Myrellion Content Discussion (GENERAL)

Discussion in 'Planetary Discussion' started by Savin, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Drash

Drash Well-Known Member

Might be worth commissioning something to get the path started along those lines. Could start off with a conversation with the Red doctor since she seems against trench wives.

2. Aernin

Aernin Member

That would be good, up to Savin and Fen, of course. They apparently have chosen sides in the war themselves. Realistically, neither society, as they are now, would survive in the long term on a scale any larger than it already is. Once they are out among the stars the entire war becomes moot and neither government would have the power to conscript or continue to force a conflict.

My guess is its an issue to have a resolution to the conflict as it would need tons of work with so many NPCs and encounters. Its an understandably huge undertaking, especially if its a decision based one. For most other storylines it comes down a single person or fight, this is somewhat unique in its scope. It would have to be a lengthy and focused effort.

For now I mostly race through the dialogue to get the probe and only stop back in for certain NPCs. I dont think ive done the war storyline in a few playthroughs now

3. TiTSFan

TiTSFan Well-Known Member

The answer to the Myr civil war problem simple. Steele just needs to acquire a massive amount of the Orange Myr TF and dump it in the water supply.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

There are a lot of ways for that to go wrong.

How much does the general population know about TFs? I'd expect a great deal of widespread panic.

Both sides are likely to blame the other. Remember, the populations are not mixed. They live in different cities. Sure, there might be former Reds killed by their own side, and Golds likewise, but it's entirely possible for the same ethnicity to wage war upon itself. The differences between the Reds and Golds are not just physical, they're very different culturally and that won't just disappear overnight because they have the same appearance. Even if only one side decides the other is responsible, you've got a problem. If anything, it would be worse. "They look just like us now!", "Anyone could be a Red/Gold spy!", "We should attack before they can infiltrate us!".

If neither side blames the other, the other obvious culprit the UGC. First, they show up with a giant fleet and an extinction-level threat the Myr can't do anything about (saving the Golds, effectively taking sides), then they dump a body-warping substance in the water without asking anybody. At the very least, it doesn't paint a good picture of how the UGC views client states and/or bodily autonomy. Will Steele own up to their actions or let the UGC take the blame?

Both sides have fertility issues. What happens if a nascent Gold Queen takes the Orange Myr TF? Fertile Red? What if an infertile Gold takes it? Or infertile Red?

What happens to non-Myr who drink it? The Bothrioc/Wetraxxel/Ganrael/random wildlife? UGC citizens?

I know TiTS is a Megacorp Dystopia, but applying involuntary TFs on a planetary scale is probably a major crime, especially on a planet that is likely going to become a part of the UGC. While not quite the same, Dr. Lash is hiding from the UGC for attempting to sterilize the dominant life-form of a planet. Steele Tech is rich, but Steele would likely need some major plausible deniability and/or very good lawyers, especially if it re-ignites the war and the fleet is forced to follow through on their threat. We know they will from one outcome of Kara's 2nd quest.

#1564 Theron, Oct 16, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    Kesil and Tide Hunter like this.
  5. TiTSFan

TiTSFan Well-Known Member

It would shake up their lives on a massive scale causing chaos and confusion. Then when that turns to anger, point them at a common enemy (real or imagined) and marvel as they figure out how to work together for a change. They would still hate each other, but they'd hate the responsible party even more. As for the non-Myr, aside from a few named characters in the Myr controlled cities, it wouldn't change much. I'm not talking about dosing the whole world, just the two stronghold cities.

My idea was made in jest, but with enough planning and resources, it could be a viable option/solution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Aernin

Aernin Member

Agreed, forcing changes is not likely the way to go, and doesnt really fit the adventurous daring-dos that Steele's story mostly revolves around. More likely is an event or discovery that both breaks the stalemate and at least leaves the option for a peaceful resolution.

