Chosen, an adult text game with roguelike elements

Scarebear

Oct 16, 2015
The first time I did yeah. It did something similar this time.

Leaving me nothing but the arcane button, but this time when I clicked on it Veil became an option so I clicked on that and it ended the fight.

Also, I just noticed something after summoning a demon.

Under it's stats after joining my party I noticed my demon was male even though in the triggered sex scene it refers to it being female. Is their currently only a female demon scene?

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
The first time I did yeah. It did something similar this time.

Leaving me nothing but the arcane button, but this time when I clicked on it Veil became an option so I clicked on that and it ended the fight.

Also, I just noticed something after summoning a demon.

Under it's stats after joining my party I noticed my demon was male even though in the triggered sex scene it refers to it being female. Is their currently only a female demon scene?

Hmmn, weird. I will take a look at the code that ends battles and see if I can spot anything that looks broken.

I have not yet written the code to link the gender of the summoned demon with the one in the scene. So you can think of it as a bit of gameplay/plot separation. I will add it in eventually but it requires me to extend the engine a  bit and it did not seem terribly important as the gender of your companions is largely irrelevant.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Ok, I figured out the cause of the bug and fixed it. I also fixed rift bolt and implemented mrttao's ui suggestion. It's all in 0.3.1 which I just uploaded.

mrttao

Aug 31, 2015
Well that certainly sounds like a bug. Unfortunately I have not been able to replicate it. The battle should automatically end when all the opponents are defeated, and I have not yet seen that mechanism failed (I just tried to replicate it). It's probably irrelevant but what browser are you using?

The bug is caused by the fact that defeating the last opponent via sex does not immediately terminate combat (like defeating the last opponent via damage). Instead you must take another turn and only when that turn is over do you win combat

There is no "wait" option, the only way to skip a turn is to cast a buff or some other thing that is not targetting an enemy. If all you can do is attack then you are screwed as there is nobody to target

Demonic power increases each of your offensive stats by 1 point each turn for the first five turns of a battle. Getting it multiple times will just increase how many battles it lasts. When the timer runs out it stops working.

I will add a button to do companion management from the party management window. Also, yes rift bolt is broken. I will release a fix in the next minor patch.

oh, that is fairly underwhelming

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
The bug is caused by the fact that defeating the last opponent via sex does not immediately terminate combat (like defeating the last opponent via damage). Instead you must take another turn and only when that turn is over do you win combat

There is no "wait" option, the only way to skip a turn is to cast a buff or some other thing that is not targetting an enemy. If all you can do is attack then you are screwed as there is nobody to target

That should be fixed in 0.3.1 are you still encountering it?

oh, that is fairly underwhelming

Perhapse it needs a buff.  It should not be overwhelmingly powerful though as it's not that hard to get.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Oh, I saw this a while back I think.

A few design/nitpick things I thought I'd point out:

1: The stats seem like they have an odd norminalization and there's soo many of them, from a design stand point. Like most games are 1-10, 1-50, or 1-100.
Here it's 5-15 as the max range. That's... quite odd, and probably comes down to the formula you used for calculations.
Your formula should fit an intuitive range of numbers to the player, and not the other way around.
It also ends up feeling like you don't get to customize much when you have 90(!) points assigned from the start and only get 5 to play with. Yeah you can drop things down from 10 to 5 for more, but still.

2: When you hover over things that are clickable, there's no cursor indication that they are as such.

3: There's no hotkeys, so you have to click everything.
You also can't scroll with arrows or page down or anything? Have to click or use the mouse wheel.

mrttao

Aug 31, 2015
5-15 isn't the max range it is the starting range. you raise them by leveling up or acquiring equipment

Yamemai

Sep 4, 2015
Some balancing issues, maybe, I've noticed:

Archers can be, potentially, the strongest class, as they rely only on agility, giving at least +15 extra point. (Be sure to take Stamina though, going to need it later on.) -- To bad most of their starting skills are debuffs, or become obsolete the higher your level. (Double Shot->Triple shot->Barrage) Also, you can't compete with some of the mercs you can hire, mainly the elven ones.

Shapeshifters aren't that useful, besides as support; shutting enemies down with grapple(2) and/or lust(4+)(Note tease can be dodged) -- They take too long to set up, as you need to activate their skills one by one, and with no real damaging skills, there is no real use starting out as one.

Wizards are pretty powerful, especially in a group; early on, they have Force Bolt, Veil, and Charge to sustain them, but later they have Firestorm and Snuff Out/Erase

Warriors, I'm not too sure how to play them properly. They have some good skills, but they are all over the place. I usually use them as tanks, or as a stunner (grapple -- but you can move, so better to not start with it.) -- They can probably be pretty good with the right equip, Sword of Flame.

All in all, the best two classes to start out with is either Wizard or Archer, as the other two are better at supporting then taking out enemies.

