Your Gripes With CoC2

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
In one of Aileh's pregnancy scenes we enter the tower to find her and Daliza talking. During this scene Daliza is described as sitting in a camping chair with a blanket while sipping from a bottle of vodka. The usage of "camping chair" and "vodka" broke the immersion for me.

I'm not sure what a bronze age society considers a "camping chair" to be but personally my mind was instantly drawn to the modern day chairs that are made of aluminum and fabric that fold up. Isn't camping a modern invention anyways? Wouldn't it just be considered traveling or adventuring to everyone else? Call it a "travel chair" or heck just drop the descriptive text altogether and just go with "chair"

My bigger gripe comes from the offhand use of the word "vodka" in a world where Poland, Russia and Sweden don't exist. I seem to recall that in other scenes whenever hard liquor gets brought up the drink itself is usually written out and described instead of casually name dropped like that. Scenes with sake in them written by Tobs are very cleverly done in such a way that it feels reasonable for their introduction. The champion is unfamiliar with the name of the beverage and can do little more than describe its visual appearance, smell and/or taste during those scenes. Yet somehow the Champ is able to walk into a room and instantly recognize a alcoholic drink that's first written record of existing was in the year 1405 in Poland? Not really buying that one.

Its not so much the alcohol being there as it is the word "vodka" being casually dropped that bugs me. Words like beer, mead, ale and wine are just broad enough in my mind that they work without breaking immersion but vodka is just a bit too specific due to the etymology. I'm sure that Belharans would easily have some sort of equivalent, just with a different name.

pope

Sep 16, 2023
Papal States
Don't like how the dream is a requirement for unlocking Viviane. It wouldn't be an issue if it didn't force your character to cum. None of this would be a problem if the game didn't spaz out when you use a save editor.

Also, 4chan was right. This game has a serious lack of player agency, and is inferior to the original because of it.

Tamsee

Mar 2, 2018
In all fairness, CoC1 is a post-apocalyptic world, with no states or authorities aside from what little power some communities can enforce by means of small scouting parties. While I will agree that some parts of CoC2 definitely shafted the champion, overall we will never be as free as in Mareth.

Django

Apr 14, 2017
My only grip is not being able to raise Kinu. As I hate the fact she resents the Champion for not being there. I get the fact of fast forwarding her age but I wish at the very least have her have memories/dreams of the champion being there. Even have a way if you were Kitsune have like instances where there is a fox in the Astral realm that appears to her in the colours of the type of fur you have it can be a random event or something but I Digress, other then that its all pretty good after not playing for 6-5 years

Furiae

Jan 7, 2021
Also, 4chan was right.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's not go totally crazy and say shit we can't take back. (also now I know you're not really the pope)

This game has a serious lack of player agency, and is inferior to the original because of it.
I mean, I am still butthurt I can't choose to champion the druids or become a magical catgirl, but it's hard for me to say this game is inferior. I've replayed through coc1 recently, and it feels like...you ever watch Evangelion? The last episode, where Shinji goes all scribbly in a white void because they ran out of moneyto show a world of total freedom, and he was just "?" until Gendo drew a horizon line? "Now you're less free, but things make more sense," pretty much? That's the difference between coc1 and 2 to me. You can't be a six-titted nipplecunted centaur that walks around naked anymore, but you get better worldbuilding. There's tradeoffs.

Gabranth

Apr 26, 2023
This, so much this.

Oh, my precious little fox, only kid I bring to life in these games.

Then again, it just adds to the many gripes many people have with the Kitsune.

Nothing's gonna change, but hey, at least we can keep talking about it.

Django

Apr 14, 2017
This, so much this.

Oh, my precious little fox, only kid I bring to life in these games.

Then again, it just adds to the many gripes many people have with the Kitsune.

Nothing's gonna change, but hey, at least we can keep talking about it.
As a whole I do not have a problem with the kitsune myself as I am intrigued with Japanese culture, but its the fact if it was Aster, freja or anyone else I would still feel the same way.

Last edited:

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
My only grip is not being able to raise Kinu. As I hate the fact she resents the Champion for not being there.
I can't recall this scene perfectly myself but isn't she understanding about it? Like she expresses that she's frustrated by the Champ's absence but she also says she understands that it was out of the Champ's control due to astral plane magic goodness.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, I'd go check for myself but I haven't freed Kiyoko yet in my latest save.

