Steele's harem census

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
I didn't do much with Del since my main character is female, but while he/she seems renuent at first, she likes you, as Beth's says. So there's some minimal emotional bond, even tho it means she becomes a slut it's because she considers your actions. Maybe "infatuated" is the word, or is it too much?

Hana reminds me a lot of the spider-lady of CoC (almost same background).
Either she's meant to have the PC slowly take the place of her husband (really soft stuff here, about her finding again her feelings and blabla) in future content, or the exact opposite (which seems to be the current situation), and she isn't interested in the least to have any sort of relationship aside of the occassional sex.

there's also at least 2 other characters that might get some content later -might-:
Anyxine Rehenesune and Nerrassa. Anyxine has a naked (and very erect) pic, and Nerrassa has one with -what looks like- a Hardlight strapon. Neither has content so far, so pictures might be just bonuses, or there's some extra options incoming.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
You know they ain't touching that code monster ever again. lol

I was just reading about it on other thread o_O
But I can always hope that adding content might not meant modifying existant code (basically, in the next century, if this happens, a new "folder" code might be made for their interaction. I guess it might be easy to have a separate file for Gianna-Bess/Ben interaction-dialogue, since it won't happen without one of them and won't require to modify anything already there. I think I saw something like that in CoCs codes)

(note the amounts of "might"s :p )

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
@Lancer *After reading the legalities Article* Fascinating, so by technically you can add and or modify some scenes

@Emerald Btw is Gianna really that much of a hassle in her coding? Although considering the amount of content she has with her silicones and hot-swaps I can understand that really.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
[USER=8029]@Emerald Btw is Gianna really that much of a hassle in her coding? Although considering the amount of content she has with her silicones and hot-swaps I can understand that really.[/USER]
I wasn't talking about Gianna, I was talking about Bess/Ben being a code monster for obvious reasons. (They burned out Code Dragon.)

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
I wasn't talking about Gianna, I was talking about Bess/Ben being a code monster for obvious reasons. (They burned out Code Dragon.)

Totally see why, considering the amount of data.

Years ago, I was in a modding forum of an old RPG (which was released but unfinished and riddled with bugs). Basically, there was a crazy team adding and "unlocking" content (since the game was unfinished, there was a HUGE ton of stuff inside the files. Imagine you open TiTs files, and theres a whole planet, with characters, events and everything unused, and also 50% more of maps with items and spells not in the game. HUGE ton).
I joined the team, and it was madness. Even doing portraits of 150 x 150p was complicated. From portraits, I jumped to item pics, then to maps, and then graphics and effects.
The trick was, the manufacturer never released any kind tools, neither allowed any official mods or anything. They closed shut any way of doing anything. So we were basically working blindly. It was looking at endless lists of code, and figure this and that, just to make a simple event, using a text and hex editor. I got so involved/obssesed with it (pretty much all of the team), I was literally spending whole nights hunching on the screen rather than fucking with my lover (of that time) which was a couple feet away on bed.
I managed to "crack" the code of magic effects (which allowed another coder to make a program to read it and mod it without a text editor), and also managed to finally change in-game 3d graphics, just modifying the numerical attributes in text, changing coordinates and nodes and testing (before that, we only had the already made models, and no 3D program was compatible. I was cheating away carefully painting skins, and alphaing -i.e: cutting portions- but it had limits)
I got so burned out, I literally dissapeared from the forum (and now I'm quite ashamed to return).

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
I got so burned out, I literally dissapeared from the forum (and now I'm quite ashamed to return).

This happened to me on a forum. Had nothing to do with coding or anything like that though. Years later and by the time I actually got the nerve to even look up the site, it turned out that it had shut down. Now I can never go back. I regret this, and the regret is stronger the ashamed feeling I had from leaving and the fear I felt of going back.

After everything you did for them, I would think that they would be pleased to see you again. If not, you can always say you tried. It is better than never going back and not knowing, or not being able to ever go back.

Reactions: OnyxDrakkenblade

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
This happened to me on a forum. Had nothing to do with coding or anything like that though. Years later and by the time I actually got the nerve to even look up the site, it turned out that it had shut down. Now I can never go back. I regret this, and the regret is stronger the ashamed feeling I had from leaving and the fear I felt of going back.

After everything you did for them, I would think that they would be pleased to see you again. If not, you can always say you tried. It is better than never going back and not knowing, or not being able to ever go back.

