Where is NT going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
In such a situation I would make the argument of what is the price of consent and its removal? For your example I present the case we see in the movie/book My Sister's Keeper where the exactly moral quandary you posed is presented and the removal would result in a significant drop in the non consenting party's quality of life.

Further more the question you are really asking is at what point is one person's free will more important then another person's free will because a person who cannot consent has no free will.

YES, I like it. ONE we can work with. If we have free will then our consent is a will retraction of our free will. NOW we have one. I can go with one and that one being free will.

Oh my word . . . is that . . . concensus? Holy moley!

Last edited by a moderator:

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
YES, I like it. ONE we can work with. If we have free will then our consent is a will retraction of our free will. NOW we have one. I can go with one and that one being free will.

Oh my word . . . is that . . . concensus? Holy moley!

You are very fun to debate with. I like you.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
The concise way to say my opinion is that one person's free will stops where another person's starts. You can do whatever you want to yourself and to people who consent, but the minute you involve a non-consenting or unknowing individual you've crossed the line.

Note that by "consent" I mean "informed consent" which doesn't really apply to New Texas IMO because no one is informed. Everyone is basically brainwashed into thinking the Treatment is basically tits on toast BY the Treatment itself so it can be pretty difficult to inform people of the consequences. Reaha formed her view of it through observation, which is not something that everyone is going to have either the opportunity to obtain or the mind to comprehend.

Darkfirephoenix

Oct 19, 2015
You have obviously NOT run the Reaha quest line or slept through it to do something other than pay attention. The crux of the rest of your expressed point of view relies almost completely on a parent's right to choose not only for it's children but every generation thereafter. I presume by the sparks of intelligence in your long expression that you can see the flaws in such?

I HAVE run the Reaha quest line and I also don't find it ok that society FORCES people on NT to take the Treatment.

But: It is THEIR Society and as such THEIR thing what they do no matter how fucked up it is that they do. You as a outsider have no RIGHT to tell them what they should and shouldn't do. As I have said MULTIPLE times: The only thing you could really do is force/encourage their society to make the treatment a choice. If you force them to make the Treatment illegal/DESTROY the treatment you are not much better than the people/society on NT as YOU force THEM to follow YOUR view of things/the values of YOUR society.

The very problem is human nature/psychology: We have a NEED to build groups/societies and how do we do that? Simple: We only let other individuals in that "fall in line" and enforce that individuals "stay in line", otherwise they aren't part of the group/society anymore.

Most people here seem to want to force THEIR values of society onto NT and THEIR society under the pretext: "People have the right to choose how they wanna live", BUT by FORCING NT to stop Treating people/DESTROYING the treatment YOU YOURSELF go against your OWN argument, YOU TOOK THEIR CHOICE. So if you say "People have the right to choose" AND MEAN IT you would only be allowed to "force" them into making the treatment a CHOICE.

Also regarding NT brainwashing their people: OUR OWN SOCIETY/SOCIETIES IN GENERAL DOE/S THE SAME THING! It is just not so openly visible BUT they are still using "brainwashing"! Now most people think "Brainwashing is changing peoples mind via FORCED means/drugs/machines", that is not entirely true. That is FORCED brainwashing, but there is also "educational" brainwashing: Teaching people how they should behave/act "encouraged" by punishment OR rewards (also via "leading by example") and that over a longer period of time.

WE teach OUR kids how to behave, what values are "right" or "wrong" etc. but at the end it is just another form of Brainwashing/conditioning.

Tl/dr: You yourself have no right to FORCE the end of the Treatment/destroying it. That would make you JUST AS bad as the Society on NT. The only thing you could/should do is "force" them to make the Treatment a choice.

FatLizard

Aug 28, 2016
I fucking love you people.

