Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Just here to share my deep appreciation for this project, you really have something good going on.

Making it open sourced was a nice touch too.The tooltips can be a bit lacking at times, and it's nice to be able to get into the nitty-gritty of how things function. I'd love to contribute when I get a bit more free time, even if only to provide more descriptive wiki pages.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Alright, I'm at a loss. How do you run this? I installed Java 8 and am running windows 8.1. But upon trying to open the file Firefox/IE merely asks me if I want to save it.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Alright, I'm at a loss. How do you run this? I installed Java 8 and am running windows 8.1. But upon trying to open the file Firefox/IE merely asks me if I want to save it.

You'll want to save it first, then extract it using your favorite archive manager (WinRAR, 7zip, etc.), or the built-in Windows one if you have Windows 8 or up. If you've installed Java properly (it's really hard to screw it up, don't worry) just double-clicking the extracted .jar file will start the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nebula Fox

Aug 26, 2015
I've noticed a bug with Angel. Angel can use Kiss of Baptism in the same turn that you trip her, bypassing the fact that I've knocked her off balance. Basically, whenever I trip her, it plays the message that she's been knocked off balance, but her Kiss of Baptism plays immediately after, ignoring the knocked down status or whatever it's supposed to be.

Edit: Upon further inspection, Angel can use any kiss variant while being knocked down.

Example.png

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Was poking at the GUI, changed the color scheme, removed lots of dead code, started adding comments to learn does what and realigned the bars (I felt like they were a bit too tiny for level 30+). Oh, also added dynamic resizing of the window based on detected resolution (80% of detected monitor resolution) (sh*t was tiny on 4k displays). It's a pretty fun way to learn how java GUIs work.

What do you think about this look?

(quick edit; I'm only about 1/2 done reading the actual GUI documentation, the letters to the right aren't meant to be gray, I just have not changed them yet because they work a bit differently from the rest)

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
It looks pretty good. The status button looks a bit discordant. I guess you make it lighter when the status screen is active, but I feel you've overdone it a bit. It stands out way too much in my opinion.

I also notice a substantial empty space in the bottom left corner. Perhaps you could plug the clothing-indicating stick figure back in there? Maybe even add a second one for the opponent. I always found it quite useful to get an overview at a glance, without having to search the text.

I'm only about 1/2 done reading the actual GUI documentation

Documentation? In Night Games? Surely, sir, you are mistaken. No such thing.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
It looks pretty good. The status button looks a bit discordant. I guess you make it lighter when the status screen is active, but I feel you've overdone it a bit. It stands out way too much in my opinion.

Actually I have not really touched the status button yet, I think it's using awt/swing so it's probably a default.

Was taking a look at it, it's a bit annoying to change... (ok, very annoying)  but it's been done.

The code for clothing is still in there, but just setting it to visible doesn't seem to work... I think. I've never seen in action, so I'll have to take a better look at it when I'm done with the GUI code. (would help if you could tell me when / where it's supposed to show up).

Also documentation might be a strong word here, I sort of meant source code.

ss+(2015-12-18+at+12.42.53).png

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Yup, much better. Maybe you can make the status/inventory panels the same background color as the one with the skill buttons? I think that might give a better contrast between the scene text and the extra information.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Yup, much better. Maybe you can make the status/inventory panels the same background color as the one with the skill buttons? I think that might give a better contrast between the scene text and the extra information.

Tackled the letters instead, had to redo a few JLabel constructors but it's all good. There's still a lot of space for improvement (color coding, removing extraneous information and duplicates, maybe adding an actual visual representation for stuff) but it's a good start.

ss+(2015-12-18+at+04.29.22).png

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Fixed clock not updating during daytime, added yellow color codes for daytime time stamp and blue color codes for night time time stamp, as well as "am" and "pm" indicators (12 pm is currently 00:00 am, because reasons).  Finally added a title to the window (that was really bothering me).

I'm finally starting to understand how this works.

