Source Code Access

Discussion in 'Trials in Tainted Space' started by Gedan, Dec 1, 2016.

1. SeriousBlueJewel

SeriousBlueJewel Well-Known Member

Gedan's script is gone and they are working on porting to javascript so there is just no time

Droxzyn likes this.
  2. dragontamer8740

dragontamer8740 Well-Known Member

Uh huh. no time for:
    Code:
    git remote add public-release https://github.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public.git
    git push public-release (commit-hash-here):master
    You can also just put a release tag, or HEAD, or whatever where I said "commit hash here."
    Just assuming it'd be a hash because they don't seem to use release tags historically.
    That is literally all you have to do to do a push of a given commit to the public repository.

Porting the game might be a noble effort, but I just can't buy that they don't have time.

I'm more inclined to attribute it to forgetting or not really feeling the need.

Dorkulon and Droxzyn like this.
  3. SeriousBlueJewel

Considering that Gedan wrote and used a dedicated script I don't think it is that easy

Droxzyn likes this.
  4. null_blank

null_blank Well-Known Member

y so serious

5. SeriousBlueJewel

null what is my name

sumgai, Grimoire, Kesil and 3 others like this.
  6. dragontamer8740

It actually is that easy.
    It's possible the "script" also did some other things, like uploading the files to a server, publishing download links, and updating the "getter" PHP scripts that they use to get the latest version. The sort of script that runs every time you release an update.

But none of that is vital to the basic task of pushing to a git repository; my two lines were likely just two lines in the original script and the rest of it had other functions.
    Also, it doesn't sound like you've used git before beyond 'git clone' and 'git pull' (or potentially using a GUI).

The two commands I gave constitute a complete script to push to the repo sans intelligently getting the commit hash. If you wanted you could replace the thing in parentheses with "%1" or "$1" (depending on platform) and just make an argument to the script be the hash to push.

#66 dragontamer8740, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  7. SeriousBlueJewel

That sounds fair I am not a programmer (and yes I did use a GUI), but if it really is as easy as you say it is why hasn't it been done. (there is most likely something that isn't known)

8. dragontamer8740

That's a good question that I've been wanting an answer for for well over a year. But they aren't forthcoming (radio silence). I can't give you an actual answer because again they have not communicated anything meaningful about the issue in a long, long time, and I'm not part of any "inner circle." I can only draw my own (largely negative/pessimistic) conclusions (like I mentioned above; that they either don't feel the need/care or they forgot for four months).

The only immediate benefit they get from pushing the code is that people doing pull requests/contributions are given a more up-to-date code base to work from.

I'd argue that there's a secondary benefit in that I (and possibly others) would be a bit assured that the "main team" values a degree of transparency. But that's a secondary impact and it's clear a lot of people simply don't care as long as they can still download the binary blob.

#68 dragontamer8740, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  9. SeriousBlueJewel

Fen did ask Gedan for the update

10. dragontamer8740

Interesting; when did that happen?
    And surely fen is capable of running a git command as well?
    I don't know how they have things arranged between them, but it still sounds strange. I have no real context to go by, though.

#70 dragontamer8740, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  11. SeriousBlueJewel

He said so on the discord

12. LoriJ

LoriJ Well-Known Member

I've watched a stream of Fen once and he seemed to be using a GUI, and looking at merges from commits from public forks it seems Geddy does all that (manually?).
    Though I base this on very limited info.

This is a question that has been on my mind so many times, it should indeed be (almost) as easy as dragontamer said..
    I'd hope we got an explanation for that sometime

13. dragontamer8740

Just doing my monthly check-in. Still no source drops in the last five months.

I mean, I know we don't own the code and we shouldn't feel "entitled" to it, but I'd almost rather be told straight up "we're not gonna share it anymore" than get the silent treatment. Then I'd be able to stop thinking about it (after the initial irritation, anyway).

I'm allergic to discord (IRC master race, and also my computer's a potato), but next time it comes up (since apparently fen as asked gedan to fix this before), feel free to share any of the commands I demoed if you think they'll be helpful.
    I don't know if those win32 git GUI's even provide the CLI tool anyways, so it might not help much if the gui is all that fen has used.

#73 dragontamer8740, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  14. SeriousBlueJewel

I think it has to do with the fact they are porting to javascript

Athena likes this.
  15. dragontamer8740

No; porting to javascript doesn't suddenly mean "git push" no longer works for half of a year while game updates continue to be shared in binary form. They're still using a private git repo to collaborate; all they have to do is push a commit sideways to the public-facing remote sometimes.

Again, that's:
    Code:
    git remote add public-release https://github.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public.git
    git push public-release (commit-hash-here):master
    It's now been six months since the last source drop. This is my first time checking since my last post (7 weeks later).

Sorry if I'm getting a bit salty, but the incommunicado really irks me more than anything else.

#75 dragontamer8740, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    SeriousBlueJewel likes this.
  16. Crablord

Crablord Well-Known Member

i love u

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SeriousBlueJewel likes this.
  17. Savin

Savin Master Analmander
    Staff Member

It's not going to get updated again until the JavaScript port is done. So probably next year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...