Breeding Season is DEAD!

Namorax

May 4, 2016
Well, didn't he mention that his timetable was kinda screwed up when H-Bomb found out about Cloud Meadows? Maybe more content is about to come. I understand that just a few pictures are nothing to write home about, but nobody is forcing anyone to throw money at patreon.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Defending S-Purple

Here's what I know of the situation that makes S-Purple look like a scam artist.

My experiences playing breeding season:  I found BS before I found Unnamed Text Game, and I've been playing UTG/CoC almost as long as it's existed.  The game was interesting but very limited in content, so I returned to the blog semi-regularly looking for updates.  When there were none I assumed the project was dead and stopped coming back.  Several months later I stumbled onto it again to find there'd been a couple updates.  H-Bomb didn't make regular contact at the blog but did to updates on a fairly predictable schedule.  Looking back through the updates it was clear that each one was limited but predictable in when it happened.  With the new content, the broken nature of the stat mechanic was even more prominent so I decided to wait a while and see if they overhauled the system.  After forgetting about BS for about 2 years I'm reminded of it and find that it's gone backwards.  The crappy stat system is still there, only 2 of the creature types have art (despite multiple blog posts showcasing the art they plan to add), and there's events and buttons that lead nowhere adding zero content to the game.  I came back a few more times to find things added to the town, the elf event fleshed out a little more, and more creatures added.  But the updates were so slow that I only found it interesting after forgetting about the bulk of it.

It's clear to me from this that H-Bomb started BS as a side project and was not prepared for the amount of work it would take.  But he was at least consistent, if not quick, about updates on his own and things didn't get worse until after S-Purple arrived.  Updates went from predictable to inconsistent.  Blog posts talked about, and showcased, art being made but took months to get any of it into the game.  It almost started to look like S-Purple was advertising his art while work on the game went nowhere.  How much of this is S slowing things down and how much is H just being lazy, I'll never know.  But S working on the game was a clear point of distinction between steady but limited updates and absolute chaos.

According to what I've learned in this thread, S livestreamed himself doing very little work for hours on end, vetoed bringing in a project manager to help smooth out development, grabbed half the money they'd saved up for developing the game, and ran off with his art breaking the spirit of the deal he had with H.  If any of this is untrue, please speak up.  I'd seriously like to know.  But it makes it look like S sabotaged the game so that he could take money meant for developing it and start his own.  A new game that so far has nothing to make it look like a viable project, but is still getting funding based on his reputation as an artist.  A reputation that was substantially bolstered by working on such a popular game.  That's some seriously shady behavior that strongly suggest S-Purple is a major factor in the death of BS.  Not just by taking his art when he left, but also by his actions while working on the project and his influence in its development.  I'll grant you that no matter what, circumstances alone show H is a lazy, incompetent, vindictive jerk.  And he holds a great deal of the blame for BS being cancelled along with all the development issues they had.  But that doesn't prove S wasn't responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

jk103

Oct 14, 2015
Well, didn't he mention that his timetable was kinda screwed up when H-Bomb found out about Cloud Meadows? Maybe more content is about to come. I understand that just a few pictures are nothing to write home about, but nobody is forcing anyone to throw money at patreon.

No one's forcing people to send money to Nigerian princes either, but the assholes who take the money are still scammers. If his timetable was moved up unexpectedly he needs to suspend the account until he's ready.

But seriously, the project he's pitching is no less than three times more complex than Breeding Season ever was - it will have a breeding system, a farming system, and a dungeon crawling system. Designing, implementing, and balancing those three systems against each other is going to be an absolute nightmare. And that's before the inevitable feature creep train even gets rolling.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
And you're free to believe his moral choices are wrong. That's fine. I personally don't see anything wrong with attempting to protect your livelihood and professional reputation when an employer is risking all of it to failure by being lazy and incompetent. (Or, look at it this way: even if he had sold the assets and left quietly with everyone else, I feel everyone would still say was an asshole for letting HBomb get away with it for so long as BS died a slow, slow death while still racking in tens of thousands of dollars a month from non-updates. Plus, selling him the rights to the designs means that H-Bomb would actually have a legal standing to destroy S-Purple's game for being "too artistically similar," to his own; he'd be able to stonewall any farming/breeding-based H-Game S-Purple felt like making, or at least make it very difficult for him to go through with his plans, if he so chose. Perpetually.)

