Source Code Access

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
I hate to beat a dead horse because at this point I'm pretty sure it's just not gonna happen, but it's now been about 1/3 of a year since we had a source drop. Just throwing it out there in the hope someone decides to help us out and rectify that since there could be a public build in the next couple days.

Barring that, if there's some reason (other than not finding the time or not noticing/caring enough) why it has been four months since last push, I'd be interested to hear the reason(s) behind the decision not to update it. Obviously I'm not actually in a position to feel entitled to anything as some random person on the internet, but it'd still be a good gesture that I would appreciate.
Gedan's script is gone and they are working on porting to javascript so there is just no time

Reactions: Droxzyn

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
Gedan's script is gone and they are working on porting to javascript so there is just no time
Uh huh. no time for:
Code:
git remote add public-release https://github.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public.git
git push public-release (commit-hash-here):master
You can also just put a release tag, or HEAD, or whatever where I said "commit hash here."
Just assuming it'd be a hash because they don't seem to use release tags historically.
That is literally all you have to do to do a push of a given commit to the public repository.

Porting the game might be a noble effort, but I just can't buy that they don't have time.

I'm more inclined to attribute it to forgetting or not really feeling the need.

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
Uh huh. no time for:
Code:
You can also just put a release tag, or HEAD, or whatever where I said "commit hash here."
Just assuming it'd be a hash because they don't seem to use release tags historically.
That is literally all you have to do to do a push of a given commit to the public repository.

Porting the game might be a noble effort, but I just can't buy that they don't have time.

I'm more inclined to attribute it to forgetting or not really feeling the need.
Considering that Gedan wrote and used a dedicated script I don't think it is that easy

Reactions: Droxzyn

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
Considering that Gedan wrote and used a dedicated script I don't think it is that easy

It actually is that easy.
It's possible the "script" also did some other things, like uploading the files to a server, publishing download links, and updating the "getter" PHP scripts that they use to get the latest version. The sort of script that runs every time you release an update.

But none of that is vital to the basic task of pushing to a git repository; my two lines were likely just two lines in the original script and the rest of it had other functions.
Also, it doesn't sound like you've used git before beyond 'git clone' and 'git pull' (or potentially using a GUI).

The two commands I gave constitute a complete script to push to the repo sans intelligently getting the commit hash. If you wanted you could replace the thing in parentheses with "%1" or "$1" (depending on platform) and just make an argument to the script be the hash to push.

Last edited:

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
It actually is that easy.
It's possible the "script" also did some other things, like uploading the files to a server, publishing download links, and updating the "getter" PHP scripts that they use to get the latest version. The sort of script that runs every time you release an update.

But none of that is vital to the basic task of pushing to a git repository; my two lines were likely just two lines in the original script and the rest of it had other functions.
Also, it doesn't sound like you've used git before beyond 'git clone' and 'git pull' (or potentially using a GUI).

The two commands I gave constitute a complete script to push to the repo sans intelligently getting the commit hash. If you wanted you could replace the thing in parentheses with "%1" or "$1" (depending on platform) and just make an argument to the script be the hash to push.
That sounds fair I am not a programmer (and yes I did use a GUI), but if it really is as easy as you say it is why hasn't it been done. (there is most likely something that isn't known)

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
That sounds fair I am not a programmer (and yes I did use a GUI), but if it really is as easy as you say it is why hasn't it been done. (there is most likely something that isn't known)
That's a good question that I've been wanting an answer for for well over a year. But they aren't forthcoming (radio silence). I can't give you an actual answer because again they have not communicated anything meaningful about the issue in a long, long time, and I'm not part of any "inner circle." I can only draw my own (largely negative/pessimistic) conclusions (like I mentioned above; that they either don't feel the need/care or they forgot for four months).

The only immediate benefit they get from pushing the code is that people doing pull requests/contributions are given a more up-to-date code base to work from.

I'd argue that there's a secondary benefit in that I (and possibly others) would be a bit assured that the "main team" values a degree of transparency. But that's a secondary impact and it's clear a lot of people simply don't care as long as they can still download the binary blob.

Last edited:

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
That's a good question that I've been wanting an answer for for well over a year. But they aren't forthcoming (radio silence). I can't give you an actual answer because again they have not communicated anything meaningful about the issue in a long, long time, and I'm not part of any "inner circle." I can only draw my own (largely negative/pessimistic) conclusions (like I mentioned above; that they either don't feel the need/care or they forgot for four months).
Fen did ask Gedan for the update

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
Fen did ask Gedan for the update
Interesting; when did that happen?
And surely fen is capable of running a git command as well?
I don't know how they have things arranged between them, but it still sounds strange. I have no real context to go by, though.

Last edited:

LoriJ

Jan 10, 2020
And surely fen is capable of running a git command as well?
I don't know how they have things arranged between them, but it still sounds strange. I have no real context to go by, though.