I was thinking that expanding upon the Black Void threat hidden on the planet might be viable. A strong, directly sinister, third foe in the conflict could leave both sides a means of ending conflict by directing attention to the dark side of what meeting the off-worlders entails. Stage a Red Myr coup, kidnap a Gold Myr Queen, any number of options once you introduce them back, I suppose.

The biggest fault I personally see with all the Myr is their clinging to this war while a galaxy awaits them and both sides posturing, waiting for the other side to give them a reason to react. The Black Void would make a good scape goat for both sides to react and feel they came out "winning"

7. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

So, you just made the Gold populations of the two biggest Gold cities non-Gold, and barely touched the Reds at all. That's not really going to help. Or do you mean the (unnamed?) Red capitol? And the most likely 'common enemy' is the UGC, which has overwhelmingly superior technology and absolute control of space and air.

Do we have any evidence Red High Command is in Kressia?

Maybe, but you need to do it in such a way that it doesn't cause the UGC Fleet to think the Myr violated their ultimatum and glass the planet. And you're at risk of transferring their xenophobia to 'aliens' in general. While warranted, I don't see that going well, given their current technological development relative to the rest of the galaxy.

#1567 Theron, Oct 16, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    Tide Hunter likes this.
  8. TheShepard256

TheShepard256 Well-Known Member

Actually, it's the opposite; if you're still on your ship when the nuke goes off, you'll see the Damocles Fleet retreating while the myr nuke the surface of Myrellion. Though the outcome is still the same; one nuked Myrellion.

9. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. I'd never actually taken that ending and was working off of a vague recollection of the Wiki. That's what I get for not fact-checking.

In that case, you'd need to find an appropriate scapegoat that can be defeated at the Myr's level of technology (I don't think being 'saved' by the UGC would prove your point), won't drive off the UGC fleet (leaving them at the mercy of Pirate gangs) and hopefully both sides won't find their cooperation in 'destroying the abominations'.

10. Aernin

Aernin Member

If anything I would think that makes it better, the story richer for it. Both races are being to introduced to the galaxy as we meet them, meeting with pirates, slavers, and generally more threats are going to be inevitable, much like the Zil Tribes. There is simply no more hiding or trying to keep to themselves, especially with their level of technology. But I also agree that neither side should suddenly direct war efforts at the Black Void, thats simply too large of a scale to narratively deal with. However its also a great chance for the Red and Gold ambassadors to take a more active role. Both want peace and understand the galaxy is too large for their war to hold meaning but lacked the power to change their leaders' minds, so a covert mission of great importance using their combined efforts fits very snuggly into the typical action movie type escapades Steele gets up to.

As for how it affects the war itself I dont think we fully need to experience that, just hear a solid statement that it will happen due to our efforts and maybe someone of UGC authority planning to come in and finalize a peace at a later date. Things like the changes to Red and Gold social structures can mostly be glossed over, maybe the ambassadors talking about how everything will change from here on.

11. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

One thing they could potentially do is destroy the Warp Gate(s).
    Maybe, but you'll note both Ambassadors have a significant degree of dislike for the other side. They may want peace (or get the UGC on their side), but they really don't like each other. If you really wanted to make it convincing (i.e. a personal story standing in for two societies), I think you'd have to get the Ambassadors working together directly and building some degree of mutual respect. The issue is: What problem could the Red and Gold Myr combined forces do that the UGC forces could not?

I think you'd need to deal with the reproductive issues for significant social changes. The Gold Queens especially. Either they have power because they are everyone's mother, or they are everyone's mother but have no official social power (which is where the males are, actually*). Either way, they're producing all the young. How do you incentivize producing so many offspring instead of stopping after the first hundred/thousand or so?

*Males are protected, but paternity doesn't really seem to be a thing in Gold Myr society. Do we know if all males are fertile?

12. Aernin

Aernin Member

Thats a long shot considering their WW1 level technology. They would have to hijack some spacefaring and very powerful technology to get that done and I doubt the UGC would look kindly on that, let alone any amount of Myr having the understanding of the technology to get it done.

