What are your gripes/criticism of TiTs?

theblacksmith

Nov 29, 2018
Man, as someone who's been playing FenCo games since the early days (I remember when the Swamp got added to CoC) yet never interacted with the community, going through this thread has been a wild ride. Lots of stuff I never knew about, ignored, or didn't think too much of. Anyway, most of my criticisms have already been discussed at length, such as the overabundance of hypersexualized characters or how too many friends/companions are started but never finished, but there are a few small grievances I have that haven't been mentioned:

1) I don't really feel a sense of progression. In ye olden days of CoC, you started small figuratively and literally, and slowly worked your way up to being a one-of-a-kind figure worthy of song and legend. In TiTs, your reputation and TF options are well-established right from the get-go. E.g., Bimbo Liqueur is incredibly rare and hardly pushes you past DD's, while the Treatment is available almost as soon as you start the game and can rocket you up to JJ's; the Champion starts as a nobody and becomes a hero, while Steele starts as a dashing space captain and becomes... a dashing space captain with nicer guns.

2) Characters' busts are often inconsistent with their ingame description. It's slightly jarring to be told that someone has D's and then see those same D's depicted as being larger than their head.

3) The official save editor hasn't been updated in a LONG time. If it's dead, just take it down so that it doesn't taunt me every time I go to pick up a new build.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Man, as someone who's been playing FenCo games since the early days (I remember when the Swamp got added to CoC) yet never interacted with the community, going through this thread has been a wild ride. Lots of stuff I never knew about, ignored, or didn't think too much of. Anyway, most of my criticisms have already been discussed at length, such as the overabundance of hypersexualized characters or how too many friends/companions are started but never finished, but there are a few small grievances I have that haven't been mentioned:

1) I don't really feel a sense of progression. In ye olden days of CoC, you started small figuratively and literally, and slowly worked your way up to being a one-of-a-kind figure worthy of song and legend. In TiTs, your reputation and TF options are well-established right from the get-go. E.g., Bimbo Liqueur is incredibly rare and hardly pushes you past DD's, while the Treatment is available almost as soon as you start the game and can rocket you up to JJ's; the Champion starts as a nobody and becomes a hero, while Steele starts as a dashing space captain and becomes... a dashing space captain with nicer guns.

2) Characters' busts are often inconsistent with their ingame description. It's slightly jarring to be told that someone has D's and then see those same D's depicted as being larger than their head.

3) The official save editor hasn't been updated in a LONG time. If it's dead, just take it down so that it doesn't taunt me every time I go to pick up a new build.
While I get what you're saying with progression, I can't say that the Treatment is quite the same as Bimbo Liqueur/Bro Brew. It is a Cow/Bull transformative as well, but more importantly it's an established part of the lore and only available in one place in the whole universe. Which happens to be a famous tourist trap.

I believe TiTSEd updates quickly after every public build, because I like to use it to test new equipment before getting it on my real save.

Also, I know this is a TiTS thread, but I get aggravated when I'm playing CoC with C or D-cup breasts and I "inform [NPC] that despite appearances, you're actually a man".

I put up with it before, but TiTS has kinda spoiled me for CoC because of this.

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
While I get what you're saying with progression, I can't say that the Treatment is quite the same as Bimbo Liqueur/Bro Brew. It is a Cow/Bull transformative as well, but more importantly it's an established part of the lore and only available in one place in the whole universe. Which happens to be a famous tourist trap.
Yeah, that's one of the huge differences between CoC and TiTS. In CoC, a lot of TFs are there because the demons want to corrupt everyone, and most of the others are just the product of the world being magical and all that. In TiTS, most TFs are products made by companies, or by the government in the case of the Treatment. So things are going to work differently.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
It's slightly jarring to be told that someone has D's and then see those same D's depicted as being larger than their head.

This is mainly a thing with Adjatha. If you nag him you can prevent him from interpreting 'Ds' to mean 'Bolt on balloons that would destroy the character's back', but only then. There's a reason I much prefer his male busts.

theblacksmith

Nov 29, 2018
This is mainly a thing with Adjatha. If you nag him you can prevent him from interpreting 'Ds' to mean 'Bolt on balloons that would destroy the character's back', but only then. There's a reason I much prefer his male busts.

Fair point, and it's still far better than when we had the 8-bit pixel busts or nothing at all.

I believe TiTSEd updates quickly after every public build, because I like to use it to test new equipment before getting it on my real save.

Also, I know this is a TiTS thread, but I get aggravated when I'm playing CoC with C or D-cup breasts and I "inform [NPC] that despite appearances, you're actually a man".

I put up with it before, but TiTS has kinda spoiled me for CoC because of this.

You're right about B. Brew and the Treatment, there just aren't many 1:1 analogues for the games. A better way to put it might be that there are fewer "milestone" TFs that bestow permanent abilities. I understand that CoC and TiTs have different design philosophies regarding TFs, so there's not much that can be done about it, but I feel that it's a weakness of the system they went with.

