Fair warning about Shade? (Spoilers ahoy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Especially a warrior cult because there's only so much exercise you can do in a day before it's counterproductive.

Less exercise and more training muscle memory. Exercise is good and necessary, but what's more important is knowing how to handle a weapon and yourself in combat. If you don't exhaust yourself the longer you go at it the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
what to say in a situation like this... other than “Hey, sis, nice to meet you!”

For me, situation was never an issue, but Shade's reaction was. As well as character's own reaction, BTW. If I'm ok with what happened, and my character is freaked out, it is sorta immersion breaking.

That's true, but I'm fairly certain there will be a follow up on that that will allow those who wish to pursue that path to make that choice. It'll likely take some cajoling on the PC's part to get her to agree, but it's something I can easily see happening.

And thanks guys, for telling me about it. I guess Steph's removal was very recent, because she is still in the public version on the New Texan show taking the Treatment and in No Man's Land, where she's sort of a ditz.

I guess it isn't a big deal as long as nobody's complaining about it, but I still feel it's a bit risky to have it there with no warning...

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
There was an uproar over Steph getting forcibly Treated?!

I'm pretty happy to hear that since it really made me feel gross inside and I'm glad I'm not alone.

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, because it was seriously big. Not quite as big as the whole Badger blowout, but close. So much so that I think Steph's treatment content was pulled in the end, wasn't it?

When it comes to people who don't post on the forums, blog, or chat... I mean... how are creators meant to gauge that kind of audience's wishes other than consensual silence? <- That sounds way bad when I type it out. That said, I agree with the forum minority thing - just because the forums love or hate something, doesn't mean it's actually good or bad, respectively. 

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015

I'm pretty happy to hear that since it really made me feel gross inside and I'm glad I'm not alone.

...I honestly didn't think it was the treatment, because the effects were instantaneous, while normally it takes hours for any effects to show up. I just thought it was something to make her breasts grow and lactate and that she was just a Ditz in general.

Yeah, not surprised that's getting nuked from orbit, I'd still like for the PC to be able to sponsor her. She kind of deserves it for all the crap she's been through.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, because it was seriously big. Not quite as big as the whole Badger blowout, but close. So much so that I think Steph's treatment content was pulled in the end, wasn't it?

When it comes to people who don't post on the forums, blog, or chat... I mean... how are creators meant to gauge that kind of audience's wishes other than consensual silence? <- That sounds way bad when I type it out. That said, I agree with the forum minority thing - just because the forums love or hate something, doesn't mean it's actually good or bad, respectively. 

I dunno about the current Patreon version, but that content is still there as of the latest public build. 

And about the silent majority, I just feel it's more beneficial to gate that kind of content just to be on the safe side. I don't think anyone would be blamed if Shade's interactions were modified for that reason, but it may turn people off the game for things like that to happen with no warning.

I dunno, maybe I'm making a huge deal out of nothing.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com

I'm as surprised as you are that I never saw the outrage, hence the interrobang ^___^;

I mean I'm constantly on the forums to the point that people mock me for it but I totes missed the whole storm it seems...

DjinnOfArc

Aug 29, 2015
I dunno about the current Patreon version, but that content is still there as of the latest public build.

Does it say specifically that she took the treatment, or does it say she was forced to take the tf that was made for people that were butt hurt about being a bimbo/brute cow?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Last I looked (public) nothing had changed but I was also just skimming it so I didn't do too thorough a look.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Does it say specifically that she took the treatment, or does it say she was forced to take the tf that was made for people that were butt hurt about being a bimbo/brute cow?

No, but it makes sense. The bull gave her a injection of something that grew her breasts, made her lactate, and made her horny. The treatment is given as an injection. In later interactions, her matter of speech is that of a ditz, totally inconstant with her pattern of speech on her show.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that the effects were instataneous.

Honestly the bull shoving the camera drone up her vajayjay made me uneasy before I even knew she took the treatment.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
I feel like I'm a little late for the party here, but I'll throw in my two credits.

