Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
Same problem. Whether the archive's extracted or not, it won't "run" by double-clicking or give me an error. My next guess would be "I'm clicking the wrong thing" but in that case, what am I supposed to be clicking and where is it supposed to be? I realise I'm being vague but I'm genuinely clueless on the finer points of computer-ing.

ScarredEyes

Oct 13, 2015
Hmm... Just checking, but have you tried running other Java programs and see if you can actually run them? If you can't, then I imagine it mighht be a problem with your installed Java. Or your computer just being stupid.

I mighht be talking complete nonsense here, but maybe also using a shortcut? Right-click on the .jar file, click "create shortcut" , then use the shortcut created to attempt to run it?

Mountainmanmad

Dec 24, 2015
The Java  file is an executable. Double click it, don't extract it. 

I'm actually having this same problem. I extracted the .zip file, double clicked the executable, and it doesn't work. What I do get is a small box telling me that a Java Exception has occurred. I'm assuming that this is due to my files not being all together, but I'm not sure. I've played older versions of the Night Game's mod and I really enjoy it. If anyone can clear up this problem for me I would greatly appreciate it.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
I'm actually having this same problem. I extracted the .zip file, double clicked the executable, and it doesn't work. What I do get is a small box telling me that a Java Exception has occurred. I'm assuming that this is due to my files not being all together, but I'm not sure. I've played older versions of the Night Game's mod and I really enjoy it. If anyone can clear up this problem for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Would help if you could give more details on the exception.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015

The most likely cause for this is that your Java is outdated. The mod is compiled for Java 8, which you can download from java.com. Note that it's really, really important to always update your Java. Not so much for these games as for the security issues that always pop up. It's critical that you either don't install Java, or that you update it diligently.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
We could potentially add code to inform players that the game requires Java 8 if they attempt to launch it with previous versions... If that is indeed the issue at hand (would help if the people that were having the issue could tell us if updating java fixed their problems).

Mountainmanmad

Dec 24, 2015
We could potentially add code to inform players that the game requires Java 8 if they attempt to launch it with previous versions... If that is indeed the issue at hand (would help if the people that were having the issue could tell us if updating java fixed their problems).

I found that my Java was indeed out of date. However, I ran into an even bigger problem. I updated Java and suddenly I can't run any .Jar executable. I'm even in a worse position then I was in before. Still trying to solve this issue, but I'm not having much luck at the moment.

Edit:

After a bit of meddling on my own I finally got the game to work. I had to run the game through the command prompt as double clicking no longer works for some reason. Regardless, the answer to my original problem was that I failed to use the most recent version of Java.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
I found that my Java was indeed out of date. However, I ran into an even bigger problem. I updated Java and suddenly I can't run any .Jar executable. I'm even in a worse position then I was in before. Still trying to solve this issue, but I'm not having much luck at the moment.

Edit:

After a bit of meddling on my own I finally got the game to work. I had to run the game through the command prompt as double clicking no longer works for some reason. Regardless, the answer to my original problem was that I failed to use the most recent version of Java.

Assuming you're on a windows OS, I'd recommend going into Control Panel -> Default Programs and make sure a Java binary is associated with the .jar extension. 

Mountainmanmad

Dec 24, 2015
Assuming you're on a windows OS, I'd recommend going into Control Panel -> Default Programs and make sure a Java binary is associated with the .jar extension. 

Believe me, I've already tried that. I set the default program as Javaw.exe correct? I've tried that multiple times as well as the other executables just to see if it might work. So far I haven't had any luck.

Believe me, I've already tried that. I set the default program as Javaw.exe correct? I've tried that multiple times as well as the other executables just to see if it might work. So far I haven't had any luck.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I've been working on some additions and updates for a bit now, and all is going well. Today, I read an anonymous comment (here, 29 dec, 2:20pm) on The Silver Bard's blog which suggested a way to allow characters to comment on the situation more than what is currently possible. The current situation is quite restrictive, and only allows hard-coded one-liners in specific situations. I liked this idea, so I went ahead and wrote a framework to allow considerably more such comments to be added. Right now, there are 48 situations defined and more are easy to add. Needless to say, to write all of those for all characters would be a monumental task indeed, so I've made it so that it doesn't matter if some situations are missing; there just won't be a comment. Still, more is better, so if anyone feels inspired to write some witty/charming/seductive one-liners, check the list below or make your own suggestion for a situation, and I'll plug it in. I'll be writing quite a few myself, of course, but I can not/will not write 48*9=432 lines all by myself. Again, I don't need all of those, but, like I said, more is better. Even more is even better, when there are multiple lines I can pick from them randomly.

