was added (as a companion) at the end of October this year, and with so many of them and only two free slots for companions, it's a buyer's market and he just doesn't have enough going for him on that front.

Etheryn is a top tier character for me right now because she has so much going on, from personal development to her relationship with the Champion, that she really feels like the most multi-layered companion available to us. It helps that despite being a dickgirl, all her content centres around her butt and the player fucking it; I think she's the big reason I like assplay now.

Just below her are Brienne, sub!Arona and Kiyoko (in no order). The former two hit my sweet tooth for amazons with tough outsides and soft gooey centres, and both have great use of pregnancy and lactation content which is wonderful; the latter loses some points for being kinda cold and aloof towards everything to the point that outside of interacting with other Kitsune she seems to be in a bubble at times and literally was at first, but within that bubble she combines all the fun of pregnancy kink and more involved parenthood than just "Babies in the back of the inn lol" like most offspring get, and Kinu is the perfect Daddy's little girl archetype. Plus there's at least some interesting stuff involving the Old Country and the culture clash that comes from the Kitsune's interactions with the rest of Savarra.

And so on, with a "Good but not great" tier for Azzy and Tui (Also soft-hearted musclegirls but there's just too much overlap between them and Brienne/Sub!Rona and none of my other kinks really come into play, at least they have heartfelt loveydovey interactions too) and Brint (poor guy is just not at all what I'm into sexually, but his carefree personality and best bro vibe make him worth keeping sometimes, and I do love how he breeds a Champ with a cunt), then a "I don't like or dislike it that much" tier for Cait (Cait was a fav of mine back in the early days but being around for so long has given me ample time to get really sick of her, but even with that she's cute and fun, is a good friend, has a decently complex character and content block and at least isn't too insecure to let me fuck her ass), Agni (sex scenes got kind of old, and for some reason a lot of extant companions don't have comments about her which again makes her feel disconnected, also her class is a bit weird, but I do like her backstory and personality at least) and companion Viv (literally just her NPC sex scenes and content with her house being stationary now, I was expecting a lot more) and then at the bottom, Berwyn and Quinn who just weren't that interesting to me ever.

But if you asked me if Berwyn was a better companion than Quinn, the answer would definitely be yes. Berwyn had a better personality, a better class and powerset, a neater costume and at least a more compelling backstory. Sure "Femboy with an elephant trunk between his legs" still isn't my thing, but he had all that going for him. Quinn just felt gangly and directionless. I still haven't checked how to get his new set because it just doesn't feel at all like a priority. Apart from the bit in Winter Wolf where you're on the ship and need to be sneaky and he helps you avoid strikes, I've never had a moment while playing this where I thought "Boy I bet Quinn would be an ideal party member for this situation" over another. Frankly, he just doesn't stand out to me in any meaningful way.

CuriousBlackCat

Aug 28, 2015
I am grateful to those who took the time and honestly shared their thoughts with me! and for those who also like him! i read all your comments and thought about all you said! I do understand why some people might not find him appealling, his story does drag on a bit and you have to do a lot of the legwork to get him to a positive place and get closer.
Not a problem at all, but I need to reiterate something that I touched on when I gave you my side of the story earlier.

When asking these kinds of questions that deal with another person's personal tastes (because seriously, people can not like what you like, that's just how it be), how you phrase the question is EXTREMELY important so that you get a better atmosphere and engagement in return.

First of all, you titled the thread with a question that already makes a statement and was immediately confrontational, almost like you're calling out someone for a fight. I was honestly about to just skip over the thread since I've had more than enough of "straight men don't like so and so and such and such because sexism/homophobia/transphobia/racism/privilege" headlines all over the media when I just want a well written show/book/game to watch/read/play with well written characters and not to be lectured by social ills I'm already well aware of and doing my best in my corner of the world to do something about. So you could have chosen better words and phrasing to get more people to stop by and check out your question, and certainly, leaving out gender and sexual preferences would have helped with that, immensely. Something like, "I'd like to ask something about your view on Quintillus" or something along those lines would work, friendlier vibes mean that people would be more invested in answering and expanding their point of view, instead of just saying their 2c and peacing out to prove you and your bias wrong or mistaken.

Secondly, remember that people on the internet are, for the most part, strangers, I don't know you or where you come from so I personally will not make assumptions about you or expect you to know stuff about me. Neither should you. What you wrote there should have been on that first post, it laid out where you came to that conclusion, what community you frequent, and what said community is saying there. That does a great deal to inform someone wishing to answer your questions about other people's view on Quintillus as a character and companion, because chances are that what is being said and how it's being said on one side might be different compared to other communities of the same game. Like I've been on F95 and a number of /hgg/ threads on a few image boards and I've seen what they sometimes say about the game and its characters and well, let's just that if I had let all that inform me on the views of everyone on this forum and colour my interactions with them...I'd prolly be banned for life. So you could have mentioned all that and then asked, "So what is your view on this?" something neutral and non-judgemental would legitimately give more thoughtful answers. It's only because I saw a few posters give nuanced answers that I decided to post since I felt like my answer wouldn't be lost in a thread that could have become something much worse.

Furthermore, I feel as though I've seen several posts on this particular topic being made in other threads, like the "What content" or "Your gripes" threads, though they're probs out-dated due to a Quin's companion expansion, but you might find more answers to your question that way with other points not mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

JakeFromStateFarm

Jan 15, 2016
2 Year Necro. Don't do that.
This is absolutely false. We removed the elf boy because he was a two-scene wonder that was clogging up the encounter table for things that people actually wanted. Normally we wouldn't have let something that barebones in the game, but Hugs was in one of his moods back then and we were trying to help him get back on his feet.
i know im necroposting, but i had a thought. what if instead of having only two options, that being remove him or have sex with him, we have the option to invite him to our camp? that way it removes clutter from an already content heavy area, sort of how the fairy boy we help is no longer in the forest, and it lets people ignore him without accidentally pressing the wrong button? i do like the occasional scene with him, but im playing a good guy and it feels bad doing the get rid of him scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.