Favourite WH40K Faction & General Discussion

What is your favourite WH40K faction?

• Total voters

Khorne

Apr 3, 2016
New Jersey
Yeah this theory is mostly wishful thinking. With Vulcan though I think he might come sooner because five out of the nine relics have already been found with three in the Salamander regents possession and the other two are in the home fortress, so it possible that Vulcan come back earlier then expected. I also agree that the traitor Primarchs will try and beat each other to Guillaume first but if more loyalist Primarchs start returning then they might have to work together to kill the Primarchs. I think it would be just bad ass is Jagathai Khan just walks out of a dark Eldar webway chasing dark Eldar who are trying to run from him and then he just shoves his boot straight up their ass.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Hey, they brought back Guilliman from the dead, essentially, with little to no explanation on it that I can find. Why not just straight up resurrect Saguinius through the power of 'because GW needs more money'?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
What gets me is that it was Guilliman they brought back. Guilliman who had his throat slashed with a poisoned blade and popped into a stasis bubble for 10,000 years. A stasis bubble where time has stopped...

I mean, there were other Primarchs they could have brought back. The Lion could have woken up from that epic nap and reunited his Legion (because the Dark Angels never really split) for a Crusade. Leman Russ could have flown out of the Eye of Terror like a bat out of hell. Jaghatai Khan could have burst out of the Webway with Dark Eldar or Harlequins hanging off him in a futile attempt to stop him moving. Corax could come out his Edgar Allen Poe phase and do his impression of Solid Snake.

But they bring back Guilliman in such a way that breaks the suspension of disbelief, even for 40K. I mean, I'm not going to crap all over it, its just a strange way to go about advancing a story that hasn't budged in 20+ years.

Anyway, my favourite factions are Dark Angels, Imperial Guard and Evil Batmen...I mean Night Lords.

Reactions: RanmaChan

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I still remember when the generic Codex Space Marines was Codex Ultramarines (going back to the tail end of 2nd edition). They've always had a hard on for the Smurfs.

The only thing I like from this is the mental image of Guilliman waking up, looking at the state of the Imperium and going "What the hell did you guys do?! What is wrong with all of you?!"

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Pretty much, also due to the size of the minis being Smurf sized.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Yeah Ultramarines are called smurfs to make fun of them I think. I mean pretty much every successive chapter ever made is made using Ultramarine Gene-Seed than another other heresy/pre-heresy chapters.

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
I find myself drawn back to this thread after having re-downloaded Dawn of War 1 and messing around with the UA mod for like 2 weeks straight.

Boy is that a good videogame.

Nothing quite like watching a Necron Monolith slowly float menacingly toward an unsuspecting victim, ready to be pulverised to dust and drowned in robot skeletons. At least that's what I thought before installing the mod and discovering the joy that is having MANY Monoliths. Nothing says fun quite like floating robot skeleton fortresses of doom.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I find myself drawn back to this thread after having re-downloaded Dawn of War 1 and messing around with the UA mod for like 2 weeks straight.

Boy is that a good videogame.

Nothing quite like watching a Necron Monolith slowly float menacingly toward an unsuspecting victim, ready to be pulverised to dust and drowned in robot skeletons. At least that's what I thought before installing the mod and discovering the joy that is having MANY Monoliths. Nothing says fun quite like floating robot skeleton fortresses of doom.

HEH, I remember playing that game of course... out of all the added factions in the expansion packs I became quite proficient in the use of the Tau. Out of all the enemies I face the longest games were against the Necrons, just trying to secure the strategic points was tough but once I managed to set up choke points it became a matter of just building up resources game to build and upgrade an army large enough to go stomp out the Necrons. During that time I got raided a lot and had to just fight off wave after wave of necron attacks, especially if the necron champion showed up. Often times during a match when I thought I had eliminated them I discovered one of their builder units managed to not be at the base during my attack forcing me to go search for it and discovering a newly building base which began the cycle again for a time.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Space Marines had the absolutely cheesiest way to win in the first game.
You had to have researched the third tier and have captured a relic.
Create a scout squad with stealth, send them near the enemy base. Fill up the vehicle quota with Dreadnoughts. Create all the terminator units you can and get them into the teleporter. Then, send the Dreadnoughts off to stomp the base. And get the scouts into the base and teleport the Terminators in the base.
Watch the mayhem unfold.

Usually the casualties amounted to a squad of scouts.

Fun times.

Reactions: Freed85

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Dawn of War was an amazing game. The only thing that could have made it better was a fully fleshed out Tyranid faction as an expansion like the Tau, Necron, Sisters, etc all had. But then again, I am biased.

skinwants

Aug 6, 2017
Now we know that Imperial Guard & Chaos Daemons will be in the game soon or later on (answer from Alberto (Slitherine team) "the developers from Straylight Studio have mentioned the ambition to expand.

I know that's probably impossible to create them all (especially when you don't have any datas for them (figurines or even an artwork)), but it could be nice to have some species as let's say a BOSS encounter,Chaos Space marines with voice work so diabolically disturbing it will rip into ones entrails like a rusty saw tearing back and forth back and forth see saw see saw see saw oh the insane euphoria of a trance state.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
Now we know that Imperial Guard & Chaos Daemons will be in the game soon or later on (answer from Alberto (Slitherine team) "the developers from Straylight Studio have mentioned the ambition to expand.

I know that's probably impossible to create them all (especially when you don't have any datas for them (figurines or even an artwork)), but it could be nice to have some species as let's say a BOSS encounter,Chaos Space marines with voice work so diabolically disturbing it will rip into ones entrails like a rusty saw tearing back and forth back and forth see saw see saw see saw oh the insane euphoria of a trance state.

Wait, what game are you talking about? Dawn of War 3, or a mod, or something? We were talking about Dawn of War 1

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
Ah DoW 1, still sad I never got to completely finish the story mode. Though at least I have Soulstorm, it's was always fun just crushing all enemies with wave after wave of barracudas, battle suits, and loads of plasma fire with a pathfinder squad or 2 so the blind firewarriors have some defense against cloaked units.

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
Dawn of War was an amazing game. The only thing that could have made it better was a fully fleshed out Tyranid faction as an expansion like the Tau, Necron, Sisters, etc all had. But then again, I am biased.
If you weren't already aware, the Ultimate Apocalypse mod I mentioned adds Tyranids as a fully fleshed out race, along with the Inquisition/Grey Knights and Chaos Daemons. I highly recommend checking out if you've played DoW 1 but never tried the mod. It's pretty decent.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
If you weren't already aware, the Ultimate Apocalypse mod I mentioned adds Tyranids as a fully fleshed out race, along with the Inquisition/Grey Knights and Chaos Daemons. I highly recommend checking out if you've played DoW 1 but never tried the mod. It's pretty decent.

But it is only for Skirmish battles, right? There isn't any sort of campaign built around them?

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
But it is only for Skirmish battles, right? There isn't any sort of campaign built around them?
Sadly it is only for skirmish and online skirmishes. Regrettably, a campaign for UA is fairly low on the mod team's priority list as far as I'm aware. However, the effort put into the units themselves makes up for it in my eyes. They look pretty great in motion and the core theme of Nids (swarmswarmswarmswarmswarm) is nailed pretty spot on.

Garn

May 30, 2016
My reasoning for it been Gulliman is simple: Tactics and charisma. The Imperium greatest threat is its own internal disputes. Gulliman is universally respected within the Imperium where other Primarches were not. There has were competitions and nigh on blood duels between the other primarchs which bleed over to their legions; Gulliman and the Ultra Marines largely stayed above the bickering. The dude also wrote most of the Tactica Imperials and is considered the greatest overall strategist of the Primarchs; by having him been injured and recouping Gamesworkshop gets a unifying figure for the Imperium which they desperately need, which importantly doesn't alter the state of the game to badly (since the dude is injured) while allowing them to shape the state of the narrative (unifying tactical competent leadership for the Imperium).

That's my take on it anyway. Not that it really matters unless they change the fluff for the Tyranid sometime soon the entire affair is pointless.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Ah, but there's enough ambiguity in the background to make people wonder did Guilliman stay above the rivalry between his brothers, or did he stay out of the way so that he wouldn't get drawn into their conflicts and leaving him with the largest force at his back. Especially after the Heresy when he "stepped", especially when you consider that 3/4 of the current 1000 or so Chapters are derived from Ultramarine stock.

Guilliman was never the Primarch that really stood out. He wasn't the first-found like Horus. He wasn't the most loved by everyone like Sanguinius was and that was taking into account that he was mutant. He wasn't the tactician like the Lion nor the master of combat like Leman Russ, nor could he get the kind of victories those who could achieve when they worked together. He was good at logistics and that was about it.

