Sub & Dom Stats

Yamapikarya

May 14, 2016
I have a suggestion that would probably take quite an effort to write additional scenes and implement but would probably make the game feel a little more responsive to choices.

An inclusion of Sub and Dom Stats that can change the type of scenes the player character may encounter.  For example, the "GalLink Fuckmeet" could have a Dom based scene instead of the current Sub scene.

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
As much as I (and probably others) would get a kick out of having a sub or dom Steele that reacts differently in certain scenes, that would be an awful lot of work to implement... so don't count on it happening.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
There already are three basic personalities, bimbo, and bro. While I like slut/sub stats in FoE, having them would require so many options to be written... And barely any writer bothers fully using what we already have.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
An inclusion of Sub and Dom Stats that can change the type of scenes the player character may encounter. 

No.

Individual NPCs can have Sub/Dom meters (see: Wetraxxel), but whether the PC submits or dominates in any given encounter should otherwise be left up to the player on a case-by-case basis. 

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
No.

Individual NPCs can have Sub/Dom meters (see: Wetraxxel), but whether the PC submits or dominates in any given encounter should otherwise be left up to the player on a case-by-case basis. 

And as for the alternative scenes that would allow PC to be played as a dedicated sib/dom in every encounter, let me guess: Write That Shit Yourself? Fair enough I guess.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Miss Terious has as usual nailed it. It's an idea that comes up quite often, but TiTS as a platform doesn't support it at all.

Tbh for all the success of TiTS thanks to its incorporation of a huge range of kinks, I suspect subbing/domming is delivered much more effectively if the game does one to the exclusion of the other. That way a player knows what they will be getting going into it, and it can be explored and delivered far more effectively.

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
Who the f-oh.

I barely notice the three personalities; hell even Bimbo stuff has a greater presence.

I didn't really notice them much either until I tried to play nice with Tavira, but the Mischievous option was greyed out because I'd gone Hard at some point...

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
While I like the idea of giving more choice to the player, after reading Mysty's post, it occurs to me that there seem to more or less be three types of NPC in the game. Dom, Sub, and D/S neutrals. Simply making the choice to interact with a dom or sub sexually is engaging in that kink. Scenes with them are more than likely to play out in the manner dictated by their D or S persuasion, while a neutral NPC would allow you to choose the way you want the scene to go.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I don't really think every encounter necessarily needs a sub/dom option. Both mindsets are fairly specific kinks, remember, and the dynamic as a whole doesn't really make sense in all sexual situations.

For mob win/loss (unless the mobs themselves are specifically angled towards subbing or domming), Steele being a sub/dom would be a hard sell. There's give and take on both sides, and the mob in question suddenly becoming a dedicated dom to play along with Steele's submissiveness or becoming a compliant, order-following sub out of the blue would be weird (if they're that subby as to trust a total stranger so completely, why'd they even fight you?). Just laying down and letting yourself be used is not necessarily submission in the sense of the kink itself, just like forcing yourself on someone else is certainly not a good definition of domination. That's really just rape.

NPC's are even less universally compatible, simply because being a sub or a dom is a pretty major character trait. If they aren't written as such from the outset, tacking it on runs the risk of breaking the character and weakening their personality. Going even further, making every BDSM-inclined NPC a switch is a less than ideal option from a creative freedom standpoint, despite the fact that it would let players always be able to control whether they dom or sub.

In my opinion, sub/dom scenes and themes should be mostly kept to NPC's or mobs specifically designed around the kinks. Otherwise you run the risk of misrepresenting the fetishes and/or just being sorta "wait, what?"

Firstly, I should have been less lazy and elaborated that when talking about being 'dominant' or 'submissive', I used the broadest possible definitions, instead of talking about specifics of relatively well defined kinks. In that sense, everything can be viewed as a powerplay and in every aspect of their behaviour and dialogue PC can have Alpha or Omega options/tweaks.

Then I should have realized that OP probably had talked specifically about D/s kinks and deleted my comment as pointless, but whatever :/

As for the established characterization of mobs making the presence of dedicated options and/or tweaks for both submission and domination 'a hard sell': for any non-static enemy it can easily be handwaved by them being a different individual every time, and for all of them by spess-magic-drugs that they or PC excrete. In any case, the game already kind of does that for a decent amount of fights, e.g. Zil.

Fully agree with your point about NPCs, with a small caveat: tweaks of PC's reactions and behaviour can be a welcome addition, at the very least in some cases. Even though, IIRC, Nonesuch stated that he doesn't particularly like the existing doc for enslaving Sera, I personally did enjoy it specifically because of the unruly sub uspects.

And if it's wired up properly, the score system is supposed to be self-regulating, and certainly not restrict PC's options or force them into anything outside of those specifically D/s oriented NPCs.