(edit: oh yeah the clock doesn't refresh properly the first time you land on the daytime menu, I should fix that)

(edit: forgot to mention, gave the bar titles colors again.)

v0.1.png

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015

Oh reading back, I realize you might've meant to ask to change the color not for the contrast with the letters but for the contrast with everything else. I did that originally but the separators made it look really bad. I am, however, able to disable the separators. However, I'm not convinced this is an improvement.

(as for the bottom right bar, I'm not certain why it's there. I'd need to look into it, but honestly I prefer the version with all the smaller boxes)

v0.1.png

One last post showing a side-by-side comparison before I get reported for spamming or something.

v0.1.png

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
I like the changes to the UI. it's always needed some work. The vanilla game and the mod have significantly different GUIs, but it would probably be fairly simple to adapt it. How well does it work at low resolutions? When I polled players on my development blog, I found that a majority of players were using fairly low resolution setups.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Oh cool, senpai noticed me.

The UI redesign has a few new dynamic adapters behind it - window now occupies 80% of the monitor on launch regardless of resolution, it actually launches with the window centered instead of on coordinates (0,0), I removed the part of the code that made it so the smaller the resolution the larger the command bar (I think that might be an unexpected edge case [ this.commandPanel.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(this.width, this.height / 5)); ]) and set it to a fixed value of 70 pixels (meaning it's down from the previous 200 pixel minimum), which accommodates two lines of buttons snugly. Edit: Sorry, it's been a really long day and my brain is starting to melt. What I meant to say was removing the 200 pixel lower limit, which caused the 1/5th of the monitor rule to be thrown out of the window on smaller resolutions and occupy inordinate amounts of space and just made it 70 pixels wide, or enough to fit two lines of buttons.

You've seen what it looks like at 1440p (from my screenshots), here's at 720p on the mod of the mod (my UI tweaks) and on the mod.

In terms of changes to the code, I tried to conserve most of it as it was, only changing two constructors and refactoring private variables to have more intuitive names. If you want to I can take a look at the original game and apply similar changes.

720p.png

720pOld.png

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Cool stuff! I admit I'm pretty terrible at UI design, and I've been pretty much haphazardly tacking on stuff to silverbard's original. I remember henry was originally working on somewhat of a UI redesign too, but I'm not so sure where he got where that.

If you want to polish it up and submit a pull request, I'd be glad to merge it in. That said, I'm on a business trip right now, so I probably wont be able to do it until 2/3 weeks later.

Cheers!

Edit: Invalid, you should check just to make sure that each screen is at least somewhat usable at really low res. I think only the closet UI was problematic last time, but someone with a 800x600 monitor apparently had issues. :\

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
I've been meaning to make both the side panels dynamic, might as well get it done now. That should maximize the usable space - although looking at the 800x600 display, the users might simply not be able to afford the portraits.

I'm very much a novice at programming and doubly so in design, but I'll try to submit a more polished version as a pull request (although I'll have to figure out github first, I've only ever downloaded stuff from it). I just finished creating a vector drawing of the map that was packaged with the code (nothing fancy, literally just black boxes and names), was hoping to add the map below the portrait. Might even make fancy highlighting for it later on, if I can figure that out.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Alright, I'm only half satisfied with the results, but I have to call it quits for today. I'll probably fix the text that is getting cut off on the description in the morning.

I've essentially determined that things get weird on 720p resolution and below (aside from the command buttons, but those need a full overhaul to work better), so I essentially created a dynamic resizing for those clients exclusively. 600p is not a lot of space to work with. I will most likely decrease font size to make the interface feel less cluttered, although I have no clue what kind of monitor size people using 600p have but I'm hoping it's at least 10''. 

I've got a working solution, but made a core design mistake - using primary monitor resolution instead of the amount of pixels on-screen to determine resizing. I'll try to get it fixed in the morning.

I'll leave you with what 600p looked like before, and what it looks like now. Do note the lack of a status button on the original. I had to cheat by using a larger resolution first to toggle it.

resizeOld.png

resizeNew.png

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
Oh, before I sign off, is this map OK?

