Fair warning about Shade? (Spoilers ahoy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
No uproar, Vantage jumped the gun w/ predicting (so far nonexistant) people upset with unknown incest.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
This didn't cause an uproar, I'm just trying to prevent players from being upset with it.

As I've said earlier, the incest isn't the problem (Hell it hits the taboo fetish thing that I'm into). It's the fact that someone can have their PC engage in it unknowingly that makes me a bit critical of the scene. Others engaging in incest shouldn't be a huge deal because the PC isn't engaging in it themselves in those cases.

No uproar, Vantage jumped the gun w/ predicting (so far nonexistant) people upset with unknown incest.

Just because they don't post doesn't mean they're nonexistant. 

Making the game as open as possible about the type of content you're getting has been a thing since COC, in order to avoid people getting turned off by unavoidable fetishes they aren't into without warning. For example, these types of games generally have a "Are you sure you want this horse cock up your ass?" prompt so that people aren't butthurt later about it.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
This didn't cause an uproar, I'm just trying to prevent players from being upset with it.

Good point. :p Uproar was an overstatement. 

As I've said earlier, the incest isn't the problem (Hell it hits the taboo fetish thing that I'm into). It's the fact that someone can have their PC engage in it unknowingly that makes me a bit critical of the scene. Others engaging in incest shouldn't be a huge deal because the PC isn't engaging in it themselves in those cases.

Gotcha. Bit of a finicky situation if you ask me. That's what makes the plot good, though, like any book, it has twists and turns that were unexpected and keep you on your feet, even if they're unwelcome ones, like a character dying. 

Last edited by a moderator:

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Good point. :p Uproar was an overstatement. 

Gotcha. Bit of a finicky situation if you ask me. That's what makes the plot good, though, like any book, it has twists and turns that were unexpected and keep you on your feet.

But in this case, there isn't much reason for the plot point to happen so that you may access unwanted content to get to it. As I've said earlier, Shade being your big sister could've been something that was revealed without her being sexable, but indeed being able to flirt with her. 

I'm less trying to rally for a change and more trying to raise awareness for this type of thing, so that potentially unwanted content isn't literally a huge plot point.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
But in this case, there isn't much reason for the plot point to happen so that you may access unwanted content to get to it. As I've said earlier, Shade being your big sister could've been something that was revealed without her being sexable, but indeed being about to flirt with her. 

So you're saying it could've still been a surprise that she was your sister, just without the sex/flirting, am I correct?

I'm less trying to rally for a change and more trying to raise awareness for this type of thing, so that potentially unwanted content isn't literally a huge plot point.

Gotcha again. Sounds like I misread. 

Maybe one of the smutlords will look at this thread, then. There might be some sort of content rule made to prevent it. Speaking of rules, I couldn't find the content rules post anywhere.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
So you're saying it could've still been a surprise that she was your sister, just without the sex/flirting, am I correct?

Yes, I made that clear in the edit. The flirting would've be fine, as it's a way to have Kara escape, Just the very likely sex after the flirting should've been held off until after it was made abundantly clear that the PC and Shade are related. Like with Kelt from COC, you have to want the content to access it.

What's done is done, I'm just trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening again in the future.

Gotcha again. Sounds like I misread. 

Maybe one of the smutlords will look at this thread, then. There might be some sort of content rule made to prevent it. Speaking of rules, I couldn't find the content rules post anywhere.

Well this board has been purged recently, so a lot of info has been removed.

To my memory, Vampire Girls (Unless expertly written), Guro, Watersports, Scat, Vore, Loli/Shota, and Torture are strictly forbidden.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Fen mentioned that he personally won't write Incest, but he doesn't mind it in the game.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Maybe this would be a good opportunity to come up with new rules. 
Perhaps we could have primary rules on content like 

To my memory, Vampire Girls (Unless expertly written), Guro, Watersports, Scat, Vore, Loli/Shota, and Torture are strictly forbidden.

but then we can have secondary rules on content to preserve the quality of the game's story content, and to prevent uproars when the things you're predicting happen. 

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Maybe this would be a good opportunity to come up with new rules. 
It's 3 AM where I am at the time of posting, so take this with a grain of salt, but perhaps we could have primary rules on content like 

but then we can have secondary rules on content to preserve the quality of the game's story content, and to prevent uproars when the things you're predicting happen. 