Took some glances through the posts and have a question.  I saw a lot of mention of women being suppressed by the treatment but why nothing on how the men end up?  Both genders as far as I can tell are enslaved to the treatment due to a cultural expectancy to take it as soon as you turn 18.  I imagine 18 because, as someone mentioned cultural ideals, that is a cultural ideal for age of willful consent in some countries where it is lower in several others.  I wouldn't be surprised that some countries don't even have an age of consent.  Anyways, just thought to point out that in sexual situations and societal situations the women is often seen as getting the short end of the stick though there are times the guys can have it just as bad.  As far as the treatment goes the women do seem to get the worst out of the deal.  I imagine this probably comes from the stigma in many cultures that only men enjoy sexual situations and women aren't getting satisfaction from the act.  I don't mean in a physical sense, more like they do it because they are wives or there is a social idea that if a man does something for them they should respond with sex.  I think I got side tracked.  I guess I can only echo that a culture with a social expectance of adherence to traditions practiced for generations that another doesn't have as traditions can only look on.  To attempt a major change or complete reversal of such traditions most often leads to conflict.  We see it often enough in our world.  I have gotten this far only to realize I haven't really made any points, only spat out ideas. Meh.  Also Keith David is one of the best voice actors ever. 

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
I HAVE run the Reaha quest line and I also don't find it ok that society FORCES people on NT to take the Treatment.

But: It is THEIR Society and as such THEIR thing what they do no matter how fucked up it is that they do. You as a outsider have no RIGHT to tell them what they should and shouldn't do. As I have said MULTIPLE times: The only thing you could really do is force/encourage their society to make the treatment a choice. If you force them to make the Treatment illegal/DESTROY the treatment you are not much better than the people/society on NT as YOU force THEM to follow YOUR view of things/the values of YOUR society.

The very problem is human nature/psychology: We have a NEED to build groups/societies and how do we do that? Simple: We only let other individuals in that "fall in line" and enforce that individuals "stay in line", otherwise they aren't part of the group/society anymore.

Most people here seem to want to force THEIR values of society onto NT and THEIR society under the pretext: "People have the right to choose how they wanna live", BUT by FORCING NT to stop Treating people/DESTROYING the treatment YOU YOURSELF go against your OWN argument, YOU TOOK THEIR CHOICE. So if you say "People have the right to choose" AND MEAN IT you would only be allowed to "force" them into making the treatment a CHOICE.

Also regarding NT brainwashing their people: OUR OWN SOCIETY/SOCIETIES IN GENERAL DOE/S THE SAME THING! It is just not so openly visible BUT they are still using "brainwashing"! Now most people think "Brainwashing is changing peoples mind via FORCED means/drugs/machines", that is not entirely true. That is FORCED brainwashing, but there is also "educational" brainwashing: Teaching people how they should behave/act "encouraged" by punishment OR rewards (also via "leading by example") and that over a longer period of time.

WE teach OUR kids how to behave, what values are "right" or "wrong" etc. but at the end it is just another form of Brainwashing/conditioning.

Tl/dr: You yourself have no right to FORCE the end of the Treatment/destroying it. That would make you JUST AS bad as the Society on NT. The only thing you could/should do is "force" them to make the Treatment a choice.

We literally just covered all of this and agreed that the most ethical path was making it optional and requiring a person to be completely educated on its effects before taking it. No one is making the argument you are arguing against.

Altair Hayes

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
We literally just covered all of this and agreed that the most ethical path was making it optional and requiring a person to be completely educated on its effects before taking it. No one is making the argument you are arguing against.

I kind of like the idea of a "Tr-Ed" (Treatment Education class) for New Texas high schools, students would get educated on the history, mechanics, effects, and societal impacts of the Treatment, needing an C or above in the class would be required to be able to take the Treatment. Granted the teachers would never grade below a C-/end up using the class as a way to hit on whomever they want post-Treatment.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I'm glad Fen has such a tight hold over his game. Say what you will about him but at least our boners are always in sync.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015

I do that too, from time to time...

[...]I imagine 18 because, as someone mentioned cultural ideals, that is a cultural ideal for age of willful consent in some countries where it is lower in several others.  I wouldn't be surprised that some countries don't even have an age of consent. [...]

Every SOCIETY has an age, or some sort of rite of passage, of consent. It is not always set in numbers, but the passage from child to adult is always a big deal.

