What are your gripes/criticism of TiTs?

ChromaTaphore

Aug 6, 2018
Septaphorae
This is going to be incredibly controversial, but I think the game is too focused on NPCs. Every update, there's a whole slew of new NPCs, or updates to NPCs, and maybe one or two items if you're lucky. I know that most people are in the game for the NPCs, but I wish there was a bit more focus on weapons and transformatives and other items, for the ~40% of people playing the game for things aside from non-player characters.

Reactions: criticAlls and Keet

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
The source code hasn't been updated in time with a public release since March or April of last year. Sometimes it doesn't get pushed at all.
Apparently it's because a year's passed and they still haven't re-automated a git push after changing the build system.

Also I liked the nonlinearity offered by CoC a little more, despite the greater ability for narrative with this approach.

Reactions: Nitan

Jaybee

Nov 25, 2019
I feel like the game is generally just very unkind to subby steeles. sex scenes where steele decides to get fucked feel like they have a 50/50 chance of turning rough and dominant even if they follow a victory. most of the doms are mean from the get-go or become mean once steele has given initial consent.
I get that a lot of people are into rough sex but its hard not to get the impression that the player is getting punished for being anything but a top - just because I want steele to get fucked doesn't mean I want them to get abused, ya feel? at least not every time. BDSM malpractice aside, playing a subby steele can just get straight up boring some times. I can only read the same "steele is held down and fucked, it should probably be painful but feels good, and then left alone, leaking cum, until they collect their gear" scenes so many times before the quality of writing is no longer enough to make it interesting. if I see the phrase "treating you like his/her personal onahole" one more time I think my brain might just slide out my ears.

i'd really like some softer domme content, kind of like the quadommes are when steele has low oil addiction. it made me real sad that they start out being all slow and complimentary but then turn to assholes as steele submits.
it's the same thing with ardia - she starts out lovely and kind and comforting, she's all sweet talk and praise and "I love you", and once steele is hooked she turns them into objectified cumdump. like damn. fuck me for actively pursuing the nice characters, I guess.

(the game does have an opposite of this in Xotchi, which is kinda cool)

Last edited:

Corneel

Dec 24, 2019
@Jaybee I haven't tried Ardia (yet), but have you tried the other Dzaan Domme, Luca (on Canadia station)? She might be more up your alley (though she can also use you as her cumdump, it's not so objectifying). Xanthe (in Gildenmere on Myrellion) might also interest you.

And while Akane's storyline is anything but soft with some heavy Sadism, the after session scene is more soft and she seems to care for the PC (a bit like Xotchi). Also, there's some fine loot to be had.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
I feel like the game is generally just very unkind to subby steeles. sex scenes where steele decides to get fucked feel like they have a 50/50 chance of turning rough and dominant even if they follow a victory. most of the doms are mean from the get-go or become mean once steele has given initial consent. I get that a lot of people are into rough sex but its hard not to get the impression that the player is getting punished for being anything but a top - just because I want steele to get fucked doesn't mean I want them to get abused, ya feel? at least not every time.
I think that's less an actual desired result and more amateur writers trying to do their first dom character and ending up at "dumb wanker who's way too rough" like all their forebearers did. Writing a good dom character is tricky.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
That's something I noticed as I unlocked several bad ends during the last days. Most of them used "I punish you", "I drug you", "Be amazed at my genitals" or a mixture of all of these premises as the main ways to subdue Steele. Characters like Vark ended up being a tremendous mixed bag, and the Forgehound felt like Kelt 2.0 to me.

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
the Forgehound felt like Kelt 2.0 to me.
Mission accomplished? You guys seem to think that the authors are bad for not catering to you when that was literally the intent of the writing. "Dumb wanker who's way too rough" is a fetish too, lol. Literally shaking my head at some of these posts for missing the point.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I don't think authors are bad for not catering to me (especially as that rarely happens XD), and I certainly am not one for kinkshaming. Plus I like the time-honoured tradition of bad ends showcasing kinks you rarely see in the main game. For example, I liked to see korgonne growth during the bad end that can be triggered during The Siege of the Korg’ii Hold when Steele has female bits. And I'm not even a fan of korgonnes or sizeplay...

Now, I am not one for reading the GDocs and I don't follow every forum project, so I have no idea what x author is aiming to when content is written. Perhaps reading all those bad ends in the space of a few days gave me that impression, but there were some that struck me as following those issues I typed about.

Last edited:
Reactions: superrainbow

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
It's one of those "well my intent was for the villain to be an evil dick so of course I had him kick puppies and try to rape someone" types of situations. Sure, some people are perfectly okay hating the old puppy-beating rapist standby (and not everybody has to be particularly memorable, small parts can have bit players) but it'll be tough to find anyone who'll appreciate one of your stock characters reciting stock lines. It's an area where the inexperienced doing it the only way they can think of and the experienced doing it the easiest way they can think of overlap.

Reactions: superrainbow

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
Speak for yourselves, if every character from here on out was a domme that treated my PC like disposable garbage I'd be ecstatic.

