Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
First post on this albeit it's through the modded variant and not the original, I love sex-battle type games, lesbian sex battle is something I'm gonna even try to (poorly) translate one day when it's done but only the menus since the genre is always the most interesting.

Why are there so many forms of laced/addictive fluids? I can't tell if the bodymod versions are different from the perk versions...

Is it intentional that Player/NPC cocks can shrink over time due to Mara's shrink ray shenanigans? Gonna end up giving my makeshift futas "Stable Form" just to dissuade it.

-snip- Attempted to mod game; failure. I don't understand code... RIP plans to install ass sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharredNewt

Aug 28, 2015
Eclipse, Chapter the second:
Wow, thanks to your advice, it took me less than half an hour to get this eclipse behemoth up and running, with an offline NG folder. Now I can - at last! - do a bona fide global search for this cryptic/elusive string/global/method; that should tremendously help me understanding what's what, where 'it' comes from and where 'it' goes ^_^ ... And check whether a change I've tried pissed Sithrak off or not >_> So, yeah, more to learn, but nothing F1 doesn't cure.

@Charred, I thought the upsidedown stance was more like if you had enough body strength to lift the other person up, which is why it uses the absolute power and not the difference. The Rosea stuff isn't really finished yet. She doesn't get any traits as she levels up, which is probably why she's so weak at higher levels.

upsidedown stance: makes sense... I doubt POW200 Jewel would weight 200 pounds o_O  I thought the stance would be much more overwhelming than it is.
Rosea stuff: no worries; I'm happier with getting brand-new Samantha Rabbit to play 'carrot or stick' with :) I was just dumping some notes I made off an old 'suggestions' txt file.

@Everyone helping out, thanks a ton as usual, you make it possible for me to release something playable :) . That said, I was wondering if we could maintain a bug list somewhere? If you don't mind signing up for github, you can probably just create issues there on the project page. You don't have to know any code or whatever, just sign up, then go to

https://github.com/nergantre/nightgamesmod/issues and create issue. It'll help me a ton because it's a bit difficult for me to keep track of what I fixed and what other people have fixed.

I second Github; as an average Java neophyte and Github newbie, I can vouch for its user-friendliness, as far as small stuff like text is concerned. And it's SFW. Aaand it's free; as in, 0 bucks, 0 cents-free.
Alternatively, Wikia and some other sites provide a way to edit a txt publicly, without even signing in. Dunno much about that myself.
Anyways, this should be a file listing all bugs not resolved, with an 'unconfirmed', 'TODO', 'not a bug ?', 'Foo is fixing it', 'Foo submitted a fix', tag for each bug. That definitely sounds much better than browsing through pages of forum posts...

About missing scenes: http://fenoxo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77-nightgames-mod-v183release-updated-91715/&page=2#comment-2516 out-of-date, but the base is in this post's spoiler
Why not create a separate thread 'NGmod LF writers' somewhere, with that updated list as the first post? Each contributor could link to the submission post here, hence having it easier to know whats to be done/done, and lightening the load on this here thread?
Additionally, it would make prior critics & proofreading all the easier, since the scene would be here for all to see.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Attempted to mod game; failure. I don't understand code... RIP plans to install ass sizes.

It just so happens that I am suffering from tingling fingertips, but did not have any ideas as to what to do. If you have some ideas for new ass mechanics, perhaps I could work them in? 

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
I just looked through that missing scene list. You won't need to worry about some of Eve's scenes in a couple weeks.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
v1.8.3.1

1_8_3_1.zip

1.8.3.1 changelog

New:
- Added some body mods for Angel
    - Includes an option for Divinity attributes
    - Everything costs "Holy Water". Yes it's in quotes. Yes it's probably what you think it is.
- Added some new items
    - Added Empty Bottles to the hardware store after you're rank 1.
        - Please don't ask why buying empty bottles cost 100$... They're uh... expensive bottles. That freezes the contents inside so they never spoil. Yeah.
    - Having an empty bottle in your inventory and defeating a girl with pussy mods can give you some cool new items.
        - Before you make a bug report, Samantha and Jewel don't have anything special. It didn't really make sense to me.
    - Defeating another NPC with a penis lets you collect semen in another way.

