Steele's harem census

Aullama

Creator
Dec 12, 2016
What exactly is the issue - apart from the amount of content? I have read about unmaintainable/horrible code in a number of threads (here, the Pippa thread, somewhere else about foe) and I honestly don't see it. The code of Bess is IMHO quite good - I would rate it above average to be honest. There is usually a reason for the things that are done, it does not try to be overly clever and most stuff is reasonably named...

Yes there is room for improvement eg in the use of the parser, and with a bit of parser improvement the output() calls can be made even more simple (ie less interruptions of the string with function calls) but you can usually see what it is doing.

So the only obstacle to new scenes with this character is really writing them with the amount of customisation Bess allows or filtering the availability of the scene (eg like it is done with taurs already).

Well, I'm almost certain that you saw the code after it was fixed and set properly for the game, so all you're saying is that the coders did a good job with a messy pile.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
You assumed I wouldn't read... ooh come on, that is unfair. If you delete it though I can't read it, that's for sure.

And getting through to me? Well the problem is - all that was said is variations of 'it is to hard to code for this character' without pointing out why.

Point me to an example where there is a scene that is made substantially more difficult to code by having bess as participant.

looking over includes/tarkus/bess.as
* there is approx 4000 lines of character customization - that is done

* then follow 6000 lines of story events that don't really branch that much

* line 10.000+ is the sex. Yes, that code is more complicated, but because of the detailed descriptions sex scenes will always be more complicated.
And a lot of the branches are alternatives picked at random or depend on player characteristics which has nothing to to bess. Outliers are dominance (and rarely relationship status).
These functions could be made more digestible by putting dom/sub scenes in separate functions (even if this means duplicating a few pieces of common text). Seriously - these functions are just to long.
And this is also an area where it is easy to make expansions easier to add: There is no dominant bess doggy scene yet? Just test it and show a disabled button or divert the player into an alternative. It's done all the time: not every scene is - or has to be - available for every variation.

* line 12.600+ intimate sex is again less complicate code

* line 13.000 to the end is progress report code that nobody bothered to write for other characters so I skipped over it.

So far I simply have not seen complicated story mission code and the sex scene code could probably have been simplified or gated off if that variant would not have existed. What do I miss?

It's not that it's hard, it's that it is very tedious because of all the variations. "Codemonster" or "nightmare to code" doesn't mean it requires some sort of intermediate programming knowledge, just that it takes twice as long or more to implement what is effectively the same amount of content. Coding TiTS scenes is already a pretty bland and time-consuming process, compounding that just leads to burn out.

Also, I recommend you drop the pretentious code guru shtick. It's very grating.

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015

What Aullama and Emerald said.

Your focusing on the finished product and not the process in making it.

You are essentially looking at a finished boat and then go look at its blueprints and say, "Hey that looks easy" when the process of building the boat initially, had no blueprints to look at. At the time that made coding it a tedious and time consuming to do, almost to the point of driving someone to exhaustion.

The way you write your posts makes it look like you believe yourself to be some Coding Guru, knowing all this stuff and telling people whats easy or hard. Id like to see you code some big projects here instead of comparing other people's code to whatever you are using as a base.

Quick sum of the whole thing though: Bess Coding wasn't about the quality of coding, It was about the SHEER amount of quantity in it. That was what caused the problems.

Reactions: Emerald

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
"Why?"
"Why not?"

I may be wrong, of course. If I am, could you tell me why, please? I can't say I am interested in a shy catgirl character enough to go through a GDoc which contents are more than half of those of effing Ben/Bess :eyepop:
Tbh, I wouldn't be able to think of any legit reason she would want to be a slightly shorter munchkin anyways if she were a Kaithrit, although if she was born tall, I imagine she would be shy about her height. Though to the point of wanting to be a short little kitty, I doubt she would, lmao. Nekomatas are pretty beastly anyways so the amazonian tallness would fit her.

Her content should hopefully be in the game in a matter of days so you won't have to trawl through the entire doc to see! It's largely connected to her background anyways, which pretty much ties into her 2nd expac content, in a ways.