And, again: S-Purple hasn't overtly asked for money -- to my knowledge -- for the project. He's branded it as his attempt "to give fans of Breeding Season an opportunity to play a similar game," due to what he believed the inevitable cancellation of Breeding Season (his moral decision), but he's given anyone from the BS side of patreon free access to check out the game for 3 months if they so choose.

If you argument is that he should make that same offer to people who never backed BS, I'm going to have to ask you why you think that's appropriate here when no other Patreon for a game has ever done the same? (I'm honestly curious, no sarcasm.)

There is a very strong legal case for S-Purple being the one in the wrong here.  There is a lot of studies on business ethics and conflicts of interest, which S-Purple's behavior has gone strongly against.  I would like to make this very, very clear, sabotaging the company you're working for is NEVER OKAY.  The only exception is whistle blowing, when a person goes public about the ethical failures of its employer.  Even these people often are considered to be the ones doing the wrong thing, legally, and the laws that protect people who do whistle blow don't protect them against things like company sabotage.  S-Purple reserving the artwork for the game is company sabotage, and to make maters worse he stands to directly benefit from doing so, creating a massive conflict of interest.

You also seem to be missing the point about him hiring a programmer before leaving the Breeding Season team IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG THING TO DO!  THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN NO DEVELOPMENT WHATSOEVER ON A COMPETING GAME BEFORE HE LEFT THE TEAM!  This is a conflict of interest, where his responsibilities as an employee to the Breeding Season team conflict with his interest in seeing his own game succeed.  A proper employee or company owner has a legal and moral responsibility to avoid these wherever possible and clearly disclose those that are unavoidable.  Being in such a huge one, even if the person is impartial or doing the right thing, is in and of itself a huge legal shitstorm.

People leave and move on from projects all the time.  Generally speaking no one bats an eye at this.  I can guarantee that he would have been far, far, far, better off just walking away and announcing this new project three or four months down the line once he'd gotten a playable demo.

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016

First, read this if you have not.

Second: back when Breeding Season looked like this -- circa, iirc 2012/2013 -- the artist in question was not S-purple of H0Bomb, but someone named CoyoteRedmoon. With this artist, H-Bomb managed to get the following done in a span of several months to a year of updates:

• UI, Menus, Etc
  • Assets, Artwork, and Animations for: FBreeder x Dickwolf, FBreeder x Catgirl, FBreeder x Holstaurus, FBreeder x Harpy, FBreeder x Demon, FBreeder x FutaCatgirl, FBreeder x Buttstallion, Dickwolf x Catgirl, Dickwolf x Harpy, Dickwolf x Holstaurus, Dickwolf x Elven Slavegirl, Dickwolf x Elven Slave Boy, Dickwolf x Kittengirl, Dickwolf x Buttstallion, Elven Slave Boy x Elven Slave Boy, Catgirl x Buttstallion, Catgirl x Holstaurus, Catgirl x Demon, Catgirl x Harpy, Catgirl x Catgirl, Holstaurus x Buttstallion, Buttstallion x Elven Slave Girl, Buttstallion x Kittengirl, Buttstallion x Harpy = 24 sex animations (I'll bump this up to 30 to be generous), and as many idle animations.
  • Monsters In Total = Catgirl, Kitten Girl, Futa Catgirl, Dickwolf, Harpy, Holstaurus, Vealstaurus, Eleven Slave Girl, Futa Slave Girl, Elven Slave Boy, Buttstallion = 11 in total
  • Artwork for 8 NPCs (Margo, Lily, Cordelia, Delilah, Roxie, The Marquis, The Marchioness, and the Female Breeder)
  • Completed Artwork Of 6 Locations Areas (Catgirl Kennel, Butt Stallion Stable, Demon Pit, Harpy Aviary, Dickwolf Yard, Guild Hall)
  • WIP Artwork of 2 Locations (Elf Stockade, The Town)
  • 4 Locations that are just Menus (Breeding Pen, Item Shop, Monster Shop, and Farm Upgrade Shop)

For a complete total of 53 - 59 art assets created and coded into the game in at least a year's worth of time.  Now, let's do S-Purple + Vanilly and the 2-3 years they've been working for HBomb.