Other Changes:
- Made the default save file format .ngs
    - Your old saves should still work, it's just named .ngs if you save from the dialog
- Restructured the JAR so that it no longer holds any assets. Everything is outside the JAR
    - If you have trouble playing the game, make sure everything is in one folder,
        and the location of the folder is somewhere where you don't need admin permissions to access.
    - IE don't put it in C:\Windows\System ...
- Added a debug prompt
    - Mostly for debugging, but well... if you need to cheat...
    - It's in credits -> debug for now
    - Some examples:
        - Player.setXP 1000
        - Player.setMoney 100000
        - Player.ding
        - Player.ding 10
        - Player.addItem EmptyBottle 20
        - Player.addTrait soulsucker
        - Mara.removeTrait ticklish
            - this wont work very well on level up traits since they'll get it back immediately
        - Angel.list

Bug fixes:
- Fixed some textual bugs.
- "Fixed" succubus surprise so it's a bit more rare and bit more of a surprise.
- Fixed Trance not making you masturbate.
- Fixed kiss of baptism and various divine skills doing nothing if you didn't have two times the mojo needed

CharredNewt

Aug 28, 2015
It just so happens that I am suffering from tingling fingertips, but did not have any ideas as to what to do. If you have some ideas for new ass mechanics, perhaps I could work them in? 

I'm sure I won't have the time anytime soon, but my humble short-terms projects were:
- implement new skills/stances, namely assjob and thighjob (perhaps with specific "hand lock"), waist hold (breast lock), leg hold (mouth lock), frottage for girls (sumata, hold from "above" stance), armpit (armpit lock?)
- add a small chance for some skills to induce a "lock" stance (hand lock, mouth lock...)

I won't hold it against you if you code them before I do (which should take me, like, a mounth or two?). I can manage the text if you're uninspired, I won't mind filling placeholders.
If you think your time is better spent elsewhere, that's completely fine as well :)

Btw, your AI 'weight" system is a godsend! (the following post kinda reminded me I wanted to tell you that, ah ah)

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
Although ideas are cheap and unfortunately I don't understand the game all that well yet. Still having trouble figuring out what the heck the differences between pleasure and hotness is supposed to be since wiki isn't helping. I tried looking through body parts code to see what I could clone over into a separate function, but the task required more effort than I expected.

Mainly all I wanted was ass sizes with bonuses/detriments based on size, as a major fan of trade-offs. Small tight butts for speed, and decreased ass fetish bonuses. Bubble butt with increased 'damage' recieved/given. And of course the expected large wobbling butt with decreased speed, pinning bonus, and increased sensitivity. I would try to push for massive having more pleasure output, but it's really more than someone could even use effectively, so pushing it to be used as a stunlock option is easier.

And in terms of 'asspussy' just wanted a loose/puffy alternative with higher pleasure output instead of the lubrication options.

I will mention anal will need element support since anal can be considered a free ride without major penalties.

It's actually hard to think of anything since the game is largely feature complete aside from niche desires like ass size and greater futanari player/npc support. From looking over everything it just seems to be lacking content.

If I could code I would be tempted to add silly things inspired by Keijo.

CharredNewt

Aug 28, 2015
I will mention anal will need element support since anal can be considered a free ride without major penalties.

It's actually hard to think of anything since the game is largely feature complete aside from niche desires like ass size and greater futanari player/npc support. From looking over everything it just seems to be lacking content.
I agree about anal being kinda cheaty, though later skills and perks tend to balance this a little. The base 'damage to user' might have to be buffed, and/or 'ass fetish' be divided between 'cheeks' and 'hole' (logical 'cos orifice tigher?).

About the content, actually... It's the reason I was surprised to see NG pop up at Fenoxo. I like CoC and FoE as RPGs, but the content is way too 'extra' for my tastes. I'll be the minority vote, but I like 'vanilla' content - a "mere" strapon lowers my Mojo way more than 9-10  points and I stock up on tinydrafts :) I don't mind the additional content at all, but I'm definitely bound to fail as a playtester. My loss, I guess. ;)

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
There's always someone who prefers a more normal route... -snip-

Late edit; I didn't mean content to strictly sex though, there's a huge gap in skills and balance.