View attachment 2465

Looks better than the one I made in MS Paint. Only issue I see is that it looks like the Liberal Arts building connects to the Chemistry Lab. It would probably also be useful to color code rooms by function.

I've essentially determined that things get weird on 720p resolution and below (aside from the command buttons, but those need a full overhaul to work better), so I essentially created a dynamic resizing for those clients exclusively. 600p is not a lot of space to work with. I will most likely decrease font size to make the interface feel less cluttered, although I have no clue what kind of monitor size people using 600p have but I'm hoping it's at least 10''. 

I've got a working solution, but made a core design mistake - using primary monitor resolution instead of the amount of pixels on-screen to determine resizing. I'll try to get it fixed in the morning.

I'll leave you with what 600p looked like before, and what it looks like now. Do note the lack of a status button on the original. I had to cheat by using a larger resolution first to toggle it.

The new design looks a lot more usable at low resolutions. The blue text on dark blue for the Mojo is pretty hard to read though, maybe a lighter shade?

Temptress

Dec 20, 2015
iIeQAGr.png

Just a bug report i think, maybe its just my character? But using Blow whilst you have a gal in the Oral Pin doesnt do a damn.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Looks better than the one I made in MS Paint. Only issue I see is that it looks like the Liberal Arts building connects to the Chemistry Lab. It would probably also be useful to color code rooms by function.

The new design looks a lot more usable at low resolutions. The blue text on dark blue for the Mojo is pretty hard to read though, maybe a lighter shade?

Changed the mojo color, now the bars almost look pastel. Fixed the map design, implemented it in the game. It should only show up when the player is navigating through the rooms, although I'll have to test that out thoroughly before I can say that with certainty. The map toggles with images and portraits. As for color coding the map, there's no doubt it'd be useful, but are you certain about this? A big part of the fun of the game is discovering what does what... showing the map spoils the actual amount of rooms, the only reason why I wanted to put it in was because I couldn't navigate the map even after playing for a sizable amount of time.

On the more bizarre side of things, somehow my adjustments ended up messing with the entire UI. Hopefully I'll be able to find what exactly is doing it soon.

weirdbug.png

Oh and sorry for the long delay in answering, I ended up sleeping for 24 hours.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
My current version is now on github. Once I deal with the issues that I mentioned there, I'll probably call it a day in terms of modding the UI.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Alright, this is probably going to be one of my last few posts regarding the UI. Further tweaks will be pushed on github, but they'll probably be minor in nature.

You'll need the map to run the mod's mod for now (in the assets folder), I'll fix the game crashing if you don't and the combat detection soon(tm).

finalfornow.png

map.png

kanany

Dec 20, 2015
i can't find added custom character.

i checked the character added message in game log.

but they do not appear.

where can I find them?

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
If you've added them correctly they should show up at the information broker in the place where you get more contestants, I think.

kanany

Dec 20, 2015
If you've added them correctly they should show up at the information broker in the place where you get more contestants, I think.

Thank you for your response.

but broker does not tell me anything.

I cannot found samantha and others. Do I need special conditions to it?

sorry for my broken english. \' -T

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Thank you for your response.

but broker does not tell me anything.

I cannot found samantha and others. Do I need special conditions to it?

sorry for my broken english. \' -T

As far as I know, you need to reach level 10 before the next tier of information broker options unlock, and additional competitors are one of those options.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
i can't find added custom character.

i checked the character added message in game log.

but they do not appear.

where can I find them?

If this hasn't solved itself yet, could you post the character file? Also, make sure that you have enough money to unlock them ($1000, I believe). If you can unlock them, but they don't appear in a match, that's just bad luck. A certain number of NPCs is selected each night, perhaps yours just wasn't chosen.

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
I feel like a total bonehead, I've tried a dozen and one times and still can't figure out how to run this. I've downloaded then extracted the .zip archive, extracted the .jar, told it to run using the most up to date Java (installed correctly according to the version checker) and nothing happens. The mouse cursor briefly goes into the loading wheel then nothing happens, no error message, no game running, nowt. Am I missing something obvious here?

Any advice for getting this running would be greatly appreciated.