What are your gripes/criticism of TiTs?

Synthomatic

Jun 13, 2016
Well, it's not like you can actually have a utopia in as yet developing empire. The most dystopic ends are always going to be pushed out to the edges of the ever expanding borders until there is no where left to expand into. That expansion, the elevation of species and development of their worlds is naturally going to produce haves and have-nots, and that inequality is where dystopic situations will always develop. The government can't be everywhere at once, heck, the corporations can't be everywhere at once, the black void moves with the rushes, they have a super powerful AI that runs their entire organisation and he is ridiculously good at calculating probabilities. These negative niches suck, but wtf can anyone do about them whilst there are still places in the galaxy that they can fill? The core worlds are a lot better off than the border worlds not from lack of caring or sinister planning but basic economics. Even Star Trek, for all its utopian bullshit still has war, disease, exploitation, racism, sexism, slavery, murder, etc. in abundance for the same reason. There's no galaxy-wide empire that has a non-corrupt police force patrolling every nook and cranny nor a benevolent government capable of humanely serving its populace at all times.

Utopia's are ridiculous, they're predicated on absolute control, they're a pipe dream of science fiction, a literary tool to argue philosophy. There never has been nor will there ever be a utopian society. The best you can hope for is the least amount of dystopia in your... Opia.

The government and corporations in TiTS are doing the majority of the opressing? Its outright said that Xenogen likes to scoop up whole alien populations to use as lab rats and sex slaves. This is a fake world with fake economics where everything is under the control of the writers, so actually nothing HAS to be any kind of way at all because it's not real. Are you seriously going to argue that TiTS has to be realistic? In a game with FTL gates, titty lizards and WW1 ant girls? There are no economic pressures in this game creating circumstances. And the game says several times that the core is also full of slavery, Carter runs a massive ring of permenant-indentured-servent brothels as do the Black Void.

I'm pretty sure slavery and sex trafficking are still around in the modern day, so does that mean you consider real life to be dystopian? If you judge everything by its worst aspects, then pretty much every setting not aimed at young kids is crappy. As such, I believe that in order for the term 'dystopia' to have any meaning, there has to be limits on what qualifies a setting as dystopian beyond "the worst aspects are pretty bad"; IMO it's that such aspects must apply to the majority of the population, which is part of my argument above that TiTS as a whole isn't truly dystopian.

The circumstances of how nice life is for the 'haves' are irrelevant because they don't exist in-game, just as lines in the codex. The only stuff we actually see is an endless parade of horror, which can be hard to read about in a sex game

Reactions: ShySquare

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Well if that the sort of thing you want to argue you can argue it with someone else, this type of discussion bores the pants off of me.

More like bores the pants back on you amirite? :smuggo:

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
I believe one's view of what a dystopia and utopia is is very likely based on your frame of reference. In the original story the concept of Utopia came from, there was slavery. Not just in the fringes, no, there were literally two slaves in every house, and they included criminals and people taken from other countries. Anyone who came to the island of Utopia without having a passport given by Utopia is deported, sex before marriage leads to being forced to be celibate for life, and if you come back to Utopia a second time without a passport or if you have sex with someone else after marriage, you get enslaved. In addition, atheists were shunned, not sent away but largely argued against by everyone else there. It is unknown whether the writer, Thomas More, actually believes Utopia to be good or bad, or which aspects he actually liked, but regardless, the original Utopia was filled with flaws and issues.

The point is, from the perspective of many, this society would be extremely oppressive. Perhaps even to the point of dystopia. So what about the TiTS setting? Well, it is somewhat hard to argue about that, considering there are many different societies and governments which can form their own laws, along with the UGC being a major space government and the corporations being their own miniature space governments (due to how much power and reach they have).

But we can look at what we do have/know to talk about it: Entire races and cultures are exploited and oppressed (like that one race which the gallotians pretty much instantly tried to oppress into the ground because they were afraid of having competition for being the dick sucking race), and even aside from that, many people get forced into debt slavery where their owners then do several things to drive them much further in-debt to forcefully keep them theirs. Like how Reaha was apparently getting pumped with an aphrodisiac, which got her addicted and apparently cost enough that she couldn't work off her debt until after the player buys her and helps her work the addiction. Another example is, I believe, one character who was orphaned as a very young child. She was brought into a Snuglee orphanage (that corporation being the same one as the plantation on M'henga), and once she reached adulthood, they tried to force her into becoming a slave at a Snuglee workplace, because they could then enact the cycle of debtbuilding on her to keep her there, but instead she escaped, became a mercenary, and then paid them off for the debt she'd accrued as an orphan at their orphanage so they couldn't legally chase her down and recapture her.