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
To add to this, this is also one reason I changed her height to 5'0 from 5'8, since it goes well outside of the range of normal Kaithrit female height standards, but moreso fits a human range of height, though on the shorter side. :)

Ah, you shouldn't had bothered, if height was part of your idea of the character.
Isn't there a huge muscled Kaithrit on one of the bars? (the one you can booze around). And besides... being unusually tall would have been a good reason of why she is shy. For example, one of my best friends is nearly 2 meters tall, and 130-140 kilos, and looks like a shaved gorilla. Despite being a planet in itself, and looking intimidating (he's also a Prison Guard), he's very timid when it comes to relationships. Another friend is almost the same height but skinny, tho he's one of the handsomest guys I know, despite girls melting at his feet, he's really shy and spent years before he had an actual relationship. And both are the cuddly, romantic type, very much like Fisianna.
It would make total sense for her to have her height as a sort of complex that makes her shy, considering that Kais are short and agile, she would feel out of place.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
considering that Kais are short and agile, she would feel out of place.
What? Where did you get that? Kaithrit females are described as amazon-like for the most part, being on average taller than not only kaithrit males but also average human males.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Well, I'm almost certain that you saw the code after it was fixed and set properly for the game, so all you're saying is that the coders did a good job with a messy pile.
Yes of course I refer to the current state - I entered the topic when someone said nobody would touch bess now because coding it would be to hard.
And yes - the coder did a good job (In the text you quoted I directly said as much). Fact is, for an expansion today it does not really matter if it was difficult to do in the past.

I posted in this thread because I was looking for difficult code to see what engine enhancement/functionality could make it easier for content creators to realise their visions - and apart from the sex scenes that I have to look at again I did not find that much horrible code in this file.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Yes of course I refer to the current state - I entered the topic when someone said nobody would touch bess now because coding it would be to hard.
And yes - the coder did a good job (In the text you quoted I directly said as much). Fact is, for an expansion today it does not really matter if it was difficult to do in the past.

I posted in this thread because I was looking for difficult code to see what engine enhancement/functionality could make it easier for content creators to realise their visions - and apart from the sex scenes that I have to look at again I did not find that much horrible code in this file.
It's a hassle, inconvenient, not worth the time, etc.
No one ever said it was difficult. This is a concept you came up with on your own, and it really seems like you're trying to come off as intelligent by refuting it's difficulty or coming to help all the poor coding peons that make TiTS.

If you think you can make the system better, do it and submit a pull request.

Last edited:

adev

Apr 27, 2017
I don't see how the amount of existing and revised code could be detrimental to expanding a well developed and received character, but if that is my invention then it is my problem.

To you and others: stop worrying about my coding abilities - it's usually good enough.
No I'm not perfect. And neither is the tits source: there are bugs (some of which I have reported), there are inefficiencies (some of which I have reported) and there are bad coding practices - like in any code base (mine included).

Let's be real: stuffing 80% of the code of a substantial program into one class is not good code, effectively eliminating scope (in code and data) is not good code, using recursion where it is not necessary or simplifies the algorithm is not good code, creating new class instances all over the place for comparison purposes and then discarding them (if possible in a loop) is not good code and yes IMHO 600 lines functions with 5 level of nested conditionals is not good code.

And finally: Stop assuming and read what I actually write - I was looking for problematic code and apart from the sex functions did not really find what I thought would be there... code so bad that nobody would want to touch it.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
More wall of text
Dude..
Just stop, seriously. You obviously don't get what we're trying to get through to you. So just stop. :/

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Post better.
Pretty sure adev is offering to take over coding full time.

Reactions: Colourless

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well he can try add some new scene to Bess/Ben. SInce he make it sounds like "ohh so in that short lunch break I coded two new Bess/Ben scenes" attitude. Better option would be for him personaly try code it and then feel it first hand what Gedan felt and not wanna fell again. Only we not have any new scene for him to even try code since noone want touch this monster or write for her/him any new stuff xD

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Why are the non-coding folks with only hearsay from whatever Gedan and company mention throwing their weight around on the issue? Bess was a messy doc with a lot of variables in it, it's not impossible to continue making content for them. Adding more variables might be an issue as it implied further customization which would be an issue for already written scenes, as well as simply hitting JimT's artistic qualities, but beyond that...