These are the situations in which characters may give a comment:

-While fucking [vaginally/anally], character is [dominant/submissive], [pitcher/catcher] and [winning/losing]. (That's 16 already)

-While in <stance>, character is [dominant/submissive] and [winning/losing]

<stance> = one of these: behind/69/mount/pin/nursing (dom only)/facesitting (dom only)

-While having one of these statuses: bound/horny/oiled/cockbound

-While the player has one of these statuses: bound/horny/oiled/cockbound/stunned/trance/charmed/enthralled

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Are you committing the changes on github? I'd love to take a look when possible, and additionally I want to make sure I'm not working on the same part as you are for obvious reasons.

Also I'm still alive, but am and have been largely unavailable until mid February, so I'll only be posting potential improvements or additions if I'm procrastinating.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Are you committing the changes on github? I'd love to take a look when possible, and additionally I want to make sure I'm not working on the same part as you are for obvious reasons.

Right here: https://github.com/dndw/nightgamesmod/commit/bdb8f0f2437c1bbce5212cfe3a521f6af20cbe3e

And this is the file you'll probably be most interested in: https://github.com/dndw/nightgamesmod/blob/new-match-type/NightgamesMod/nightgames/characters/custom/CommentSituation.java

The branch name is a bit of a spoiler as well.

Edit: As for not working on the same parts, that's pretty hopeless at this point. I figured since I was doing a pretty major overhaul, I might as well run a clean-up. That modified pretty much every file, so merge conflicts are inevitable. Except with the master branch, since that hasn't been updated in a while.

FrostedBurn

Sep 21, 2015
Hello! Discovered this mod about a week ago and absolutely love it (especially Angel <3). Sadly I come with  a problem. I cannot seem to buy an empty bottle. I have looked in my save file and it does say I have the rank 1 flag, but still no bottle. Something I missed?

Anyway thank you for this lovely mod, with or without a silly empty bottle.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Hello! Discovered this mod about a week ago and absolutely love it (especially Angel <3). Sadly I come with  a problem. I cannot seem to buy an empty bottle. I have looked in my save file and it does say I have the rank 1 flag, but still no bottle. Something I missed?

Anyway thank you for this lovely mod, with or without a silly empty bottle.

You can't actually buy a bottle. I will assume that your goal is to get Reyka's transformation options, because that's the only thing I can think of that you could want a bottle for. In that case, a flag is set that allows you to collect semen when masturbating out of combat. A bottle is mentioned in the text, but not added to the inventory and not required for the collection. If you've spoken to Reyka about transformations and cannot collect semen even if your arousal is >50%, then there is a problem.

This setup does seem a little strange, since Reyka and Mara do get to use actual bottles.

FrostedBurn

Sep 21, 2015
You can't actually buy a bottle. I will assume that your goal is to get Reyka's transformation options, because that's the only thing I can think of that you could want a bottle for. In that case, a flag is set that allows you to collect semen when masturbating out of combat. A bottle is mentioned in the text, but not added to the inventory and not required for the collection. If you've spoken to Reyka about transformations and cannot collect semen even if your arousal is >50%, then there is a problem.

This setup does seem a little strange, since Reyka and Mara do get to use actual bottles.

My actual intent was to get the Angel transformations. Of course you did say I can't get a bottle, so I guess I'll just have to save edit them in. May I ask how to do it? I tried before but I think I either did something wrong or just spelled it wrong.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
My actual intent was to get the Angel transformations. Of course you did say I can't get a bottle, so I guess I'll just have to save edit them in. May I ask how to do it? I tried before but I think I either did something wrong or just spelled it wrong.

Editing in a bottle will only work if your opponent has a dick; it won't do anything for masturbation. You can add the "masturbationSemen" flag at the bottom of the file (in the "flags" section, much to everyone's surprise), and that will allow you to collect semen through masturbation. The text will mention Reyka, though. Since I'm working on a bunch of stuff anyway, I'll whip up a fix for this as well. If you do want the bottle, open the file and search for the line

"type" : "Player"

Then scroll down until you reach your inventory. Add a line "EmptyBottle":1 anywhere in there, but make sure all of the entries except the last have a comma at the end.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Er I thought I made it so you could buy a bottle?

Or is that still in the unreleased branch..? It's been too long I can't remember :(

It's on github though, the requirements look to be just be rank 1

(https://github.com/nergantre/nightgamesmod/blob/857262861c0dff7b2f575c10119d22aa79159e12/NightgamesMod/nightgames/daytime/HWStore.java#L49)

Are you looking in the hardware store?

Meh. I somehow managed to miss it, but you are right. It was late, okay?

So to be clear, to get a bottle you need rank 1+ and buy it from the hardware store. It will allow you to 'harvest' from dick-wielding opponents.

If you speak to Reyka about transformations, you can collect your own semen from masturbation without a bottle.

Pedantic

Oct 21, 2015
Is there a new download for this yet since the main post was updated?