• UI, Menus, Etc
  • Assets and Artwork for 80 animations, including special events, sex animations, and idle animations. (Many of them more dynamic than previous animations)
  • Assets and Artwork for 20 "Out of Date," Animations (They have outdated lineart)
  • Assets and Artwork for 18 animations not yet implemented in-game.
  • Artwork for 17 Consumable Items
  • Artwork for 10 Monster Designs (Catgirl, Dickwolf, Harpy, Holstaurus, Female Elf, Male Elf, Demon, Buttstallion, Mandrak, Swine, and Seraph)
  • Artwork for Loli versions of the original 7 monsters
  • Artwork for Feral versions of the original 7 monsters
  • Artwork for Futa versions of the original 7 monsters
  • Artwork for Genderbent versions of the original 7 monsters
  • Artwork for Genderbent Loli versions of the original 7 monsters
  • Artwork for Genderbent Feral Versions of the original 7 Monsters
  • Artwork for 36 Characters (NPCs + Breeders)
  • Artwork for 18 Locations (not including travel screens)
  • Artwork for 7 Monster Pens
  • Numerous assets to give monsters and characters different expressions, hairstyles, eyes, mouths, etc, etc, etc. (Not counting these in the total)

For a complete total of 248 art assets created over two to three years, of which only 18 are not yet implemented in game. During this time (2015), S-Purple also worked on designing and animating art assets for 2 other games with another, unrelated team -- the games are CODE: Varseider and Gnometale, respectively -- and neither he nor HBomb have noted his helping their development as part of the reason for Breeding Season's slow update schedule. (That said, there's also no way for anyone outside of those involved to determine how much animating either S-Purple or Vanily did (though remember Vanilly came in later), nor is there a way to determine how much programming either HBomb or Fleet achieved in the same amount of time.)

Feel free to draw your own conclusions, but again: H-Bomb was a noted flake and non-updater even BS was on the LoK forums (it was why the project almost died in the first place), and there's picture evidence of him being the one goofing off on work streams instead of working on Breeding Season. (I honestly don't know where in this thread you got the idea that S-Purple was the one doing so.) S-Purple also did not take money from the game outside of what was contractually owed to him, and even then he's attempted to -- by his own admission -- either refund that money back to BS Patrons or give it to other team members, of which only Fleet accepted (iirc). 

I'm not absolving S-Purple of having any part in the issues that plagues the development of BS; I think -- and he admits -- that more could've been done earlier to attempt and salvage the game, but I'm also not really seeing him as the primary instigator of its death after actually doing some research about the situation and hearing both sides of the story. (Plus, having actually followed him as an artist for several years, the things people are calling him -- lazy, a scam artist, and greedy -- go decidedly against the grain, while all the things that people say about H-Bomb have proven true of them since the very first time I heard about the development of BS.

Take what I've said here and other places as you will, but with this I'm officially done word vomiting about the topic.

But seriously, the project he's pitching is no less than three times more complex than Breeding Season ever was - it will have a breeding system, a farming system, and a dungeon crawling system.

All of those things were planned for Breeding System -- just replace "dungeon crawling," with using your monsters for "pit fighting."

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
S-Purple reserving the artwork for the game is company sabotage...

Retaining ownership rights and copyright to his (S-Purple's) artwork was a stipulation of the contract H-Bomb signed before S-Purple became part of his company. How can he sabotage something he isn't even part of?

You also seem to be missing the point about him hiring a programmer before leaving the Breeding Season team IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG THING TO DO!  THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN NO DEVELOPMENT WHATSOEVER ON A COMPETING GAME BEFORE HE LEFT THE TEAM!  This is a conflict of interest...

At no point was S-Purple's plan to ever stop working on his game and Breeding Season concurrently before quitting the latter. He has said, time and again, that before H-Bomb found out about the project, his plan was to leave at the same time (either this month or shortly after this month) that the other two members of the team chose to leave, and use a more completed form of Meadows to assuage Patrons that their devotion to Breeding Season wouldn't be forgotten. H-Bomb publicly and privately flipping their shit, however, along with threatening to sue S-Purple for creative rights to his artwork (despite having signed the aforementioned contract), and then threatening that "he had more than enough money," to get his way, is probably what drove S-Purple to break their partnership and ultimately decide not to hand over the assets he created.

So, my question here is: if you know bad leadership and project management is going to sink the company and project you work for, and you know everyone else involved is going to quit, and that the person in charge is going to (most likely) not attempt to restructure or rehire more people after the fact....... what exactly do you do? If he stayed and collected a paycheck from a project that slowly died, his reputation is run into the ground. If he leaves and lets H-Bomb keep his art assets, but H-Bomb then cancels the project after siphoning more and more money from Patrons, doesn't that also look just as bad?