I have no doubts they would be pleased. Or at least, I won't be shut out. I didn't left in bad terms at all.
But 2 years ago, my apartment burned. With half of my personal stuff, including my PC, disks and most of my paper-originals... nearly 20 years of work gone. I have literally nothing to show work-related (aside of some small old work not worth the effort of scanning), and all my work (pictures, skins, maps, codes..) for the game is gone. Half of it they have it -luckily- but I don't have the mood to start over again everything. So better this way, I left a good "legacy" of work there, and a good name I'm relatively proud of (I guess lol).
Anyways, enough crying. Don't wanna derail another thread lol! :p

Reactions: RanmaChan

adev

Apr 27, 2017

What exactly is the issue - apart from the amount of content? I have read about unmaintainable/horrible code in a number of threads (here, the Pippa thread, somewhere else about foe) and I honestly don't see it. The code of Bess is IMHO quite good - I would rate it above average to be honest. There is usually a reason for the things that are done, it does not try to be overly clever and most stuff is reasonably named...

Yes there is room for improvement eg in the use of the parser, and with a bit of parser improvement the output() calls can be made even more simple (ie less interruptions of the string with function calls) but you can usually see what it is doing.

So the only obstacle to new scenes with this character is really writing them with the amount of customisation Bess allows or filtering the availability of the scene (eg like it is done with taurs already).

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
In terms of length, Bess is going to eventually be beaten by Fisi (who's already more than half of Bess' word count), once her xpaks are done. Plus at least one other project, can't remember off the top of my head. But Bess will always be more complicated because of everything Em said.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
But Bess will always be more complicated because of everything Em said.

Where? Because in this thread he only said:
You know they ain't touching that code monster ever again. lol
and:

Bess has a lot of code because of the number of options (which should be handled mostly by parser calls) and the number of already existing scenes (which is largely irrelevant unless the new scene depends on it somehow).

I really try to understand the problem here, but from what I've seen so far this is really a writer problem - not a code problem.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Parsers are the least of the problem. The sheer amount variant blurbs that would need to be used. If Bess/Ben has a dom, sub or equal relation with Steele whether they lactate, whether they have boobs at all, whether they have a dick, whether they have a pussy, whether Steele has a knot and the list goes on. It all needs to be hand coded in.

For any new content to be added to Bess/Ben it would be both writing and coding problem.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Not sure why but I think Em deleted her post? Oh well, whatever.

Here's the gist of it: Someone could code new content for Bess or any other Bess-tier NPC, but it would take a while. And that's assuming anyone writes it.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
The sheer amount variant blurbs that would need to be used. If Bess/Ben has a dom, sub or equal relation with Steele whether they lactate, whether they have boobs at all, whether they have a dick, whether they have a pussy, whether Steele has a knot and the list goes on. It all needs to be hand coded in.

Variations in the PC have to be considered for all npc and for variations regarding bess just gate it off if it has not been written yet - there are many things that may lock me out of certain scenes, why does that has to be different for dom/sub npcs? Single exception is required story missions, but an optional npc should not be a problem for this... You could even put a stub in where the player simply chooses the outcome of the interaction. Beautiful? Not really, but hardly a show stopper.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Variations in the PC have to be considered for all npc and for variations regarding bess just gate it off if it has not been written yet - there are many things that may lock me out of certain scenes, why does that has to be different for dom/sub npcs? Single exception is required story missions, but an optional npc should not be a problem for this... You could even put a stub in where the player simply chooses the outcome of the interaction. Beautiful? Not really, but hardly a show stopper.
Yeah, that's just taking into account/coding in Steele's variations; with Bess/Ben you also have to take into account/code in Ben/Bess's variations and Steele's variations in Bess/Ben's variations.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Any scene that someone write involving PC and Bess/Ben for sure will take quite long to code (assuming devs will nto intentionaly cut down this at writing stage). Up to point I think any other npc could get whole X-pack coded.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Fisianna the very shy Nekomata currently being worked on by @Lkynmbr24. Here's the link to her thread.
https://forum.fenoxo.com/threads/coded-fisianna-the-very-shy-nekomata.5319/

Edit: Darn! I just got ninja'd!

