Special Flags: Power Armor

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
That's never coming out, lol. It "started" in like 2013 or 2014. Although I will admit the original docs have some nice pictures.

It's also not even that lewd. I have a much lewder armor commission planned.

There's at least some plans for how we kind of handle it: see special weapons that require power armor to operate as effectively as possible, etc, but very little else so far. I wanna do something simple early on (see: 'smashing some content together to plug into space combat, once the ~example fites~ for space combat function) in the Giant Fuckhuge Plans Of Oh Fuck so we'll see what happens I guess.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Sounds good. By the way does power armor necessarily need to be big and bulky to be called "power armor"?

Just to clarify guys, "We have something planned." != "I''m totally 'bout to code the Chowder, bro!"

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Power armor only inherently means that it has powered systems that at minimum carry itself and if your tech is good enough, it actually adds it's extra capability towards carrying heavier loads (weapons, armor, other equipment) and/or enhancing the wearer's own capabilities. Sufficient levels of space magic would let one have as bulk or as skinny of powered armor as one would like. Like in real life we've got the first step towards proper power armor which is exo-suits which let users do shit like move heavy shit around like missiles to be loaded onto planes. I can dig up various images and shit later to prove my points.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
In games power suits was sometimes bulky and sometimes really thin been nothing more than additional layer of synth mucles with little more of additon. Game could have both as it would be anwya handwaved with space magic how they can work in some cases. It's all about sex anyway right?

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
I like to consider Master Chief and Samus Aran's armor to be the norm for power armor, anything bulkier is likely to either be ancient and low-tech (like WH40k armor), or an exoskeletal mech like the ones in Planetside 2.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Master Chief's armor is dogshit in comparison to Imperial power armor and Samus' runs on some of the best space magic there is. Kinda unfair to compare the three as they're all in pretty different classes.

Reactions: RanmaChan

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I didn't know (believe) Samus was a girl until I was like 15.

Anyway I kind of want to ask you guys some more questions and gather ideas for my armor, but none of you are perverted enough. Now to be fair, 40K is great and all, but still.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada
I like to consider Master Chief and Samus Aran's armor to be the norm for power armor, anything bulkier is likely to either be ancient and low-tech (like WH40k armor)

The fact that you said this means you know nothing about the power armor in Warhammer 40k, other than a lot of the suits are ancient. Just because most of them (google Iron Halo) don't have an integrated energy shield or allow you to roll into a little ball doesn't mean that they are, by any means, low tech.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
That looks more like a magical girl transformation than anything else.

Candycane

Dec 9, 2016
Despite the level of heresy this image represents I must share it....
509.jpg

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Gotta love how hilarious that image is after episode 18.

Incidentally, KLK also provides a decent excuse for skimpy armor and is pretty damn close to being power armor itself in a loose enough sense.

Reactions: Candycane

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
That looks more like a magical girl transformation than anything else.

Blame alien hyperspace magic. The human-made ones are Master Chief-esque suits you have to put on, but those don't come with shots of Blade's ass. I considered posting the Guyver, but that's shockingly hard to find good footage of that isn't from the Mark Hamill movie.

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
The fact that you said this means you know nothing about the power armor in Warhammer 40k, other than a lot of the suits are ancient. Just because most of them (google Iron Halo) don't have an integrated energy shield or allow you to roll into a little ball doesn't mean that they are, by any means, low tech.
RELATIVELY low-tech, for TiTS setting. Being a suit that only works for the heavily altered (mutated) superhuman soldier inside is cool and all, but I think we're giving them a little too much credit.
Anyway I kind of want to ask you guys some more questions and gather ideas for my armor, but none of you are perverted enough. Now to be fair, 40K is great and all, but still.
Fine. How about... Kinetica?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
There's at least some plans for how we kind of handle it: see special weapons that require power armor to operate as effectively as possible, etc, but very little else so far. I wanna do something simple early on (see: 'smashing some content together to plug into space combat, once the ~example fites~ for space combat function) in the Giant Fuckhuge Plans Of Oh Fuck so we'll see what happens I guess.

I kinda feel like I want to split the concept into multiple versions, and use 'power armor' more as 'augmented armor' with a couple of different lines that it could take; explicitly so we might have something that would fit the kind of things the different player classes play on. Or maybe 'power armor' explicitly refers to one type of augmented armor, that kinda thing.

We'd have the big, bulky war machine type thing for Mercs; something designed to enhance their physique (which, by extension, allows them to wield heavier weapons). "I maek u stronk"

Something light-weight for Smugglers; either designed for enhanced speed or reflexes, something of that nature. "I maek u fast, steady."