I would argue that, to call the universe of TiTS a dystopia, you'd have to personally define a dystopia. In addition, you'd need to look at it from a reference frame. Utopias and dystopias are part of the same coin. Reaha and the character who's name I forgot were kept as slaves, and any society with slavery will almost certainly appear dystopian and oppressive to the majority of those slaves, for pretty obvious reasons. For those at the top, people like Beth or the owners of Snuglee, it's very likely the opposite case, as they get luxuries and more money than anyone could hope to use. For those at the top, the society where they get to remain at the top is their Utopia.

Also, aside from that. There's certain case-by-case planets where they may be judged separately. New Texas is a utopia for those who want the Treatment, who enjoy the sexuality of the place. But the thing is, The Treatment is illegal everywhere else for a reason. Despite how they were raised in this society, many of them were likely largely different people before the treatment came along and completely messed up their heads. They were effectively brainwashed into being one of the perfect citizens of this country. Reaha straight up had to leave the planet to avoid being forced to take a life-altering drug, because that was a requirement of its citizens. So, a utopia for those who like it, a dystopia for those who don't.

TheShepard256

I would argue that, to call the universe of TiTS a dystopia, you'd have to personally define a dystopia. In addition, you'd need to look at it from a reference frame.
This is likely where the disagreement between Synthomatic and I is coming from; their view of what a dystopia is is much more broad than mine, so they think TiTS is dystopian where I don't.
This is a fake world with fake economics where everything is under the control of the writers, so actually nothing HAS to be any kind of way at all because it's not real. Are you seriously going to argue that TiTS has to be realistic? In a game with FTL gates, titty lizards and WW1 ant girls?
Having realistic elements makes a setting more believable and engaging to the audience. Frankly, I wouldn't enjoy TiTS nearly as much if it weren't quite realistic in many respects.
And the game says several times that the core is also full of slavery, Carter runs a massive ring of permenant-indentured-servent brothels as do the Black Void.
Those things do exist, but they're not legal and mostly restricted to the criminal underworld like they are in real life. I'm pretty sure Carver's only getting by through exploiting legal loopholes and using her influence/money to hide all the actually illegal stuff she's doing (like buying slaves off the Black Void) from the authorities.
The circumstances of how nice life is for the 'haves' are irrelevant because they don't exist in-game, just as lines in the codex. The only stuff we actually see is an endless parade of horror, which can be hard to read about in a sex game
Which parts of the game are you paying attention to? Because there are definitely a lot of 'haves' in the game, including the main protagonist and a good chunk of the major NPCs. To wit (spoilered because of its length):
Captain Steele is quite literally the heir to one of the very megacorps that society is built upon, and there's little stopping them from throwing around their influence, combat skills and/or money to help people in need.

Anno had a cushy job doing what she loved (Warp Gate research) at Akkadi, and only left when it became clear her superiors weren't going to listen to either her expertise or experience when she said her team wasn't ready to test its discoveries. Afterwards, instead of going back to her rich, societally elite parents, she decides to make her living on the convention circuit. I doubt she would have done either of those if she thought she couldn't afford to.

Her sister Syri also grew up with a privileged lifestyle but rejected it entirely and refuses to go back. Despite that and being medically discharged as a result of Anno's experiments (she was the only known survivor aside from maybe Valden), she's still quite clearly not a 'have-not', and she'd be in a much better position if she actually utilised her true potential.

Kaede is by no means rich or otherwise well-off. She made the choice to be independent knowing that it'd be more dangerous for her both physically and financially. Yet despite her relatively low income, she's still able to afford essentials (e.g. food, her ship's operating expenses, Sterilex), buy gifts for her girlfriend, pay child support for her daughter* and chip away at her debt over Talon Rogue. The fact that she jokes about having to join Steele's crew if she gets a few bad months also indicates that even if things go poorly, it's still not an instant Bad End for her.
*My head-canon is that she doesn't earn enough to legally have to, but does so anyways because she loves Kayla.

Fisianna is, like Kaede, an independent in what she does and, like Syri, isn't on good terms with her rich parents and can't rely on them for support. Despite this, she's well-off enough to live comfortably on Tavros with enough disposable income to work on her own AI in her spare time, and that can't be cheap.
These aren't the only ones I could list, but they're personal favourites of mine and they're popular enough that even casual fans should be aware of their existence.