That's what I'm hoping for.

I don't want, for example, you making a choice to give Jill/Jack something like Red Myr poison to punish them, only for Jill to knock down the PC and start bouncing on their cock, or Jack to start fucking your ass. 

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Any ideas on what those rules might be? I haven't a clue as to how to word them. 

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Any ideas on what those rules might be? I haven't a clue as to how to word them. 

I think "being upfront with what the PC will be getting in sex scenes" would suffice. The element of choice can still be present in terms of story, just as long as the sex isn't a factor in it. Like a cute little Kaithrit transforming into a tentacle beast and filling your PC full of tentacley goodness should not happen.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I'm as surprised as you are that I never saw the outrage, hence the interrobang ^___^;

21 pages of it, no less!

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Man, if people don't like incest, they're going to have srs problems with some of the Vanae endings

I recall Fen saying he has distinctively different levels of squick depending on the kind of incest, ranging from sister-on-sister at the 'hnng' end, to father-on-daughter on the 'ugh' end.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
I recall Fen saying he has distinctively different levels of squick depending on the kind of incest, ranging from sister-on-sister at the 'hnng' end, to father-on-daughter on the 'ugh' end.
That's CoC's "daddy daddy oh yes daddy" harpy and goblin daughters scenes explained, then.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
No one really wants incest. I mean just look at how unpopular Anno and Syri are. /s

In all seriousness though, in the future there's mag-I mean medic-I mean hand waving that solves all possible incest concerns.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
No one really wants incest. I mean just look at how unpopular Anno and Syri are. /s

I know incest is very popular. Every blog post it seems, someone is crying out for the ability to have sex with your cousin, your sister, your daughter, two sisters, or all of them in various combinations. I personally find three of those concepts slightly-to-extremely repugnant, and certainly would not like to walk into a situation where they happen blind. However I wouldn't expect to in a Fen game, and don't have a problem with others getting their unpleasant-but-harmless kicks.

Like Jim I'm ambivalent about the Shade thing. My first reaction to it was a "Someone's let Savin's dadboner and everything-related-to-everything fetish off the leash again" eyeroll. It being a Luke and Leia tribute has a charm to it though, made more interesting by her milf trappings, and that obviously would be ruined if you knew straight away she was related to you. Being able to have sex with her in ignorance is problematic but I'm not sure if it's worth the bother of reworking. Possibly you could find out about your relation to her somewhere else?

Edit:

In all seriousness though, in the future there's mag-I mean medic-I mean hand waving that solves all possible incest concerns.
And as Magic Ted keeps telling you, over and over, the real concerns are not medical.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015

Actually, it already exists. All real incest concerns are about children, and there are lots of ways to avoid having them.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Good thread going back to trail. Or I would start seeing things like: Treated Kiro/Treated Oxonef when? questions.

When Shade debut in game I think it wasn't even clear if Savin wil make her our PC half-sister or not. Now when all turn that she's indeed half-sister community splitiing in seemly two groups of those who are after or against this. Also incest...well Shade tail is actualy parasite that bond with her replacing her tails. And all other scenes are still bordeline but yup I could see some incest sensitive people alarm light lighten up.

Some said Anno/Syri are unpopular...yaeh think same Treating everyine if their want it or not is unpopular too I bet. /s

Ahh that reminds me one of Trashing Dragon rule: fuck with living beeings whatever their want or not to harvest Yang Chi (that are one of asian vampires and well fucking produce tons of chi their feed on so....their shameless hedonists just like something fitting for this forum theme)

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
 Fuck ya'll for having this whole conversation and the AI one while I'm playing Metal Gear. 

So after a bit of digging, I found out that Shade is most likely one of Victor's many bastard children. Which makes her the PC's half sister and her daughter Astra, the PC's Niece.

Problem with this is that the huge hint doesn't get dropped before you reach Shade's sex options, meaning unaware players can get blindsided with a dose of incest. This may also pose a problem for when the PC meets Astra on another planet.

-----

1) Shade knowing who her father is, asking who the PC is upon meeting them, and she telling them about their connection.

2) Making Shade's father some other unnamed rich billionaire playboy running around the galaxy impregnating everything with reproductive organs.

This thread is also a warning for whoever is going to be writing Astra's content for the next planet.