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
(I honestly don't know where in this thread you got the idea that S-Purple was the one doing so.) S-Purple also did not take money from the game outside of what was contractually owed to him, and even then he's attempted to -- by his own admission -- either refund that money back to BS Patrons or give it to other team members, of which only Fleet accepted (iirc).

First, one of Flo's posts on page 3 mentioned the stream.  They could be outright lying, but unless Flo is one of H-Bomb's aliases I don't see why.  Nor did I ever assert it as absolute fact, so it's not really a point of contention.  Second, what you're "contractually owed" and what you should actually take are often 2 completely different things.  The bank CEOs that crashed the global economy were contractually owed a shit-ton of money.  That doesn't mean they're any less the douchebags the world recognizes them as for ruining everything and then walking away with huge bags of bailout money.  Third, and lastly, how much of my post did you actually read?  Other than the streaming thing you didn't directly contradict anything I said.  You just danced around the issue and called H-Bomb a flake, like that was supposed to distract me from S-Purple's highly shady behavior.  S-Purple's blog post also does nothing to counter anything I've said.  He just repeatedly blames H-Bomb's laziness for all the project's problems and complains about how H-Bomb keeps threatening to take legal action against him.  Did S not oppose the hiring of a project manager (who possibly could have gotten H-Bomb to get off his lazy ass and do work if S is telling the truth)?  Is anything in my post not true?  Did you completely ignore everything I said about H just so you could keep bashing him, or do you simply not have another way of defending S?

FerrousFlint

Mar 14, 2016
(*sigh*) I think the one thing I'm gonna miss most about this game are the characters. Margo, Roxie, Kay, Kala, the Hilliard sibs, etc; all unique, all interesting, all dead now, apparently. Even if S-purple were reincarnated and redesigned it just wouldn't be them, y'know. I was kinda hoping, but skeptical, about the whole ranch assistant/marriage mechanic H-bomb was pimping for awhile, but if it went legit, Cordelia or Margo were gonna be my main baes, followed by Kala, the Marchioness, or Kay..

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016

1) I'm contending your assertion that updates became inconsistent when S-Purple joined the team. They did not; art being created was not the problem, and I outlined why. Plenty of art got made for Breeding Season -- S-Purple, however, is not a programmer, H-Bomb is. My point is that, if you think updates were inconsistent because of S-Purple, there's more evidence available to suggest that isn't the case than there is otherwise.

2) I'm drawing a parallel between how much was created before S-Purple joined versus how much was created and implemented after and during his stint as the artist of Breeding Season. Again, there is tons of evidence to show that he did his job to the letter, but that implementing it -- ie: coding it and programming it into the game -- was not done in a timely fashion. And that pattern of behavior -- delayed updates and flaking out on the game -- was part and parcel of H-Bomb's handling of Breeding Season even before S-Purple joined.

3) "First, one of Flo's posts on page 3 mentioned the stream," -- I've seen more streams where S-Purple and Vanilly get tons of work done than I've seen streams of H-Bomb doing the same. It's a matter of numbers.

4) "Vetoed bringing in a project manager to help smooth out development," -- is hearsay until proven otherwise. S-Purple says H-Bomb didn't want to hire additional staff (including making current animators like Vanilly full-time staff), while H-Bomb asserts that S-Purple was the one who vetoed all the decisions he wanted to make.

5) "Grabbed half the money they'd saved up for developing the game," -- not at all (according to S-Purple), and here's where he specifically addressed that: "HBomb also goes on to mention that I went behind his back and stole an entire months of work, and then half of the company savings. The aforementioned funds are actually were not company funds (as had been implied), but a jointly owned account where both of us had been saving up to purchase an actual studio eventually. It should also be noted, that since I had been locked out of the savings account before I could withdraw my own cut of last month’s income, I’m not sure where he gets the idea that I walked away with anything. If money has vanished from those accounts, it is not I who took it. The other day however, I was paid $9000, in addition to outstanding debts mentioned elsewhere in this document. I don’t intend to keep those funds, and I am contacting Patreon to see if it is at all possible to return those funds to the patrons of Breeding Season. Failing that as a possibility, then I intend to give them to our secondary coder Fleet, as both Vanilly and Subtank have turned down payment."