Is it possible to implement a skill block to reduce trash skills on player end? EDIT: I'm terrible at descriptions.

Edit2: Looks like AI has the same problem as LSB, even when they push the player into a submissive fucking position, they'll ignore thrusting moves in favor of minor skills.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I'm sure I won't have the time anytime soon, but my humble short-terms projects were:- implement new skills/stances, namely assjob and thighjob (perhaps with specific "hand lock"), waist hold (breast lock), leg hold (mouth lock), frottage for girls (sumata, hold from "above" stance), armpit (armpit lock?)

How would the leg hold you propose differ from the existing PinAndBlow/HeldOral? I guess you mean the user holds on to the target's legs and then orally pleasures them, but PinAndBlow does that too. Unlike what the name would suggest, it works against females as well. Armpits... I don't see how that would work. The user would be off-center by necessity and would have to keep one arm along their side, so the target would also have at least one arm free. It would, then, not really be a pin. All others I can do, probably over the weekend and probably with placeholder text.

- add a small chance for some skills to induce a "lock" stance (hand lock, mouth lock..)

I'm not too sure about this. But if you can come up with some convincing scenarios, I'm sure the coding would not be too hard to do.

Is it possible to implement a skill block to reduce trash skills on player end?

Do you mean to prevent you from seeing certain skills even if they are available? If so, sure.

CharredNewt

Aug 28, 2015
Is it possible to implement a skill block to reduce trash skills on player end? EDIT: I'm terrible at descriptions.

Edit2: Looks like AI has the same problem as LSB, even when they push the player into a submissive fucking position, they'll ignore thrusting moves in favor of minor skills.

Player's end: Actually, my latest headache was failing to create a mere "back" SubSkill, in order to stuff skills into categories.

CPU's end: I was thinking of a daytime interaction with NPCs liking you enough; a kind of naughty random Q&As to tweak the AI's choices... (something along the lines of, "Ah, so you like my feet this much?" -> feet moves+ 10%, "Oh, so you're not a breasts man?" -> breasts moves -5%, "C'mon, don' t be shy!" -> no change)
The AI's weight system makes that easier, but that would imply dumping those values in the savefile...

How would the leg hold you propose differ from the existing PinAndBlow/HeldOral? I guess you mean the user holds on to the target's legs and then orally pleasures them, but PinAndBlow does that too. Unlike what the name would suggest, it works against females as well. Armpits... I don't see how that would work. The user would be off-center by necessity and would have to keep one arm along their side, so the target would also have at least one arm free. It would, then, not really be a pin. All others I can do, probably over the weekend and probably with placeholder text.

The way I see it, PinAndBlow and HeldOral assume:
a) Receiving end (RE) is on his/her back in "receiving missionary" position, legs spread apart
b) Giving end (GE) is between RE's legs, raising & holding them in place from below with his/her arms
c) Both parties are on the ground, only GE can easily break hold and stand up, while RE must break the hold to have mobility / access to GE's ero zones
d) Only possible reversals from GE would be (by rolling around) 'mouth gag' (RE has dick), or 'facesit' (RE whatever)

I was thinking along the lines of 'bear hugs' :
Type 1) a 'body/body' hold (plain ol' regular bear hug, basically a tight embrace)
Type 2) 'RE's legs are held together by GE' hold (assumes GE's face +/- stands at the height RE's belly/chest, holding RE's legs at +/- thighs's height)
- both are likely to be applicable standing or laying down, with GE possibility to 'throw down' RE at any point if both parties are standing

