Observation post of the Observer.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I keep on forgetting to post this, so I'll get it down right now. Ahem.

Since a few days back, there'll be no further content block for getting your favourite fox-slut because we've decided to cut most of Taoth's content, as well as very possibly content from loaded files in which he doesn't exist and make him do so by default with maybe a few lines changed. The warning that you get when you pick up fox-slut's orb will be removed shortly in future patches.

The conversation which led to this decision is a long story, but to give the succinct details, there's already so much content on one side of the scale and skewed player perception that trying to match the content that would be a lost cause and an uphill task which generally engendered bad moods amongst the base.

I'll be using the extra effort to improve and branch out the main route's experience going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greyfox643

Tamsee

Mar 2, 2018
That is actually a healthy decision. Already the content you managed to write could fill a thick book. Though I guess Taoth still could be used in the future, just probably as an enemy.

As for the warning on picking up the amber orb, maybe it could be a warning that it potentially can lead to you being locked up with Keros? After all there may be a chance that we will see other Living Gods and they'd also want to make the player an offer.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
That is actually a healthy decision. Already the content you managed to write could fill a thick book. Though I guess Taoth still could be used in the future, just probably as an enemy.

As for the warning on picking up the amber orb, maybe it could be a warning that it potentially can lead to you being locked up with Keros? After all there may be a chance that we will see other Living Gods and they'd also want to make the player an offer.

Just taking Kiyoko doesn't lock you out of anything the other gods offer.

Tamsee

Mar 2, 2018
M-hm, meant the deal with god (yeah, now removing the warning from the orb makes perfect sense, duh), just again I worded it by too broad an example as I tend to do. Sorry for that.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Small progress update.

We're going to be kicking off Mayternity with a small bonus midweek backers patch with the heat and rut mechanics, as well as a couple of items. For the weekly patch proper, we ought to be getting the Mother's Day scene for Kiyoko in so your kits can pay respects to their okaa-sama well in advance for the 12th of May, as well as a hidden sex option from her play menu. To be done are family scenes, accessible from Kinu's menu.

For those of you who're having problems getting eggs of a specific colour or who don't have feminine bits, I'm working on ovilixer scenes for Shar, whenever that gets in. You'll be able to tell Shar what colour of egg you'd like her to lay, and rush buy it for more ovilixers if you really need it right now.

Garret acknowledging he's knocked you up and generic lupine pregnancies will probably come past the middle of the month.

don-bonohue

Nov 20, 2018
By the way, is there any reason why the old forest floofs link in the OP redirects to the thread? Is that a mistake or am I just dumb?

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I've dispensed with my Maternity duties over this month, and have been generally quite pleased with the results. Thanks to all of you, Mayternity has been quite the success, we've leapt a little over $2000 during this period, and I'd like to express my thanks.

Meanwhile:

upset.png

"...Mom, I've come to a decision."
"You're always out all the time."
"And even when you're home, you never talk to me any more."
"No matter how hard I've tried over the last two seasons, you always find some excuse to brush me off."
"It's like you don't even want me around to begin with."
"Or as if I'm some kind of mistake who should never have existed in the first place."
"So I've decided to get out of your hair. I'm old enough to be wedded off, I'm going to marry Hitoshi and live with him."
"Asagiri can take over my duties, she's the daughter you wanted anyway. Not me. That became clear after I couldn't become the person you wanted me to be."
"You won't have to look at my disappointing face any more, I bet you'll be happier after I'm gone."
"I'm leaving tomorrow."
"Goodbye."

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Sad, insecure Inari girl. I kinda wish I could blend the two options into a girl with the self-confidence to speak her mind, and the sense to go for a boy who can settle down and be there for her.

Reactions: wolfraider13

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
"Aw, don't hurt your old... er... man's feelin's like that, pumpkin!"

(My current main's a hermaphrodite who started and identifies female, so wouldn't quite be sure about using the male pronoun. Shula's a wonderfully sensual being of grace and pleasure, but a little awkward at the whole "parenting" thing.)

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
fullbody.png

"Well you see, Hitoshi...I've got it all worked out. If you get me pregnant, my mother won't have any choice but to let us marry..."

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Well, I'd hope that she isn't pressured into a decision she might regret, but I'd always wish my little princess happiness.

And honestly, I like the farmboy better than the samurai wannabe.

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
Mild lore question (as in I dont really care about gameplay/immersion, just curiosity about what I read)

In your Flooflore, you mentioned that while floofs *CAN* feed off of Other Floofs, it is both inefficient (not as sustainable/filling) and looked down upon in floof society.