Synthomatic

Jun 13, 2016
Being bored and telling someone they're boring aren't mutually exclusive.

I didn't start this conversation, I just replied to the thread and then Le Capitalism Defence Brigade piled in to inform me that actually I was wrong and stupid to find parts of the game depressing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@TheShepard256 we have very different definitions of realism. And again, it doesn't matter what the 'in fiction' reasons are, because what it all ads up to is a pretty depressing game world.
I dont get why you guys feel the need to defend an imaginary galactic federation? Its fiction, there's nothing there that wasn't the creation of a writer, and it should be able to be criticized and examined without people yelling NOOO DONT BE MEAN ABOUT MY HORNY WANK WORLD

Last edited:

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
I didn't start this conversation...
No, you joined a discussion - you know, that thing where people share varying viewpoints and beliefs - and suddenly cried "It's all fake anyway, what the fuck are we doing here?!" as soon as people dared to share a viewpoint that disagreed with yours.

Not a good way to join a community.

By the way, disagreeing with someone isn't criticism. You must spend a lot of time on the pitty pot if you think it is.

TrustworthyTraitor

Aug 16, 2020
There are currently no events related to Estallia's departure (Mhen'ga specifically) , there is also no piercings vendor and no space battles that yield any unique loot(unless i skipped something).

Reactions: Keet and Kesil

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
There are currently no events related to Estallia's departure (Mhen'ga specifically) , there is also no piercings vendor and no space battles that yield any unique loot(unless i skipped something).
There's no events aside from just talking to them there, because that is the resolution to a quest. There is a piercings vendor in the Korg'ii Hold, that being Kiona. I do believe the space thing is correct though, but to be fair, there's not many space battles anyways.

TrustworthyTraitor

Aug 16, 2020
There's no events aside from just talking to them there, because that is the resolution to a quest. There is a piercings vendor in the Korg'ii Hold, that being Kiona. I do believe the space thing is correct though, but to be fair, there's not many space battles anyways.
Kiona does only sell the Lucinite/Savicite where are the silver/gold/etc ones at also if that's true regarding Estallia it's a shame (i hoped a lil' bit for a zil/myr crossover).

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Kiona does only sell the Lucinite/Savicite where are the silver/gold/etc ones at also if that's true regarding Estallia it's a shame (i hoped a lil' bit for a zil/myr crossover).
The other types are drops from M'henga(silver), Tarkus(gold), Uveto (crude Savicite and the Urtanium Ring), Zheng Shi (the Geddanium Ring), and Lund's Golden Rings and Mitzi's Opal Ring are given by their respective owners. They aren't sold, but you can get them

TrustworthyTraitor

Aug 16, 2020
The other types are drops from M'henga(silver), Tarkus(gold), Uveto (crude Savicite and the Urtanium Ring), Zheng Shi (the Geddanium Ring), and Lund's Golden Rings and Mitzi's Opal Ring are given by their respective owners. They aren't sold, but you can get them
Getting the other ones via super duper rare drop chance is a headache , you would think that in a sci fi universe there would be some vendors like that but no the only ones that do sell things like that are tribesmen on a frozen rock....

Derpermeister

Apr 21, 2021
Some scenes where taking a dick absolutely requires a vagina. There aren't too many but I remember some of them.

Scenes that have the requirement I know of:
- Taking Maja's dick
- Getting fucked by the Milodan Futazons after winning
- Getting fucked by Emmy
- Riding Taivris cowgirl after beating her

Kinda wished those scenes had anal variants for my trap buttslut Steele.

Not having an option to turn off penis size requirements (being too big too fit) for the player. I get why but it still feels a bit odd that some npc's don't also have issues fitting their dicks in very small holes, whereas the player does have issues.

MountChar

Apr 15, 2021
Similar to someone else's gripe, there should be just as many cuntboys as there are dickgirls in this game. It's not fair that the only notable cuntboy is the *Sydian while you can't go more than five feet before running into a dickgirl. Also, I understand while everyone loves femboys but could there also be more variety in them? Like maybe instead of another trap, what about a muscle femboy or femme fatale ones? Yoma's a good start but there could definitely be more creativity there.

Also, there should be more nb options than just Ara Kei and the Bothoric enemies and the codex UI should be clearer.

Edit: *and Yoma, can't believe I forgot about him

Edit 2: And a faster way to lower exhibitionism. Good god it takes so long!