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
No official releases since nergante has been unavailable for the past few weeks. My UI tweaks got merged with dndw's changes on github if you have the know-how to make that work. If not you'll just have to wait until nergante can get around to merging changes, if he is so inclined.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Is there a new download for this yet since the main post was updated?

No official releases since nergante has been unavailable for the past few weeks. My UI tweaks got merged with dndw's changes on github if you have the know-how to make that work. If not you'll just have to wait until nergante can get around to merging changes, if he is so inclined.

If you do decide to pull my version from GitHub, make sure to pick the master branch. The other is a little unstable as of yet.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Now that I'm looking at the map again, I don't really like how it turned out. I think I'll try to change it to a display that only shows the adjacent room when I have some time.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Now that I'm looking at the map again, I don't really like how it turned out. I think I'll try to change it to a display that only shows the adjacent room when I have some time.

Not to be rude, but what would be the point? We can already see the adjacent rooms just from the buttons. The map could help people look beyond the adjacent rooms to find a path to places that are further away, but if you don't show those, then I don't see the purpose anymore.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Not to be rude, but what would be the point? We can already see the adjacent rooms just from the buttons. The map could help people look beyond the adjacent rooms to find a path to places that are further away, but if you don't show those, then I don't see the purpose anymore.

Because it is actually near impossible to view it correctly with both very high ppi monitors (I simply can't read the text on my surface tablet hybrid) and very low resolution monitors. Additionally, I noticed that there was some hinting that the base game might get some more game areas further down the line (restricted floor), and getting a more adaptable solution would allow an easier implementation of that.

There's also a personal perspective in it - I would love to add some procedurally generated dugeons in an underground level, but since that strays from the focus of this project I won't be pitching that concept.

The map idea somewhat bothered me from the start because it completely nullifies a whole section of exploration for the players. I could place a button under the visual navigation element to display the map, and have sections appear as players explore it. I could even color-code them according the functionalities as they explore the rooms and discover the different uses they might have. That way we might get the best of both worlds. Would probably require a bit of rewriting how rooms are handled though.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Because it is actually near impossible to view it correctly with both very high ppi monitors (I simply can't read the text on my surface tablet hybrid) and very low resolution monitors. Additionally, I noticed that there was some hinting that the base game might get some more game areas further down the line (restricted floor), and getting a more adaptable solution would allow an easier implementation of that.

There's also a personal perspective in it - I would love to add some procedurally generated dugeons in an underground level, but since that strays from the focus of this project I won't be pitching that concept.

The map idea somewhat bothered me from the start because it completely nullifies a whole section of exploration for the players. I could place a button under the visual navigation element to display the map, and have sections appear as players explore it. I could even color-code them according the functionalities as they explore the rooms and discover the different uses they might have. That way we might get the best of both worlds. Would probably require a bit of rewriting how rooms are handled though.

I see your point about the monitors; I can't see the map at all on my 1366x780 screen, but on my full-hd laptop it works fine. Still, my point about the usefulness of the map in that case remains.

Procedurally generating a map would require some significant changes to the existing system, but it's possible. If you're interested, I still have a (very ugly) map generation procedure left over from Nessun Dorma. I've attached the class if you want to take a look. It probably won't be of much use, but posting it can't hurt. If you want to see it in action, you'll have to play the game.

The biggest change for Night Games would be a complete replacement of the Movement enum. By their nature, enums cannot be added to at runtime, so procedural generation is impossible. To fix that, one would have to write a completely new class to replace it, and then work that into the existing code. Not easy, but certainly possible.

View attachment MapImage.java

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the files, I'm certain they'll be a good read and a good reference for what I want to do.

Replacing the movement system doesn't sound like it would be too problematic, although it might be a bit time consuming. Ideally the whole dungeon system should be done by June, although I have no expectations on getting it merged with the main mod (or, as a matter of fact, released at all). I should be able to provide a standalone change to the movement system and the map tweaks I mentioned should nergantre be interested.

I like how you dealt with map display, pretty simple & solid look.

FrostedBurn

Sep 21, 2015
Editing in a bottle will only work if your opponent has a dick; it won't do anything for masturbation. You can add the "masturbationSemen" flag at the bottom of the file (in the "flags" section, much to everyone's surprise), and that will allow you to collect semen through masturbation. The text will mention Reyka, though. Since I'm working on a bunch of stuff anyway, I'll whip up a fix for this as well. If you do want the bottle, open the file and search for the line

"type" : "Player"

Then scroll down until you reach your inventory. Add a line "EmptyBottle":1 anywhere in there, but make sure all of the entries except the last have a comma at the end.

Ah okay, thanks for the help! On a side note I was poking around github and saw that the girls have a prefered cock mod. How many days in do they normally get it, or is it pure chance?