Wayfort Discussion

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
I strongly suspect that not becoming Ryn's vassal won't lock you out of marrying her, if only because Savin has confirmed that it's possible for the player to become a sefl-made Marcher-Baron(ess), so if having a noble title with some actual holdings to back it up is required to marry her there will still be a way to make that happen. But that's assuming that Hethia's comment about making the Champ a noble just so Ryn can marry her is meant seriously and not Hethia being Hethia. :p

So? What decision would be the right one if I play a Champion type Alexander the Great I am uniting different people and territories I would marry Ahmri, Atani and Kiyoko to unify Frost Marches

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
So? What decision would be the right one if I play a Champion type Alexander the Great I am uniting different people and territories I would marry Ahmri, Atani and Kiyoko to unify Frost Marches
I believe nothing like that would be possible.

Also, look at it this way. If you become Baron, you get more elf content. On plus side, if you do not get more elf content. You see which is more appealing.

Last edited:

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
It's already a silly example
What was the Boreal Elves culture like anyway? the queen is the one who has higher position than the king
Because, in the case of Etheryn's father, he was a king dowager, who held his position solely through marriage, not inheritance. Unlike Salic Law European states, the boreal elves don't limit their inheritances and their titles to men; there's no embedded patriarchy.

If the Champion were to be Ryn's spouse, they would also hold their title through marriage rather than inheritance. The extent of power that the Champion would then wield would presumably be based on their relationship with Ryn. Low-Con Ryn would hold the title but probably defer to Champ; high-Con Ryn would exercise her own regnal authority, although she'd probably love for a married Champion to be as involved as they wished and make the whole thing a true partnership.

Karamaru

Jan 31, 2021
Oh, that's very interesting I look forward to the day when I can say "I do" to Etheryn at the altar and see what happens.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Oh, that's very interesting I look forward to the day when I can say "I do" to Etheryn at the altar and see what happens.
There's an "if...were" and a bunch of "presumably"s and "probably"s in there. ;)

Reactions: Karamaru

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
So are there no plans to restore and use the wayfort without becoming the elves' vassal or relying on corrupted characters? As much as I like Ryn, and Daliza's design, I'm in camp "You're not the boss of me! I'm a big marcher girl and I can rule just fine on my own!". So even if I miss out on some content, I'd definitely prefer to be somewhat independent. Besides, I wish to establish my own empire. It'll be better than Belhar. We'll have blackjack and hookers.

Reactions: Colourless

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
So are there no plans to restore and use the wayfort without becoming the elves' vassal or relying on corrupted characters?
As the bolded tooltip says when you hover over the 'Say No' option if you've already told Farrah to leave and not come back, refusing Ryn's offer as well locks you out of the Wayfort refurbishment and all its associated content. That seems pretty definite to me.

Last edited:

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
I wish to establish my own empire. It'll be better than Belhar. We'll have blackjack and hookers.
That's a bit of what I was going for, I don't want to have to give an account to anyone, although I guess a low-confidence Etheym may not have any property over you

Etheryn "Champion could you stop helping the enemy!"

Champion "What the heck are you talking about? I'm fighting corrupt demons"

Etheryn "Yeah to fuck them later! You know how many Imps are wandering around!"

Champion "You are giving it a lot of importance, they are not a threat to the kingdom"

Etheryn "Aghh ... forget it, we have another poblem, the explorers have informed us of an alarming increase in the appearance of Kitsunes in the forests. If this continues, it speaks of territorial problems. Do you know something, Champion?"

Champion::oops:

Last edited:

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
Etheryn "Aghh ... forget it, we have another, the explorers have informed us of an alarming increase in the appearance of Kitsunes in the forests. If this continues, it speaks of territorial problems. Do you know something, Champion?"

Look, in my defense, I really just want a thicc nine-tailed waifu for laifu. And there are way more driders than kitsune anyway.

As the bolded tooltip says when you hover over the 'Say No' option if you've already told Farrah to leave and not come back, refusing Ryn's offer as well locks you out of the Wayfort refurbishment and all its associated content. That seems pretty definite to me.

I figured that'd be the answer but I wanted to hold out hope I could truly be my own self made baroness.