No, I am not going to argue anymore but

I kind of like the idea of a "Tr-Ed" (Treatment Education class) for New Texas high schools, students would get educated on the history, mechanics, effects, and societal impacts of the Treatment, needing an C or above in the class would be required to be able to take the Treatment. Granted the teachers would never grade below a C-/end up using the class as a way to hit on whomever they want post-Treatment.

I do not think you would find a majority on NT to support and uphold a system like that. In the end, even if you would manage to establish it, it would not last. Although I got to admit, Carrie in some strict pant suit or something would be my thing. And a scene where Amma or Ogram leave their sex scene, because they have to give Treatment Education to a class would be hilarious.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

Use AI teachers.

FatLizard

Aug 28, 2016
Every SOCIETY has an age, or some sort of rite of passage, of consent. It is not always set in numbers, but the passage from child to adult is always a big deal.

I meant more as a structured legal system laying out laws of the land than a cultural ritual or rite of passage.  That is, I consider say a jewish person performing their rite at 14 to become an adult to their people and turning 18 to be legally considered an adult by the legal system different.  Those not in any religious/tribal/whatever setting (like me) might not consider a 16 year old an 'adult' regardless if they passed a rite in accordance to their people's way, simply because I am not of their people but I do observe the laws of the land I reside which says 18.  That is not to say they don't have a case.  Absolutely they can argue that if they passed their peoples rite of passage they should be treated as an adult.  But it could get muddy.  Example: is it okay for a 16 year old to have sex with a 30 year old if they are apart of a religion or culture that would consider the 16 year old an adult?  What point would the law be infringing on that?  I for one would be like "Of course that's illegal, they aren't 18"  because I personally would hold the law over what a culture I was not apart of would consider adult.  That is an extreme case I know, and probably not typical.  Depending on the culture they could easily tread both ideas of a traditional rite of passage as well as the law of the land. 

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I meant more as a structured legal system laying out laws of the land than a cultural ritual or rite of passage.  That is, I consider say a jewish person performing their rite at 14 to become an adult to their people and turning 18 to be legally considered an adult by the legal system different.  Those not in any religious/tribal/whatever setting (like me) might not consider a 16 year old an 'adult' regardless if they passed a rite in accordance to their people's way, simply because I am not of their people but I do observe the laws of the land I reside which says 18.  That is not to say they don't have a case.  Absolutely they can argue that if they passed their peoples rite of passage they should be treated as an adult.  But it could get muddy.  Example: is it okay for a 16 year old to have sex with a 30 year old if they are apart of a religion or culture that would consider the 16 year old an adult?  What point would the law be infringing on that?  I for one would be like "Of course that's illegal, they aren't 18"  because I personally would hold the law over what a culture I was not apart of would consider adult.  That is an extreme case I know, and probably not typical.  Depending on the culture they could easily tread both ideas of a traditional rite of passage as well as the law of the land. 

If the people involved are part of a country with a legal system, the law takes priority over any religion or subculture.  Most legal systems define an age of adulthood and have laws to deal with sex between minors and adults, which is generally considered not okay.  No religion takes priority over the rule of law.

If there is no law of the land, then obviously the people can do whatever they want and get away with it.  Living in places with no law of the land generally sucks.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015

The point I was trying to make is that there always is some set age or rite to clarify that passage. In most christian communities there is a rite (f.e. holy communion or confirmation) to confirm that a person can take care of their religious beliefs themselves and in a time before law regulated age of consent, the passage of these rites was usually considered a requirement for marriage, job and those kinds of things where consent is necessary. This means that even when there is no law that regulates the ability to act self-determined, in every society I know of there is some other sort of regulation for that. People do organize their societies even without laws is basically the gist of it.

If there is no law of the land, then obviously the people can do whatever they want and get away with it.  Living in places with no law of the land generally sucks.

That is just not true. Every society regulates these sorts of things and usually this is done very seriously.

FatLizard

Aug 28, 2016
Suppose a countries laws also coincide with the religious majority?  One country it could be acceptable to stone a person to death because they don't adhere to cultural/religious expectancy both religiously and legally, where in the us we wouldn't see that as acceptable behavior.  Granted anyone could point at another part of the world and say 'I don't like what you are doing'. 

