Observation post of the Observer.

ShifterDreams

Sep 18, 2015
I have a question about the kitsune tf do we pick the amount of tails or is it a set number?
(and I hope we can be kitsune sometime this year I'm really looking forward to it)
Though I wish we could dye your hair/fur instead of it being set colors

Jstar

Feb 20, 2020
do we pick the amount of tails or is it a set number?
I presume it is level based or something similar to CoC 1 where as you need a Fox Jewel for a certain ritual to gain your 9th. Although I could be completely wrong in my assumption

Last edited:

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I’m not sure if you got the notif in the other topic so I’m going tompost here just in case.

You said feeding the sparrows in that formative event is actually the Hime option while obeying her mother is the Inari version. But both the wiki and the child Kinu event doc have it the other way around, and my in-game score was definitely working that way at the time. Is this a bit of oversight?

I had been thinking for a while based on how Adult Hime and Inari turned out that feeding seems more a Hime thing than Inari, but I reasoned it away as Hime feeling like she HAS to obey mother or something.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
I’m not sure if you got the notif in the other topic so I’m going tompost here just in case.

You said feeding the sparrows in that formative event is actually the Hime option while obeying her mother is the Inari version. But both the wiki and the child Kinu event doc have it the other way around, and my in-game score was definitely working that way at the time. Is this a bit of oversight?

I had been thinking for a while based on how Adult Hime and Inari turned out that feeding seems more a Hime thing than Inari, but I reasoned it away as Hime feeling like she HAS to obey mother or something.

Oh, I just confused that one with a similar situation I was writing somewhere else.

My bad.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Writer elicits intended response:
vkvVUM9.png

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Got a lore question about the kitsune and their interactions with the rest of the world. I assume from what we've seen (and the Old Country codex entry that says they maintain a low population even in their homeland) that the way they're viewed in the Frost Marches is pretty typical of how they'd be seen in what used to be the major population centers of Belhar or anywhere else that's maintained a modicum of prosperity, is that correct? I'm using the downtime between big updates to start another Champion run and for mental RP purposes I'm trying to figure out whether the family of someone with a Noble Scion background would be impressed with their child for marrying near-divinity, or horrified.

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
...marrying near-divinity...

I thought our "special pedigree" isnt revealed to anyone aside from God-Like figures ingame. IFAIK, the only one who knows 100% for certain what's going on with our soul is Keros, and he certainly is too much of a troll to share that with ANYONE. Hell, Kas just has a hunch and a feeling that she acted on when we met at the start.

So, methinks they just shrug that their Royalty married some barbarian for whatever reason, and name himself the japanese equivalent of "Prince by Courtesy"

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
So, methinks they just shrug that their Royalty married some barbarian for whatever reason, and name himself the japanese equivalent of "Prince by Courtesy"
Uhhh, other way around, I was trying to figure how the Champion's family would react to the idea of their scion marrying a (very) noble kitsune, given what seems to be the prevailing cultural attitude towards them. :p

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I thought our "special pedigree" isnt revealed to anyone aside from God-Like figures ingame. IFAIK, the only one who knows 100% for certain what's going on with our soul is Keros, and he certainly is too much of a troll to share that with ANYONE. Hell, Kas just has a hunch and a feeling that she acted on when we met at the start.

Keros actually assures us that not only would no one believe us, but we might actually have some.....zealots out for our blood for daring to even suggest their gods are Wraiths. So yeah, we the Champ (if we bested Nareva) are the only ones who know and will most likely take that secret with us to the grave, come what may.

It does make me wonder how some of them like Keros came to own the souls of their specific race of followers. Is it from simply inhabiting the niche of the god whose identity they took up or if the simple devoted reverence of that race lead to them automatically owning the soul? Actually, what even made those races so special their souls belong to the god in question?

Sorra and Mallach clearly don’t own the souls of harpies and catfolk, respectively. Keros, Velun, and Lumia of course own their respective favored races. Nareva.....doubt she owns anyone that we know of, but definitely not salamanders since we don’t have to trade our souls for that.

However, it DOES make the afterlife an interesting idea. Do the deceased inhabit their patron’s Dream like Anders and Phyria? Or do they simply cross to wherever they’re supposed to go? Obviously Anders and Phyria are special cases, but I can’t help wondering if the special deities do anything with the souls they own after they pass on? Clearly they are cut off from the mortal plane regardless or Keros wouldn’t have specifically cursed Komari into being a yasha so she can see Kiyoko again (though if course that is partly a punishment).

Barakiel

Oct 6, 2019
Uhhh, other way around, I was trying to figure how the Champion's family would react to the idea of their scion marrying a (very) noble kitsune, given what seems to be the prevailing cultural attitude towards them. :p

Hey man I believe they might even want the champion to become their heir, remembering that the champion's family dates back to the godswar... I think the family would be very happy, maybe even thinking about possibilities of winning something with this marriage...

Shura

Apr 15, 2018

I personally imagine my Champ’s family being o_O period at everything she decided to do since leaving home, like turning into a full on cowgirl futa with wings (eventually a cow-like demon-morph when that tf finally drops), so marrying a fox-person whose people have a reputation as soul-vampires is just part of the package. I imagine my Champ’s parents love and respect her regardless since that’s the impression I get from when their background comes up. Youngest child whose parents still gave them all their love and support, basically.