Stupid_Goo

Apr 10, 2021
Look, in my defense, I really just want a thicc nine-tailed waifu for laifu.
Kohaku still best fox waifu for me.
Asagiri will be best daughter, Kinu second-best.
Don't question why Kinu isn't first.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So are there no plans to restore and use the wayfort without becoming the elves' vassal or relying on corrupted characters?

Correct. You gotta either bootstrap yourself with the help of some very shady people, or else accept the normal hierarchy of authority in the world and become a vassal.

Karamaru

Jan 31, 2021
I wish to establish my own empire. It'll be better than Belhar. We'll have blackjack and hookers.
And trebuchets don't forget those.

Correct. You gotta either bootstrap yourself with the help of some very shady people, or else accept the normal hierarchy of authority in the world and become a vassal.

Exactly work within the system and work your way up through political maneuvering and marriages got plenty of Fox kids to marry off.

Reactions: Wint3rRyd3r

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
Being married to Atani Ahri would make you Chief of the tribes that dominate the prairies and considering that Harvest Valley is where the great amount of harvest and water resources, you are produced that would be the largest resource provider in the region, something very to have in mind. mind you could you could even blackmail other kingdoms.
just put a few scarecrows so the stupid harpies don't peck your crops.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021

Oh well. Time to Game of Thrones this shit. If Bran become the ruling monarch, then I can too. I just need a low confidence Ryn, a big fancy sword, several political marriages, a keg of jellyfish flavored lube, trebuchets and other siege weapons, and my will to live. I'm almost halfway there livin' on a prayer.

Reactions: Karamaru

ThunderOwl

Mar 14, 2021
Oh well. Time to Game of Thrones this shit.
Savarra Game of Thrones would be curious. Of course the Champion´s House motto would be "I am coming"

Btw, are we going to be able to choose a name, motto and banner for our noble house full of bastards?

Alfenjeiser02

Jan 1, 2020
Now that I think about it, what about hermaphrodite elves weren't infertile?

It would be complicated if there was a new successor, there could be a conflict where Etheym would have to choose between a sex if he becomes a man, he will get you pregnant and if he chooses to become a woman she will have your baby?

Wiiiiiiiiiiii.PNG

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016

It would be complicated if there was a true successor, there could be a conflict where Etheym would have to choose between a sex if he becomes a man, he will get you pregnant and if he chooses to become a woman she will have your baby?

View attachment 16949
Nope.

Half-sexed boreal elves can very definitely have children. Ryn's own grandsire Synneva was half-sexed. And Ryn is not going to have anything other than fem pronouns, nor is she ever going to be anything but a lady with a dick and no vag.

Reactions: Squirrelwagon

TheShepard256

It would be complicated if there was a new successor, there could be a conflict where Etheym would have to choose between a sex if he becomes a man, he will get you pregnant and if he chooses to become a woman she will have your baby?

View attachment 16949
I attribute the underlined portion to ignorance on the part of ancient Belharan scholars. The closest it could be to being true is if half-sexed tend to have a lower (but still non-zero) virility than 'regular' males, but there's no evidence for or against that. Also, half-sexed aren't hermaphrodites, they're feminine-looking males.

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
I attribute the underlined portion to ignorance on the part of ancient Belharan scholars. The closest it could be to being true is if half-sexed tend to have a lower (but still non-zero) virility than 'regular' males, but there's no evidence for or against that. Also, half-sexed aren't hermaphrodites, they're feminine-looking males.
No, they are females. Ryn and every other half sexed Elf refer to themselves as girls.

Last edited:

TheShepard256

No, they are females. Ryn and every other half sexed Elf refer to themselves as girls.
'Male' =/= 'man' and 'Woman' =/= 'female'. 'Male' and 'female' are sexes; they describe one's reproductive organs. 'Man' and 'woman' are genders; they're what determine which pronouns to use. Half-sexed boreal elves have male genitalia (penis, prostate, testicles etc. + sperm production) and lack female genitalia (vagina, uterus, ovaries etc. + ova production), which by definition makes them male (herms have both sets of genitals). It doesn't say anything about their gender, and it just so happens that Ryn and her grandsire Synneva are women.

