CoC: HTML Edition (0.1.2 alpha)

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Version 0.1.2 has been released on June 09, 2016!

So I've decided to start a new project: Porting CoC over to HTML.

Now, why would I decide to try to port CoC over to HTML? For several reasons. The advantage is that no plugins will be needed. Just use a modern browser and you're good to go. Best of all, it will work on mobile devices without ever having to make APK that might not even work on Android phones.

I'll try to code as simple as possible. That means using core fonts and avoiding using libraries that would add to unnecessary code bloat.

You can find the source code here. Trello board is also available.

Please feel free to leave constructive feedback.

Here's a screenshot!

CoCHTMLScreenshot4_zps3noxipw2.png

FAQs

Q: Will it contain the contents of CoC Revamp Mod?
YES! In addition to the contents of vanilla CoC, there will also be the contents from Revamp Mod like Lizan Rogue, The Black Cock, Behemoth, etc.

Q: Why are you making this project?
Because Flash is dying and I aim to move the game to HTML. That way, plugins won't be required. Just the natural power of your browser!

Last edited by a moderator:

So, would this make the game easier to code? Or is it just a ease of access boost.

With my limited knowledge of Flash and HTML, take this with a grain of salt, but since Flash is going out of style, due to better programs rising like, coincidentally, HTML, I'm sure you can do a lot more with this than the older Flash application.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
@Kitteh6660 i think it would be a good idea if you finally added a scene crediter, you know like in TiTs where it says 'scene by X'. That way there will no longer be confusion on what's original and what's added on.

Mustang Flex

Aug 27, 2015
@Kitteh6660 i think it would be a good idea if you finally added a scene crediter, you know like in TiTs where it says 'scene by X'. That way there will no longer be confusion on what's original and what's added on.

This! I think that having scene credits (while maybe a bit of a pain) would help to improve relations with some of the mod writers, and the rest of the community.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
This! I think that having scene credits (while maybe a bit of a pain) would help to improve relations with some of the mod writers, and the rest of the community.

That and I think he needs to finally start doing quality control or get a guy whose willing to do quality control. Cause I believe that with this mod reboot, Kitteh has the chance to mend the relationship's of the original author's.

Nythias

Jan 3, 2016
I can't wait until we get to this. Perhaps a few test snapshots could be released for people to check out and debug? 

It might help to speed development if people can actively search for bugs. Of course, with such a huge project, I would guess we'd have to test one area at a time.

Night

Aug 26, 2015
I'm a bit skeptical on the HTML version. This is mostly regarding save files. I'm not comfortable with playing games in browser because i feel like it runs the risk of saving my games as cookies and i myself very regularly clear cookies because i don't want them piling up and taking unnecessary storage space. I don't want to have to fear deleting may saves (one of which i have a about 4 ingame years of play time since i first started playing CoC) I understand that flash is going out of style but i feel like it offered a sense of stand alone safety in regards to saves and the game in general.

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Unfortunately, saves from flash won't be 100% compatible. As you can see, the saves are usually stored as .sol file.

CoC HTML will save in local storage and for offline, it'll use .txt files.

Progress is slow but steady. I'll see if I can get around to finishing Update #1 within a week. So far, I have Rathazul coded and good to go. Jojo will be coded next.

One of my goals at a point is to implement FoE-like navigation but once time rolls over to 9pm, you'll automatically return to your camp. The new navigation means that you'll visit a place by going to a specific zone then visit that place. For example, if you want to visit Tel'Adre after gaining access, you'll have to go to the desert then Tel'Adre. Want to explore Deepwoods? You'll have to go to the Forest first then travel to Deepwoods. The advantage is that you can grind in a zone more efficiently.

Ironclad

Dec 5, 2015
Is there a way to add more images. I know how to add the images by naming the images and such but i was wondering if there was a way to make it so more images could appear at different scenes. im not talking about multiple images to the same scene like image_1 and image_2 im talking about adding an image to a completely different scene.

You'd need to edit the code itself. If you download the the source code and grab a flash editor you  can do it.

Just add your new image to the images.xml file (from the source code):

<ImageSet id="coc-new-awesome-picture">
<ImageFile>./img/coc-new-awesome-picture</ImageFile>
</ImageSet>

And then add a call for it in the scene you want the image:

private function chosenScene()

Code:
         outputText(images.showImage("coc-new-awesome-picture"));

That first one i said for images.xml should actually be:

<ImageSet id="coc-new-awesome-picture">
<ImageFile>./img/coc-new-awesome-picture_1</ImageFile>
</ImageSet>

With that extra "_1" on the end of the third line.

It would be awesome if you included code for image calls for each scene. With that we could add a lot more customization in game! Maybe even avatars for character appearance.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Unfortunately, saves from flash won't be 100% compatible. As you can see, the saves are usually stored as .sol file.

CoC HTML will save in local storage and for offline, it'll use .txt files.

So those that are interested in playing the HTML version should expect to start all over again right?

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well I think many people have their saves that are already close to be maxed with everything possible be it lvl, stats, eq, perks, waifus or other things to do... for me it wouldn't be issue to start fresh in html version ^^

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You'll mostly have to start over but fortunately, I can try to compensate for the loss by adding the ability to import save from flash. It won't import everything though.

You'll keep your gems and you'll mostly retain your appearance.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
You'll mostly have to start over but fortunately, I can try to compensate for the loss by adding the ability to import save from flash. It won't import everything though.

You'll keep your gems and you'll mostly retain your appearance.

Well I guess I'll just hold off on advancing further on the Flash version and just wait for the HTML version.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
It's gonna likely be quite some time before the HTML catches up to the flash version. So theres not much point in holding off.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
It's gonna likely be quite some time before the HTML catches up to the flash version. So theres not much point in holding off.

Yeah I know, but I don't wanna get to like a high level and did the vast majority of the content, only to switch to the HTML version and have to start over from scratch.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Not to meantion Kitteh want make some quality check while porting stuff to html version so for now you could expect it in next few months to be like vanilla CoC with few under the hood changes from mod but little to none new stuff that was connected to new stuff written that we can read (so I feel cabin/2 new area/etc. may be a little long away from been added to this version). Beside I think if html version of CoC saves will be like Nightgames mod version then...edit save to have all you had in flash ver of modded CoC would be quite easy (as long you know which values change in html save ;) )

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Here's a progress report.

Runescape has sidetracked me yet once again but I've managed to focus on project.

The core functionality for Jojo and Rathazul are mostly done, just need to be tested.

It takes some time changing the code functionality. Especially removing the old status effects used to track followers and progress and replacing with new gameFlags functionality.

hatternumber0

Aug 27, 2015
Good work. Status effects always felt like the wrong tool for the job when saving game flags were concerned.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
...and good luck with sorting out this mess. Flags are maybe better, but not much when you have dozens of UNKNOWN_FLAG_NUMBER_00000 to sort out.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015

Runescape has sidetracked me yet once again but I've managed to focus on project.

The core functionality for Jojo and Rathazul are mostly done, just need to be tested.

It takes some time changing the code functionality. Especially removing the old status effects used to track followers and progress and replacing with new gameFlags functionality.

The tedious part of literally tearing the old game apart and reworking EVERYTHING so that it works properly and is easier to add/change things.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015

I don't see any changes on github. Are you keeping the repository up to date?

Also, I am curious, how much of this are you manually recoding vs how exporting from actionscript?