Not round these parts, it ain't.

Hillbilly_Jim.12.jpg
lol.

With that out of the way, the whole game's pretty much a fetish game but if there's a fetish you don't particularly like, you're always given the option to avoid it some way.

It IS true that you can get blindsided by some of this. I personally don't remember Shade's content word for word, so I don't really recall the hints being dropped. It was a big surprise for me, and an important turn of events "oh look a long lost sister how nice", but it didn't bother me, because I had a crapload of TiTS saves ready to be loaded, if I didn't like it.

Yes, it's true! You can save and load your games. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to load up your saves only when you die. You can avoid nearly anything you dislike (unless you're really picky) with ease.

I realized nobody really bitched about it too much on this thread, but I'm just shoving the thought out there.

The only thing you can't really avoid is Steph getting Treated, I'll admit that. You don't really have to read the scene but it still happens, so I can see how that might cause a bit of an uproar. Personally, I'm not upset with her getting Treated, but I am kind of upset that she got Treated involuntarily, on galactic TV... I wouldn't have thought that would be the sort of thing the UGC would put up with, given the codex entry for the Treatment and the way it describes the response to it from the UGC. I don't think the UGC would like the fact that people could just get Treated on New Texas without their consent. 

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
I feel like I'm a little late for the party here, but I'll throw in my two credits.

lol.

With that out of the way, the whole game's pretty much a fetish game but if there's a fetish you don't particularly like, you're always given the option to avoid it some way.

It IS true that you can get blindsided by some of this. I personally don't remember Shade's content word for word, so I don't really recall the hints being dropped. It was a big surprise for me, and an important turn of events "oh look a long lost sister how nice", but it didn't bother me, because I had a crapload of TiTS saves ready to be loaded, if I didn't like it.

Yes, it's true! You can save and load your games. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to load up your saves only when you die. You can avoid nearly anything you dislike (unless you're really picky) with ease.

I realized nobody really bitched about it too much on this thread, but I'm just shoving the thought out there.

The only thing you can't really avoid is Steph getting Treated, I'll admit that. You don't really have to read the scene but it still happens, so I can see how that might cause a bit of an uproar. Personally, I'm not upset with her getting Treated, but I am kind of upset that she got Treated involuntarily, on galactic TV... I wouldn't have thought that would be the sort of thing the UGC would put up with, especially since the bull who did it could be liable.

You could also reload if you didn't like Doctor Badger's scene.

It still pissed people off though.

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Huh. I recall Savin mentioning he was going to go and change it from the Treatment to just a drug that made her lactate etc, or was going to go back and write it at some point. I don't dig Steph enough to check. New Melbourne totally kicks the ass off New Brisbane, pssh.

I don't think it was just the treatment; the whole 'I'm forced to have lots of sex on camera and I don't want to' on Myrellion came off as super rapey.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
A lot of her content is pretty rapey and squicky to me, which is unfortunate as I like her concept on paper.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Huh. I recall Savin mentioning he was going to go and change it from the Treatment to just a drug that made her lactate etc, or was going to go back and write it at some point. I don't dig Steph enough to check. New Melbourne totally kicks the ass off New Brisbane, pssh.

I don't think it was just the treatment; the whole 'I'm forced to have lots of sex on camera and I don't want to' on Myrellion came off as super rapey.

That's also true. The rape in this game usually can't even be considered rape, due to every enemy in the game being bundles of lust. As for rape on the PC, it's usually pleasurable enough for them that they can just shrug it off. And finally, the lack of any permanent damage/ changes also makes the "rape" in this game pretty tame.

Although I don't think the whole "sex on camera" thing is the issue, because COC had a lot of cases of unwilling rape. There was an entire village centered around one person per day getting raped by a horde of demons all night.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Huh. I recall Savin mentioning he was going to go and change it from the Treatment to just a drug that made her lactate etc, or was going to go back and write it at some point. 

He did, but he also mentioned that Fen was pretty opposed to it.