Stop harping the vague community meme as if ya'll really knew what you were talking about. @adev I recommend PMing Gedan if you really want to try that rabbit hole for information.

Reactions: Couch and Lancer

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
Why are the non-coding folks with only hearsay from whatever Gedan and company mention throwing their weight around on the issue?
Stop harping the vague community meme as if ya'll really knew what you were talking about. @adev I recommend PMing Gedan if you really want to try that rabbit hole for information.

Honestly, I was thinking the same.

Guys, what if Adev actually finds the current coding easy? Maybe he is that good, and the file in it's current state (which is what he's saying) is easy to understand for him. Sure, he might not be a developer/contributor, but judging him by what he thinks, based on what you think someone else thinks is neither correct, polite or nice.

I bring the matter because I got the same treatment: threw a simple opinion/suggestion, and soon it was a mob linch speaking on someone else's name (who apparently didn't even had an issue with what I was saying), and twisting or misunderstanding what I was trying to say, judging and treating me like shit.

And I see this happening a lot here.
Is not cool for the one that is trying to start a conversation or making a simple opinion, and is not cool for the forum itself, having a rash fan base that might scare off new fans. I've been hanging around some other places because I got "scared off" from here (actually, I was pissed off), and when commented about this forum, the usual reply was "I don't hang around there, they're a bunch of stuck ups" (words were actually less... educated), despite the game/s (CoCs and TiTs) being regarded as top examples of good games.

And I'm not trying to start a fight, or judging anyone, to the contrary, I enjoy being around discussing TiTs, just as much as old fans here, or new ones trying to get to the party. That's why we're all here, after all, by interest in the game.

I don't see what's the offense of Adev's comments. he's saying that what he sees in the file, can be worked out. He's not making a fool of himself, to the contrary, he's taking the work of looking at the files, bringing specific data (number and more numbers), and calling for specific details of coding... which is a lot more coherent (and tells me at least he knows what he's talking about) than just yelling "you don't know, shut up".

Peace!

Reactions: Draconoid

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Hmm it's turned into a "put your money where your mouth is"? I mean if adev can actually code and help codedragon that'd be good, game could always use more coders seeing as that would mean content getting added faster.

Reactions: ShySquare

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Hmm it's turned into a "put your money where your mouth is"? I mean if adev can actually code and help codedragon that'd be good, game could always use more coders seeing as that would mean content getting added faster.

We already have an overflow of writers, its always been code that holds the game back since the backlog of stuff to code has never run dry. If Adev is even at an intermediate level of skill it would help tremendously to have more hands in the nitty gritty.

Reactions: ShySquare

irioth

May 12, 2016
I've added Fisianna (of course), Chrissy, and Azra to the list. Although the latter has no sex scenes yet, I suppose it is just a matter of time.

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Captain, bad post coming up! We're gonna breaaaak!
I've added Fisianna (of course), Chrissy, and Azra to the list. Although the latter has no sex scenes yet, I suppose it is just a matter of time.
Necro, off the port side!

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
That and it's been only 1 week since the last post was done before then anyways. xD

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Yeah I would say a week ain't enough time for something to be necro-d, plus I'd like to think that the OP gets some leeway posting in their own thread.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I think 3 weeks or more is where I would call it a Necro'd thread. This is fine though.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Afaik if OP make new post it it own thread than no matter how long passed it's still not counted as necro xD

Btw @irioth I think you may need also to move Pippa from planet section to crew section. She have x-pack that allow to make her crew member.

irioth

May 12, 2016
It is my intention to keep this list relevant and useful for other players that may wish to use it for reference by updating it when authors add new lovers/fuckbuddies (even if it is not always easy to understand when a new NPC or content fits) or crewmembers. I think it is best if I add a notice about it to the thread, and I welcome people to provide ideas and suggestions by posting. If this interferes with someone else's notions of necro'ing a thread, I'm sorry.

