Why do a lot of people dislike the kitsune so much?

Cerneu

Aug 19, 2019
Okay? And I was quoting the Wikipedia page. Also if this mode of thinking is that much of a cause of values dissonance, should it have been put into something with an audience that, I assume, is predominantly made up of westerners?
That's such a weird question. Are you implying that westerners need to be constantly sheltered from experiencing a bit of values dissonance?
Just because it's something that exists irl doesn't mean it needs to exist in the game too.
Why not?

slime-o-verse

Oct 6, 2021
That's such a weird question. Are you implying that westerners need to be constantly sheltered from experiencing a bit of values dissonance?
No, I'm saying that if it's something that would make the kitsune look unfavorable or annoy players ─ as it clearly has, based on a lot of these replies ─ then maybe it shouldn't have been included so that it wouldn't have negatively impacted the players' view of them. Experiencing values dissonance isn't inherently a bad thing, far from it. But if the writer isn't careful about how they go about doing it, you wind up with something that has a very divisive and polarizing effect on the audience. It doesn't help that the kitsune's particular take on this attitude isn't delved into or explored at all, and without the player really understanding anything about it aside from the fact that it's apparently a widespread attitude, it comes across as less a cultural mindset and more as a convenient excuse for their inaction. This is especially true if players don't have any prior knowledge of this particular bit of japanese culture, which the game kind of assumes they do.
Given how nothing has been and likely won't be done with this concept, in practice it feels more like the writers just took a convenient piece of japanese society and used it as an excuse for railroading. Like a "This is how i planned for them to be and you're not allowed to have any effect on anything. They don't want you to do so because culture reasons and therefore you can't do anything" kind of mindset. And in terms of practicality, an attitude where nobody tries to change anything and the player is forced to go along with it seems ill-fitting for a game which has players making choices and ostensibly affecting the world and the people around them. It's understandable that players would be frustrated when in a game where they can make different choices, there's one area and one people that railroad them.

Resawar

Sep 21, 2018
Discussion is going to dumb places again, and it's the same old stuff. We need data, so you got a problem? Give both the name of the character and what they said wholesale in a quote. It should be that easy to prove what your problems with the Foxs are if you just spit back what they said, you can even use it to prove something.

Like did you know in the main content_KitsuneDen there is only 90 instances of the word "outsider" and only one in the content_Companion for Kiyoko that is not involved in something related to Etheryn? There is only five outsiders in the content_Dungeon and only three of them are from Kitsunes, looking around you get called an outsider at least once or twice per place minimum.

How many of you have played Morrowind? I swear in every town you get 50 N'wahs called at you minnimum, even if you are a Dunmer they don't care you aren't from Vardenfell so fuck off. You can work to get some people to like the Great Houses to like you or the Morag tong but every Dunmer rando is still throwing a N'wah at you.

Reactions: Jstar

Gothamson

Apr 13, 2018
Am I seriously the only person who just dips in to talk with one of the vixens every couple months? Not to derail the discussion to much but, I never really considered the Fox Den much more than another town. I forgot about Harvest Vallet's settlements quickly after them.

Pretty sure the only reason I'll stick around Khor'Mhinos is the sheer amount of content that appeals to me there.

Reactions: Zeus101

Yeppers34

Nov 28, 2022
I did find it disappointing what happened to Kinus character. It felt like when she was still in the amulet I was playing the roll of her father but then the moment she gets out it stopped feeling like that. The interactions came off as kind of awkward to no fault of the players. I also found it pointless with the while inari/hime thing like maybe she was intended to be a party member and they just decided against it for some reason

Ace Hangman

Sep 16, 2021
I did find it disappointing what happened to Kinus character. It felt like when she was still in the amulet I was playing the roll of her father but then the moment she gets out it stopped feeling like that.
Or maybe that's exactly what being the father to a teenage girl is supposed to feel like. Like you're left wondering, 'Did I miss some part in her life where something changed?' Only in this instance... you definitely know you did.

Reactions: Alliebutt

Yeppers34

Nov 28, 2022
Or maybe that's exactly what being the father to a teenage girl is supposed to feel like. Like you're left wondering, 'Did I miss some part in her life where something changed?' Only in this instance... you definitely know you did.
Yeah you got a point there I just wish the more time you spent with her the better your relationship with her gets like with Inari kinu it always feels robotic like she's only spending time with you cause she's trying to be nice, while with hime it's out of obligation and feels fake.

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
How many of you have played Morrowind? I swear in every town you get 50 N'wahs called at you minnimum, even if you are a Dunmer they don't care you aren't from Vardenfell so fuck off. You can work to get some people to like the Great Houses to like you or the Morag tong but every Dunmer rando is still throwing a N'wah at you.
Yeah but to be fair, you can save the game, blow em up, then reload in Morrowind. No such luck in COC2, I'm afraid.

Last edited: