Conquest of Shadows (For DaBomb)

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash studies the map for a few moments before nodding.  "Then I will leave at the earliest convenience.  If you require noting else, I'm going to leave immediately." She states, standing up. If Kari truly had nothing else of her, Ash would leave the tavern and make her way to the destination she studied.  She'd  walk on the King's Road, keeping her eye on any trouble that she'd meet on her way.  

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You exit the village stealthily without incident. From the wary looks people give you, they are more than pleased to see the back of you. You head south towards Elendel at a brisk pace, keeping an eye out for bandits and other suspicious activity.

(Insight roll: 12 + 4 vs. 7 + 3.)

A shadow darting behind a tree off the side of the road causes you to assume a stance of readiness. Whoever it is, they certainly know how to hide themselves. If you hadn't been on the lookout, you could have easily missed them... Then again, this hide-and-seek routine seems very familiar to you.

"I thought I might pay you back and get the drop on you this time, but I can see that you've already spotted me. You're going to hurt my pride as a huntsman if you keep this up."

You recognize the wolfmorph Cart's gruff voice. The lean hunter slinks out from the undergrowth with a lithe grace that few humans could match... Luckily your senses are a little more fine-tuned than the average human.

"Mind telling me your secret? Or is woodcraft something that comes naturally to all demons?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash smiled once she realized it was her friend that she had met earlier when she discovered the village. "Well, where I grew up, you had to constantly be on the lookout for those in the shadows, or you die with  a dagger in your back." She said flatly, lowering her combat stance.  "Mind telling me why you're following me?  I don't recall asking for you to accompany me."  She said a bit bluntly, crossing her arms.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"What, a wolfmorph can't take a quiet walk by himself in the forest? I was just minding my own business, when I just happened to see you on the road."

Looking at your stern expression, his feined innocence evaporates into a sheepish smile. "Alright, so I was following you. But am I really the one who should on trial here? But you know, these roads can be a little dangerous. Bandits, my more animalistic realives... And more recently, thieves."

Cart's eyes glint mischieviously as he snatches up a stalk of grass and sets it between his teeth at a jaunty angle. "Mighty terrible thing, Gibbens getting robbed last night. Someone daring enough to lift a rock from the Northern Trading Company must be a pretty tough customer. I couldn't forgive myself letting a pretty thing like yourself travel alone with such a villain on the loose."

Before you can respond, he interjects in a more serious tone. "Of course, this isn't completely out of the goodness of my heart... I'm always keeping an ear out for independent business ventures. I'm a pretty good judge of character, and you strike me as someone who isn't afraid of taking a few risks.... When the chips are down, you need all the friends you can get."

His tone and expression are far from subtle. Cart has suspicions about your intentions for the fair village of Tencrest... At least he seems more inclined to get a slice of the proverbial pie, rather than turn you in.... For now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash let out a bit of a sigh as she quickly realized Cart's intentions. Frowning, she paused for a few moments before taking a deep breath.  "So, what do you want out of this?  I'm assuming you're offering to guide me to the town, but I know you won't do it for free.  Then, what's your price?"  Ash kept her hands across her chest, and her eyes to the wolf.  She knew that the slightest movement could give a way information of where the jewel was, and she knew that if this hunter was that sneaky, he had to be a good pick pocket as well. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart idly scratches his ear. "Well now, I'm not talking about payments in hard coin. I'm a wolf of complex sensibilities. Relationships founded on gold melt away, but trust? That's a foundation that doesn't crumble.

"I woke up this morning to find Kari running about town like she just got a new lease on life. Strange how she rubs shoulders... Or other parts with you, and suddenly feels like the world her her oyster. That sort of hope doesn't come easy to a subhuman, especially in a kingdom like this one... I can't help but wonder if you're the cause."

Cart raises his hands in a nonthreatening manner. "I'm curious more than anything. There's something different about you. If you just get kicks out of robbing upperclass humans, then power to you... But something tells me you're more than a simple conwoman."

He gives you a bright smile. "You don't have to make any promises to me. Why don't I help you as a sort of trial run. A show of good faith. Once I show how useful I can be, maybe then you'll let me in on your little secret."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash raised an eyebrow at the wolf's request.  No gold?  Free trial?  Ash knew that nothing in the world was free, he had to have something up his sleeve.  There had to be something he wasn't sharing, then again...  "Fine, Cart.  I'll let you accompany me and protect me during my travel, if you do a good enough job, I guess i'll share some information with you." She promises, turning to continue walking down the path.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart falls into step behind you. "Sure thing, bossman-erm... Lady boss. We'll get to Elendel no problem."

Cart is all smiles and jokes, clearly happy having gotten his way. He is far from a complacent guide though, showing you detours here and there that circumvent various obstacles. His eyes and ears are constantly moving, taking in your surroundings and his hand is always firmly placed on the hilt of his knife.

A few hours of travel places you at the top of a shallow hill. Some distance away you spot the curling trail of smoke that betrays the existence of a campfire. A closer look reveals signs of an encampment. Rough-looking characters mill about, cooking and bathing in a nearby stream. If you had to guess, you'd put their numbers at a dozen or so and, judging by the glint of metal at their belts, they appear well armed.

Cart has spotted them too. "Looks like the bandits we've been hearing about... Idiots haven't even posted a sentry. It's a wonder they've managed to rob anyone at all." He shakes his head pityingly. "Shouldn't be too hard to work our way around this lot... Of course it's your call, boss. We can take another route if you like."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash debated whether they should rob the bandits for a few seconds, before shaking her head.  "I'd prefer to leave them be for the time being.  We're carrying way too precious cargo for us to take that risk. Besides, I promised Kari i'd return." Ash states flatly, awaiting Cart to guide them away. Maybe she'd come back one day... maybe.  But as for know, she didn't want to leave Kari as a broke, single mother.  That would be the ultimate dick move.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Fair enough. This way."

Cart takes you off the road, guiding you through the tall grass and helping you over the gurgling stream. It all goes very smoothly until you hear a rustling to your left.

(Insight check: 9+4. Success!)

Your keen ears pick up the tell-tale signs of human footsteps and you swivel your head in its direction. Cart picks up on your movement and crouches, knife drawn.

The underbrush parts and a young human man carrying a bucket meanders down to the water. There is an almost comical moment of unawareness before he realizes your presence and his eyes widen, mouth open and ready to cry out.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash attempts to tackle the person and silence them, through whatever means possible.  (Sorry for short post.   Couldn't really think of anything else to say.)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Lol it's fine. Tackling someone doesn't merit a novel.)

(Speed contest: 9 + 1 vs. 10 - 2. Success!)

Splashing through the stream, you close the distance between you and your quarry. He seems more surprised than anything. Hopefully, he'll stay like that before thinking to call for help.

"HEY THERE's-Mrrmmmpph!"

You slam into the man, bearing him to the ground. You wince as he yells into your ear and wrap an arm around his jaw. His teeth click shut and the shouting is muffled. One repurposed sock later, and you've effectively gagged the incompetent bandit.

By this time, Cart has jogged over. "Jeez boss, guess you're not above getting your hands dirty. My mistake, I should have saw him coming. What's the plan? We leave him tied up. Of course, if we're not feeling chancy, we could always... Well you know."

Your captive starts squirming with renewed vigor as Cart idly tests the edge of his knife with a claw tip.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash stares at the bound man or a few seconds before slowly shaking her head.  "Nah, I don't think we have to kill him.  He looks like a smart man.  I mean, it doesn't take too much genius to know that if one would keep their mouth shut and let a certain group walk through this path without any trouble, they'd b able to keep their lives." She says, looking toward the bandit.  "But, if one was to reveal the group's position, their safety wouldn't be guaranteed."  She said nonchalantly, leaning toward the bandit. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The young human looks from your wolf companion and then back to you. It takes a few moment for your words to sink in, but soon he's nodding emphatically. Cart rolls his eyes, clearly not impressed. Still, he sheaths his knife and helps you secure your captive.

"Seems like you've got a merciful streak in you after all, boss. Not a common trend amongst those with your... Heritage. No disrespect meant, of course. Just surprising is all. Certainly lucky for this chump. Ain't that right, sport?"

He playfully ruffles the human youth's hair none-too-gently. The bandit's eyes stay locked on you, as if fearful that you might change your mind.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash removes the bandit's bounds and sits him up.  "Alright, now we're going to walk away and I expect nothing to follow me, alright?" She restates, giving him a cold stair.  "In fact, don't even move from this spot until we're out of sight, I don't want you to get any funny ideas."  Ash would begin walking toward her destination once more. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Encounter roll: 5)

The young bandit plops down on his rear like a disciplined puppy. He warily watches you depart. It's only until after you lose sight of him that your keen ears pick out a gasp of relief. Hopefully your former victim will obey your instructions and not tell his companions of your passing. Capable as you are, taking on a whole camp of enemies would be a bit beyond your capabilities.

Cart follows behind, dutifully keeping an eye on the road behind you. His precaution turns out to be unnecessary as no followers appear.

The rest of your journey is uneventful. Cart competently guides you to your destination and just as the sun begins to set, you come into sight of Elendel.

You've heard stories of the Fallen City, but you still startle catching sight of it for the first time. Carved from the remains of a toppled tower constructed in anchient times, Elendel's skyline is unusual to say the least. Wooden terraces are propped up among a tumble of immensly sized stone blocks. Unable to move the gigantic masonry with modern techniques, the locals have opted to use them as a sort of unconventional foundation. In the distance the base of the anchient tower still stands erect like a jagged crown. There the local govenor rules, enforcing the king's law.

Cart stops next to you, clawed hands on hips. "Well, there she is. Just about anything you could want will be sold in Elendel... I could take you to see the sights... Or maybe you've got something particular in mind. The craftmen here are pretty famous, the gemcutters especially." The wolfmorph waggles his eyebrows meaningfully.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash rolls her eyes at the mention of gems, seeing how she could tell what the wolf-morph was getting at.  "I don't plan on thieving anytime soon, by the looks of this place, it ill be a lot less likely for me to get away with anything of the sort." She states, walking toward the city.  Along the way she clears her throat to talk.  "You said talented craftsman?  So, could I get someone to make me a staff out of the material I... found?"  She asks, an idea forming in her head.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart considers your question, "Well I s'pose. Plenty people here know a thing about working gems. Best place to start would be the merchant quarter. That's in the upper levels, near the governor's fortress. All sorts of well-to-do sorts that run shops and trade goods... Of course, the lower levels are where we'd find lower prices... And the sort of people who don't ask too many questions about the origin of merchandise."

Cart clearly is in favor of fencing the stone for an easy profit. That certainly would be the most straightforward way of providing Kari with her seed money... Then again, prosperous merchants mean a healthy revenue stream just waiting to be tapped. Who's to say you couldn't recoup your investment by putting the ruby to more... Devious uses?

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash shrugs her shoulders.  She's never been to the place before, she'd think it would be wise to... 'get a feel' to the place before she made any decisions.  "Anyway, I want to sell the gem at the highest price possible, so I expect you to help me with that.  I made a promise to Kari, and if I somehow mess up, i'm pretty sure that would ruin her life." She states, while walking toward the city.  

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart nods amiably.

"No problem, boss. I'll keep my ear to the ground and try to find a buyer. I trust you can keep yourself out of trouble?" Seeing your face, he let's out a nervous chuckle. "Of course, what was I thinking?..."

You part ways with the wolfmorph after passing through the main gate. The guards give Cart more than a few hostile stares, but you don't attract any attention yourself. You are free to move amongst the city's crowded streets and walkways. Your ears are filled with the cries of vendors and the babble of passing townsfolk. Urchins scamper along like packs of piranhas, eager to fleece unwitting marks. Buildings rise up upon rickety assemblages of beams and masonry. The creaking of rusty nails and old timber is a constant backdrop to the city's natural rhythms.

The lower quarters are more crowded. Here the non-citizens scrape a living amongst drab living conditions. People here have a desperate look about them. Not all are animal-morphs, but most are. The liveliest places in these slums are the taverns, packed with an assortment of shady characters all looking for cheap drinks and pleasurable company. A few quiet words with the locals gives you directions to the city's upper levels where more reputable establishments are located.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash walks past the crowded of the unfortunate, her head hung low, her hood blocking her identity.  She knew the hardships these people had experienced but she wasn't here to help them, she was here to make a quick buck.  Quietly thanking those who gave directions, she squeezed through the crowds of people, her hand shoved in her pockets trying to avoid being pick pocketed. She knew what slums were like all to well.  With grief, she continued her way to the upper districts. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You slip through the crowds with little incident, just another hooded figure with shady business to be getting to. You pass through a series of alleyways and up several creaking staircases. You emerge onto a well-paved street. The cobble stone causeway, well lit by gas lamps overhead, is as stark a contrast to the slums as you could imagine.

Multistory houses of the rich and powerful stack on top of one another, growing more ostentatious as they rise in level. The structures perched at the very top of the ancient tower's remains are veritable mansions, easily some of the biggest buildings you've ever seen.

A shop one block over catches your eye. A jumble of dusty curiosities clutter its window display.  You peer inside and a glimmer draws your attention. In a far corner, a large selection of jewelry sits on velvet cushions and mannequin necks. If the owner wasn't in the business of gems, they would know someone who was.

(Insight roll: 12 + 4. Success!)

As you go to pull open the shop's door, a small shock pricks your palm. You shiver as you detect a slight undercurrent of arcane energy, from who or what, you can't say.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash stopped for a moment, remaining still as she stared inside the store.  She was sure she just felt some form of magic, though... she couldn't pinpoint any more details. She'd suspect that it's some type of detection spell so no one would deal any of the gems, but you could never be sure.  With a slight sigh, she opened the door further and walked inside, making sure to pull her hood down to avoid suspicion.  She knew to well of how precarious these types of stores were and she didn't want to take any chances.  

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Your nose crinkles at the pungent smell of incense and dust. You'd think with their shop being located on such prime real-estate, the owner would be able to afford someone to dust their merchandise once in awhile.

You pass through an archway made entirely of precariously stacked books. Glancing at the spines of the old tomes, you find subjects ranging from siege weapon maintenance to baking the perfect pasty. The entire place screams eclectic. An alchemy station burbles away in the corner while some strange metal contraption keeps arching purple lightning bolts to any and all metal objects in its vicinity. Before you can take a better look at the place, a sultry voice reaches your ear.

"My, my. This certainly is interesting. It's not everyday I get such a worldly looking customer. My cliental usually extends to desperate nobles seeking relief from their... Various inadequacies. I'll wager that's not what you're here for..."

You turn to face a shockingly beautiful woman. Her fair-skinned curvature spills from the black leather corset strapped around her midriff, and her legs seem to go on forever. The heels of her thigh-length boots puts her a few inches taller than you, but she doesn't show the slightest discomfort maneuvering in her perilous footwear. Hair the color of pure starlight is tucked behind pointed ears that betray the traces of elven heritage in your newest acquaintance. Your gaze is fixed on her dexterous hand retrieving a glass lens from her cleavage. The monocle seems to glow as she places it front of one of her violet eyes. Something tells you that despite your attempts to remain concealed, this shopkeeper sees you exactly for what you are.