The post I linked literally tells you the answers to the things you're asking about here, much of it with evidence that also refutes many of H-Bomb's claims. The things it doesn't -- or asserts without evidence -- are still hearsay, same as with H-Bomb; but my point in this, as always, is that more evidence currently exists to make me believe S-Purple over H-Bomb and no one, not anyone, has shown me otherwise. Not even other detractors of S-Purple who are fans of H-Bomb, let alone anyone else directly involved with the project. You can call him a douchebag and think he's a conartist, fine; but I don't agree with it, and I'll continue to explain reasons why I don't agree with it if people keep quoting me.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Retaining ownership rights and copyright to his (S-Purple's) artwork was a stipulation of the contract H-Bomb signed before S-Purple became part of his company. How can he sabotage something he isn't even part of?

At no point was S-Purple's plan to ever stop working on his game and Breeding Season concurrently before quitting the latter. He has said, time and again, that before H-Bomb found out about the project, his plan was to leave at the same time (either this month or shortly after this month) that the other two members of the team chose to leave, and use a more completed form of Meadows to assuage Patrons that their devotion to Breeding Season wouldn't be forgotten. H-Bomb publicly and privately flipping their shit, however, along with threatening to sue S-Purple for creative rights to his artwork (despite having signed the aforementioned contract), and then threatening that "he had more than enough money," to get his way, is probably what drove S-Purple to break their partnership and ultimately decide not to hand over the assets he created.

So, my question here is: if you know bad leadership and project management is going to sink the company and project you work for, and you know everyone else involved is going to quit, and that the person in charge is going to (most likely) not attempt to restructure or rehire more people after the fact....... what exactly do you do? If he stayed and collected a paycheck from a project that slowly died, his reputation is run into the ground. If he leaves and lets H-Bomb keep his art assets, but H-Bomb then cancels the project after siphoning more and more money from Patrons, doesn't that also look just as bad?

He was an employee, damaging the company that he was a part of is sabotaging it, regardless of the means he went about doing it.

Working on the two concurrently IS THE PROBLEM!  You can't work on something that's going to compete with your current employer while still employed with that company.  This is incredibly unethical.

Give your two weeks notice, turn over everything you'd been working on to the company, sell any shares or assets you might have to the company, and walk away.  This is the ONLY correct choice if you're going to leave, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  You've fulfilled your duty to your employer and have taken no unethical actions in leaving.  Vanilla and Fleet did exactly that, and no one thinks anything worse of them for doing so.  Why would S-Purple be any different?

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
 Why would S-Purple be any different?

Because his contract didn't have a "no compete," clause in it and stated that he owned everything he created for the game?

Also, would there even have been a problem, at all, had his original plan to quit with everyone else actually worked? Say he quits the "right" way, sells his assets to H-Bomb, and then reveals that he's going to come out with Meadows after that -- wouldn't the game still have drama associated with it, with people saying "Oh, so that's why Breeding Season failed," and S-Purple's credibility and reputation tanks anyway? To me it sounds like he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Either stay, and keep working with someone you hate and has no management skills, or leave to make your own game -- taking your assets or not -- and still get blamed for the first one dying anyway. Plus, if he did hand over creative rights to H-Bomb, couldn't H-Bomb then use that as a basis to keep S-Purple from even making Meadows at any point in the future because of how similar the games and creatures involved are by design? I'm genuinely curious.

KingAaronIV

Jun 9, 2016
Because his contract didn't have a "no compete," clause in it and stated that he owned everything he created for the game?

Also, would there even have been a problem, at all, had his original plan to quit with everyone else actually worked? Say he quits the "right" way, sells his assets to H-Bomb, and then reveals that he's going to come out with Meadows after that -- wouldn't the game still have drama associated with it, with people saying "Oh, so that's why Breeding Season failed," and S-Purple's credibility and reputation tanks anyway? To me it sounds like he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Either stay, and keep working with someone you hate and has no management skills, or leave to make your own game -- taking your assets or not -- and still get blamed for the first one dying anyway. Plus, if he did hand over creative rights to H-Bomb, couldn't H-Bomb then use that as a basis to keep S-Purple from even making Meadows at any point in the future because of how similar the games and creatures involved are by design? I'm genuinely curious.