So where does that leave the PC post Floofification (if they accept full permanent TF)? Would player essence be the exception? as they were never BORN a Floof, they were merely molded by it... and as such, their core essence is still different/tasty.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Good progress is being made. Let's just say that the amount of content I have backlogged is astronomical.

unknown.png

All in good time.

unknown.png

Someone remembers if you were naughty or nice to her subordinates...

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
All right, real talk hours time. We'll set aside the fox-spam for a post or two.

What you can roughly expect from my side going forward into July:

First off, we're going to be heading back to take a look at Garth's family. I've got an entire dungeon that's been written up for years, waiting to see the light of day; at first, it was meant to be a FoE dungeon, but I retooled it into something more suitable for CoC2. What's important about this place is that you'll be able to bring Garret in with you as a guest party member for the entire dungeon, and if you ask him to come along with you he'll open up some alternative solutions to problems, and you'll get to learn quite a lot of background on Garth's family, his wife, and what kind of woman she was. If you don't like the strongest man in all of Savarra (TM), you don't have to bring him along, but the dungeon will be tuned for as if you did, so keep that in mind.

stuff3.png

The second thing I have in line is yet another of the town improvementation efforts, the first one having been Leorah. Sanders is building a cloister as an addition to his little chapel, and would like you to seek a holy relic said to be somewhere in Harvest Valley. I'm in the process of writing up some sex and the bad ends for this smaller but still relevant dungeon, and expect to be done by the end of this week. You'll be clashing again with members of Tollus' demon cult in that particular area's storyline, and be introduced to some more notable members of his little cult -- you know they're important because they have names -- and what would motivate people to throw their lot in with such a band.

When the cloister is done, you'll be able to use it at the cost of some money and one unit of winterstem to burn off corruption. 20 if you have 24 or less, 15 if you have 74 or less, and 10 otherwise per use. Our goal is to make corruption sticky, but still have a quick way at redemption if you're willing to pay through the nose to get it. Going and getting good with the gods will be more effective if you do it regularly as opposed to when you're fully corrupted.

As an added bonus, when you use the cloister you'll also have a chance to meet Shar, who has taken to coming into town from her tower and looking after Sanders' more domestic needs. You still can't have outright sex with her yet -- cloister sex will be written when that becomes relevant -- but you'll be able to get intimate with her right in front of her patron goddess.

Moving forward, you can see that we're making preparations to add the Frostwood. I have particular interest in this because it means that I'll finally be able to dump the entirety of the content I've been holding back for years on your heads. Before that happens, though, Harvest Valley must be wrapped up in some fashion -- the boss would like for either the centaur dungeon or marefolk village to be completed before we move on. Gardeford and Wsan are hard at work putting that together, which means I'm going to be back-logging content for the Frostwood in the meantime. First thing I'm probably going to work on once I finish this dungeon is a tanuki witch combat encounter, one of Evergreen's more wayward daughters. I've commissioned Will to prepare a small surprise for the zone, too.

In the meantime, I'm making the final preparations for the opening of fluff haus. This is going to be fun for me because I don't need to worry about having you win the combat encounters in order to proceed the narrative, so long as you have Kiyoko's orb. As you can see, with DCL a little stretched, I've been commissioning suitable bust art for use. And speaking of busts...

mikoc.png

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Funnily enough I didn't even think of using Google, I sent it to a friend.

Tamsee

Mar 2, 2018
the strongest man in all of Savarra (TM)
Damn right I'm imagining Garret in Cirino's clothes now.

Once the content for the Harvest Valley is implemented, how likely is it the whole work completed so far on Frostwood is placed all at once?

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
This is an actual spoiler, so eh.

mikoc.png
maic.png

Mikoto and Miyuki Kurokawa, by Moira

One of the things I've been wanting to talk about for some time is the Kurokawa kitsune den -- or as we call it internally, Floof Haus. It's been in development for almost as long as Kiyoko herself, the first edition being created by good old Ted himself years back when the design document was first released to the writers, then revamped by me when I took over the kitsune from him some time down the line. As things have shaken out, each major writer on the team is claiming their own fiefdoms in the lore and in-game -- Gardeford with the marefolk village and centaur tribes, Wsan with Khor'Minos, and so forth. Although I was at first interested in an aarakocra-expy race (which were totally not Chozo) and the harpies, life throws you a curve ball sometimes. As it turned out, the not-Chozo didn't pan out after 200,000 words of companion, and I junked that and got handed the floofs instead.

Now after so many years, the Frostwood is almost upon us in a matter of mere months, and the content I've got pent-up is almost ready to be unleashed upon you all. Some of what I've planned has been discussed earlier in this thread; most of it still sticks, but like what you've seen with the entire cutting of the Taoth path, others fall away as my narrative adapts to the game as it changes.