You could say criminals that are hiding away from civilization have hierarchies.  Some sort of rules they enforce among themselves.  Don't steal from the boss, don't go killing each other, stuff like that.  Not denying that people will find ways to govern themselves, only that every culture has differing ideas on how to govern each other and that they don't always match with the law, and not always with other cultures.  This seems more likely with a culture suddenly finding itself in another's jurisdiction than a person who grows up with both an understanding of their ancestral culture and the ideals of their country of residence.  Which if we stray back to NT, I believe I read that the treatment is illegal everywhere but NT?  So why this one acceptance by the law?  If one of them leaves NT are they then considered to be in possession of illegal mods?  < Real question, couldn't find anything in the codex about that.  The treatment is acceptable by the law as long as it stays on NT and doesn't transfer to any other planet. 

Now that I think about it on NT where both men and women are altered hormonally so that if either were to initiate sex the other wouldn't be able to refuse.  I'm sure some have argued what constitutes as rape on NT, and it has been presented through Reaha that not everyone likes the idea of constant sex pre-Treatment.  But say a bull moved to another planet, what problems could arise?  Ogram seems pretty tame as far as social interactions go, but could you safely assume that other bulls wouldn't succumb to the treatments effects regardless if their is another person who is also treated?  I realize it's a non-existant scenario but i'm curious on other viewpoints.

K

Krynh

Suppose a countries laws also coincide with the religious majority?  One country it could be acceptable to stone a person to death because they don't adhere to cultural/religious expectancy both religiously and legally, where in the us we wouldn't see that as acceptable behavior.  Granted anyone could point at another part of the world and say 'I don't like what you are doing'. 

Saudi Arabia, Iran, Indonesia. The list goes on.

Last edited:

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
You are very fun to debate with. I like you.

Been quite a while since I've gotten that :D Thanks! I need to hear it every once in a while.

The concise way to say my opinion is that one person's free will stops where another person's starts. You can do whatever you want to yourself and to people who consent, but the minute you involve a non-consenting or unknowing individual you've crossed the line.

Note that by "consent" I mean "informed consent" which doesn't really apply to New Texas IMO because no one is informed. Everyone is basically brainwashed into thinking the Treatment is basically tits on toast BY the Treatment itself so it can be pretty difficult to inform people of the consequences. Reaha formed her view of it through observation, which is not something that everyone is going to have either the opportunity to obtain or the mind to comprehend.

One could, reasonably, argue that there isn't in fact consent at all on NT seeing as the last thing a parent does to a child during their tenure as property owners is to give them the treatment. (I wonder how big this one is gonna blow up :p)

I REALLY do hear you here. But there's a problem. First, you are getting WAY too emotionaly about this and are using personal language and accusatory phrases. This is either a conversation/debate or I will not participate. To continue, we are GENERATIONS into this process as of game-time. NT got away with this crap because they were outside of UGC purview during it's inception. It's stated quite clearly that this could never have happened in the midst of the UGCs jurisdiction. Basically because everyone taking The Treatment would be required to consent INFORMEDLY, and I don't care how good Mr. Bull-o-doom's cock is . . . ain't NO group of women gonna give up their mind and ability to reason through life en masse. Some? Sure. . . but not all or even close.

Do you understand the concept of indentured servitude? Can you see that what The Treatment does is enslave 51% of the population, since they're humans I'm presuming that time hasn't changed the ratio. I'm perfectly fine with someone CONSENTING themselves into slavery, presuming their mental state at the point of consent can be reasonably confirmed and they are not acting under duress. Having personally been at the mercy of mental and emotional abuse I would ABSOLUTELY consider the things that occur on NT to be clear examples of "duress". To put it mildly. Reaha made it quite clear that she had little choice in the whole process and that she was one of few brave enough to escape rather than take the treatment. I mean just imagine for a moment, growing up more emotionally aware and possibly smarter than your own mother. Watching her being led around by the men in town, yanked on by her "sex strings". Then being told by your dad that next year you're gonna turn into a milk making sex addled slave. He'd never use those words but you've watched your mom long enough to know what she REALLY is. Children don't miss a beat, and if one thinks they do . . .they've never raised one, or have slept though the process.