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Similar to someone else's gripe, there should be just as many cuntboys as there are dickgirls in this game. It's not fair that the only notable cuntboy is the Sydian while you can't go more than five feet before running into a dickgirl.
Cuntboys aren't as popular as girl dick around here to be written as much (And those that want them don't get to writing them as much) so, there's your explanation.

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
Some scenes where taking a dick absolutely requires a vagina. There aren't too many but I remember some of them.

Scenes that have the requirement I know of:
- Taking Maja's dick
- Getting fucked by the Milodan Futazons after winning
- Getting fucked by Emmy
- Riding Taivris cowgirl after beating her

Kinda wished those scenes had anal variants for my trap buttslut Steele.

Not having an option to turn off penis size requirements (being too big too fit) for the player. I get why but it still feels a bit odd that some npc's don't also have issues fitting their dicks in very small holes, whereas the player does have issues.
Very good points. I have a couple of dickgirl characters who need their prostates massaged by cock too. And practically all of my PCs besides one end up running into the "your dick is too thick"/"you'll rip her in half" tooltip eventually...

ah well. At least there's condensol for the latter.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
A huge grip that I have are some obnoxiously annoying and intrusive characters. Some of them go away at the first "nope", or are easy to ignore, but others keep appearing.

-The creepy woman on NT that invades your dreams. Alexandra, I think. I've been unable to sleep on New Texas because I'm avoiding her like the plague. Sleep Fapnea doesn't keep her away.
-The Treated catgirl and her crew. Random encounter while traveling. Annoyingly insistent, and an annoying bunch of characters, to boot.
-The catgirl that sends you a scammy email. It always triggers after getting Myrellion probe, unfortunately. Easy to ignore, luckily
-Some creepy gabliani chemist in Tarkus. It used be a decent place before, tough a bit rusty. Since she was added, I've yet to set a foot on Tarkus' wild unless I have no other choice.
-The mad doctor in Uveto that sets up a trap for you. Badger at least gives you a warning and keeps otherway to her own bussiness.
-This is not an intrusive character, but an annoying feature. When on the bar, I'm usually looking for Kiro or Verusha, but very often I get those generic Ausar women on the slot, and I've to reload several times until I got either non-follower Kiro or Verusha, if I'm on Tarkus,.

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
Alexandra Holliday? I never had a problem with her, but the wiki says she only tries to mind-control men, and presumably doesn't factor in ((uber)-hung) futas and dickgirls into her galactic domination plans. Surely there's an option to tell her to fuck the hell off?
Shizuya is a pain to meet, I have to agree. Especially if you're not traveling with Anno. It's a pain for me early on in the game because I'd rather wait until I'm done blazing through the probe hunt to fuck around with the Great Majin. Still want to fuck Mika though.
And...Bizzy annoys you? I get Shizzy being a pain because she straight up EMPs your ship and is on the verge of dragging you off under the frame of her puffed-up self-confidence in a frameup for some bioterrorist or whatever. But Bizzy's trying to make herself famous through growing giga gazongas and needs some of those Steele simoleons. I'm still mindboggled as to why she thinks being indentured is a good thing, but if she's happy with it (or just seeking someone's deep personal approval), not much I really want to do to stop it...
Lumi sucks ass if you aren't lust immune, I agree with that. Used to lose a lot to her until I started save editing to get past her and the Zheng Shi slavers. Not much into the bimbo-specialist build.
That's Belle, right? With that strangeass collar on the station. I ignore it, but I understand not wanting to get slapped with permaslavery and other such shit by interacting with it. Sadistic shits like that suck.
"generic Ausar women"- you mean Erra and Anno? I just wait or go to another planet. Don't interact much with anyone in the Tarkus bars, except Chaurmine and the puppies, or Kiro.