Type 1) both parties can kiss, but GE has a lower body mobility advantage, the taller the better (sic)
* GE can rub RE's crotch with little to no risk (using lower limbs), or engage in safer frottage
* RE could kick; no Jackie-Chan stuff, but a mean, very mean Knee to uncastrated GEs
* RE might reach GE's buttcheeks, but definitely not GE's genitals, as RE can't freely move his her/spine. Male GE might also be able restrict access to penis (RE can't move her/his arms properly & bodies too close).
* Male RE: Reversal might include 'mutual bear hug' leading to kiss battle/body rubbing, and/or 'taking leg advantage' to allow RE to frottage and/or to initiate intercourse (male RE can't use arms to spread GE legs; RE can't move hips properly to adjust angle/height)
* Female RE might be able to initiate submissive intercourse as a reversal - the more lubed the easier, the taller the easier (sic)
... Now that I think about it, type 1) would probably be have results similar to a pin when both parties are down. Standing type 1) would work best VS frail (Angel, Samantha) and fast (Kat) REs, worse VS kissers (Cassie, Reika) and wrestlers (Jewel busting your jewels).

Type 2) RE is basically even more helpless than with Oral Holds; RE can't use any useful skill but words
*Male RE has GE's upper body pressing on his crotch - bad news. Female RE has her breasts exposed to GE's mouth.
*Male GE can have free shots using chest / mouth versus RE. Female GE might be able to switch to an effective, relatively safe 'tittyfuck' stance (?)
* allows RE full use of Elbow, Headbutt?
* Female RE might retaliate with some kind of Breast jiggling/smother?
*Reversals should be hard for RE (easier with RE having lubed up body?), with either switching to type 1), or going for facesitting / mouthgagging.
I see few drawbacks to type 2), so it should be difficult to pull?

*Armpits... Yeah, I was picturing a RE-downed, GE-safe move with breasts bonus, but this definitely sounds unrealistic, as RE keeps so much freedom of movement. Even with RE bound or enthralled, GE would probably choose better alternatives.

*I figure dickless participants would also want to keep their crotch safe. Clothed lapdance, dryhumping, pussy rubbing, trapping RE's junk between tights, sound rather safe & effective additions to the regular, fool-proofed oral arsenal.
I'll spoiler the bulk of my reply since this has got somewhat... verbose. I'm trying to picture simple, realistic moves that would come naturally/logically to mind, and to compile my 'what would I do in that case?' thoughts. So I'm kinda organizing my vague ideas as I write.

@ "small chance for some skills to induce a "lock" stance": Well, here are the first, simplest that would come to mind:

a) <GE (giving end) uses breasts / kisses / licks> GE can as easily wrap her/his arms around RE (receiving end) => bear hug / type 1)
b) <GE uses handjob> GE might grip RE's shaft hard enough to: 1- Deny orgasm and 2- Prevent RE from pulling back => handjob lock
c) <GE uses blow> wraps arms around RE => standing oral pin / type 2)
d) <RE has a fetish, GE exploits it> RE goes weak in the knees => GE has a window of opportunity to follow-through (2nd attack, specific hold depending on current stance) or push RE down more easily
e) <Submissive GE using powerful hips/tighten/pussyBlow> => chance to 'auto-wrap legs around RE'
The turn-based system inherently makes it so a number of skills seem to end abruptly, or go repetitive; I thought adding 5-10%(?) chance for a surprise, an occasional turn gain/loss, which might smoothen and liven up the flow, without much of a balance issue.

With that in mind, that's one of the reasons why Samantha feels fresh - her simple combo makes it so the PC needs to adapt tactics for survival, in a more subtle way than a flow-breaking skill.

akoss

Sep 12, 2015

If you're bored... I had an idea for adding a strapless strapon/double sided dildo as an item. It would be applied sort of like living panties.

• The target would need to be bottomless with a vagina.
  • If the target is standing, they can remove it.
  • Every turn it does arousal damage through vibration
  • It can be inserted like a strapon
  • Both people receive pleasure damage when using it as a strap on
  • It would have to avoid stuff like pussy mods doing extra damage

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
I added my latest report to github. I've never used that site before, so correct me if I did it wrong.