Django

Apr 14, 2017
I can't recall this scene perfectly myself but isn't she understanding about it? Like she expresses that she's frustrated by the Champ's absence but she also says she understands that it was out of the Champ's control due to astral plane magic goodness.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, I'd go check for myself but I haven't freed Kiyoko yet in my latest save.
Its not totally implied but the dialogue with Kiyoko where she stops herself when she says ''something changed in her when, oh never mind what matters is we are together now", and the fact she is very robotic with you whereas with Kiyoko and the other kitsunes she is very friendly towards them and the dialogue you have with her when you speak to her to me feels very resentful given you taught her how to hide emotions and the champion always seems to notice it. and also its kinda implied with who she marries in both, with kitsune hume she marries a person who dislikes you, with inari shoujo she marries some who is like you. it is subtle for some things but obvious in others.

Ace Hangman

Sep 16, 2021
... she expresses that she's frustrated by the Champ's absence but she also says she understands that it was out of the Champ's control due to astral plane magic goodness.
Yes, she says she and Kiyoko performed a divination that said you'd never return, but that they also knew you were alive and it was because Kiyoko's imprisonment was coming to an end. She also understands there was nothing to be done about it.

and also its kinda implied with who she marries in both, with kitsune hume she marries a person who dislikes you, with inari shoujo she marries some who is like you. it is subtle for some things but obvious in others.
That might be true, but I don't think it was meant to be a subtle reflection of her relationship with Champ. I think one way is just that she was raised as a Den Mother and princess (depending on your choices, either in the interaction with Champ or as her making decisions in her vignettes). One method raised her to think of the clan and family and community as a whole and also to honor her elders decisions, the other taught her to be more inclined towards personal freedoms.

So in one variation, she'll choose to marry someone her mother approves of (and who would be a more acceptable husband for someone of her station) and in the other she chooses someone who she wants to (though I always get the impression she loves both choices equally, just depending on her upbringing is what makes her gravitate towards that choice). But that's just a personal opinion and observation.

Reactions: Cannibal Cravings

Django

Apr 14, 2017
Yes, she says she and Kiyoko performed a divination that said you'd never return, but that they also knew you were alive and it was because Kiyoko's imprisonment was coming to an end. She also understands there was nothing to be done about it.

That might be true, but I don't think it was meant to be a subtle reflection of her relationship with Champ. I think one way is just that she was raised as a Den Mother and princess (depending on your choices, either in the interaction with Champ or as her making decisions in her vignettes). One method raised her to think of the clan and family and community as a whole and also to honor her elders decisions, the other taught her to be more inclined towards personal freedoms.

So in one variation, she'll choose to marry someone her mother approves of (and who would be a more acceptable husband for someone of her station) and in the other she chooses someone who she wants to (though I always get the impression she loves both choices equally, just depending on her upbringing is what makes her gravitate towards that choice). But that's just a personal opinion and observation.
Yeah the lessons without you lead to Mother den or Farmer but if you were there would lead to something else. kiyoko says ''I think after you stopped being able to visit something clicked within her, be it from the responsibility of her life or the realisation that you -ah, forgive me. what matter is now that we are reunited as a family, is it not?'' she has to stop herself cause I bet kinu was either repressing her feelings or showing them, which we know she learns to hide them or speak up to either make others happy or herself happy and that is a lesson done by the champion that affirms for me that kinu was broken a little bit. even her mother sensed it as her training was leading towards one of the two paths. which would probably lead to combination of both if you were there. in essence she does resent you there is moments when you spend time with kinu that the champion sees right through that she has resentment towards the champion. she hides it well but its subtle in the dialogue.