Jaybee

Nov 25, 2019
Speak for yourselves, if every character from here on out was a domme that treated my PC like disposable garbage I'd be ecstatic.
We are speaking for ourselves, that's the point
and it's possible to have both

I think that's less an actual desired result and more amateur writers trying to do their first dom character and ending up at "dumb wanker who's way too rough" like all their forebearers did. Writing a good dom character is tricky.
yeah I got that impression too. there's a lot of 50 shades of grey "I beat my wife against her wishes but there is leather in my vicinity so that makes it BDSM, don't kinkshame" type logic. god I hate R. L. James. that is unrelated.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
yeah I got that impression too. there's a lot of 50 shades of grey "I beat my wife against her wishes but there is leather in my vicinity so that makes it BDSM, don't kinkshame" type logic.

This is completely unfair lol. Nobody here was inspired by that book. Also there are no scenes where the PC gets beaten without their consent, as far as I'm aware.

That said, there could be more soft focus content with dom NPCs, aftercare and nice petplay etc. The writers do tend to underestimate the bit where the character pinning and reaming the shit out of the player mentions or shows they care about them as well. There's two main problems with delivering it, at least from my perspective:

* When you're writing a hostile NPCs you're basically writing a rapist, and it's difficult to invest a rapist with much empathy. It's all cartoonish and played-for-fun of course but still, it's an enemy, and at the end they are going to be leaving you dripping in the dirt. That's how those encounters are. Just one of many reasons why combat encounters are the least enjoyable thing to produce for TiTS.

* More generally, once you're past the part where the PC has cummed you the writer have also shot your wad and you're really looking to tie things up and move on; you've probably got two or three other sex scenes to produce before you can call this character done. Unless you're really invested in the character, the bit where you snuggle and eskimo kiss and pillow talk is surplus to requirements, you don't have the time or energy.

We're also all guys, so are incapable of emotional honesty and vulnerability. Sorry.

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
We are speaking for ourselves, that's the point
Sure, some people are perfectly okay hating the old puppy-beating rapist standby (and not everybody has to be particularly memorable, small parts can have bit players) but it'll be tough to find anyone who'll appreciate one of your stock characters reciting stock lines.
This is not speaking for yourself, this is just pretending to know more than you actually do. I don't really have any problem with wanting less-dickheaded doms, I've written a couple myself albeit not for TiTS, but saying "oh yeah nobody likes this stuff save for some" is just bollocks. Rough, domineering sex is very popular.
Not that I disagree with all of it but come on.

Corneel

Dec 24, 2019
That's what all the people trying to play doms say, too, so we must be doing something in the middle ground :V
That does not follow at all. It could also be the case that content is not really up to expectations or relatively monotonous when your into D/s content, regardless of whether you like to play a sub or a dom. A balance between dom and sub content means nothing if neither is up to expectations.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
This is not speaking for yourself, this is just pretending to know more than you actually do. I don't really have any problem with wanting less-dickheaded doms, I've written a couple myself albeit not for TiTS, but saying "oh yeah nobody likes this stuff save for some" is just bollocks. Rough, domineering sex is very popular.
Not that I disagree with all of it but come on.
There's a big difference between saying "no one likes this stuff" and "this is the easiest flavor of it to write". The idea is that the volume of it has less to do with no one wanting anything but wanker doms and more to do with wankers being simple to churn out en masse to the point where there are stock phrases for them in the game.

Reactions: criticAlls

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016
There's a big difference between saying "no one likes this stuff" and "this is the easiest flavor of it to write". The idea is that the volume of it has less to do with no one wanting anything but wanker doms and more to do with wankers being simple to churn out en masse to the point where there are stock phrases for them in the game.
If you really, truly think that authors that write for this game write characters because they are easy to write and not because they think the character is hot then you have obviously never tried to create anything. Go ahead and write a 30k word character for TiTS, unpaid, out of "necessity" instead of passion and see how far you get. What an asinine point of view.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
If you think people won't write endless amounts of utterly cliche tripe for free - especially when it's trashy erotica - you might not have ever seen sites like fanfiction.net.

The passion may be there but the creativity isn't.

Or I suppose I could also point to the entire Japanese light novel industry. It's not a coincidence that the easiest stuff is also the most prolific stuff no matter where you're looking.

Reactions: criticAlls

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
Hmm?

The point there was that erotica is an area especially prone to people churning out giant loads of clumsily-used words. It was never a question of their passion, it was a question of how difficult it is to make something shallow and cliche vs. how comparatively tough it is to write nuance. As far as dom characters go the wankers are the peanut butter sandwiches: everyone with a mind to can make one so there'll be a lot of them not necessarily because everyone wants one but more practically because everyone can manage to build one.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
This discussion is devolving into "Futa Discourse 2.0".
By which I mean, yeah, obviously some kinks (rough doms, dickgirls, furries, etc.) have more content in the game than others (gentle doms, "pure" females, etc.), bc more peeps in the community like it, so have more writers.

Can we agree that it's a shame for those who like the rarer kinks and move on ?

(also, cool kids use ao3 these days. There's no ads on this site, and it is fan-run)

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
I really wish there was someone that can heal you on: New Texas, Uveto, Zheng Shi.

I am slightly boggled by the fact that neither Tavros, New Texas or Uveto don't have a doctor you can access.

Reactions: ShySquare

mrttao

Aug 31, 2015
This is not speaking for yourself
The only time someone is not speaking for themselves is when they explicitly say "on behalf of all men/gays/jews/blacks/whatever I must say" or "everyone agrees that..."

By default any sentence that does not include an explicit "I speak for everyone" statement is speaking for only yourself. And Jaybee even went a step further and included the totally unnecessary qualifiers of
I feel like
i'd really like
So they are explicitly stating they are only speaking for themselves