In the coming weeks leading up to this, I'd like to talk about the locations and characters that are involved here, hopefully drum up a little hype and explain my thoughts and reasonings behind the decisions I made in designing the foxes.

The Kurokawa kitsune den is a location in the northwestern Frostwood, smack dab in the level 5 area. You won't be able to enter it at first, although it's likely that a couple of generic kitsune encounters will be released first. The dungeon is tuned for level 5, and given what I've plotted out for it, will be extremely hard in the vein of UrtaQuest; a complete boss rush with no retreat or resting in between. As such, it probably won't actually hit until level 5 is released, although there are mitigating circumstances -- you can still continue the narrative even if you lose by having the amulet of transference/union on you when you enter via a quest triggered by Lady Evergreen. Once the dungeon is completed, the interior layout will change, you'll be able to enter and leave freely through either the front entrance or the torii gate which also serves as a warpstone; I'd like to also add a fun option to travel directly to Kiyoko's home from there.

What I'm hoping to achieve with this location is something akin to Korg'ii Hold in TiTs: a hub full of fun and interesting characters that also serves interesting mechanical functions. To date, I have seven interactable characters and three supporting characters lined up; these include characters from the two other authors who've shown interest in dabbling with kitsune characters. Hopefully they'll have good enough personalities, story arcs and scenes to keep you lot coming back.

More importantly, you'll be able to do two important things at the shrine in the heart of the tree, if you wish: one, sell your soul to the Trickster god, and two, finally free Kiyoko from the Astral Plane. I don't expect the latter to come for some time after its release because I'll have to retool the kitsune shrine in the Old Forest as her home and for all your children, as well as make all her scenes work outside of the astral plane, but when it does come this is where you'll be doing it from. Remember that in order to free Kiyoko, Kinu must have been born, which means that you'll have to impregnate her at least once and receive the amulet of union. Once Kiyoko is freed, the amulet is gone forever, and Kinu's adult stats and choices are set into stone as she leaves childhood behind and becomes a young woman.

One thing to note about this project in general, if you haven't noticed it already from the codex, is that the kitsune are deliberately weeb -- a deliberately heavily romanticised version of actual Japanese culture and history that borrows interesting things from several eras. Inasmuch as Khor'Minos borrows from Imperial Rome, Orcs borrow from Vikings and the marefolk borrow from Mongolians, I'm borrowing from the host culture and not aiming to stick 100% true to actual historical facts. The kitsune still have to stay framed within the world of Savarra and the basic premises set out for them -- for example, being a largely matriarchal society save for the Imperial Family already causes several major diversions from actual historical Japanese culture, not to mention the numerous knock-on effects. The general goal I'm aiming for is akin to the Blossoms are Falling supplement for Burning Wheel -- a historically and culturally inspired fun romp that while maintaining some flavour and bilingual bonus, is still accessible to the vast majority of western audiences.

In either case, I aim to have fun writing, and I hope you have fun playing through the content, too.

Characters: Miko and Mai

Mikoto (美琴) and Miyuki (美雪)

Miko and Mai are the third incarnation of, and spiritual successors to the vulpine characters of Savin's; he's been kind enough to let me write for them in the third game. Fraternal twin sisters, they're a rarity amongst kitsune in that they both count as the firstborn daughters in the direct Kurokawa matrilineal line, and hence are both poised to succeed their great-great-grandmother as opposed to the position traditionally going to the eldest daughter. Komari's looking to retire sometime in the next twenty or thirty years, and has sent for her great-great granddaughters to train as priestesses and prepare them for taking her place as Shrine Mother. Technically, the sisters are competing for the position on their merits, but at this point it's readily clear that it wouldn't make much difference; neither Miko nor Mai make decisions without the other knowing anyway, and with Miko being a borderline nymphomaniac, Mai's chain-smoking habit is a small vice in comparison.

The twins can usually be found together, but it's not like they're joined at the hip or anything; of note is the fact that Miko and Mai sleep in the same bed and have done so since they were kits. They speak Kansai-Ben, which means I'm going to have to make them sound like southern hicks, aren't I? Their personalities certainly match the stereotypes evoked.

I won't deny that part of the reason these two exist is to scratch my shrine maiden itch, and that's where you can expect to find them, tending to the day-to-day business of caring for the shrine to Keros in the heart of the den. Miko is diurnal while Mai is nocturnal and their lives intersect at dawn and dusk; they'll provide slightly different services for the player depending on who's currently tending to the shrine.

Eastin

Aug 3, 2016
Can i fall in love with a picture? Those beautiful busts sure did something to me