Reactions: DJ_Arashi_Rora

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
-The creepy woman on NT that invades your dreams. Alexandra, I think. I've been unable to sleep on New Texas because I'm avoiding her like the plague. Sleep Fapnea doesn't keep her away.
Fairly certain she just shows up as long as you've been to New Texas and you fall asleep with the Blue Balls status effect (while being masculine with a cock and testes and being level 7). So sleeping while off of NT will still lead to her invading if you don't just jack off/fuck right before bed.
Alexandra Holliday? I never had a problem with her, but the wiki says she only tries to mind-control men, and presumably doesn't factor in ((uber)-hung) futas and dickgirls into her galactic domination plans. Surely there's an option to tell her to fuck the hell off?
She will invade the dreams of herms too, but like, masculine herms. As for telling her to fuck off, there is an option to do that... after you go through all 5 of her dreams. You can do rejection scenes in dreams 2, 3, 4, and 5, but the rejection scenes in 2, 3, and 4, where you wake up early in the dream, will just lead to her coming back and doing the same exact dream over and over and over and over and over and fucking over again until you let the dream play out fully. The only permanent rejection is in dream 5, the same dream where acquiescing means a bad end. That's right, you literally have to let her invade your dreams with increasing levels of control and invasiveness 5 times over before you can tell her to fuck off permanently, and if you tell her to fuck off before then then she'll just come back more times. I despise Alexandra Holliday, and the fact that it's purely nonconsensual and a frequently repeating nuisance unless you give in almost all the way just makes me fucking hate her. She is the one character in this game that I wish would just die.

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
She will invade the dreams of herms too, but like, masculine herms. As for telling her to fuck off, there is an option to do that... after you go through all 5 of her dreams. You can do rejection scenes in dreams 2, 3, 4, and 5, but the rejection scenes in 2, 3, and 4, where you wake up early in the dream, will just lead to her coming back and doing the same exact dream over and over and over and over and over and fucking over again until you let the dream play out fully. The only permanent rejection is in dream 5, the same dream where acquiescing means a bad end. That's right, you literally have to let her invade your dreams with increasing levels of control and invasiveness 5 times over before you can tell her to fuck off permanently, and if you tell her to fuck off before then then she'll just come back more times. I despise Alexandra Holliday, and the fact that it's purely nonconsensual and a frequently repeating nuisance unless you give in almost all the way just makes me fucking hate her. She is the one character in this game that I wish would just die.
Yowch! Now she's an aspirant who just won't quit. Can't blame you for hating her for having such a railroad mechanic.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
And...Bizzy annoys you? I get Shizzy being a pain because she straight up EMPs your ship and is on the verge of dragging you off under the frame of her puffed-up self-confidence in a frameup for some bioterrorist or whatever. But Bizzy's trying to make herself famous through growing giga gazongas and needs some of those Steele simoleons. I'm still mindboggled as to why she thinks being indentured is a good thing, but if she's happy with it (or just seeking someone's deep personal approval), not much I really want to do to stop it...

Well, I tend to dislike big breasts if there isn't an equally large dong below. And she presents to you as a scammy message or someone asking for a handout, both things that I despise IRL.

"generic Ausar women"- you mean Erra and Anno? I just wait or go to another planet. Don't interact much with anyone in the Tarkus bars, except Chaurmine and the puppies, or Kiro.

Erra. She's one of the most bland Ausar characters out there. Also, she's female, so I'm not really insterested on her. Anno is also a bit generic, but at least is an useful vendor, though Shekka bests her in general. Still, I got her only for the extra blurbs and scenes with Shekka, Kase and others. I was forced to give a ride the town bycicle a couple times to be able to recruit her, tho.

Ooh Woo

Aug 6, 2019
Well, I tend to dislike big breasts if there isn't an equally large dong below. And she presents to you as a scammy message or someone asking for a handout, both things that I despise IRL.
So, she actually nips the "handout" thing in the bud pretty quickly when you go talk to her. She asks for a hefty investment, sure, but that's exactly what it is - an investment. You can offer to give her whatever money she needs no strings, no contract and she shuts that down right away.

MountChar

Apr 15, 2021
Cuntboys aren't as popular as girl dick around here to be written as much (And those that want them don't get to writing them as much) so, there's your explanation.

I know...If I knew how to code I would probably try to add some myself.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
I know...If I knew how to code I would probably try to add some myself.
Coding isn't necessary for adding to the game. Projects (like characters or transformatives) are made by writers, and while there are some code-ish elements in the writing in the form of parsers, that's essentially just determining word choice or scene direction. If you want to add something, you just need to write it (and also do well with the writing). Finished (and approved) projects then get passed onto coders. I'm not sure of any nuances, or if that's off in some way, but from what I understand it, just learn how the parsers function and write.

Reactions: MountChar

Emily Smith

Apr 20, 2021
I noticed after playing through a route with Kiro bimbofied (btw not something I have much interest in as it takes away who Kiro is) that when you have a foursome with Kiro, Kally and Slyvie that Kiro is no longer bimbofied.

Reactions: Nora Steele

Nora Steele

Dec 17, 2020
That scene must not have a variant for bimbo Kiro, then.