Techs I'm not so sure on. Playing into an amplifier of some sort might work; like a giant, mobile reactor that feeds into all the things they use. More power = more gooder shields, higher energy weapon damage. "I maek u powerful".

That, at least, would be the basics. I wouldn't restrict these to each class or anything, but that would be the underlying design paradigm of three different directions that could be taken as a basis.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I kinda feel like I want to split the concept into multiple versions, and use 'power armor' more as 'augmented armor' with a couple of different lines that it could take; explicitly so we might have something that would fit the kind of things the different player classes play on. Or maybe 'power armor' explicitly refers to one type of augmented armor, that kinda thing.

We'd have the big, bulky war machine type thing for Mercs; something designed to enhance their physique (which, by extension, allows them to wield heavier weapons). "I maek u stronk"

Something light-weight for Smugglers; either designed for enhanced speed or reflexes, something of that nature. "I maek u fast, steady."

Techs I'm not so sure on. Playing into an amplifier of some sort might work; like a giant, mobile reactor that feeds into all the things they use. More power = more gooder shields, higher energy weapon damage. "I maek u powerful".

That, at least, would be the basics. I wouldn't restrict these to each class or anything, but that would be the underlying design paradigm of three different directions that could be taken as a basis.

I wound up doing something similar with a project that I've had in the works. What I did for the tech-oriented concept was have the armor include a pair of large integrated drones that provide augmentation to the user's weapon attacks, extra shields and energy, etc.

Reactions: Ormael

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
RELATIVELY low-tech, for TiTS setting. Being a suit that only works for the heavily altered (mutated) superhuman soldier inside is cool and all, but I think we're giving them a little too much credit.

Fine. How about... Kinetica?
There are models that are sized for normal humans, it's just that the finer control of the suit is lost on normal humans because normal humans lack the black carapace augment that Astartes get.

Also FTL tech aside, which is really just a difference of how the universes work, even the degraded as fuck IoM's human tech kinda shits all over TITs tech that we've seen. Like there's a story about the adMech accessing some lost functions in one of their ships which basically unlocked a black hole gun that took a shot through what is essential a storm that fucks space and time like a industrial fuck-factory fucks a goblin girl and almost hit a space elf ship that only dodged the shot because that had a space elf that could literally predict the future predict the shot and dodge it. Then, instead of taking another shot like someone with lesser tech would, the ship used time manipulation tech to shift things back so the elf ship would get hit anyways. And then it turns out that basically all the admech's ships might just have the same capacity on top of also having full records of all of humanity's tech that are about as easy to use as an easy bake oven. Only shame is that because it's 40k and the plot can't really progress, the dude doing the piloting and learning all this neat shit forgot everything when he disconnected.

Golden Age humanity in that setting was stupidly powerful. And the IoM still has a good chunk of the shit, even if much of it is just out of reach for them.

Reactions: RanmaChan

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I wound up doing something similar with a project that I've had in the works. What I did for the tech-oriented concept was have the armor include a pair of large integrated drones that provide augmentation to the user's weapon attacks, extra shields and energy, etc.

That would be neat, but it kinda locks the armor into only really being useful for a single class- the idea of giving general combat drones to the other classes has not gone down well and it's messy (see: we have like 5 different versions of tamwolf around to ensure techs always have one slightly better than the rest).

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I think Candycane's armor is the direction we should invest production in. It provides the most protection.

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
Power armor only inherently means that it has powered systems that at minimum carry itself and if your tech is good enough, it actually adds it's extra capability towards carrying heavier loads (weapons, armor, other equipment) and/or enhancing the wearer's own capabilities. Sufficient levels of space magic would let one have as bulk or as skinny of powered armor as one would like. Like in real life we've got the first step towards proper power armor which is exo-suits which let users do shit like move heavy shit around like missiles to be loaded onto planes. I can dig up various images and shit later to prove my points.
My understanding is that the size of the suit is what determines whether it's power armor or a mech or even an exo-suit or such. Not stated in that is the obvious that they are all powered by some mechanism. Often batteries, a power core, or an engine. Generally, power armor is little more bulky than the creature wearing it. Sometimes as much as several inches of thickness around the body. Once the proportions between the two become more drastic it is not considered power armor as it is no long armor, even though it may be armored.

Blame alien hyperspace magic. The human-made ones are Master Chief-esque suits you have to put on, but those don't come with shots of Blade's ass. I considered posting the Guyver, but that's shockingly hard to find good footage of that isn't from the Mark Hamill movie.
I'm not sure I'd call guyver a power armor. More of a biological symbiote, like venom.

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I've always been partial to Westwood's interpretation of the Imperial Sadukar from Dune.