Now then, stats:

You'll want 15 agi always, and 15 in your chosen job. You don't need the other 2 damaging moves, and constitution doesn't seem that useful, if you have good allies, and/or picked mage & veil. Willpower is iffy, as all lust base attacks are single target, can be dodge, and enemies don't seem to use Sex, meaning no real danger, as long as you're in a party, and/or take it out fast enough; if it builds up though, 4+ turns you may have trouble, as your damage will be decreased / you skip your turn.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Oh, I saw this a while back I think.

A few design/nitpick things I thought I'd point out:

1: The stats seem like they have an odd norminalization and there's soo many of them, from a design stand point. Like most games are 1-10, 1-50, or 1-100.
Here it's 5-15 as the max range. That's... quite odd, and probably comes down to the formula you used for calculations.
Your formula should fit an intuitive range of numbers to the player, and not the other way around.
It also ends up feeling like you don't get to customize much when you have 90(!) points assigned from the start and only get 5 to play with. Yeah you can drop things down from 10 to 5 for more, but still.

I thought it was fairly normal. 10 is average, below 10 is low, above 10 is high. You start with all average  stats and have the choice to deviate from them. I don't give too much customization because your character is likely to die and the game has permadeath. Doing extensive customization every time you start a new run would be obnoxious. I am thinking of getting rid of stat customization all together and replacing it with a variety of different preset start options (which might also give you things like starter items or companions) but that will not be out for awhile.

2: When you hover over things that are clickable, there's no cursor indication that they are as such.

3: There's no hotkeys, so you have to click everything.
You also can't scroll with arrows or page down or anything? Have to click or use the mouse wheel.

All sensible enhancements that I intend to add at some point.

Some balancing issues, maybe, I've noticed:

Archers can be, potentially, the strongest class, as they rely only on agility, giving at least +15 extra point. (Be sure to take Stamina though, going to need it later on.) -- To bad most of their starting skills are debuffs, or become obsolete the higher your level. (Double Shot->Triple shot->Barrage) Also, you can't compete with some of the mercs you can hire, mainly the elven ones.

Shapeshifters aren't that useful, besides as support; shutting enemies down with grapple(2) and/or lust(4+)(Note tease can be dodged) -- They take too long to set up, as you need to activate their skills one by one, and with no real damaging skills, there is no real use starting out as one.

Wizards are pretty powerful, especially in a group; early on, they have Force Bolt, Veil, and Charge to sustain them, but later they have Firestorm and Snuff Out/Erase

Warriors, I'm not too sure how to play them properly. They have some good skills, but they are all over the place. I usually use them as tanks, or as a stunner (grapple -- but you can move, so better to not start with it.) -- They can probably be pretty good with the right equip, Sword of Flame.

All in all, the best two classes to start out with is either Wizard or Archer, as the other two are better at supporting then taking out enemies.

Thanks for your thoughts. Shapeshifters are definitely underpowered right now. I am going to buff them in the next update. After that I will take a look at the new balance and try to see what needs buffing/nerfing. Making the game more balanced is a somewhat gradual process, especially as it's not really my strongest skill.

Now then, stats:

You'll want 15 agi always, and 15 in your chosen job. You don't need the other 2 damaging moves, and constitution doesn't seem that useful, if you have good allies, and/or picked mage & veil. Willpower is iffy, as all lust base attacks are single target, can be dodge, and enemies don't seem to use Sex, meaning no real danger, as long as you're in a party, and/or take it out fast enough; if it builds up though, 4+ turns you may have trouble, as your damage will be decreased / you skip your turn.

Hmmn, why do you always want 15 agi? All it does besides increase projectile damage is make the character go earlier in the turn order. Strength increases standard attack damage and resists grapple. Intelligence is kind of useless except for wizards, but I am working on that. Prowess strengthenes tease, helps reduce lust when you mastrubate and helps defend against sex. The four defensive stats also all have uses for any type of character as does stamina. Agility is useful but I don't see it as being so dominant that every build would use it. Please tell me if I have missed something.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
I tend to drop Str/Agi/Int to 5 (except for my attacking stat) and the other to 15. Prowess also to 5 (Lust is slow to use and it's kinda pointless against the Succubus who appears very often as of now). Then I boost the defensive stats to as high as I can. Best starting classes are IMO either Wizard or Archer (Warrior is actually very good due to high health grow, defensive skills + guard, but companions are very very often going to be warriors where getting Wizards is lucky and good Archers are expensive). In general you want your character to be the main damage dealer using the strong scaling skills (both Archer and Wizard easily take down every trash mob in 2 attacks) and you want one warrior in the party who soaks up damage via guard. Your other companions should be an Archer/Wizard (depending on what you are missing) for further burst damage and utility vs. bosses. In general, you never want to use support skills vs. trash packs and just burst them down as quickly as possible (which is why your warrior should get Flurry of Blows ASAP), as setting up - especially if the enemy uses strong teases - will just open you to retaliation.