Tbh for all the success of TiTS thanks to its incorporation of a huge range of kinks, I suspect subbing/domming is delivered much more effectively if the game does one to the exclusion of the other. That way a player knows what they will be getting going into it, and it can be explored and delivered far more effectively.

It may very well be true for the audience that is seriously interested in and/or practices those kinks.

For a schmuck like me who doesn't model their PC after themselves, doesn't associate themselves with PC during sex scenes and has only a passing interest in BDSM, TiTS model probably works better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimoire

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
...Wouldn't mind if there was more BDSM content, though.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Literally having someone (preferably a female) bossing me around all day and making me do menial chores. Clean the house, make meals, dress them, bathe them, sort mail, all of that stuff.tux

That's simultaneously the most innocuous and the least personally relatable sexual fantasy anyone ever shared with me. I would take whips over doing the dishes any day of the week TWM. ^_^

To bring this ramble back around to the topic at hand: Writing a large amount of relatively generic BDSM content might run the risk of completely nullifying the effectiveness and appeal as opposed to writing niche NPC's that cater to specific subsets of the fetish. Gentle doms, harsh physical doms, extreme physical bondage of subs, order giving/taking, harem-style relationships, monogamous ones... There's a different way to write BDSM every way you look, but in order to write it effectively, I believe it needs to be pretty in-depth and detailed.

It won't have to be generic any more than sexual scenes or alignment role-playing in general has to be generic, which is to say not at all.

Last edited:

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
It's more that mob scenes can't really be that in-depth or elaborate just by their very nature. Some of the BDSM content in TiTS is already jarring because you just "jump right in" to being a sub or domming with very little build-up. Maybe people don't want the intimacy and are perfectly fine being a sub/dom for a faceless stranger one time and then never seeing them again, but to me it feels like that would be weird.

I'm hopelessly romantic and intensely monogamous, though, so it might just be me. ;)  

Ehh nobody likes writing mob scenes in general. You have to make allowances for *every* type of PC and you're usually using a generic NPC who can impart little personality on what happens. Very little sex lends itself to it.

I think Thermic was aiming for the "build-up" kind of SnM with most of the characters he did that deal with it - Fyn, Inessa etc. But you rarely have the time to properly set that kind of relationship up outside of a romance novel, and it would feel out of place and clunky in a universe where the default is "Hey my name is Whatserface, let's fuck".

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I do. >_>

You cheat thought. Not that I'm complaining, since if it was up to me, all of the mobs would have been static, suspension of disbelief be damned. The things that, fetish-wise, constitute inherent strengths of casual random sex just ain't my thing.

Apparently Nonesuch likes them less then I assumed based on his involvement with Beth's Brothel. Or covering all the bases of writing for the PC blob is more of a problem than NPC being generic/faceless. Or bite sized format also helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Or bite sized format also helped.

Ding ding ding ding ding.

I can also make a lot of assumptions about PCs using the brothel: They are feminine female; they are into prostitution as a kink; they are at least slightly submissively orientated. None of these are true for content that can be randomy encountered in a field. The better content is gated, the easier and more enjoyable it is to write.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I missed the win/loss scenes with Helia after she becomes your follower. Not that her follower scenes were inferior, I'm just saying.

Well, there aren't any followers in TiTS that were originally enemies (yet), but when they are how about a sparring/training mechanic where it just copies the battle?

@Etis: I can't edit in a quote after already posting? Geddy pls fix. Anyway TiTS probably has just as many blurbs for multi cocks as CoC but nowhere near as many scenes that take advantage of it. And zero tentacular masturbation. Hell with the Prehensive flag they don't even need to be tentacles.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I missed the win/loss scenes with Helia after she becomes your follower. Not that her follower scenes were inferior, I'm just saying.

I'm... 99% sure her follower scenes were just her combat scenes verbatim. She got new ones, too, but all of the plains scenes should have persisted?

1400 posts get whooo.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well, there aren't any followers in TiTS that were originally enemies (yet), but when they are how about a sparring/training mechanic where it just copies the battle?

Well not the best example but IF PC is Treated then...NT Varmit say HI :p

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Huh, really? My mistake, then.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well not like this one follower is easy to get now, technically till 'npc to taming will be written' it's gated behind taking treatment. So not big deal you not noticed it so all fine saleh ^^

THou I do wish some new crewmate that was enemy on...'higher intelligence' level that this little adorable NT puppy ;)

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Oh noes, Naleen huntress waifu is too good to die. Is there any particular reason Fen is opposed to her?  Cause it really seems like she'd have broad appeal to the TiTS player base. Although my understanding of the fanbase may be wildly off base. 

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I can see why she wouldn't be a good spaceship follower, but she's prime material for an x-pac and become even more of a memorable character.