The beauty of 40K is that there's often enough ambiguity to allow for these kinds of questions, even with the current batch of novels. Was Guilliman a good a leader and marshalled his forces to survive or was he someone who felt overshadowed and kept to the sidelines so he could step in and take over.

Garn

May 30, 2016
My understanding was that Gulliman was the best strategist and politician among the Primarches. So while having Leman around the punch greater demons in the face or having the Lion around to win battles would be useful, its not as important as winning the War as a whole which is Gullimans strong point. As for the ambiguity thing I acknowledge that while it is possible, it just doesn't really gel for me; the legions are meant to be reflections of their Primarches and this isn't the sort of thing we see among the Ultramarines, their honorable, loyal and devoted soldiers; not backstabbing assholes like the Nighlords or Alpha Legion (although I pray they keep the whole thing with the Alpha Legion possibly still secretly serving the Imperium thing, that was cool.)

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
From my understanding each Primarch had a different mutation due to the chaos gods transporting the infant primarchs around the galaxy to stem the Emperors plans. Each one of them are strong in something while weak in another, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Which I think is one of the ways the creators of WH40K bring the primarch's closer to the mortal humans population.

Flash Dingo

Oct 8, 2016
Da Owks!

In a universe so eternally shitty, dark, and depressing... I've got to side with the comedic relief. If it weren't for the Orks, the whole WH40K universe would just be too much. And I mean too much in the Warner Bros, "Our DC movies must be dark and gritty!" too much.

After them, Battle Sisters and Eldar are kind of tied.

Third is Necrons, because thematically, they're more horrifying than the Zerg rush.

Aug 13, 2017
For the Emperor! I like the whole of the Imperium and it's kind of hard to choose which one I like best. The Inquisition has always interested me a huge amount, Malleus being my favorite with Xenos coming in second. Love the Eisenhorn Trilogy of Books and bought a bunch of the Inquisitor 54mm models when they came out. Think I've played way more game of Inquisitor in 28mm though. My actual Army I use in 40k has elements of Inquisition , Space Marines, and Imperial Guard in it (probably going to add Mechanicus at some point and would add Sisters of Battle if they came out with Plastics or em).

Gotta love all of 40k though Orks are crazy soccer hooligans, Eldar (both), Necrons, Tyranids (my second fav), etc. My largest army is by far the Imperium but I have an odd assortment of other miniatures from the other armies. Usually when I have money and something looks to cool to pass up even if I don't even play the army.

Also love the various video games and have been playing them since Chaos Gate back on the PC. Space Marine was fun, Dawn of War 1 & 2 (have yet to play 3) as well. Also love me some Fantasy Warhammer.

Aug 13, 2017
Anything touched by Sega these days has an 85% chance of being garbage.
Hmm I may have to give it a pass then. May grab it if it's ever on a Steam Sale for real Cheap though. I know it's a 40k Topic, but has anyone tried Total War: Warhammer or Man O' War: Corsair. Both look like they could be fun. One for Massive Army Battles and the Other for Ship to Ship combat. Always had a lot of fun with Sid Meyer's Pirates back in the day and have sometimes tried looking for similar games.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Played TW:Warhammer, though just barely, I need to replace my laptop anyway. Good game and the campaign system certainly throws out some interesting challenges depending on your race. Looking forward to the next game coming later this year.

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
Hmm I may have to give it a pass then. May grab it if it's ever on a Steam Sale for real Cheap though. I know it's a 40k Topic, but has anyone tried Total War: Warhammer or Man O' War: Corsair. Both look like they could be fun. One for Massive Army Battles and the Other for Ship to Ship combat. Always had a lot of fun with Sid Meyer's Pirates back in the day and have sometimes tried looking for similar games.

Total War: Warhammer is pretty well done and really shines when you add all the DLC factions and free content every faction has their own quirks that make them unique, as well as story quests to somewhat guide you toward the end. While lords play similar to a character in a RPG being a single unit with skill trees each with their own strengths and weaknesses some are mages of some sort where others are unstoppable tanks of death. As for general combat its Total War through and through just with flying units, monsters of all sorts, a freaking Steam Tank for the Empire, and all kinds of other fantasy goodness thrown in.

Apparently the grand plan with the Total War: Warhammer games is once all 3 games are fully released they will basically put all 3 maps together, with all the factions, and let ultimate grand campaign begin!