New Melbourne totally kicks the ass off New Brisbane, pssh.

You take that back D':

This little tidbit is a really good point. I just have to add, what about the PC getting raped after combat? It seems to be pretty common. I suppose that even that can be prevented, though. Steph getting raped can't. However, she IS fooling around with wildlife, and that shit happens... She's taking a risk and acknowledging it. :p  The New Texan bull wasn't quite wildlife, though.

DjinnOfArc

Aug 29, 2015
I feel like most of her hate came mainly from the treatment. Yes, the whole "she didn't want it in the beginning" was a thing, but nothing about steph was really brought up until after the treatment, and on planet 4.

Just my two cents.

DiscipleOfDeath

Aug 29, 2015
Treatment thing for me, I thought it was the psedo treatment you could take during when you are in the milker

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Or turn the game off and throw it away. Which is usually what people do if developers take that lazy approach.

He did, but he also mentioned that Fen was pretty opposed to it.
Fen's opposed to anything that involves take-backsies. He's even admitted many a time what a stubborn guy he is. And cutting already coded-in content? That's like, utterly against the grain. 

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Or turn the game off and throw it away. Which is usually what people do if developers take that lazy approach.
True enough, but it still remains that if you want to purge your character of that, it's simple to do so, and still progress in the story, albeit certain routes would be locked. There's also the warning on the front page of the game.

Quote said:
This is an adult game meant to be played by adults. Do not play this game if you are under the age of 18, and certainly don't play this if exotic and strange fetishes disgust you. You've been warned!

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015

Fen's opposed to anything that involves take-backsies. He's even admitted many a time what a stubborn guy he is. And cutting already coded-in content? That's like, utterly against the grain. 
If that's the case, then I hope our PC can give her a break.

Hell, the initial scene doesn't have to be changed, the bull can just mention it's the psuedo treatment, which makes sense considering the effects were instantaneous. Meanwhile when our PC takes it, the transformations happen over the span of a few days.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015

Hell, the initial scene doesn't have to be changed, the bull can just mention it's the psuedo treatment, which makes sense considering the effects were instantaneous. Meanwhile when our PC takes it, the transformations happen over the span of a few days.

I like this approach. Something like Bovinium. This is what Savin planned to do, I believe.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
True enough, but it still remains that if you want to purge your character of that, it's simple to do so, and still progress in the story, albeit certain routes would be locked. There's also the warning on the front page of the game.
So you'd think people would be okay with a no warning scat scene?

You have a point, but COC and this game so far has been pretty forward with what you get in terms of content. You usually can't make a wrong turn into content you don't like unless you aren't paying attention to the choices, which in that case, is your fault.

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
It really depends on if a heads up or an out could have been realistically given with no effort on behalf of the writer, or doing so would have endangered the plot in a way that would do more damage than the twist was worth.

For example, the incest thing with Shade is a big story twist that takes a long time to play out. Giving a heads up would make this twist impossible, and do a great deal of damage to the plot. The proportion of butt-hurt compared to this is very minor.

There are other, unnamed incidents in the game where a heads up or out could have been realistically given without endangering the twist, and even if it had, the twist itself was a very minor plot point in comparison to the massive butthurt it generates. Saying carte blanche 'Disclaimer FTW everything's cool' or 'Reload solves everything' is a really lazy hand-wave to what should be a case-by-case decision.

DjinnOfArc

Aug 29, 2015

Well, you can get her to join in steele tech, and become a cam girl (For lack of a better term then "fail crocodile hunter"). I guess that's sorta like giving her a break since she can do what she wants.

And the problem with the pseudo treatment is, she has to take something from each encounter. Planet 1 was cat ears, planet 2 was blue eyes and something to do with her lips(I think?), so it would be better if she took the Bovinium, since it would explain the cow like transformations that happened to her. (Of course, the ditz like speech would become a issue...)

We should also try to get back on topic.... we are derailing pretty hard.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
So you'd think people would be okay with a no warning scat scene?