I've watched a stream of Fen once and he seemed to be using a GUI, and looking at merges from commits from public forks it seems Geddy does all that (manually?).
Though I base this on very limited info.

why hasn't it been done. (there is most likely something that isn't known)

This is a question that has been on my mind so many times, it should indeed be (almost) as easy as dragontamer said..
I'd hope we got an explanation for that sometime

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
Just doing my monthly check-in. Still no source drops in the last five months.

I mean, I know we don't own the code and we shouldn't feel "entitled" to it, but I'd almost rather be told straight up "we're not gonna share it anymore" than get the silent treatment. Then I'd be able to stop thinking about it (after the initial irritation, anyway).

I'm allergic to discord (IRC master race, and also my computer's a potato), but next time it comes up (since apparently fen as asked gedan to fix this before), feel free to share any of the commands I demoed if you think they'll be helpful.
I don't know if those win32 git GUI's even provide the CLI tool anyways, so it might not help much if the gui is all that fen has used.

Last edited:

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
Just doing my monthly check-in. Still no source drops in the last five months.

I mean, I know we don't own the code and we shouldn't feel "entitled" to it, but I'd almost rather be told straight up "we're not gonna share it anymore" than get the silent treatment. Then I'd be able to stop thinking about it (after the initial irritation, anyway).

I'm allergic to discord (IRC master race, and also my computer's a potato), but next time it comes up (since apparently fen as asked gedan to fix this before), feel free to share any of the commands I demoed if you think they'll be helpful.
I don't know if those win32 git GUI's even provide the CLI tool anyways, so it might not help much if the gui is all that fen has used.
I think it has to do with the fact they are porting to javascript

Reactions: Athena

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
I think it has to do with the fact they are porting to javascript
No; porting to javascript doesn't suddenly mean "git push" no longer works for half of a year while game updates continue to be shared in binary form. They're still using a private git repo to collaborate; all they have to do is push a commit sideways to the public-facing remote sometimes.

Again, that's:
Code:

It's now been six months since the last source drop. This is my first time checking since my last post (7 weeks later).

Sorry if I'm getting a bit salty, but the incommunicado really irks me more than anything else.

Last edited:

Cerneu

Aug 19, 2019
It's not going to get updated again until the JavaScript port is done. So probably next year.

Just popping in to ask if we're getting close to an update to the public source code.

If not, then could we at least have a look at what are the probabilities of effect from Lion-Os and Lion-Pros? The wiki pages on them are empty for too long now.

Reactions: Paradox01

dragontamer8740

Nov 9, 2015
OK, it's now been two years and a week since the last public push. And two years since I posted last.
But I'm just popping by to ask if there's a new ETA, or if it's since been revised to "never."

I remember years ago when source code was pulled down the first time, someone (meaning either Gedan or Fenoxo I think) said on IRC (or was it discord by that point?) that people could get code access by contributing. But I don't want to write stories, I want to write stories and code since it's just much more efficient that way. And it allows for deeper understanding of how things interact with each other. Decompiling is such a pain, and decompiled code is all consolidated into one huge class so it isn't feasible to submit code made from a decompilation for inclusion.

ElAcechador

May 7, 2016
It's not going to get updated again until the JavaScript port is done. So probably next year.
It's been several months now since the JS port has reached general availability and replaced the old Flash version. Any news regarding the source code being made public again? I find it to be an extremely useful tool for ensuring that the wiki is accurate, and with the last public build being over 2 years old, it's getting harder and harder to ensure that everything is up to date.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Since I actively used it and it's been discontinued in the builds available off the site, does anyone have a zipped version that still has the source built in? I played in browser so I never got a copy locally.

VariableVixen

Sep 2, 2022
My problem is that I can't get all of the source files in firefox's console anymore. I got what might have been the full list once, but now I just get this:
2022-09-02 11.54.34.547.png
I can't look at, for instance, the base entity class anymore. In fact, I've been reduced to downloading the 38MB "main.f124043a.js" file, running it through prettier to get 658,000+ lines, and searching through it manually. As I'm sure you can imagine, this isn't a very efficient approach, not the least because webpack's output is objectively bad. On the other hand... well, it works, I can say that much.

I do see that you're apparently on a backer release, which I'm not - haven't got the money right now - in case that makes a difference. Can you confirm whether the backer builds have the full, original source available?

OrangeBurner

Mar 13, 2022
I believe the problem is that the source maps are currently broken.

Everytime I boot up the debugger I get this source map error:
Code:
Source map error: Error: request failed with status 404
Resource URL: https://www.fenoxo.com/play/TiTS/release/main.f124043a.js
Source Map URL: main.f124043a.js.map

VariableVixen

Sep 2, 2022
I get the same. What's curious is that it worked fine once, then I reloaded the tab and it wasn't working anymore. I suppose the sourcemaps could have been removed in that time, or there could have been an update that doesn't have the new sourcemaps.

golabki

Dec 13, 2015
With how adverse the team has become towards open sourcing I'm now confidently sure that any chances of the public source code ever being updated will remain very dim