I suppose that one could possibly consider raising children as brainwashing . . . but I find that to be a distasteful and narrow view of the process. I consider what parents, who try to care about the process, to be doing is much more like laying a light but guiding referential framework through which the world as it presents itself can be ingested, digested, and then absorbed into the psyche in such a way that it informs and recreates said framework. This is, of course, much easier said that done, and it wasn't all that easy to interpret reality into those words either. As any ideal it must survive the hells of reality in order to achieve some semblance of existence. Every parent at some point comes to understand that you WILL fuck up your child. I believe that this is because we all have to be fucked up to be here at all. It's highly debatable as to whether we enter the world fucked up, are made that way through life, or the process occurs betwixt the two. The point though is that a parent's "training" should be light enough that the child, when they become an adult, can question it and determine for themselves if it's right for THEM. The Treatment and the parenting that goes hand in hand with it . . . cannot by any stretch of the imagination fit into such a category. Nor could it even say it is in the same neighborhood.

Finally, saying that this stuff is a requirement of society is UTTER BULLSHIT. Society is DEFINED by it's members not the other way around. Society is not government a slow bureaucratic body incapable of seeing it's own tail. Society is amorphous and constantly changing as defined by the will of its constituent parts. Individuals may cling psychologically to the state their society was in when they crystallized their own psyche. but society moves on without them. Thus the entirety of what we call "generation gap".

Thanks. As far as the men go, I don't really have a problem with the men doing what they do. They are not enslaving themselves. They maintain all faculties after transition, and are "enhanced" to perform the functions most men desire to perform.

I do not think you would find a majority on NT to support and uphold a system like that. In the end, even if you would manage to establish it, it would not last. Although I got to admit, Carrie in some strict pant suit or something would be my thing. And a scene where Amma or Ogram leave their sex scene, because they have to give Treatment Education to a class would be hilarious.

Oh hells no. There ain't nothing gonna change a damned thing on NT. This is all hypothetical debate and exposition on The Treatment. I do not believe that an undereducated minority of one gender's minors could stage a governmental coup. But it would certainly be interesting to see :p

. . . Example: is it okay for a 16 year old to have sex with a 30 year old if they are apart of a religion or culture that would consider the 16 year old an adult?  What point would the law be infringing on that?  I for one would be like "Of course that's illegal, they aren't 18"  because I personally would hold the law over what a culture I was not apart of would consider adult.  That is an extreme case I know, and probably not typical.  Depending on the culture they could easily tread both ideas of a traditional rite of passage as well as the law of the land. 

This is a perfect example of what is destroying constitutional values and rights in the United States of America. The free will of the individual MUST BE PARAMOUNT. The federal government, being the largest governmental body, must thereby have the LEAST power, because it is the LEAST individuated. Regulation is by it's very nature the killing of free will. It is also important to note that what you are talking about is NOT the law of the land it is legal statute operating UNDER THE COLOR OF LAW. In the USA at least religion DOES supercede legal statute, and that is mostly because the law of the land backs it up in such. THIS is the model that we were given with our constitution and the "grand experiment" that's been heard of. It's not in process now, and may never be again. The federal government is not larger than any other body in the nation and there's little likelihood of that changing. /endrant.

Regarding Treatment, NT and UGC. I think it's pretty clear in the game that the universes society has a severe distaste for what's happening on NT and that if they could put a stop to it they would have already. My recollection is that NT has a charter or some such from the original exodus of humanity, which essentially gives them something like "grandfathered in" rights that the UGC no longer allows anyone to have for themselves. The citizens of NT could not be charged with trafficking illegal mods because it's a one time thing. The treatment isn't IN them anymore it's done it's business and is gone. Thus it's permanency and irreversibility.

TL;DR: Lots of judgements and debate regarding various things, most of which amount to little more than seeking common ground with other people in the world and maybe testing a few people's mental footing :p

FatLizard

Aug 28, 2016
I think i do remember T mentioning something along the lines of "grandfathering" their way of life.  There is a liquor store right across the street from the school i went to as a kid.  Zoning would noramally not allow that but it was there before that was mandated, so there the store remains. Not completely related but whatever.