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
The problem with weight it's still ineffeficient, it's good for showing variety in skills but usually the problem with these games isn't variety it's progressively decreased difficulty as players will move to exploit the hell out of AI. Weight is good for build-up but if they're in a dominant position, it should switch to a different weight set, as there are more skills more valuable when combined with others. Just to mention, my favorite long-combo so far is Fire Form + Frottage(cock fetish) + cock/breast growth + Spiral Thrust. On Jewel I can get a 4k arousal overflow in one hit, but some other NPCs are less vulnerable.

Anyways, Jewel's stance skills are an obvious example, if you can tie in stances to force her to use the specialized skills that go with them, you can make her a lot more of a threat as opposed to fodder. I imagine whatever variant of weight you implement, it's gonna be hell individually keying in AI.

Another way of artificially increasing difficulty is making them harder to defeat via numbers, but this is terrible for a lot of reasons.

Hypnotic Semen affects the player too, when touched by enemy futanari semen: Frottage is an amazing skill against futas/males and the right traits, but if you use it late-game with hypnotic semen you'll inadvertantly destroy yourself when the NPCs keep cumming on your dick.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
The AI modifications are not meant to be a cure-all to make the game more difficult. The simple fact of the matter is that AI is terribly complicated. Good AI exponentially more so. The current system is quite sophisticated, though clearly not perfect, and overhauling it would probably only make it worse. Jos, the guy who made most of the AI, did a great job of it and tweaking it is most likely the best any of us can do. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be quite possible to make a more optimal AI, but optimal isn't fun. An optimal AI would follow very predictable patterns: those that are mathematically superior. Skills that are demonstrably worse would never appear, but those skills might have nice texts, or lead to interesting positions. That is the primary purpose of the AI modifications: to allow players to influence what they want to encounter; which is not necessarily the greatest challenge. 

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
Alrighty then.

Can't seem to unlock Reyka at level 10+...

CharredNewt

Aug 28, 2015
I added my latest report to github. I've never used that site before, so correct me if I did it wrong.

Looking good IMO; I'll try and see what easy stuff I can call dibs on, and how to report it. Thanks!

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Pretty much what dndw says. It's possible to make the AI play optimally, but in reality, it'll probably be a pretty boring AI.

Also, machine learned AIs usually zones into a repeatable local maxima, where they do stuff like spam low kick repeatedly in fighting games.

I already overhauled the AI once when doing my mod. The original AI was even more random than the current one and pretty much only uses a few skills. Right now, there is a bug with the AI, and it's causing certain situations to come up much more often than it should. I'll fix this some time, but debugging the AI is a pain in the ass, and I really don't have the motivation to do it right now (like I said, kind of busy lately).

If I wanted to upgrade the AI, I do agree that a few turn lookahead would make the AI a lot more interesting. The main problem with that is performance. For better or for worse, the code is what it is, and in order to do 2-3 turn lookaheads with the current codebase, I'm willing to bet it'll take 3-5 seconds per turn for the AI to decide what to do. Right now, each skills is non-deterministic, and doing a min-max search of the game tree would be pretty slow, especially with the current implementation of the game state where the entire combat is cloned every step.

I'm willing to bet that a monte carlo tree search would give better performance and results, but it still really boils down to writing better heuristics.

ANYWAYS, I guess what I'm saying is this mod is a hobby, and I can't be arsed to be do a huge game mechanic overhaul right now. Especially if it's actually non-trivial :p It's supposed to be a break from work, not work itself!

As for difficulty, I'm not really sure what to do here. Honestly the AI weights I thought was supposed to provide flavor, not difficulty. The AI is going to do what it does, but I guess part of the problem with the AI now is that it doesn't really take willpower into account as much as it should. Also, it doesn't check the end turn results. I'll try to work that into the next build so at the very least the AI favors lowering your will power a bit more. However I'm a bit afraid that it will just disregard arousal. Ergh.

There will probably always be a few player exploits that you can do that will trivialize the AI. This happens in a lot of games to be honest, so I'm not too upset about it. That said, spiral thrust is pretty silly right now, what would you say is a good way to nerf it further? I don't want to hurt the early game potential too hard, but the late game pleasure damage is a bit ridiculous. For now I think I'll make the lethargic debuff you get from it last 30 turns, and make it last outside of combat, so there's a real downside for using it as a certain kill move.