TiTsEd is a great tool, no doubt, I'm just mildly iffed that FenCo dropped support for a feature that I paid money for. I suppose I should have expected that though- even back when CoC development was in full swing, there were plenty of things that were partially implemented but never finished. I suspect it's a problem inherent to FenCo's style of Early Access gaming: the perpetual need to push out new content and keep majority of your backers entertained outweighs the time and energy it would take to go back and finish a character that only a fraction of the fanbase is committed to. It'll never happen, but I can't help but wonder what these games would look like if they followed a more traditional development cycle and weren't released until they were complete.

The ability to choose your pronouns IS a really neat QoL feature. At least we'll have it in CoC2.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Another thing that annoys me. There's a random encounter, a "distress signal" that cames when my PC is looking around a nebula, that keeps appearing despite the fact that I've ignored/rejected it a dozen of times.

I've already met Zaalt, Kiro and the Kashima, and i'm pretty sure that isn't Saendra. If only there would be a way of nope out of it permanently, like on those encounters.

Reactions: Darkwarpalg6

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Another thing that annoys me. There's a random encounter, a "distress signal" that cames when my PC is looking around a nebula, that keeps appearing despite the fact that I've ignored/rejected it a dozen of times.

I've already met Zaalt, Kiro and the Kashima, and i'm pretty sure that isn't Saendra. If only there would be a way of nope out of it permanently, like on those encounters.
Weird, I don't know what else it could be... Anyway, it should be permanently gone if you listen to the signal and refuse to help.

Irrlicht

Oct 31, 2017

That is, in fact, another uniqe event that stops once one did it once. Simelar to the other you allready counted here, I can not recal the name, but it includes a really big cat.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018

It's shizuya. I'm pretty sure if you decline it enough, it goes away. It just takes a few.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
I don't think so. I've rejected it at least 5 times, and it still pops up every now and then.

Regardless

Jul 20, 2018
Well, there's no real harm in accepting, unless you hate eating tons of food with fun people.
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is a bunch of people blow up your ship, attack you, nearly kill/ kidnap you for no reason other than their own stupidity, try to molest you multiple times and insult you when you refuse to have sex with them unless you're a bimbo/ weak willed in which case you don't get a choice.

I'll be honest I really hate them and that the message keeps popping up and won't go away makes it worse.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
That's one way of looking at it. The other way is a bunch of people blow up your ship, attack you, nearly kill/ kidnap you for no reason other than their own stupidity, try to molest you multiple times and insult you when you refuse to have sex with them unless you're a bimbo/ weak willed in which case you don't get a choice.

I'll be honest I really hate them and that the message keeps popping up and won't go away makes it worse.
We seem to have vastly different views on things.

Raindrops

Jun 19, 2016
The way I deal with them is to just let it happen, and then ignore them for the rest of the game. They really have nothing that I find interesting, so I just fast forward through the scene

Reactions: Kesil

Regardless

Jul 20, 2018
We seem to have vastly different views on things.
True, to be fair I'm not actually mad that it exists just that it won't go away. The problem with the scenes, imo at least, isn't the writing or the writer but the fact that the writer wrote the scenes with the perspective that any Steele who interacted with the content would love the characters. This works fine for you but makes my experience 10x worse. It needs a fuck off button badly but because of the nature of the initial interaction that can't be done.

The cherry on top is that it was meant as an intro to those characters who would then have more added to them, I wouldn't care obviously but that would be good for people who do like them. Since that hasn't happened and doesn't look like it will anytime soon the current content is just a constant annoyance to me and the people who do like the scenes get nothing after the initial encounter either.

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2016
Might be beaten to death but for me the game has always felt like Trials in Sterile Space.
If you play a male, you can hardly impregnate any of the NPCs you come across despite all the relevant stats.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing imo.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
Might be beaten to death but for me the game has always felt like Trials in Sterile Space.
If you play a male, you can hardly impregnate any of the NPCs you come across despite all the relevant stats.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing imo.

Pregnancy is a thing that's there, not the main focus.

That's all.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I was gonna say that there are better games for those really into preg stuff, but I'm actually blanking on any actual examples.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Takhisis = Frostwyrm

* Sired, Aina’s Children: Nina
* Sired, Aina’s Daughters: 1
* Sired, Briha’s Children: Aya, Brahn and 31 others
* Sired, Briha’s Sons: 17
* Sired, Briha’s Daughters: 16
* Sired, Ellie’s Children: 3
* Sired, Takhisis’s Eggs: 54
* Sired, Ilaria’s Children: 42
* Sired, Khorgan’s Children: 48
* Sired, Quinn’s Children: 1
* Sired, Raskvel Eggs: 108
* Sired, Raskvel @ Daycare: 9
* Sired, Sam’s Children: 138
* Sired, Stella’s Children: 280
* Sired, Tam’s Children: 53
* Sired, Ula’s Children: 84
* Sired, Zheniya Children: 60
* Sired, Zil Children: 24

14 possible peoples you can impregnate but 2 are not repeatable (Quin and Ellie). Only 2 are from random encounters (Raskvel and Zil).

theblacksmith

Nov 29, 2018
I remembered another gripe, Taint. It feels an incredibly tacked-on as a mechanic, like its only purpose is to arbitrarily restrict the use of certain items. It's distributed very unevenly, too. For a stat defined as the "measure of the corruption of one’s genetic code," it's odd that a single stack of ten spunkshrooms will kick you up to half your maximum Taint, but turning into a literal plant-person or sentient pile of goo won't affect it at all.