The woman smiles as she replaces her ocular device. "Welcome to my humble establishment. Did you have something particular in mind, or shall I leave you to browse a bit?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash's eyes roamed across the establishment, observing the various strange objects in the store.  She was about to let her curiosity get the better of her, when she heard a voice causing her to jump slightly. Her eyes quickly flicking to the source of the noise, she came to find out it came from... an amazingly beautiful woman.  Doing her best not to drool, she shuffles her way to the counter.  Putting her hood down, she looked at the woman and smiled.  "Well, I was looking to pawn an object... but your store has caught my interest.  What... exactly is this store's specialty?" She asks, pulling the gem from her pocket as she mentioned pawning.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Insight roll: 9 + 4 = 11)

Her eyes widen at the sight of the large gemstone. She plays it cool, but the tapping of her long fingernails on the store counter betrays her excitement. You have her interest. Whether or not she suspects the nefarious origins of your stolen goods remains to be seen.

"Well I can't say that gems are my exclusive specialty, but even I can see that that's quite the stone you have there... I'm a procurer of rare artifacts you see. Sometimes that means mundane objects from bygone eras... Or items that hold some true measure of power." She flashes you a mischievous smile. "Of course nothing beyond the scope of our fair kingdom's trade laws."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
"Rare artifacts?" Ash repeats with a smile creeping on her face.  "That sounds very interesting... But i'll have to hold on to that idea latter, I made a promise to someone." She states, placing the gem on the counter. "I'l sell you this for how much it's worth.  I'm going to assume you won't need any proof of purchases or you won't document the purchase?" She asks, not wanting to take any risks.  Though with some thinking, she couldn't help but wonder...  "What... kind of staffs do you have?" She asked soon after. She always wanted a powerful staff for her casting...  As much as she loved using her hands, it wouldn't cut it for what she had planned in the future.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The voluptuous store owner smiles like a shark. "Why ever would we require proof of purchase? Did the miner that dug up this little beauty find a receipt attached? As for your request..."

She strolls into her back room, hips swaying. After a few minutes of rummaging, the woman returns with a large bundle. With a clatter, she unwraps it to reveal a selection of staffs in every style you could imagine.

"Now I'm not positive what you're after, so you'll have to bear with me a little bit. I figured you weren't looking for a sturdy walking stick, so I brought some of my more... Shall we say, unique merchandise. If anyone asks, you didn't see these here."

Unique indeed, the hum of magic in the air is giving you goose bumps. Arrayed before you is a formidable arsenal of magical staffs, of every make and style you could imagine. Sleek silver rods set with glowing runes, gnarled branches of witch wood, and half a dozen other choices are presented to you. Seeing your indecision, the store owner offers, "If I had a better idea of what you had in mind, we could narrow things down a bit. I've got pieces that could barbecue a minotaur as well as illusory devices that will aid in enchantment. If you've got a magical knack yourself, there are a few staffs that will augment your natural powers." 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash looks at the wide selection of rods and nearly faints.  "Damn... you have quite the collection..." She admires, her eyes flicking to each rod over with great detail.  "I uh... Specialize in... Dark magic. As well as mental attacks.  You gotta any staffs that are toned to those schools of magic?" She asks, leaning into the counter.  "Oh, and before I forget, what cn I get for the gem?" She asks shortly afterword, placing the gem on the counter top.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Well... Normally I'd enlist a guild appraiser to determine a fair price, but since we're keeping this off record...." The woman idly reaches over to spin the priceless gem like a top. It's rough facets catch the light and seem to set the store keeper's eyes aglow. "Four thousand."

(Intelligence roll: 14 + 6 = 20.)

That's a pretty low price. Even if the gem is uncut, it should at least go for six thousand gold crowns.... Then again, shopping around might not be an option. This woman seems content not to pry into your affairs, but that might not be the case with merchants from more reputable establishments.