The whole point of her little arc on Myrellion is the big reveal, so no, it's not getting changed. Sexing Shade is completely optional even on the friend path, and I left enough hints in her actual talk scenes that anybody paying a modicum of attention could probably figure it out anyway. If you blindly stick your dick in things, that's your own fault. 

Seeing as Astra sounds more like a religious type (correct me if I'm wrong), she doesn't seem to be a sexable character--or at least not out-of-the-box, as it were. The Stormguard is a warrior cult, not a sex cult from what I gather.

Well, what I mean is that her story arc and background history as being Steele's half-sister is very much a part of her character building, so I'd like to clarify that that's not all she is in the game for. She is primarily encountered due to the ties with her profession and her job of catching Kara, so there's that. Her having to deal with the complications/trauma from having an incestuous relationship might also be a part of her interactive story at some point, so the incest isn't without consequence, at least on her end.
I honestly haven't decided if Astra's going to be sexable. Honestly it mostly depends on how burned out I am after the other 20 or so big projects I'm going to end up tackling for Uveto. That said, if you check out the public GDoc foor Uveto right now, apparently Stormguard are quite happy to do the classic CoC/TiTS "You fight, you fuck, you fight again," maneuver. 

Huh. I recall Savin mentioning he was going to go and change it from the Treatment to just a drug that made her lactate etc, or was going to go back and write it at some point. I don't dig Steph enough to check. New Melbourne totally kicks the ass off New Brisbane, pssh.

I don't think it was just the treatment; the whole 'I'm forced to have lots of sex on camera and I don't want to' on Myrellion came off as super rapey.

I did change it. Fen hasn't coded it in, and after several asks, still won't give me a good answer as it whether he will or won't. So I guess that's the end of Steph until he fucking tells me. 

Also the entire point of Steph is her getting molested on camera. If that's the point of contention, fuck right off and I'll put the Treatment back in.

That's true, but then being friendly with her without being her lover involves being locked out of Kara's content and helping Shade capture her to be used as a slave... or worse.

No it doesn't, ya boob. 

Yes, I made that clear in the edit. The flirting would've be fine, as it's a way to have Kara escape, Just the very likely sex after the flirting should've been held off until after it was made abundantly clear that the PC and Shade are related. Like with Kelt from COC, you have to want the content to access it.

That's like saying, "If you get raped by a minotaur in old-CoC, you had to WANT it." No, sometimes it gets thrust on you and you either roll with the punches or start save scumming. Everything with Kelt was consensual, and you knew what you're getting into. Sometimes when you hit that explore button, you run into a tentacle monster instead of a bee girl and then get raped into the ground. You don't always get a choice, and you don't always get fair warning. What's important is giving the player, and the PC, the option to respond to what happens in a way that suits them. 

Hence the problem with a certain badger dohoho

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I did change it. Fen hasn't coded it in, and after several asks, still won't give me a good answer as it whether he will or won't. So I guess that's the end of Steph until he fucking tells me. 
Steph has now entered... the Doc Badger Zone. Where a controversial project is neither dead nor alive, suspended in indefinite animation, because killing it or letting it live are both unpalatable options. It's also where Sera lives. 

EDIT: And Bess used to live, until Gedan liberated her from the space-time lock. But he ended up all Dalek Caan for that.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Nor alive nor dead...isn't that zone actually a Schrödinger's kitty nest?

Beanjam

Aug 28, 2015
This is a game with regular after combat rape. I would think that if we were going to bend over backwards to protect players' feelings from unwanted fetishes, that would have been where we'd have started.

deltadeath93

Aug 28, 2015
I am probably going to get a banned for this or at liest a warning probably but here goes anyway.

This is a fetish game  based around various  sexual fetishes. Not all fetishes are going to be to your liking. some may even gross you out. the shear fact your even playing this means you are over 18 and are a grown adult.

If you cannot handle reading about a fetish that doesn't appeal to you to the point of trying to start a movement over it. You probably aren't  ready to play a game of this type and should stop.

Now having said that it takes these poor soul's days and hours and weeks to write and edit and code this stuff. Not to mention the creativity that goes  into coming up with it in the first place. Forcing them to re write an entire npc to fit what a few like  or don't like is plain bs. especially after how long it took them to write it. Again if this bothers you that much don't play it or skip that npc move on let the rest of us enjoy the fruits of their labor.

as to the we should have an spoiler  warning before interacting with an npc about what fetish it contains I say this . No are you nuts. do you fast forward movies to the ending then watch it in reverse instead of the  correct way? 

