Favourite WH40K Faction & General Discussion

What is your favourite WH40K faction?

• Total voters

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Hi guys, as fans of the WH40K and I am sure you guys guys read fanfiction like everybody else and have seen a Warhammer40k fanfic called For Those We Cherish by The Crimson Lord at some point, where the main characters are the Lamenters Chapter currently on their penitence crusade after escaping Hive Fleet Kraken.

The question that I am asking, how much can a Battle Barge-specifically the kind used for Chapter Fortress Monasteries like the Eternal Crusader, which we know is significantly larger than the standard- hold? By that I mean, I am aware that there are probably hundreds of Space Marines on the Chapter Fortress Monastery alone, by that I mean how much can they fit lets say Guard Regiments including Guardsman mechanized infantry assets, Rough Riders, Imperial Knights, and if the Emperor wills it Titans in their Battle Barges?

This is for a fic I have long once thought would not be feasible, since I tried to hard. The main characters are the Blood Ravens with Commander Hair-gel or Aramus now First Captain of the Blood Ravens along with his cast and Avitus alive and not a filthy traitor, it was some other unimportant Blood Raven, with Gabriel Angelos as the ChapterMaster and Diomedes the Chaplain and Jonah Orion as the Librarian.

This will be a crossover fic, and the Blood Ravens, similar to the Black Dragons (who sent NINE COMPANIES?!) dedicated seven or eight companies of Space Marines in the defence of Cadia before it got blown up, and the unfortunate ships that sucked in our Space Marines heroes consists of the Chapter Fortress Monastery Battle Barge the Omnis Arcanum, and three Strike Cruisers.

From those four ships, not counting the chapter serfs and servitors. How much personnel can they hold?

Last edited:

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
So the question is: How much can a Battle Barge and Three Strike Cruisers hold? In terms of Space Marines, vehicles, etc?

Well, a Battle Barge is roughly equivalent to a Battleship of the Imperial Navy, with a number of changes. I would say it could probably hold around three full companies of Space Marines, their vehicles, gear, drop pods, ships, etc. Maybe four in a pinch if they really needed to pack it in. The problem is not how many space marines they can have in them, they could probably have way more than three hundred, the problem is the required cargo bays for all of their equipment, war-gear, vehicles, and not to mention places where Dreadnoughts and Terminator Armor can be stored and cared for.

As for Strike Cruisers? I would guess about only one Space Marine company per Cruiser. Again it isn't the problem of holding the Space Marines themselves, but rather all of the war-gear etc that they need.

So, you could probably get away with about 5 companies of Space Marines, or about half the Chapter, with a Battle Barge and three Strike Cruisers, but only just. 4 companies would be optimal. You could add more than 500 Space Marines, but any extra would probably be lacking in proper gear and equipment. Just my thoughts and estimates. Also, Commander Hair-Gel, hahaha. That gave me a good laugh.

Reactions: Eldritch and Endwar

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Only aren't Battle Barge's like top tier tech and can usually kick the shit out of normal Imperial ships? Remember that during the 30k century crusades whole massive armies of Space Marines were moved via fleets of battle barges.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Only aren't Battle Barge's like top tier tech and can usually kick the shit out of normal Imperial ships? Remember that during the 30k century crusades whole massive armies of Space Marines were moved via fleets of battle barges.

Battle Barges are essentially just Imperial Navy Battleships, but reconfigured for low orbit bombardments and close range fighting/boarding. They are all about supporting Space Marines, so a number of things inside the ships have been changed, like more launch bays for assault craft and drop pods, more storage space for weapons and armor, etc.

Reactions: Endwar

moobere

May 19, 2017
I just remember when i was younger i really liked the design of the chaos space marines and just fell in love with the designs other than that cant say haven't kept up with the franchise in a VERY long time

Reactions: RanmaChan

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@RanmaChan @Candycane @Ethereal Dragon

Hmmm, I see. A rough estimation, but the picture is getting clearer. I can easily see the Battle Barge capable of holding three full companies (if they're lucky) of Space Marines including arms and munitions. How about Guardsman equipment or forges for units like Knights or Titans.

The idea came from both the Freeblade mobile game; where you play the titular Freeblade tagging along the Dark Angels in their Battle Barge (or was it a Strike Cruiser?), and The Crimson Lord's fic where the Lamenters who are barely holding on with just 300 Space Marines and their Battle Barge 'The Blood of Martyrs', they make up their fighting capability by having Guardsman Regiments and Rough Riders under their command, even when they aren't supposed to as the Codex dictates.

This would to my next conundrum how many Knights can a Space Marine Battle Barge could fit; a full team (around 4 or 5), or maybe one or two Freeblades. Another is can a Strike Cruiser or Battle Barge fit one Warlord Titan?