Reactions: Jorr The Great

Tenalc13

Mar 16, 2020
It seems that people perceive the barony through modern realities. In reality, the only social lift that could give power and prosperity was the army. Through the service it was possible at least to get the land under management. Otherwise, those in power would not have given a chance to gain influence in the government. Even if you are a well-to-do merchant. The only way is intrigue and manipulation or overthrow of power.
Although this of course depends on the world and how the devs see it. But when I play CoC2 I remember that we are the Bronze Age. Where most of the population is farmers and slaves. And getting a barony for my PC is an easy path to a good life.

....at least that's how I see it.

TheShepard256

It's meant to imply socially imposed lack of access to reproduction -- eg. half-sex aren't given nearly as many chances to breed.
Ah. I didn't consider that possibility as I was under the impression boreal elf society didn't discriminate against the half-sexed in that way. The only thing I can identify in favour of that is the next sentence in the Codex entry, but given what courtesans and harems are for I'd assume that, if anything, it would increase their reproductive opportunities.

Darkpheonix

Aug 27, 2015
Wouldn't it reduce their reproductive opportunities? Since a female can only be impregnated by one male/halfsexed then Harems would naturally decrease their reproductive opportunities. If a half sex was a consort to a boreal couple then there would be only a 50% chance that any child born of the female would be theirs and that's assuming they would be allowed to finish in the females vagina. Larger harems would only decrease the chance of their seed bearing fruit.

Reactions: Savin

Ireyon

May 14, 2018
It's meant to imply socially imposed lack of access to reproduction -- eg. half-sex aren't given nearly as many chances to breed.

Doesn't the background also state that they usually were lovers or concubines? How would that work? If there was an established opinion that they were infertile, half-sexed elves wouldn't be given contraceptives and their female lovers wouldn't bother taking them, which woudl result in a pregnancy. Likewise, telling them that they're infertile would likely encourage them to have more sex since they'd believe that there would be no consequences.

I just don't think that this would work unless you shipped them off to a monastery. There's no giant conspiracy to keep them as second class citizens (as Ryn's ascension demonstrates) and something like infertility is really easily disproven.

I mean Ryn's grandmother was half-sexed. Why would the queen of the boreal elves choose someone to have kids with if the prevailing opinion was that she's infertile?

Reactions: TheShepard256

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
They can identify as whatever they want, the vast majority just more commonly take up the female gender, and thus it shows ingame.
Half-sex can typically pass themselves off as either gender, though most are referred to as feminine.

TheShepard256

Wouldn't it reduce their reproductive opportunities? Since a female can only be impregnated by one male/halfsexed then Harems would naturally decrease their reproductive opportunities. If a half sex was a consort to a boreal couple then there would be only a 50% chance that any child born of the female would be theirs and that's assuming they would be allowed to finish in the females vagina. Larger harems would only decrease the chance of their seed bearing fruit.
Heteropaternal superfecundation - where a single pregnancy has multiple children with different sires - is a thing in real-life, and has been documented to happen among even supposedly monogamous couples. I'd imagine it would be a lot more common among societies where females having multiple sex partners is common, such as ausar and boreal elves (at least, the ones with consorts and/or additional spouses). Even if we discount that possibility, your logic would only apply on a per-pregnancy basis and things would, on average, even out over the course of multiple pregnancies.

Then again, when I said what I said I must have assumed the consort-taker was always female. If the taker was male (including another half-sexed), and assuming no cheating, the only viable reproductive partners for the half-sexed would be any females who are also lovers with the male, and that would still likely require permission from the male him/herself. In that situation, I could understand reduced breeding opportunities. For female consort-takers, I still think they'd get increased breeding opportunities since they have guaranteed access to the taker herself, plus (again) any of her other lovers she lets the half-sexed breed with.
Half-sexed who aren't consorts or additional spouses would have to find a lover of their own, but unless females are significantly less likely to be single than non-half-sexed males, I don't see that having much of an impact on their access to breeding opportunities. And, of course, if a half-sexed is the head of the household it's entirely possible for him/her to have consorts him/herself, and he/she is practically guaranteed to have kids.

Squirrelwagon

Jun 15, 2016
I just want to gently butt in by saying the half-sexed Boer'alvar are intersex, and acknowledged as much in their culture. Given they're probably also smaller in size as babies compared to other boer'alvar, it may be safe to assume they're assigned intersex at birth, too.