I think it may be simpler this way than me posting a new, duplicate thread every time new harem content is added to the game. However, if you wish, I suppose I could post new threads for the updated list, perhaps by adding date in the title to keep them distinct. Just tell me what looks best for the forum.

@Ormael Thank you for reminding me about Pippa. Her new content had escaped my notice. Going to change her from planetbound fuckbuddy to crewmember waifu.

Last edited:

irioth

May 12, 2016
Yay for new crewmembers, but it goes w/o saying that with maximum crew size having grown to a dozen-plus members, the available living space of the Casstech Z-14 looks even more ridiculously inadequate. This is me wishing the ship upgrade weren't gated by the space combat one, which I have scarce interest in. Thankfully at least I prefer Sera as occasional planetbound dom lover and inseminator, not to mention credit source and item seller with a fixed, reliable catalogue, than a sub sex-slave crewmember waifu.

Last edited:

Doodlecat

Dec 13, 2016
Argentina
This is me wishing the ship upgrade weren't gated by the space combat one, which I have scarce interest in. ...
I prefer Sera as occasional planetbound dom lover and inseminator, not to mention credit source and item seller with a fixed, reliable catalogue, than a sub sex-slave crewmember waifu.

+1 and +1.

And I'd like to have a male crew recruit, or someone with a real flesh dick.

Btw, just for detail since you've turned your list into a generic list for guide, and have both alternative versions of Sera... wouldn't be worth to add the alternative Sigewulfs? Also for Tam-Wolf, since only the Tech can get his final upgrade. And Pexiga is initially brain-dead, and can be "upgraded" only if you haven't bimbofied Badger first. Technically, they all are "alternative" versions...

irioth

May 12, 2016
And I'd like to have a male crew recruit, or someone with a real flesh dick.

I share the feeling, but technically speaking, half of your wish is fulfilled already, since wiki tells me (I'm unwilling to backtrack my playthrough that far to check it personally) sex scenes with sub Sera include Steele playing with Sera'd dick and riding it cowgirl style. I dearly wish this game had a little more vanilla male and female lovers/fuckbuddies, and a little less bloody dickgirls under every stone.

Btw, just for detail since you've turned your list into a generic list for guide, and have both alternative versions of Sera... wouldn't be worth to add the alternative Sigewulfs? Also for Tam-Wolf, since only the Tech can get his final upgrade. And Pexiga is initially brain-dead, and can be "upgraded" only if you haven't bimbofied Badger first. Technically, they all are "alternative" versions...

Good point, although alternative, equally developed D/s versions of Sera as Steele's lover belong in different sections of the list, while alternative versions of Siegwulfe, Tam-wolf, and Pexiga are crewmembers nonetheless. So I suppose it might suffice if I just drop their suffixes marking them as a specific version from the list. Theoretically speaking, there are other potential crewmembers that may be played as such or be kept as occasional planetbound lovers/fuckbuddies, but I assume pretty much anyone interested in using this kind of list as a guide would usually prefer to have as big a crew harem as possible. Sera is kind of a special case, I think.

Technically speaking, it is not strictly necessary to be a Tech to acquire the undamaged or 2.0 versions of Tam-wolf, just to have the right level 1-8 Tech perk(s) (I don't know which one(s), but I assume the answer is buried somewhere in githhub code). My class is Mercenary, but since I save edited my way in having all perks from all classes, I got Tam-wolf undamaged and upgraded to 2.0 during the Stellar Tether/Eye of the Beholder quests w/o any difficulty.

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I share the feeling, but technically speaking, half of your wish is fulfilled already, since wiki tells me (I'm unwilling to backtrack my playthrough that far to check it personally) sex scenes with sub Sera include Steele playing with Sera'd dick and riding it cowgirl style.
Which is only available if you have a vag, so.. yeah.