Oh, I cant believe I almost forgot! How rare or widespread are Mechanicus Forgeships? Are they plentiful? or are they in limited numbers? Cause depending on the answer, I might replace one Strike Cruiser entirely with a Mechanicus Forge ship, just so that I can have a Titan in my fic.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
I think around 4 or 5 Knights sounds about right. Course, they would then probably lose out on other things like Land-speeders or other vehicles. Actually, wait. Are Knights even transported by Space Marine chapters? I don't know this one.

Titans require specialized Collegia Titanicus/Mechanicus ships to transport them around. You can't fit them into Strike Cruisers for sure, and Battle Barges would need to be heavily modified. I don't think it is ever done to be honest.

As for Mechanicus forces, it is hard to say considering not a lot is ever really written about them. They are absolutely necessary for everything in the Imperium to run, and yet so little is actually known about their actual forces. I would say that their Explorator Fleets and Forge Ships are uncommon, to rare.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@RanmaChan

I dont know about a battalion of House Knights, but I think Freeblades do, I remembered in one web page in the Damocles Gulf with the Raven Guard and White Scars having a campaign there; led by Kayvann Shrike and Kor'ssaro Khan against the Tau forces led by Shadow Sun. I don't know how the Freeblade Obsidian Knight was transported, I could only guess that it was either commissioned by the current local official of the time or actually transported via the Space Marines.

Of course I am only guessing as the article didn't specificaly say only that when Freeblade Obsidian Knight fell in battle, morale dropped dismally, so it speaks immensely of their notoriety; and the Space Marines were forced to retreat, at least not without spilling Tau blood along the way, including Shadow Sun having a permanent target on her back and is now relentlessly pursued by Kor'ssaro Khan and the White Scars.

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Dropping back in to say how proud I am of all my Imperial battle brothers and sisters.

Shiet+adeptus+sororitus+a+best+_d9ce04dd4f99f42e44697f677ddb5c55.png

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
@Endwar I think the Knights are transported by their own organization, or their household or something like that. Or possibly by some extension of the Ad Mech, or the Collegia. I don't think the Space Marines transport them around normally, but by their size I think they would probably be able to fit into Thunderhawk bays, or modified cargo bays.

@Candycane Damn you Imperial dog! :p
@Night Trap Curse you and your vote for the Sisters of Battle, all you have done is put the Imperials further into the lead! :'(

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
@RanmaChan
Behold the dance of Imperial Superiority!
HaUgST9.gif

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Well well well...

The long anticipated 8th Edition of Warhammer 40k is upon us, and looks like the Death Guard are taking the villain stage, alongside the long-awaited reveal of the new genearation of Space Marines

The Primaris Space Marines in The Dark Imperium

Guilliman's crusade is now going full force, and while we have seen Primarchs occasionally coming back to the Materium with Magnus, Fulgrim, and Angron having their go and Vulkan for that one time in the War of the Beast however brief.

Here we are now... a son of the Emperor now awaken to fully pledge his zeal in leading the Imperium's forces in his father's stead. He has caused great change in the galaxy (Tzeentch is the only one happy because of this, the indecisive asshole), with his deeds alone after waking from stasis. It would seem now, that with the Indomitus Crusade now commited, Mortarion seems to be on the horizon to oppose Guilliman.

Who else and which Primarch think we will see next return to the Imperium. The Lion? Jagathai Khan? Rogal Dorn? Corax? Vulkan after the Salamanders find all the artifacts in time? Leman Russ from the warp? or maybe even Ferrus Manus whose head regrew from the Necrodermis that coats his hands turning him even less human to his despair and further poisoning the doom of the Iron Hands

Mayhaps...against all odds...could even Sanguinius return from the dead...?

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
@Endwar @SarenSoran
Whelp, I actually went and did it. I hope you guys like it, as you two are the only people who have expressed interest in my writing these, lol.
Fair warning, I couldn't really figure out how to do the ending, or how I wanted it to be, so I am unsure of it myself. Let me know what you think, I might even go back and change it if I end up feeling like that is warranted.
Anyways, fair warning to people interested in reading: This contains blood, gore, and shooting people. It has no smut in it whatsoever.
Also another warning, I did no editing or anything, so it will be very rough, lol.

Last edited:

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Ooooh gimme gimme gimme.

BTW, sorry for being silent for a good few days, writing for your thesis is just a pain!

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@RanmaChan After reading this:

Muahahaha, this is just delicious! Awesome writing, I can never get that feeling of how a soldier would obey or disobey his commanding officer, this just became a treat for me as a reference point for soldier behavior. Bravo!

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
I don't play, but I am quite well-versed in the lore. And though I don't have a favorite faction, one of my favorite tales is that of The Lamenters. They are one of the few true beacons of hope in a dark, merciless universe. One can only hope their light does not fade forever.

Last edited:

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
@RanmaChan After reading this:

Muahahaha, this is just delicious! Awesome writing, I can never get that feeling of how a soldier would obey or disobey his commanding officer, this just became a treat for me as a reference point for soldier behavior. Bravo!