Sadukar power armor operated somewhat like the Freman's stil-suits offering protection and comfort in hostile environments, provided enhanced athletic ability allowing them to march for prolonged periods and carry heavier loads making squads more self-sufficient in the field and allowed individual soldiers to field crew-served weapons.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
That would be neat, but it kinda locks the armor into only really being useful for a single class- the idea of giving general combat drones to the other classes has not gone down well and it's messy (see: we have like 5 different versions of tamwolf around to ensure techs always have one slightly better than the rest).

I wound up trying to sidestep making them actually statted as drones for exactly that reason. While my understanding of the code is far from perfect, I'm fairly sure it's straightforward or at least reasonably simple for an armor to contribute damage points the way some weapons add defense, yes? So instead of "here's a combat pet you have to maintain and devs need to do finnicky things with", the armor just adds X amount of Electrical or Burning or whatever damage to the wearer's existing weapons, and it's just assumed that the armor bits are flitting around and attacking while you attack without making a whole separate mechanic to deal with that.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
With changes to tech perks that interact with drones it may be pssible (I suppose) make that when non tech use drone it isn't stronger and better. So then tech using it just add bonuses to any drone PC will use making it always better withotu need to have X versions of each drone to make it diff for techs and other two classes. Naturaly question would be what and how good bonuses would be given by tech that specialized in drone use.

Power Armor as Couch said with inbuild drones in case of PC tech with dron spec giving bonuses to any sued drones would still be not so over the top when used by Merc/Smug but much stonger when inside sit Tech that makes maybe even whole power armor working on 110% of normal efficienty.

As Gedan said about three diff types of armors...I like that idea for tech one version. PA should allow for even better shields maybe with making them more resistant to some type of attacks and allowing to either reduce PC specials cost or in other way allow more often use them.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
There's at least some plans for how we kind of handle it:.
So Brotherthat's submission I posted earlier, was that scrapped as noobsaleh says? I can't tell if you're talking about Brothersthat's or just power armor in general, but it feels like in general.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Well, I didn't mean to shoot you down earlier or anything, but what made you think that that "submission" was submitted or even ready to be submitted, especially when Brotherthat hasn't logged in in over 6 months? Not to mention that thread links to like 5+ different half finished docs. I had my skepticals on then and I still have them on now.

Surely Geddy was talking about power armor in general. And boring, bulky, non-lewd armor at that.

Not like my armor, which is coming out in only [redacted] months.

EDIT: Here's Savin's armor, the only I told you totally existed. Notice how it's all in one doc. There's even some PG-13 "almost lewd" designs.

Last edited:

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
I wound up trying to sidestep making them actually statted as drones for exactly that reason. While my understanding of the code is far from perfect, I'm fairly sure it's straightforward or at least reasonably simple for an armor to contribute damage points the way some weapons add defense, yes? So instead of "here's a combat pet you have to maintain and devs need to do finnicky things with", the armor just adds X amount of Electrical or Burning or whatever damage to the wearer's existing weapons, and it's just assumed that the armor bits are flitting around and attacking while you attack without making a whole separate mechanic to deal with that.
Yeah wouldn't it be awesome if the first REALLY impactful drones in the game were actually something that anyone could have not just techies -_-

Naturaly question would be what and how good bonuses would be given by tech that specialized in drone use.
A better question is what would a class OTHER than techie get out of such armor that would make it worthwhile for them to use armor that is clearly designed around techie concepts. I really don't see this going well without a class lines differentiation. But I have been wrong before.

With changes to tech perks that interact with drones it may be pssible (I suppose) make that when non tech use drone it isn't stronger and better. So then tech using it just add bonuses to any drone PC will use making it always better withotu need to have X versions of each drone to make it diff for techs and other two classes. Naturaly question would be what and how good bonuses would be given by tech that specialized in drone use. -snip-
The problem with this is that, in general, the dev team will not be changing the established tech perks from what I understand.

Last edited:

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Drones giving additional attack and I think Gedan once or twice said it would be maybe treated as part of PC team amking fights similar to those group ones we got few tmes. Generaly all classes would get additional attack per turn (if they set drone to attack each turn or use whatever default function they have) with techs got more than 100% effect form those drones cuz they gave up better shields to have better drones.

RanmaChan

Mar 17, 2017
The Frozen North, Canada

Have you never heard of the Sisters of Battle, or the Inquisition in general? Even just really really wealthy people can own a suit of power armor. Yes, being a genetically enhanced super soldier does help to improve your performance quite a lot, but the same thing goes in Master Chief's case as well. They are not low tech in comparison to TiTS' setting, lol.

I like Gedan's idea of having different kinds of powered armors, kind of split along class lines, but not restricted to a class. That way if you want to be a Smuggler but also use a BFG you can.