This guy makes a really good point, and S-Purple did have quite a solid defense.

stuntcock

Nov 1, 2015
Did S not oppose the hiring of a project manager (who possibly could have gotten H-Bomb to get off his lazy ass and do work if S is telling the truth)?

Yes, you're correct on that point.

S-Purple's opposition is somewhat shitty, but I can understand it.  If you're in "hell or high water" mode where you want to do everything possible for the project, then you'd support the hiring of a PM.  In a pragmatic real-world scenario, there are a few reasons to oppose it:

• Engagement

HBomb isn't doing much programming work.  The team has already hired an additional programmer to compensate for his low productivity.
  • HBomb is theoretically in charge of handling the budget, human resources, project management, and community feedback.  But he's half-assing all of those roles.
  • If S-Purple allows HBomb to hire someone for the managerial tasks, then he's tacitly accepting HBomb's subpar contributions.
  • It would be silly to allow HBomb to check out of the project entirely.  He retains exclusive control over the project funds, and if there's nothing to tie him into the day-to-day activities then there's an even greater risk that he'll neglect to pay people on time.

[*]Effectiveness

• A project manager who lacks fiscal and executive authority wouldn't be very effective.  At best, he can attempt to persuade (or nag) people to do their assigned work.  At worst, he's just be meticulously updating an MSProject file which depicts the game's slow death spiral.
  • The new PM could carefully review the project and declare that "we should move the source code into an actual repository (instead of Dropbox), simplify our Patreon rewards structure, publish a new set of milestones with weekly updates, and hire two additional animators in order to relieve stress on Vanilly" ...
  • ... but all of his major decisions are moot if HBomb decides not to cooperate (or if HBomb suddenly goes on vacation for a few months).

[*]Team Dynamics

• Any new hire is going to impair progress for a while.  People will need to spend time briefing him on the status of various tasks.  Existing work processes (which have been gradually hammered out between team members) may need to be documented and/or modified to accommodate the new guy.  Informal workflows may need to be retired in favor of formal systems (version control, unit tests, timesheets, etc).

If the new hire is good at his job, then these delays will be resolved and long-term progress will improve.  There's no guarantee that HBomb will choose a good PM candidate.

[*]Any new hire risks disruption of the existing team.  Someone might get annoyed because they hoped to be promoted into the new role. Someone's personality might clash with that of the new hire. Someone might get upset when they learn that the new guy is being paid more than them.  Language or timezone issues may arise.

• A good HR manager will anticipate these issues and work through them.  The Breeding Season team does not have good HR.

[*]Nobody enjoys taking orders from some micro-managing newcomer.  Nobody wants to spend time filing timesheets and daily progress reports for the benefit of some petty-tyrant PM.  A bad PM hire can demoralize vital team members or drive them to quit the project entirely.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015

"No compete" doesn't have to be in the contract, it depends on the employment laws in the jurisdiction.  This still leaves the ethical issue of the conflict of interest in tact.

That's like saying it's okay to steal if you don't get caught.  Drama happens on the internet regardless of the situation, you can't base your decisions on that.  Even if H-Bomb and S-Purple had been on fantastic terms but had a design disagreement and the two agreed to part ways amicably, there'd still be all kinds of drama.

This actually happens quite often in the gaming industry.  See Hideo Kojima and Konami for a recent case.  The best you can do as an employee is to complete your responsibilities and avoid as many ethical concerns as you can.  There really isn't anything wrong with starting your own similar project if it's not a carbon copy and you weren't working on it at the same time as original project.

EDIT: Arguably healthy competition is a good thing.  If there are two similar projects pitted against one another, then both have to be pulling their weight or they'll fall behind.  This lack of competition could be made as an argument as to why Breeding Season lasted as long as it did even with such terrible management, there was no other option.

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
As an end user as opposed to a developer I will just sit back, grab the popcorn and watch the ongoing drama Law and Order: Hentai Game

Nekas

Aug 31, 2015

So if a person were to receive contract and rights from UN to kill anyone who he want anywhere, technically speaking he could go to any city in world take minigun and some explosives and start massacre at any city, after he shows his contract to police/army that he had rights to do that and he is not in wrong at all :)

Would you accept something like that?

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
So if a person were to receive contract and rights from UN to kill anyone who he want anywhere, technically speaking he could go to any city in world take minigun and some explosives and start massacre at any city, after he shows his contract to police/army that he had rights to do that and he is not in wrong at all :)

Would you accept something like that?