I knew shade was my sister  since  probably 6 month's  into her appearing on the original wiki page because I can read and add 2+2=4 dad + galaxy full of bimbo's = siblings simple ya should have known it was coming eventually. and since the writer's are actual good writers odds are its not going to be  in an obvious way. it's a story  after all your just living it. let them write  things the way they want or write code  and edit your own version and before you say  you can't. I refer you to the coc forums and the I think it's called coc 2.0 or something mod. a version of coc someone else wrote edited  themselves. why because they didn't like some things  fen and co wrote. So they wrote their own version. I personally can't write for shit I don't have the vocabulary skills on punctuation I admit it. That part of school stopped in the 6th grade. so I help when  I can as I can. I'm a backer I post bugs In the forums when I find them and throw idea's at them for them to take and run with call their own. why? because I know my writing limits stop at idea's. They use it great I get a small  yea for myself they don't oh well life moves on.  Point is it's their  dream  their writings their work leave It alone. You don't go beating on Stephen kings door complaining about his books do you? 

Ok I'm done ranting now take from it what you will.

To  the writer's and artists and that poor poor bastard  that has to code it all I say great job keep up the good work.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I refer you to the coc forums and the I think it's called coc 2.0 or something mod. a version of coc someone else wrote edited  themselves. why because they didn't like some things  fen and co wrote. So they wrote their own version.

The mod is not about negating Fen & co's work. rather, it expands on it trying to stay close to canon (sort of). CoC 2 will be a different thing altogether if/when Savin feels like/can do it.

Also, I wish I could tell Stephen King a word or two about the last The Dark Tower books or how something about The Wind Through the Keyhole negates an important part of the saga's backstory.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
 Fuck ya'll for having this whole conversation and the AI one while I'm playing Metal Gear. 

The AI one may or may not be finished depending on if another good point can be brought up. :p  

I got shiet to do today but maybe some kind soul could quote some of Shade's content and demonstrate that you, as the player, were appropriately warned of possible incest down the road. It's what I would do, anyways. I don't have any saves near that point in the story, my Shade already ran off to Uveto :(  

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
I played the distract-Shade thing recently - which leads directly into fucking her - and it's not even broadly hinted at.

I also think it'd be a shame to meddle with much, because it's quite a good scene overall.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
As much as I hate not being in control (so to speak), the whole point of the big reveal was that it was a surprise.

Dr. Badger's scenes have very obvious tooltip warnings, which I feel are more than satisfactory. I still wish the turning the tables stuff was in though, just because it's good content. Sera is a whole 'nother can of worms, though.

@JimThermic: I have both older and younger sisters (and obviously cousins and a mother). I simply can't imagine them as anything sexual (the thought of which disgusts me), but I can still enjoy oneesan/imouto/MILF type characters. And Helspawn.

@Nonesuch: I wasn't trying to imply that inbreeding is the only concern (although it is a valid concern many people share). I guess I shouldn't have mentioned "medicine". What I meant was how it's funny that Helspawn would be happy to kiss you, and all your Vanae daughters are happy to have kids with you. Then again both of their races are pretty slooty. Oh well, in the future sexing everything you meet has minimal consequences.

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
I don't like incest any ether but hey, your father was a slut. surprise incest tend to be common place when your a slut to.

Being promiscuous has consequences, and nothing forced you on shade. now you know and that changes thing between you her and your father.

My point being; i think it adds a nice touch and a better understanding of character relation in a universe of smutty relations.

add note

How many goblin did you bang in COC? How possible is it one of them was your child?

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015

The whole point of her little arc on Myrellion is the big reveal, so no, it's not getting changed. Sexing Shade is completely optional even on the friend path, and I left enough hints in her actual talk scenes that anybody paying a modicum of attention could probably figure it out anyway. If you blindly stick your dick in things, that's your own fault. 

I honestly haven't decided if Astra's going to be sexable. Honestly it mostly depends on how burned out I am after the other 20 or so big projects I'm going to end up tackling for Uveto. That said, if you check out the public GDoc foor Uveto right now, apparently Stormguard are quite happy to do the classic CoC/TiTS "You fight, you fuck, you fight again," maneuver. 