I for one feel the federal government should not mandate an individuals choices but not setting limits can leave the way open to rampant violence and chaos if one were to disregard live and let live mentality and the desire to get along that can often be seen, especially in difficult situations.  How far those limits should be set can vary depending on the society that is setting them.  Striking a balance is difficult, more so when several people have different ideas on how to go about it.  So we let an elected body do it for us and risk getting buried under laws that limit free will.  Thinking about it i find no problem with 18 being the age of consent but if a 16 year old and 30 year old were to be happy together i would be like, yeah thar is illegal but i wouldnt call it in. I can see laws around consent being necessary for some cases to protect the infringement of free will by other people, though that in itself is doing the same.  Hyprocisy is everywhere and im no exception.  Good thing im not running for office.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
@FatLizard Regarding your age of consent example, 18 is regarded as the age when people are expected to be able to understand and accept the consequences of their actions. That's why it's the age of consent. There may very well be 16, 14, hell even 12 year olds who are capable of that, and there are certainly 18 year olds who aren't - hell, the goddamn majority of them aren't. But the law views it more important to protect the majority of under-18s who DON'T understand the consequences of their actions than to allow that freedom to those who DO - with good reason. It's better to restrict the rights of the minority than to endanger the majority.

...I'm not sure how it applies to New Texas but I've already written it out so damn it I'mma post it.

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
I do that too, from time to time...

No, I am not going to argue anymore but

Well that's mostly because they cannot. The argument that you are essentially making is that the right of a government to run itself as it wishes is more important than the individual rights of the people who have to live there and that is quite frankly bullshit. As others have pointed out kids are smart, Reaha and Zephyr are hardly isolated incidents they are just the ones who were lucky to escape the brainwashing that would bring them in to line. 

With regards to the UGC I would argue that NT is exactly the kind of planetary scale abuse of power that a galactic government would be created to prevent.

Also I agree with Onyx, most everyone here has been calm and reasonable while your responses have been increasingly angry and disturbing.

FatLizard

Aug 28, 2016
IGood on ya.  Not in any way trying to determine what is right or wrong... Just thoughts and observations.  I feel whatever the case the team did well in presenting an ethical issue without cramming in rhetoric with NT.  Hence this thread

Darkfirephoenix

Oct 19, 2015
I REALLY do hear you here. But there's a problem. First, you are getting WAY too emotionaly about this and are using personal language and accusatory phrases. This is either a conversation/debate or I will not participate. To continue, we are GENERATIONS into this process as of game-time. NT got away with this crap because they were outside of UGC purview during it's inception. It's stated quite clearly that this could never have happened in the midst of the UGCs jurisdiction. Basically because everyone taking The Treatment would be required to consent INFORMEDLY, and I don't care how good Mr. Bull-o-doom's cock is . . . ain't NO group of women gonna give up their mind and ability to reason through life en masse. Some? Sure. . . but not all or even close.

Finally, saying that this stuff is a requirement of society is UTTER BULLSHIT. Society is DEFINED by it's members not the other way around. Society is not government a slow bureaucratic body incapable of seeing it's own tail. Society is amorphous and constantly changing as defined by the will of its constituent parts. Individuals may cling psychologically to the state their society was in when they crystallized their own psyche. but society moves on without them. Thus the entirety of what we call "generation gap".

Thanks. As far as the men go, I don't really have a problem with the men doing what they do. They are not enslaving themselves. They maintain all faculties after transition, and are "enhanced" to perform the functions most men desire to perform.

Maybe you are misunderstanding me: I am and wasn't in any way emotional when I was writing the things I did. I'm a absoloutely rational (and some people that know me personally would even call me a emotional cold) person and I value rational thinking above emotions.

(Also: it IS rather hard getting things across the right way if you are only communicating via written words)

Using personal language/accusatory phrases:

I'm talking to "you" as the player/s not you personally, I'm addressing the player/s and I'm accusing the player/s.

If they think it the treatment is wrong because it goes against their beliefs of "free will" but ALSO want to FORCE the end of the treatment/destroy the treatment, then they are hypocrites. They would take the choice from the poeple on NT.