Last edited:

Cannibal Cravings

Jan 17, 2023
Its not totally implied but the dialogue with Kiyoko where she stops herself when she says ''something changed in her when, oh never mind what matters is we are together now"
To me this was more of an acknowledgment of Kinu losing her childhood. Eventually as time went on she realized she couldn't be the spoiled kit who got fruits and pets from the Champ anymore so she stepped up and matured. Assuming this dialogue doesn't change based on whether or not you get hime or shoujo kinu of course. If its the same line regardless then it could also be seen as Kiyoko talking about when shoujo kinu finally decided to fully rebel against her mothers teachings.

the fact she is very robotic with you whereas with Kiyoko and the other kitsunes she is very friendly towards them
She's not robotic she's just mindful of her station and the Champ's. She's aware that acting like a spoiled child is unbecoming of her position. Its kind of a weeby and extreme depiction of Japanese culture but they place extreme importance on respecting their elders. It may not seem like it but Kinu is being friendly with the Champ even if her responses feel a bit cold due to her formal tone. If its hime Kinu we're talking about I'd argue that her friendliness towards the other kitsune is a measured reaction meant to maintain outward appearances.

The dialogue you have with her when you speak to her to me feels very resentful given you taught her how to hide emotions and the champion always seems to notice it.
I Disagree. To me its the perfect depiction of someone who is trying to do things alone so as not to worry or burden the people close to them that they care about. It doesn't help that due to her proclivity for learning things quickly she puts a lot of stress on herself to be able to do things correctly. Furthermore Kinu is aware of the Champ's mission to stop a demon invasion, it wouldn't be a big assumption to say that Kinu didn't want to put any additional stress on her dad by talking about things that may be distracting from your bigger mission at hand. We see this same logic with how Kiyoko responds to the Champ when they bring up Kinu's engagement. Kiyoko tells the Champ to their face that she didn't want the Champ to worry over it and that's why she didn't say anything. Hime Kinu probably follows the same thought process.

Also its kinda implied with who she marries in both, with kitsune hume she marries a person who dislikes you, with inari shoujo she marries some who is like you. it is subtle for some things but obvious in others.
I have to agree with what Ace said in their post. I think that Kinu's marriage candidates is more of a reflection of her relationship with Kiyoko and her acceptance of her position as a future den mother rather than how she feels about the Champ. Don't interpret this as an insult or anything but to me its a bit narcissistic to assume that your child would marry someone just because they did or didn't like you.

My final point is this; If Kinu really was resentful towards the Champ why would she allow the Champ to pet her? Its not like she can't refuse, we see her do this when the Champ tries to touch her tails/face depending on the version. We know that kitsune don't treat headpats and whatnot lightly due to their physiology and they are very careful with who they allow to pet or touch them due to it. No matter how friendly you're pretending to be towards someone I find it highly unlikely a kitsune would allow someone they secretly resented to touch them in such an intimate fashion. Thoughts?

Reactions: Emerald

Django

Apr 14, 2017
To me this was more of an acknowledgment of Kinu losing her childhood. Eventually as time went on she realized she couldn't be the spoiled kit who got fruits and pets from the Champ anymore so she stepped up and matured. Assuming this dialogue doesn't change based on whether or not you get hime or shoujo kinu of course. If its the same line regardless then it could also be seen as Kiyoko talking about when shoujo kinu finally decided to fully rebel against her mothers teachings.

She's not robotic she's just mindful of her station and the Champ's. She's aware that acting like a spoiled child is unbecoming of her position. Its kind of a weeby and extreme depiction of Japanese culture but they place extreme importance on respecting their elders. It may not seem like it but Kinu is being friendly with the Champ even if her responses feel a bit cold due to her formal tone. If its hime Kinu we're talking about I'd argue that her friendliness towards the other kitsune is a measured reaction meant to maintain outward appearances.

I Disagree. To me its the perfect depiction of someone who is trying to do things alone so as not to worry or burden the people close to them that they care about. It doesn't help that due to her proclivity for learning things quickly she puts a lot of stress on herself to be able to do things correctly. Furthermore Kinu is aware of the Champ's mission to stop a demon invasion, it wouldn't be a big assumption to say that Kinu didn't want to put any additional stress on her dad by talking about things that may be distracting from your bigger mission at hand. We see this same logic with how Kiyoko responds to the Champ when they bring up Kinu's engagement. Kiyoko tells the Champ to their face that she didn't want the Champ to worry over it and that's why she didn't say anything. Hime Kinu probably follows the same thought process.