Also the entire point of Steph is her getting molested on camera. If that's the point of contention, fuck right off and I'll put the Treatment back in.

No it doesn't, ya boob. 

That's like saying, "If you get raped by a minotaur in old-CoC, you had to WANT it." No, sometimes it gets thrust on you and you either roll with the punches or start save scumming. Everything with Kelt was consensual, and you knew what you're getting into. Sometimes when you hit that explore button, you run into a tentacle monster instead of a bee girl and then get raped into the ground. You don't always get a choice, and you don't always get fair warning. What's important is giving the player, and the PC, the option to respond to what happens in a way that suits them. 

Hidden Content

You sort of have to Metagame it to avoid having sex with her, and it's kind of redundant to have the "flirt" option be the one that allows you to not turn Kara into the same space pirates that nearly killed Saendra.

The thing about players encountering unwanted content through rape is that the game is easy enough that you have to be trying to lose to actually lose. Once you figure out the bottom part of Mhen'Ga has the Naleen, there isn't really any chance you're getting raped in this game. I mean, Doctor Lash even being possible to beat at this time and being twice the level of the players kind of ties into this. The Player Character's growths (Fire Emblem terms) are high as hell. They grow really fucking strong really quick.

And the game's are very upfront about that too. Losing to the tentacle beast in a sex game obviously entails the PC getting railed by a few tentacle cocks, for example. And it's easy to skip over that kind of content because you know what it is and that it doesn't appeal to you. This isn't possible with Shade because you don't find out the whole story until way after the fact.

With Shade, it's not really the same thing. Upon meeting her you have the trip and fall option, which does piss all to let Kara escape and you have to choose to help Kara, which locks you out of Shade's content, help Shade, which doesn't really sit right with people morally when the people that hired Shade are obviously really fucking evil and locks you out of the next pat of Karaquest.

And then we have the "Flirt" option, which allows you to back off afterwards, but as I've mentioned before, is really intuitive. Hell the text with "flirt" says and I quote: "You might get laid and paid!"

The other two options either has you betray Kara, or reset the situation to neutral. If you don't choose either, you're locked out of both of their content.

The hints don't stop dropping until you start chatting with Shade, and it honestly isn't really obvious with her chat dialogue. All you get from her regarding her dad in her chat dialogue is: "some rich playboy that seduced my mother." That's not blatantly obvious, that's barely alluded to. Remove "rich" or "playboy" and it would be almost impossible to guess who her father is.

And when you tell Shade she's your sister, the scene still plays out as if you didn't have sex with her to my knowledge, in that she just leaves without a word. I don't want to assume anything, but that scene seems like it was written with the PC having sex with Shade at some point in mind.

I'm less rallying for change to this dialogue now and more just trying to prevent this from becoming the norm. These games in general are usually straight forward in terms of what you're getting. That scene could've been written without being able to sex Shade until after you knew. And if you want to play the whole "consequence by choice" them, then at least make the line between sexual and not sexual more obvious than putting both options to not get locked into content behind the "flirt" button, because the "trip and fall" option certainly doesn't do shit.

Regarding Steph, I wouldn't expect Fen to remove that content. Usually when there's a huge outcry about content in the games, it merely gets abandoned instead of altered. The conclusion regarding Doctor Badger was that her meeting scene would be altered, but that never really happened. It kind of makes me sad, because I was really interested in seeing how Steph would be doing after the scene played out. If you really want to, you can just stop asking to remove it, take your lumps in regards to people not liking the scene, and continue her story arc. Because it being abandoned would be far worse than it just being controversial. 

I don't like incest any ether but hey, your father was a slut. surprise incest tend to be common place when your a slut to.

Being promiscuous has consequences, and nothing forced you on shade. now you know and that changes thing between you her and your father.

My point being; i think it adds a nice touch and a better understanding of character relation in a universe of smutty relations.

add note

How many goblin did you bang in COC? How possible is it one of them was your child?

"Fuck people for letting their PC's have sex in a sex game" am I right?

The whole point of these games is to be promiscuous, the combat is merely a means to an end regarding that. You can play the entire game as a virgin, but there's no real point into doing that and kind of defies the point of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.