You have a point, but COC and this game so far has been pretty forward with what you get in terms of content. You usually can't make a wrong turn into content you don't like unless you aren't paying attention to the choices, which in that case, is your fault.

True enough. Is scat even legal? (Game content rules, I mean)

There are other, unnamed incidents in the game where a heads up or out could have been realistically given without endangering the twist, and even if it had, the twist itself was a very minor plot point in comparison to the massive butthurt it generates. Saying carte blanche 'Disclaimer FTW everything's cool' or 'Reload solves everything' is a really lazy hand-wave to what should be a case-by-case decision.

Once again, true enough, it is a pretty lazy way to do it. Perhaps there should be some new rules put in place...? There was really nothing against it. Also: Why are said incidents unnamed? 

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
It really depends on if a heads up or an out could have been realistically given with no effort on behalf of the writer, or doing so would have endangered the plot in a way that would do more damage than the twist was worth.
For example, the incest thing with Shade is a big story twist that takes a long time to play out. Giving a heads up would make this twist impossible, and do a great deal of damage to the plot. The proportion of butt-hurt compared to this is very minor.

The thing is that it's only really an important twist if you have sex with Shade. Otherwise, it's just "oh hey sis!" Giving a heads up wouldn't really harm it to be perfectly honest. She could have found out your relation to her and stormed off in a similar way if her sexual content wasn't there at that point. Shade just sort of shows up in that scene, there's no prior plot point that means that it has to happen in a way that you can have sex with Shade before you find out she's your half sister.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Of course, the ditz like speech would become a issue...

Forgot about this. I can't believe I forgot about this.

We should also try to get back on topic.... we are derailing pretty hard.

We're definitely on topic. Sort of. It's similar.

Oh and while we're on the subject of the incest taboo (or near it?), there's someone writing certain content (An incestuous couple of sisters. ) for Uveto VII that happens to include it. What of that? 

What about the Myr? Dally openly admits that incest is common in Myrellion since most can't even reproduce. 

I even found this flag in the TiTS source code

"ANNOxSYRI_WINCEST"

I personally didn't even know they were sisters, but I may not have been paying attention. 

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
The thing is that it's only really an important twist if you have sex with Shade. Otherwise, it's just "oh hey sis!" Giving a heads up wouldn't really harm it to be perfectly honest. She could have found out your relation to her and stormed off in a similar way if her sexual content wasn't there at that point. Shade just sort of shows up in that scene, there's no prior plot point that means that it has to happen in a way that you can have sex with Shade before you find out she's your half sister.

Thing is, do you get to know she's your sis if you're not her lover? If you just make friends does she still come by the ship when the probe is delivered?

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Thing is, do you get to know she's your sis if you're not her lover? If you just make friends does she still come by the ship when the probe is delivered?

That's true, but then being friendly with her without being her lover involves being locked out of Kara's content and helping Shade capture her to be used as a slave... or worse. That personally doesn't sit well with me and I don't think that sits well with a few others, which is why it isn't a forced plot point. 

You can flirt with her then back off, but as the scene is portrayed, it pretty much has the PC having sex with Shade in mind, because otherwise, there's no reason for her to storm off without a word. And I don't think the flirt and backing off thing is something that many people would do without metagaming it.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
I'm just confused now as to why this specifically caused trouble or has the potential to. There are other cases of incest in the game. Did they not get their lashings?

It might be a bit different though since the PC is actually involved in this, but imagine all the enemies the PC has sexed that could be potentially related to Victor. 

Even then, it's STILL different since the PC knows about it, and Shade is a persistent character.

Furthermore, when to stop coddling the players? I mean there's a disclaimer on the front of the game, as I mentioned. You don't play a fetish game if you aren't prepared to be exposed to said fetishes. 

That being said, it is still good to have some moderation on some of the particularly less-popular ones, like scat. I'm fairly sure there's no scat content in TiTS, and I'm actually not even sure if it's allowed. I don't think the rules post is around anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.