Soldier660

Feb 9, 2018
Brazil
I personally imagine my Champ’s family being o_O period at everything she decided to do since leaving home, like turning into a full on cowgirl futa with wings (eventually a cow-like demon-morph when that tf finally drops), so marrying a fox-person whose people have a reputation as soul-vampires is just part of the package. I imagine my Champ’s parents love and respect her regardless since that’s the impression I get from when their background comes up. Youngest child whose parents still gave them all their love and support, basically.
Well maybe you champion did something horrible in the past and have to get far away from home, because his family dont love him anymore or to protect them, We never know. What is cannon anyway, maybe you have few cousins,sister, and even a brother.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Well maybe you champion did something horrible in the past and have to get far away from home, because his family dont love him anymore or to protect them, We never know. What is cannon anyway, maybe you have few cousins,sister, and even a brother.
Does the Champion need to have something to have happened to them? The disgraced noble has become something of a trope, perhaps even a cliche.

One of the most important bits of the background is in the small, descriptive blurb - The noble scion, youngest member of the family. Straight away that tells you something. They have older siblings, at least 2, but more than likely more. Their family has the heir and the spare. After that, its trying to find places to put the other kids, usually roles in the clergy or the military. Generally speaking, the youngest is left with nothing but their own path in life. So the noble scion gets to leave the structured lives and cloistered lives of nobility behind and has the chance to make their own life.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
I imagine my Champ’s parents love and respect her regardless since that’s the impression I get from when their background comes up. Youngest child whose parents still gave them all their love and support, basically.
Like Malidica I don't recall the Champion's family coming up much in dialogue but it's possible I've just missed it since I sometimes skim over scenes I've seen before on other runs and might miss subtle changes. The one I'm playing with that background, I'm imagining a slightly different spin where the family was loving and supportive of my Champion but effectively disowned her when she refused an arranged marriage and told her not to come back until she could prove that she could do better for herself and the family after they managed to find a marriage for their youngest child. Hence, wondering how they'd react to their wayward daughter coming home for a visit with a near-divine kitsune wife and an adorable floof daughter in tow. Oh, and a penis (gotta have one to marry Kiyoko after all) but in Savarra I doubt anyone would bat an eye at that. Would their reaction be 'Oh... you actually did find a better marriage than anything we could have done, sorry we doubted you, welcome home!' or 'Ack, soul-vampire, get the garlic and holy water!'?

Soldier660

Feb 9, 2018
Brazil
Mine was raised as a noble's pet, with no real knowledge of her family. The noble's wife-to-be decided she didn't care for her fiance fucking the cat, and demanded he abandon her in the forest.

From there, the adventure begins.
I hope someone find and takes good care of that cat, gives lot of pets and treat well.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Where does it come up? I don't recall reading about my champ talking about their folks though these days, after so many playthroughs, i just skip through 90% of the scenes so it's not hard for me to miss it.

I think it was one of the events with Kinu. Most of the time that’s where the Champ’s background comes into play. I think it came up during the option to help Kinu with her homework (which is only accessible to Noble Scions and Arcanists). Something about how your parents spared no expense making sure you had a proper education and hiring the best tutors for you etc.

Bulk of background things shows up in Kinu interactions period, really. Anywhere else doesn’t touch on it much, if ever.

I forgot what exactly some scenes said and which ones, but I just have the impression Noble Scion parents are supportive if they let their kid learn to do Black Magic and shit, lol.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
This isn't true. There are about 250 uses of some version of "[pc.bg ]" and while Kinu has a fair few, there's a huge number outside of her content.

I meant in terms of elaboration. Of course there’s plenty if mention outside. I just see most of the descriptive stuff with Kinu. Of course I could have just missed some content because of choices I didn’t make.

HalfALifeLol

Feb 12, 2018
Forget the family.

My Champion has about 30-something kids and I have no idea how many from Kiyoko (and this is while just playing 100% Male). The war for inheritance is going to be pretty damned violent by the end of it.

Btw, is there anyway to figure out ingame how many Kiyoko children you have? I lost track somewhere in the fifties and am mildly perplexed that I have no idea how many kids my character has:confused:

QualityCuntrol

Nov 12, 2019
Forget the family.

My Champion has about 30-something kids and I have no idea how many from Kiyoko (and this is while just playing 100% Male). The war for inheritance is going to be pretty damned violent by the end of it.

Btw, is there anyway to figure out ingame how many Kiyoko children you have? I lost track somewhere in the fifties and am mildly perplexed that I have no idea how many kids my character has:confused:

Only 30-something? Geez, you've been slacking :p

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure your Kiyo-kits aren't going to be interested in stuff outside the den, so that's safe, at least! No in-game way to check how many kits, unfortunately, and no word on when/if that'll happen. It's apparently easy enough to check using the save editor, but I am so completely computer-illiterate that I don't even want to try. Tried to save edit my TiTS once, and uh. gave up