Hence: Get the people on NT to make the treatment a choice, that would be the only "right" way.

The problem with the society on NT is: The Treatment is kinda one of the main backbones of their society, it is universal accepted by the already treated population and those hold all the power. Also: Why should they change something that works very well for them just because some kids whine? They will all fall in line once they are treated, so you could also say that the treatment "freezes" the society on NT in some aspects and the society in turn WANTS the treatment as a main part. (it is kinda a "win win" situation, in a fucked up kinda way. But looking at it objectively: Their society is on a standstill regarding the treatment)

Here is the real problem: How does one handle such a situation? (no matter what motivations you have)

1) Do you FORCE them? They will hate you for that and maybe even resort to aggressive behaviour. Also their society may not handle that well and it may cause civil-war (like) state.

2) Do you DESTROY/Sabotage the Treatment? Same as above but most likely even more aggressive. And you may get shunned as a terrorist within the GALACTIC society as a terrorist.

3) Do you educate/coerce them into making the treatment a choice? This is the most likely to work, it may require some work on your/the players side and take some time BUT it would allow the society on NT to adapt/change on its own. Maybe you/the player would even be celebrated by the people on NT/by the galactic society.

Possible ways of getting them to making the treatment a choice:

"If the Treatment is so great then surely your kids will take it on their own."

"Big T/Governor making the Treatment a choice would REALLY help the image of NT in the galaxy and even increase profits/tourism for NT."

Combined with maybe a timed treatment (reverts the person to normal after some time) so people/kids can "try" it if they have interrest in the first place.

(Just something to think about: Compare taking away the treatment on NT with taking away the right to bear arms in the US. What would happen?

Yes, yes it isn't really THAT compareable BUT you would take something away from a society which it relies on/is used to have/is seen by quiet a amount of people as a necessity.)

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
Well I mean I'm a massive liberal American who's 100% in favor of reducing the scope of the Second Amendment so your analogy there backfires on me a little bit. :p

Darkfirephoenix

Oct 19, 2015
Well I mean I'm a massive liberal American who's 100% in favor of reducing the scope of the Second Amendment so your analogy there backfires on me a little bit. :p

Nice for you, but the real question was: How would you react if someone would simply take something from your society you view as a important thing and that without giving you anything to say in that matter?

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
Nice for you, but the real question was: How would you react if someone would simply take something from your society you view as a important thing and that without giving you anything to say in that matter?

I'd probably be pretty pissed, UNLESS I was a member of a group that gets marginalized or suppressed by whatever "important thing" got taken away (such as, in the gun control example, young black males). Like women on New Texas.

Darkfirephoenix

Oct 19, 2015
I'd probably be pretty pissed, UNLESS I was a member of a group that gets marginalized or suppressed by whatever "important thing" got taken away (such as, in the gun control example, young black males). Like women on New Texas.

Fun fact: More "white" people get shot dead on year to year basis in the US than "black" people. The media just don't really cover "white" people that get shot dead.

Also yes to your answer. Now imagine how society would react of taking that thing away. What would they do? Try to get it back? And if yes: How would the part of society react that DOESN'T want it back?

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
Fun fact: More "white" people get shot dead on year to year basis in the US than "black" people. The media just don't really cover "white" people that get shot dead.

Also yes to your answer. Now imagine how society would react of taking that thing away. What would they do? Try to get it back? And if yes: How would the part of society react that DOESN'T want it back?

First of all, that's because whites are still a majority in the US. Larger numbers of people means a larger absolute number of victims of anything. Relative to how many people of color are actually in the US, they're way, way more likely to be the victims of violence.

Second: see what I said to Princezilla above re: bloody revolutions.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
gay guns, gay marijuana

i tried asking @Savin to nuke this thread but he was literally too sick to function

Zavos

May 7, 2016
I'm with Wsan

Perhaps its timer this thread was locked ad we move on with our day?  I've had my questions answered, and I'm a bit disturbed with what this thread has become.  

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Omg, please don't bring the whole 'US race problem' here in this forum.Cause in my opinion it really has no business being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.