And thats fine, I dont think anyone is suddenly wanting Red and Golds to be friends, not even the ambassadors. But they can work together and both hate the war more than each other, just from different angles.

I dont think, as part of resolving the war this part HAS to be addressed, maybe mentioned. But I would love it as an additional after the fact, a reason to circle back. The Kui-tai representative is on the planet for this very reason anyway, he wants to open the planet up for interbreeding with his people. Off the top of my head their closet shenanigans could finally bear fruit and the Gold rep becomes pregnant, leading to change.

As for after quests I think either convincing the queens or convincing the people could have interesting narratives, a popular suggestion is letting the queens continue to do their thing but no longer be exclusive to breeding or have as much power. But one thing before the other, the war has to end before the societies can even begin to think about changing, all that will happen regardless once they start leaving the planet to explore the UGC but the game simply doesnt have the time to map out multiple societies being changed on the fundamental and nuanced level. Acknowledging the beginning of change is honestly enough without adding a novel on alien social commentary.

#1572 Aernin, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:39 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 4:11 PM
  13. Tide Hunter

Tide Hunter Well-Known Member

The thing about all of these solutions is that the seem to assume that it's possible to unite them and "fix" their societies and the like. I don't really think that it is truly possible to get some peace between the two. Or at least, the player could not have the level of influence needed to do such a thing. Even if you were to attempt to set up a common enemy, the Myr would likely go straight to fighting each other once the threat has been dealt with, if they even would stop during that time. And with the UGC there, if there was such a major threat that the Myr would need to unite to face it, the UGC would very likely have dealt with it themselves.

14. Aernin

Aernin Member

Well thats just it, both sides seem to understand drastic change is coming, regardless of outcome with their war. But both sides are also prideful enough to not back down. They only have to look up to see an alien armada pointing world ending weapons at them and saying "Peace, or else" yet still choose to posture at their old enemy. I dont expect them to lay down their arms, hand out Pepsi to each other and start singing kumbaya as best friends. I do expect that they would accept an out that leaves their pride intact. Again, once the two Myr races integrate into galactic society their reasons for war basically become moot, but thats not exactly something we, as the player, have to witness, only acknowledge its a likely future outcome.

As for UGC involvement, they are honestly more passive than we give them credit for. They setup base and waited. The Myr are not a UGC race yet, they have only been offered to be one. There are no aid teams helping civvies on the surface, no formal UGC presence aside the Kui-tan rep who is actively pushing for anything, no proposal for much of anything. Its the megacorps that are doing anything worthwhile so far and they wouldnt dirty their hands trying to help, they got their samples and their profits. We also have already faced the Black Void on Myrellion, one which Steele got no UGC help with, the operation was funded by a crime lord.

15. Theron

Theron Well-Known Member

If Kara is to be believed, the UGC didn't know about the Black Void. Unlike the bomb at the Stellar Tether, the UGC wouldn't know about the base Self Destruct. Unless that's standard for Black Void bases. Which it might be. Steele doesn't actually accomplish much on that mission. Amara's pride was hurt and Kara gets something from Dr. Khan's computer but the base is still there and their operations are still ongoing. You really should report their presence to the UGC.

The Gold Myr Dr. Khan is 'working' with assure you they can find a way out. Maybe that thread can be followed up on. Side note: 'Bastard' is an interesting insult in a society where no-one knows (or cares) who their father is.

What could the Myr do about the Black Void? If the Black Void are getting WMDs from the locals, what are the Black Void supplying in return? The Myr say they were promised technology, but it sounds like the Void didn't hold up their end of the deal. Or they did, but to someone other than the Myr they enslaved. If there is a trade going on, that faction won't want to attack their offworld partners. Is either faction sufficiently beholden to their populace to be forced to no longer deal with pirates if it's unpopular enough? As an aside, you'd think material for nukes would be easy to come by.

Smuggling is apparently discouraged by the UGC presence, although the Black Void seems confident they can avoid detection.

Clearly there's been some aid.

#1575 Theron, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 5:54 AM