Ah that one, just saw it the other day, didn't associated Fisi and Fisianna :p
(honestly, I asked because Noobsaleh got me interested saying she will eventually beat Bess/Ben in content, but it was my misunderstanding, he meant she has more word content, not "complexity")

Noob question 2: Nekomata is a term or a sort of new race?

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
It seems someone felt that using a mere kaithrit wouldn't be enough.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
It seems someone felt that using a mere kaithrit wouldn't be enough.
Fisi being a female kaithrit wouldn't have exactly fit the character, it certainly wasn't just wanting her to be a bit more of a special snowflake.

Here's the exact post where Lkynmbr goes through his reasoning.
About the nekomata quip you mentioned, I realize you're right! I kinda made a Steele character before this that was a Kaithrit and I wanted to mod him to be more like a humanoid nekomata by the game's racial score but most transformations I used while he had 2 tails and high femininity kept identifying them as a Kaithrit. I want to differentiate Fisianna from a normal Kaithrit and make her as unique as possible (to which made me think of an idea for an expac in which the PC can help her finish her transformation and turn her into a full blown furry anthro cat!) I may wind up having her have 2 tails to keep the nekomata description as accurate as possible but the fully blown out furry Fisianna would most likely be expac content. For this matter, it also might make it a bit easier for me to have her start as a modded human after all, as that could open up a bit more background to work with as I don't know a great deal as much about Kaithrit culture than what humans could. Again not 100% sure on this yet but we'll come to that bridge when we come to it! As far as her height is concerned I prolly wouldn't want her to be as amazonian as a Kaithrit either as being too tall might make her lose a bit of her cuteness factor xD I was likely gonna make her a modest 5'8 or 68 inches tall which I think is still acceptable by Kaithrit standards... Again a bridge to come to though if I make her a modded human or Kaithrit xD

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
Fisi being a female kaithrit wouldn't have exactly fit the character, it certainly wasn't just wanting her to be a bit more of a special snowflake.

Here's the exact post where Lkynmbr goes through his reasoning.
To add to this, this is also one reason I changed her height to 5'0 from 5'8, since it goes well outside of the range of normal Kaithrit female height standards, but moreso fits a human range of height, though on the shorter side. :)

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
If the character is to get a furry xpat, starting as a modded human instead of a kaithrit's something I can get behind. Now, if average female kaithrit height happened to be the problem, one could always say she took re-sizing mods or whatever.

Lancer

Nov 1, 2016
If the character is to get a furry xpat, starting as a modded human instead of a kaithrit's something I can get behind. Now, if average female kaithrit height happened to be the problem, one could always say she took re-sizing mods or whatever.
But then you'd have to get into the reasons behind her decision to become shorter, and I can't think of any really fit Fisi. The average kaithrit height was only a minor problem, and besides, the content is written (and there's a lot of it), and changing such an important character trait would take way too much work.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I can't think of any really fit Fisi.
"Why?"
"Why not?"

I may be wrong, of course. If I am, could you tell me why, please? I can't say I am interested in a shy catgirl character enough to go through a GDoc which contents are more than half of those of effing Ben/Bess :eyepop:

adev

Apr 27, 2017
You assumed I wouldn't read... ooh come on, that is unfair. If you delete it though I can't read it, that's for sure.

And getting through to me? Well the problem is - all that was said is variations of 'it is to hard to code for this character' without pointing out why.

Point me to an example where there is a scene that is made substantially more difficult to code by having bess as participant.

looking over includes/tarkus/bess.as
* there is approx 4000 lines of character customization - that is done

* then follow 6000 lines of story events that don't really branch that much

* line 10.000+ is the sex. Yes, that code is more complicated, but because of the detailed descriptions sex scenes will always be more complicated.
And a lot of the branches are alternatives picked at random or depend on player characteristics which has nothing to to bess. Outliers are dominance (and rarely relationship status).
These functions could be made more digestible by putting dom/sub scenes in separate functions (even if this means duplicating a few pieces of common text). Seriously - these functions are just to long.
And this is also an area where it is easy to make expansions easier to add: There is no dominant bess doggy scene yet? Just test it and show a disabled button or divert the player into an alternative. It's done all the time: not every scene is - or has to be - available for every variation.

* line 12.600+ intimate sex is again less complicate code

* line 13.000 to the end is progress report code that nobody bothered to write for other characters so I skipped over it.

So far I simply have not seen complicated story mission code and the sex scene code could probably have been simplified or gated off if that variant would not have existed. What do I miss?