Look up logical fallacies and get back to me.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
I think the most important thing is feedback from the one you give your money to.

Breeding season was too silent if I recall corectly (I stopped following it a long time ago), so it was always a high-risk investment.

On the other side, FenComp gives plenty feedback (and apologizes if they think they failed to create enough!), which raises trustworthyness.

Another high-money Patreon would be Roundscape Adorevia, while (in my opinion) being a prime example of problems with the Patreon model and a dubios business model, they actually try to give

regular feedback and monthly updates. I remember how much Kaliyo apologizes for slowing down because of the MV experiment.

So, long story short, if you want to be trustworthy, be active with feedback, talk about your progress, warn people of problems that are arriving (and don't wait till it crashes) - and do so publicly.

If you keep everythign to yourself you will start to be dubious and if it falls apart without warning than it is the fault of the project lead.

Meaning that HBomb *should* have warned his backers that there are problems, maybe even resortet to a "pay-per-update" model to ensure his sincerity.

It is SPurples right to take the stuff with him that is his own, but he should have warned the investors beforehand.

So, I think no one should back a project that lacks feedback, a demonstration and a (more or less) clear timetable.

Example: TiTS, Fenoxo gives Feedback (I assume his backers get even more info), he showed his capabilitys (CoC alone shows his skill and dedication) and he has rough dates for new versions.

While Patreon can be used to sponsor creative minds, i get the feeling that many games use it as an investor and investors have a right to know what you do with their money.

Sorry for the rambling, but this is a topic that is surprisingly important to me. ^^

mrttao

Aug 31, 2015
Look up logical fallacies and get back to me.

He didn't make a logical fallacy. You replied to a statement of "he did something legal but immoral" with "but it wasn't illegal/against his contract". Which has nothing to do with morality, morality is not determined by contracts or law.

Speaking of fallacies, you keep strawmanning while sucking spurps dick

Nobody said that spurp did not have the legal right to take his assets from the game when he left. But you make the strawman that they are.

Nobody is saying that hbomb was not doing wrong things. But you accuse everyone who dares criticize spurp for any reason as being an hbomb fanboy even when they EXPLICITLY rip hbomb to shreds too.

Apparently you believe that in every conflict one person must be a paragon of virtue and the other pure evil and that it is impossible for both sides to be shits. You also insists that only two sides exist, hbomb and spurple. As far as I can tell they both are total shits who exploited both their fans and their employees. They are each trying to blame the other, downplay their own faults, but end up admitting that the accusations about them are true when doing so because they are too incompetent to even make a proper denial

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015

Oh good, so I'm not the only one that got that impression.  I added it to my last post a few times, but kept deleting it because it seemed a little excessive.  Maybe I should have left it in.

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
He didn't make a logical fallacy. You replied to a statement of "he did something legal but immoral" with "but it wasn't illegal/against his contract". Which has nothing to do with morality, morality is not determined by contracts or law.

Nobody said that spurp did not have the legal right to take his assets from the game when he left. But you make the strawman that they are.

Nobody is saying that hbomb was not doing wrong things. But you accuse everyone who dares criticize spurp for any reason as being an hbomb fanboy even when they EXPLICITLY rip hbomb to shreds too.

Apparently you believe that in every conflict one person must be a paragon of virtue and the other pure evil and that it is impossible for both sides to be shits. You also insists that only two sides exist, hbomb and spurple. As far as I can tell they both are total shits who exploited both their fans and their employees. They are each trying to blame the other, downplay their own faults, but end up admitting that the accusations about them are true when doing so because they are too incompetent to even make a proper denial

1) False Analogy: is a special type of inductive argument, whereby perceived similarities are used as a basis to infer some further similarity that has yet to be observed. When a person has a bad experience with a product and decides not to buy anything further from the producer, this is often a case of analogical reasoning. It is also implicit in much of science; for instance, experiments on laboratory rats typically proceed on the basis that some physiological similarities between rats and humans entails some further similarity (e.g. possible reactions to a drug).(Him)

2) Strawman: an argument based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. (You)

You're also attributing things to me that I did not say, nor did I ever imply that S-Purple isn't at fault for what happened. Just that H-Bomb is--I believe--more at fault. You're free to believe otherwise, as I've stated multiple times, but nowhere have I said that people are H-Bomb fanboys; I've only ever said that more evidence -- right now, as the situation currently is -- exists to paint H-Bomb in a negative light than there exists to paint S-Purple in a negative light to the same degree. That's all.