Keeping the warrior low leveled btw is a good way to tank as enemies will generally target low leveled companions nearly 100% of the time. Although a high level warrior with the improved Grapple has a fantastic crowd control ability, it's utterly pointless in this game as enemies drop like flies.

Silas Crowley

Jan 27, 2016
I am interested in helping you develop the game and I'm already familiar with the editor as well as many of the code commands. I'm a seasoned writer with a wealth of experience in recreative novella, competitive text-based roleplay and scores of erotic writing wasted on idle self indulgence; I hope to put the skill to more productive use here.

I'd like to implement a Necromancer class, some more encounters, items and whatever else you'd like me to work on with you.

I can be reached here at the forum or by private message, as well as email at jetblackfeathers23@gmail.com

Yamemai

Sep 4, 2015
Hmmn, why do you always want 15 agi? All it does besides increase projectile damage is make the character go earlier in the turn order. Strength increases standard attack damage and resists grapple. Intelligence is kind of useless except for wizards, but I am working on that. Prowess strengthenes tease, helps reduce lust when you mastrubate and helps defend against sex. The four defensive stats also all have uses for any type of character as does stamina. Agility is useful but I don't see it as being so dominant that every build would use it. Please tell me if I have missed something.

Sorry for getting back to you late, don't log on/check often.

Probably just me, but it's usually better to start out first, so you can set up (buffs/grapple/etc) faster. I didn't know about prowess, but still think it's pretty useless, as I don't think I ever used masturbate, and I don't think I ever saw the enemy use sex, plus what I said earlier. As for strength, no point in using standard attacks, as skills are better + most battles don't last long, and I don't remember many fights where I was grappled -- also only two jobs have grappling moves: Warriors can't act if they use it, while Shapeshifters need a turn to set it up, not to mention it's a single target skill. Pretty redundant, imo, so no point in bothering to defend against it.

levant

Aug 31, 2015
I have not yet written the code to link the gender of the summoned demon with the one in the scene. So you can think of it as a bit of gameplay/plot separation. I will add it in eventually but it requires me to extend the engine a  bit and it did not seem terribly important as the gender of your companions is largely irrelevant.

Can't wait for that. I've been wanting to add companion-getting scenes but it's limiting when you can't mention the name or gender of who you're getting in the scene itself. 

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Can't wait for that. I've been wanting to add companion-getting scenes but it's limiting when you can't mention the name or gender of who you're getting in the scene itself. 

I just coded this functionality today. It should be out in the next version.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
No offline version? :shepicide: really need to get net....

Is there a demand for an offline version? It would be pretty trivial to make.

Edit: Here is an offline version for 0.3.3 it will only work on firefox though (and maybe IE), as chrome does not like offline pages dynamically loading files.

Last edited by a moderator:

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Both were, but its fine for me now. It was likely a temporary issue.

Ok, good.

What kinda scripts are used for abilities?

You can now use JavaScript code in addition to or instead of using preset effects in the ability editor. This means it's now possible to create pretty much any ability in the editor that can be hard coded into the game. For example there is an  editor ability that contains a script at https://chosen.adultrealms.com/#/edit/abilities/Replicate. Its an ability for a slime monster that creates a second slime and distributes all the stats of the first one between the two (so you get an exponentially replicating monster, but they keep getting weaker).

Of course, you need to know JS for it to be useful. Also I have not yet documented the API's available for scripting. I will probably do that when I start making documentation for the editor in general. So if someone wants to try to write scripts in the meantime they will probably have to look at the existing ones I have made, or ask me questions.

You can still just use the existing ability-effect system if you don't know JS. It's simpler but not quite as powerful as it does not have things like loops, conditional logic and programing language features.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
[SIZE=17.333333333333332px]You shake your head. The figure pauses for a moment, denied the answer it expected, but returns your gesture with another gentle smile. “Art thou confused? Or dost thou requirest... persuasion?[/SIZE][SIZE=17.333333333333332px]”[/SIZE]

Am I being thick? How is this a yes/no question?

Even if when you hovered over the buttons, one said confused and the other persuasion, that would be of considerable assistance.

Otherwise been enjoying it

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
[SIZE=17.333333333333332px]You shake your head. The figure pauses for a moment, denied the answer it expected, but returns your gesture with another gentle smile. “Art thou confused? Or dost thou requirest... persuasion?[/SIZE][SIZE=17.333333333333332px]”[/SIZE]

Am I being thick? How is this a yes/no question?

Even if when you hovered over the buttons, one said confused and the other persuasion, that would be of considerable assistance.

Otherwise been enjoying it

That scene was not written by me. I actually plan to replace it eventually, as my conception of the story has gotten clearer over time.