What abandoned projects were you hoping would get finished?

Kirovreporting

Aug 28, 2015
Zero chance of Haruka being revived in TiTS. Chief reason being because I'm not fond of the direction it went, and also because Fen is already swamped in content so the chances of it getting implemented is pretty much zero too.

I passed the torch on Maki because his content was over 80% complete, with Haruka tho, it would need a full blown rewrite due to subpar quality.

Since I was unhappy with it, I took to reworking the base concept into another character I'm happier with, said character exists and has some plans for it, even had a few scenes written that would make her a follower in Fall of Eden. Sadly the game died shortly after.

So yeah, don't expect to see any more until I can find a new healthy place/project, or learn and build an engine decent enough to make coding the simplest scene not be a freaking nightmare.
Good luck and happy trails.

BlackPick7

Mar 16, 2016
Does the Xenomorph tf project count as abandoned? Really just want some form of Giger-like TF in TiTs.

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
Does the Xenomorph tf project count as abandoned? Really just want some form of Giger-like TF in TiTs.

Not officially, but considering it already burned out three writers I think we can drop it in that bin.

I'm working something vaguely similar but extremely unaffiliated. Watch this space.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Mhhmmm some Xenomorph would fit here more than in fantasy. Who would finish work of others started I wonder (hmm ohh a wild yoda talk hue hue). But it shouldn;t ends up killing anyone to be birther... unless it was Black Void nameless soldier ^^

adev

Apr 27, 2017
... or learn and build an engine decent enough to make coding the simplest scene not be a freaking nightmare.

Care to elaborate on that? I guess you talk about FoE and while I only took a quick glance at the source it did not seem particularly complicated to me. But I'm interested to learn what non-programmers perceive as "nightmare"/difficult when coding their scenes.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Care to elaborate on that? I guess you talk about FoE and while I only took a quick glance at the source it did not seem particularly complicated to me. But I'm interested to learn what non-programmers perceive as "nightmare"/difficult when coding their scenes.

Think they were talking about the coding mess of CoC and I'm going to assume that TiTS is in a similar manner of mucked-up-ness though not nearly as bad as CoC.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Haven't looked into the CoC source so far but I did a fair bit of reading in the TiTS code: Yes there are some issues with the code but most of the issues should not affect scene writers (in contrast to engine expansion). You have a fairly compact set of function for text output and menu management and a rather rich api to query and manipulate characters that should be straight forward to use once you have learned what is available.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of modularisation - most code is stuffed into one class and many things (eg room names, flags) need to be globally unique which makes it easy to step on each others toes. Together with using strings for things like flags (where a typo usually does silently something different instead of crashing and burning - preferably during compilation instead of at runtime) it is relatively easy to make errors that can only be caught during play testing.

The last thing is scene complexity - the more variations you add to a scene (based on characters traits and appearance, quest states etc) the more complicated the code will get but I'm curious if there are any ideas how this can be made simpler/better or what is seen as the biggest obstacle by writers.

(if someone wants to discuss these topics maybe it is better to create a separate thread for this as this thread is mainly about content not code)

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Adding a scene to an existing NPC in CoC or TiTS is the easiest thing ever.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
I would argue that adding new item like weapon or armor actualy could be even easier ^^

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Adding a scene to an existing NPC in CoC or TiTS is the easiest thing ever.

Careful Cap'n, that sarcasm might not translate all that well over text, you could fool newbies into thinking that's true.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
That wasn't sarcasm and is true.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
That wasn't sarcasm and is true.

Considering how many writers were burned out trying to add new scenes to old characters I reckon it ain't true, unless you mean the original author continuing their work by adding more scenes, in which case that becomes much more true.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I meant coding.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
i remember at one point there was talk of a glove that let you shoot lightning at enemies like Palpatine, i think there was Roman Lorica as well

stephen51991

Jun 12, 2016
i remember at one point there was talk of a glove that let you shoot lightning at enemies like Palpatine, i think there was Roman Lorica as well
I think those are a part of the Fantasia Foundry mentioned earlier, though I could be mistaken.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Considering how many writers were burned out trying to add new scenes to old characters I reckon it ain't true, unless you mean the original author continuing their work by adding more scenes, in which case that becomes much more true.

It has nothing to do with coding, nor are writers even expected to code their own stuff. Quite the opposite, really, unless they're incredibly familiar with it. News flash, fam; a lot of people say they're gonna do a thing and flake out, whether it's the "I'm gonna get into writing for this slowly by adding stuff!" or the "Here's my idea Imma do it" folks.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
It has nothing to do with coding, nor are writers even expected to code their own stuff. Quite the opposite, really, unless they're incredibly familiar with it. News flash, fam; a lot of people say they're gonna do a thing and flake out, whether it's the "I'm gonna get into writing for this slowly by adding stuff!" or the "Here's my idea Imma do it" folks.

I misunderstood that it was about coding, I thought the conversation was about just writing in general, not specifically coding. Though writers do tend to at least set-up their works to be codded with parsers and what-not, which is helpful if nothing else.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Many probably get their will to write eroded by not kind comments so they slowly giving up on continue working. Thou having own work only praised is bad as then will come Fen/Savin hammer to smash delusions.

And the ones that finds balance between both are our forum writers ^^

Sadly path to Dao of High Quality Smut Writing is way to hard for many many more of us :(

LukaDoc

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015

I'm not talking about FoE or CoC or TiTS specifically. Look into Terry's coding. Every pronoun is a parser call. That is what I mean by nightmare.

I'm making my own game and before I whip up some kind of design document with any form of cohesion rather than ramblings, hopes and dreams, I need to look into what is within my limitations to produce. Since I don't want writing for a very moddable character to be said nightmare, I want to find workarounds/shortcuts to making this less of hassle to both write for and code.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
yeah, I don't really see how this can be made easier without reducing the number of variants. Looking at the foe source I'm not a fan of this add()/nl() noise and would use \n/<br> or some other markup instead. Also setting up the parser could be made less frequent with better syntax (eg understand [terry.HisHer] and [pc.HisHer] etc) while keeping the ability to define parser calls on the fly for less frequently used replacements. You can't even replace this stuff automatically because of hisher himher hishers ambiguities...

That said - if you have ideas I would really be interested in discussing this.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016