Edit: I did fix the hypnotic semen bug though just now.

Vintrion

Sep 15, 2015
I don't blame you or anything, I just like saying shit without having the technical skill to back it up; which is why I backed off so easily. >_> There's not a lot of people left that take me seriously these days...

You also need to have the "improved black market", which means inquiring about Exotic Artifacts. She should pop up then.

Well that explains things, I always ignored black market because all it had was junk.

EDIT: I am 'enjoying' how often I break my saves by attempting 'fix' NPCs by giving them huge/massive dicks.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
No need to apologize either, as always I want to be as open to ideas as possible :)

There are just some things that aren't really possible in the time frame that I have to develop

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
If you want the AI to appear to plan ahead a few turns, a lookahead algorithm is probably not the most practical way to handle it. An easier and probably more effective way to accomplish the same effect would be to add some human-scripted attack patterns. For example, the most common complaint I've received since adding strapons is that the AI cannot reliably handle the 3-4 steps required to initiate pegging. An attack pattern could be created to use Throw Lubricant -> Strapon -> Maneuver -> AssFuck. You'd want to check for some initial conditions before starting the pattern, such as self is not prone, self has the required items and target is nude. You'd also want to abort the pattern immediately if the next skill in the sequence cannot be used, because that would likely indicate that a previous skill missed, or the target did something to interrupt.

Implementation would be pretty straightforward and making maybe a half-dozen character specific attack patterns could make the NPC AI more interesting. I'm tempted to write it myself, but if I jump back into AI work right now, I'm never going to finish these damn scenes. If no one else is interested in picking up this idea, I'll probably look at it again down the road.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
But where do you draw the line? I've tried making something like this a while ago, around the time Jos made his contribution, and I found that when I only had a few such patterns the effects were negligible, and when I added more the game would become too predictable. I tried adding all sorts of randomization: a roll to abandon a pattern,  a roll to switch to a different one, different options per stage of the pattern, but none of them really helped. 

Not to pat myself on the back, but the AI modifications are useful in this regard. Like getting pegged? Give the requisite skills a boost. They'll be more common, but not necessarily follow each other. I find that, with the current defaults, Jewel is very (perhaps too)  likely to peg the player. Of course, the fact that lubrication is implicit in the mod helps in that regard. 

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but a subtle approach would probably work best. Don't make the patterns absolute; always leave in some randomness. Specifying multiple paths to the same goal would also work well, especially if the AI can switch paths at certain points. Clearly, the system gets more complicated with every sentence, but as mentioned earlier: AI is hard.

Here's another idea: instead of linear (branching) patterns, how about 'skill clouds'? Groups of skills that fit well together. Then again, that may already exist to a degree in the emotion system. 

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
My inclination would be to make the patterns purely linear, only have a handful total, and make them rarely occur. The purpose is to spice up the existing system rather than replace it, so if you go an entire match and never have a pattern finish, no harm done. If the player notices a pattern starting and reacts to counter it, we've added a new strategic option without much effort. If the pattern finishes and the player just assumes the AI is smarter than it is, we've improved immersion.

Even if the change in behavior is fairly minor, it does add several small advantages without any real disadvantages. Is it worth the effort to code? Well, it's not really a priority for me right now, but maybe it will be when I have less on my task list.

rotor

Oct 3, 2015
Because I'm a weirdo, I play both the mod and vanilla night games, and since the normal night games forum topic has been lost to the ether, I thought I'd ask here:

In the vanilla night games, what's the cap on your speed? I know it's some function of your level, but I can't recall what.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
This is a great game,  but is there a chance to see this on android?

Unlikely. That would require redoing (at least) the entire GUI from scratch. Plus, I don't think it will work too well on a small screen, with the large amount of available actions and all.

blegar1

Sep 1, 2015
ok so 2 things first off when you click options and you can do female vs male preference and move the slider what does that do? cause i have not seen any changes. also you might want to under power angel because she is unbeatble for me because i end up getting faced against attacks that do about 50 damage.