You've made up your mind to paint me as some rabid fanboy, and that's fine; have fun with that. I've got better things to do than continue arguing with people about this after two days of it.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
At this point with this thread all people are doing is

88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif

Namorax

May 4, 2016
Do you want everyone to go to the Cloud Meadow Thread and continue this discussion there? (Not like this would revive the horse or anything, but... *shrugs*)

JudgeHeath

Jul 21, 2016
I'm just popping in to settle a few questions.

1) First off, Epidemico, thanks for defending S-Purple as you have been, I was pretty much going to leave this thread alone because you pretty much hit every single point I wanted to hit.

This is pretty much exactly the trap S-Purple was going to find himself in. So he picked the option that was going to result in any mud slinging at him being exclusively his own doing, rather than stuff that HBomb did for his work, people noticing the similarity, and the blame falling on S-Purple. Also, to make this absolutely clear. I work in the game industry, and nobody on that project was formally employed. They didn't get insurance or benefits, they didn't even cite it on their tax forms. If you are an independent contractor, and make no mistake, everyone on Breeding Season was an independent contractor, then you HAVE to have the no-compete clause specifically outlined and listed in the contract. Nothing else is implied just by being contracted. The reason being is that contractors are assumed to be living hand to mouth with their contracts. Loyalty is not implied because the company is doing nothing else to help lighten their living expenses or protect their ability to work. A contractor is assumed, in fact, to be working on multiple projects of a similar type because that is what their skill set enables them to do.

2) On the issues of the project manager that S-Purple supposedly stopped H-Bomb from hiring.

The issues listed here certainly factored into everything. But something that has not been publicly bandied about, due to us feeling it was ultimately not important since it was barely addressed in HBomb's posts? Was that the person HBomb wanted to hire in this case was he wanted to hire an "Intern Project Manager", who was not even out of college. That was another major reason that S-Purple was against hiring him. 1) Because the intern position meant he'd never be able to tell HBomb shit. 2) That his college position would mean he would be unreliably available at best, and completely clueless and untrained at worst, and 3) HBomb wanted to give the guy a large wage despite the fact that he would be intermittently available and had no proof of his abilities.

So yes, S-Purple was against HBomb bringing on a Project Manager. One who would have been a drain on resources and had absolutely no proof of ability. HBomb would have been taking 50% of all profits without doing ANYTHING for the game at that point, and it wasn't something S-Purple was willing to let go.

CrowgoesCaw

Jul 14, 2016

Ok Now I understand things better for the most part and I'm willing to give Purp a chance. Mostly the reason why I was so against was that any evidence I saw was either Ignoring the point other people were trying to bring up or repeating the same tired points with different wording. Now that I have a more clear understanding, hopefully all this can get resolved now.

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
Please let this thread be locked down or somehow be pointed toward S-Purps new thread of Cloud Meadow. Or better yet - just kill the thread - it's a dead issue...I look for new content in this forum and hate seeing necro bumps here...

catcodes

Mar 3, 2017
Hey, hate to revive an old post like this, but I've started remaking breeding season, and would really like to get any kind of permission before I continue.. If anyone knows how to contact HBomb or anyone please let me know. My email is Cats.Codes@gmail.com.

Lotharian

Jan 20, 2017
Hey, hate to revive an old post like this, but I've started remaking breeding season, and would really like to get any kind of permission before I continue.. If anyone knows how to contact HBomb or anyone please let me know. My email is Cats.Codes@gmail.com.

HBomb is kinda off the radar ever since everything went down, though I doubt he cares at all what people do since he was the one who leaked all the assets to spite S-Purple. As for S-Purple he technically owns all the art assets, he is kinda a prick though so I wouldn't hold your breathe about talking to him. If you want to make a breeding game just make one honestly *shrug* just be unique about it.

Cloud Meadows already has the recreating Breeding Season job.

Cloud Meadow is one of the buggiest and most poorly executed projects I have seen in a long time. The Breeding portion hardly even works if you CAN get it to work in the first place, the art was nice but when they all are as small as ants on the screen it doesn't really matter. As for all the random other mechanics they are broken beyond repair, they even had to make a specific button to skip the combats in the game since they were totally broken and they didn't want to bother fixing it.