I have to agree with what Ace said in their post. I think that Kinu's marriage candidates is more of a reflection of her relationship with Kiyoko and her acceptance of her position as a future den mother rather than how she feels about the Champ. Don't interpret this as an insult or anything but to me its a bit narcissistic to assume that your child would marry someone just because they did or didn't like you.

My final point is this; If Kinu really was resentful towards the Champ why would she allow the Champ to pet her? Its not like she can't refuse, we see her do this when the Champ tries to touch her tails/face depending on the version. We know that kitsune don't treat headpats and whatnot lightly due to their physiology and they are very careful with who they allow to pet or touch them due to it. No matter how friendly you're pretending to be towards someone I find it highly unlikely a kitsune would allow someone they secretly resented to touch them in such an intimate fashion. Thoughts?
Her losing her childhood was a combination of both losing the champion for 10 years not seeing your parent for 10 years I am sorry but will have a negative impact on a child regardless if they understand whatever the parent is doing for them will still be a major component in her and her mother either raising her to become hime or shoujo, which is influenced by you even though without you its a bit of a coin toss, because if you went straight to komori to free kiyoko after kinu is born she still becomes hime, her being robotic is only towards you its like she is either scared, unsure, angry, resentful or multiple combinations of feelings. There are moments during The Princess blade quest-line where she doesn't look at you while explaining what happened. as for if she was resentful why did she allow the champ to pet her well its Japanese culture and tradition that the daughters don't disrespect the parents as its Japanese family hierarchy so I don't think she can outright deny a request from the father. even if he isn't kitsune, I don't know how much is taken from japanese culture for the kitsunes but if its a lot could be some repercussions for kinu being eligible to be a den mother given she isn't born from from 100% royalty regardless unless perhaps you are kitsune and become some sort of king when COC2 ends the main storyline sorry for the random tangent, But anyway, the choices of who the marriage candidates are is a reflection on the champion as well, lets not forget komari could have said no too for the hime kinu candidate as much as her kiyoko could say no for shoujo kinu's candidate just depends on who can outright say no to who given both having high rankings in the eyes of keros for two different reasons, so kinu choosing one of the two depending on the path you put her on towards is a reflection of you, She can't outright deny her father or mother even if she does resent the champion if we are basing the kitsune off of Japanses culture and tradition. but its tricky as how much can be ignored if its an outsider or someone without nobility or some form of hierarchy.

Reactions: Colaymorak

Veilwolf

Sep 6, 2018
Somewhere In The U.S Wasteland
I know I'm gonna get some shit for this but A level Cap Really!!! the original CoC had no level cap from what I could tell I had a level 122 Demonic Dragon.
I hit max level which is level 7 locked sitting at 150000/150000 Exp I really like being overpowerd as hell sure its already easy but thats besides the point.

Veilwolf

Sep 6, 2018
Somewhere In The U.S Wasteland
Pretty sure soloing isn't an intended playstyle for this game.
I miss the old CoC days I wonder who'd win our created champion from CoC versus the Champion and their Companions in CoC2 my vote is on my CoC1 character a hermy mass mountain of muscle and might.

Loveless

May 29, 2022
I know I'm gonna get some shit for this but A level Cap Really!!! the original CoC had no level cap from what I could tell I had a level 122 Demonic Dragon.
I hit max level which is level 7 locked sitting at 150000/150000 Exp I really like being overpowerd as hell sure its already easy but thats besides the point.
Ehh, the two games are going for completely different gameplay styles. With CoC2 being based on DnD while the original CoC taking inspiration from traditional Western RPGs, it's not a super fair comparison. The games are simply built from completely different foundations.
I miss the old CoC days I wonder who'd win our created champion from CoC versus the Champion and their Companions in CoC2 my vote is on my CoC1 character a hermy mass mountain of muscle and might.
Oh don't get started, you'll bring all the insane power-scalers here (me). If anyone cares I can give a longer more hypothetical answer but right now I'll say, they're equal unless CoC2 Champ soulbinds in which case they're stronger than CoC1 champ. They face similar main antagonists so their peaks should be close.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
There was a soft level cap in the original - eventually, enemies would stop giving XP. There was a bug where you could avoid leveling up to continue gaining XP at low levels, then spend it all at once. In the course of normal play, if you ground Kiha spars, you might make it to level 25 or so after a lot of grinding before she gave 0 XP.