Thanks! I am glad that you liked it. What do you think about the ending? I am still unsure about it. I left it a bit open, but maybe I should have brought it to a more brutal close?

I don't play, but I am quite well-versed in the lore. And though I don't have a favorite faction, one of my favorite tales is that of The Lamenters. They are one of the few true beacons of hope in a dark, merciless universe. One can only hope their light does not fade forever.

Aw... Yeah, the poor Lamenters... Will they ever catch a break? The Emperor's Tarot points to... Nope!

Last edited:

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Which really sucks! I hope Robby Girlyman's reinforcement will include the Lamenters cause these guys cant catch a break.

@RanmaChan
As for ending, its more of a personal preference that I prefer a more definite end, than an end that leaves open to interpretation. A sense of closure I guess.

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
@RanmaChan i love it man, they definitely didn't know what was coming for them, poor alliance forces ^^
btw are they really that low in numbers that a few thousand soldiers dwarfes the troops of multiple planets?

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
What's that you say? You want a mega crossover? Here you go.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Holy shit... I was checking up on the aforementioned story (the one I mentioned, not Captain Shitpost over there), and I learned of something that can only be described as "murder incarnate": The Rak'Gol.

Last edited:

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
@RanmaChan
As for ending, its more of a personal preference that I prefer a more definite end, than an end that leaves open to interpretation. A sense of closure I guess.

I suppose I left it open cause I didn't know if I wanted to continue it or not. That and I kinda grew to like Marcas, despite how utterly doomed he was. I probably should have ended it with a las-bolt to the head like I had originally intended. No one would read the bloody thing and give me feedback on what I should do though, so I went with this. Oh well.

@RanmaChan i love it man, they definitely didn't know what was coming for them, poor alliance forces ^^
btw are they really that low in numbers that a few thousand soldiers dwarfes the troops of multiple planets?

From what I have read on the wikia, the Systems Alliance has very small numbers of soldiers actually located on their planets. Most are kept on transport ships with the main naval forces located at Mass Relays, so that they can respond swiftly and with overwhelming force, where ever they need to be. Actually, very very little is actually written about ground forces at all, how they are trained, where they are stationed/garrisoned, so I made pretty much most of that whole Fort stuff up, lol.

I am really glad you enjoyed it!

@Endwar @SarenSoran Did you guys have any favorite parts?

Also, Endwar, what did you mean by:
I can never get that feeling of how a soldier would obey or disobey his commanding officer, this just became a treat for me as a reference point for soldier behavior.
I don't quite understand.

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
No, not really any favorite parts, I just found it overall amusing, as in, I had a evil grin here and a chuckle elsewhere. It's always a delight to read good crossovers (that i like).

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@RanmaChan Ignore that part, I basically wrote that while I was exhausted and half-asleep.

A quick thought just occurred to me, I have seen plenty of VS debates from SpaceBattles from Stormtroopers vs Guardsman, to Emperor vs Palps. I remembered something intriguing from All-Stars Superman (both the animated and the comic); we all know that Superman has a specific set of weaknesses being kryptonite and red sun radiation, what about the one mentioned in the All-Stars series 'gravity'? It was explained that much like how man is restricted by gravity Superman can be affected and be reduced to human levels by increasing the gravity of the target to human levels or outright killing them.

So my thought is, does that mean its possible to effectively and permanently ground and weaken Superman by blasting him with the Grav Guns and Grav Cannons?

Last edited:

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
So my thought is, does that mean its possible to effectively and permanently ground and weaken Superman by blasting him with the Grav Guns and Grav Cannons?
I don't know right now how they work but when it raises gravity, like the name suggests, and sups is weak against it.... I guess :confused:
and from the spacebattles i don't know the exact limits of palpatine but nothing i've seen in starwars is even close to the God emperor when it comes down to destructive force and the stormtroopers might or might not win in one on ones, but not in army battles where it comes down to numbers

SarenSoran

Apr 18, 2017
Austria
Boy, i just read the entry of the siege of vraks in the warhammer 40 k wiki o_O
That is one giant clusterfuck of death thats going on there :confused:
And it's not even finished, according to the wiki, what with the Chaos Space Marines joining in now

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Boy, i just read the entry of the siege of vraks in the warhammer 40 k wiki o_O
That is one giant clusterfuck of death thats going on there :confused:
And it's not even finished, according to the wiki, what with the Chaos Space Marines joining in now

You have to love the Death Korps of Krieg. I mean, they are one of my most favorite regiments, next to regiments that were fleshed out and given novels, like the Tanith, and the Valhallans. If the Kriegsmen were given their own novel or series of novels, I am pretty sure they would rise to the top of my list. Well, actually, it would probably depend on how well it was written. If they picked an author like C.S Goto, God-Emperor help us all.

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Oh yeah, I've been wondering actually I know the reason for a majority of the Warhammer 40k community really not liking ADB, but what about C.S Goto though? What's the beef around the author?