Something like level 122 is modded content shenanigans.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
the original CoC had no level cap from what I could tell
It did throughout its development (I can't remember if it was soft or hard early on, but it was definitely a pretty tight cap). Level 5 was the cap fairly early (back in the days when the Minotaur was the toughest enemy!), then level 10 for quite a while after the Factory dungeon was added. Wasn't until pretty late that you had content to go all the way to 20 with, which is what the final dungeon was "balanced" around.

During development, CoC1, TiTS, and CoC2 have all pursued a philosophy of keeping player level restrained to the challenges actually in-game at the time, and raising the cap as more areas and enemies are added.

For anyone that's wondering, Level 8 will probably be accompanying the next Main Story dungeon (that is, the MSQ AFTER the one I'm finishing up now).

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
Ehh, the two games are going for completely different gameplay styles. With CoC2 being based on DnD while the original CoC taking inspiration from traditional Western RPGs, it's not a super fair comparison. The games are simply built from completely different foundations.

Oh don't get started, you'll bring all the insane power-scalers here (me). If anyone cares I can give a longer more hypothetical answer but right now I'll say, they're equal unless CoC2 Champ soulbinds in which case they're stronger than CoC1 champ. They face similar main antagonists so their peaks should be close.
Not too sure about that last part. Unless Kasyrra is somehow stronger than Lethice or
Marae
I don't think the COC2 MC has anything on the COC1 MC.

Loveless

May 29, 2022
Not too sure about that last part. Unless Kasyrra is somehow stronger than Lethice
It's hard to quantify how strong Lethice technically is, but although a natural prodigy she is often depicted to be lazy, dumb and overly arrogant and Alissa shows how complacency destroy the strength of a powerful warrior. I don't think it is unfair to say Kas is close in terms of power to her, although in brute strength Lethice is definitely ahead. The one way I can see an argument of Lethice being massively ahead of Kas is with the amount of souls Lethice has consumed, but we don't know how much stronger eating a soul makes a demon.

And this may be a bit wanky but I'd say killing a Wraith that was equal to a weakened Lumia (even if it was with help) is far more impressive to anything CoC1 Champ has done. This can just be base Champ too without any soulbinds.

Reactions: Savin and Emerald

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
And this may be a bit wanky but I'd say killing a Wraith that was equal to a weakened Lumia (even if it was with help) is far more impressive to anything CoC1 Champ has done. This can just be base Champ too without any soulbinds.
Yeah but I think you can also fight
Marae
in COC1 to get some armor who for some reason is much stronger than Lethice. I'm also a bit iffy about that whole wraith thing. Like if we're that strong why is Kasyrra such a big deal if we can take down something equivalent to a weakened god. If anyone has the details of that encounter ready, can you please share because I think Lumia was also helping out in that particular fight too. Also man did you change your profile picture because
Goatjo got unceremoniously offscreened by Fraudkuna
?

Edit: ignore point about
Marae
completely, it's wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingu2

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Fighting Marae is modded content.

Within a handful of posts, two conflations of modded content with vanilla.

This is why we don't endorse mods of this game.

Reactions: Cannibal Cravings

Loveless

May 29, 2022
I'm also a bit iffy about that whole wraith thing. Like if we're that strong why is Kasyrra such a big deal if we can take down something equivalent to a weakened god. If anyone has the details of that encounter ready, can you please share because I think Lumia was also helping out in that particular fight too.
Lumia only helps you:

1) At the start of the fight, she inflicts a massive debuff to the Wraith if you guessed the killer correctly.
2) At the end of the fight were she banishes the Wraith out.

It's hard to scale killing the Godfeaster because of how many moving levers that mission has. The Champ can inflict massive damage on the Wraith with the help of Lumia AND have a broken blade that is made specifically to kill Wraith, but they can also very well not have any of those advantages. If you take all the possibilities of the game at face value you would have a Champ:

1) Strong enough to defeat Kas at Winter City.
2) Defeat a Lureling in it's own territory with no help.
3) Kill a Wraith with minimal assistance from a God.

You can see how insane this quickly gets.

JJK spoilers:
Goatjo got unceremoniously offscreened by Fraudkuna
Sukuna got taught Off-Screen Haki by Blackbeard.