Chosen, an adult text game with roguelike elements

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Just came back from a trip and this is amazing. I gotta sit down one time and do something with.

Btw: How would one go about saving settings and perhaps share them with others?

EDIT: Just tested the game on easy mode. I do 4-5 damage with a maxed out character (any class) to standard enemies, I cannot win a single fight, what's up with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Just came back from a trip and this is amazing. I gotta sit down one time and do something with.

Btw: How would one go about saving settings and perhaps share them with others?

I am not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you mean how can you share things you made in the editor? Right now its a tad bit awkward. Go to the editor from the main menu. This should bring you to the "data overview" page which has a big list of all the data types in the game. Scroll to the bottom and hit export data. This should download a file called "game-data.json". If someone wants to play your modified version they go to the same page and click import data instead of export then upload the json file you exported.

EDIT: Just tested the game on easy mode. I do 4-5 damage with a maxed out character (any class) to standard enemies, I cannot win a single fight, what's up with that?

Yes, there was a bug with damage and defense multipliers (I got a min function and a max function mixed up, so they were always set to the minimum value). It should be fixed now. I am not sure if its balanced though, as I made some pretty major changes to the system last version.

darknesck

Aug 1, 2016

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Fail in secure connection, i cant enter the page

Edit; firefox is blocking your site because of the certificate =/, but only the chosen.adul..... the others not

Edit AGAIN: heres the image of the example i'm having in the site

https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/media/uploads/gallery/images/2016-03-27-02-50-02-0b2266.png

That is odd. It works for me in Chrome, Firefox (Developer Edition), Internet Explorer and Edge.

Unfortunatly the ssl layer is all managed by my hosting provider (firebase) so I don't really have much control over it. I have done some Google searches but so far I have not yet found anything helpful. If you could try it on a second browser that would be great.

Also if anyone else is having this issue please speak up.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Version 0.9.0 is now out

You can view the full details on my blog at http://www.adultrealms.com/version-0-9-0/

Or just play it at http://chosen.adultrealms.com

This new version adds another scene to the farm. I have also created an offline downloadable version which can be found on my blog.

Consider posting a mega link as an alternative download.

https://mega.nz/#!RAFkRYIY!tM1XETICVwW5fqBQGTavcy6osIY7VLu_HwIrOehj654

Can't wait! I don't comment much here, but I love your game.

Thanks for the support. Unfortunately, with school I haven’t been able to update it as much as I might like.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
How does the offline version work with the editor?

The editor stores its data in local storage until you export it as a file. So any changes you make on the offline version won't show up on the online version or vica versa. You can export your changes as a file and import it to the other.

Master

May 23, 2016
If I use the html it's infinite loading. And if I try to go to the link it won't let me on the site.

Edit: It works with firefox though.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
If I use the html it's infinite loading. And if I try to go to the link it won't let me on the site.

Edit: It works with firefox though.

The downloadable version does not work on chrome due to a problem with loaidng files in chrome. I am not sure why people are having trouble with the website. I need to do some more reaserch into that.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Version 0.10.0 is now out

You can view the full details on my blog at http://www.adultrealms.com/version-0-10-0/

This new version adds a mod system which allows anyone to create mods via the editor. The mods can then be easily installed by anyone via the mod list in the main menu (after their creator marks them as public). It comes with two trivial sample mods, one which adds a new playable class and the other which modifies the start scene.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
It's been a while. Super curious about the mod system, will try it in due time.
I have been focusing on school and SFW games and thus not spending much time on Chosen. But quite a bit of work was put into the game's engine and editor, compared to how much content it has (coding comes more easily to me than writing). Thus I am hoping a good mod system will expose that engine and let other people add fill in and customize the content to their liking.

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
Question; does damage on an ability you create automatically draw from the correct stats, or do you need to indicate that somehow? For example, if I want to make an ability that scales off of int, do i need to do anything other than make it do magic damage? Secondly, how do you make an ability that does damage to enemies that attack you? There weren't any abilities like that in the ones I could actually look at.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Question; does damage on an ability you create automatically draw from the correct stats, or do you need to indicate that somehow? For example, if I want to make an ability that scales off of int, do i need to do anything other than make it do magic damage? Secondly, how do you make an ability that does damage to enemies that attack you? There weren't any abilities like that in the ones I could actually look at.

Damage abilities automatically scale off of the relevant stat. So something that deals magic damage will automatically increase with intelligence.

Normally you would make the kind of ability that deals damage in response to being attacked via a status effect (the ability itself would just add the status effect to your character). But due to some limitations that kind of ability can't really be made with the GUI right now. But here is a script for it. Just make a new ability, hit add script and copy paste this in. You can then edit the amount of damage and messages in the script (hopefully).

Code:
var turnsToLast = 10;

// Message displayed when ability is used 
caster.log(caster.name, 'Prepares to retaliate against attackers'); 
caster.addStatus({
    // Status effect name
    name: 'Realiation',
    // Description of status effect
    desc: 'Whenever this character is dealt damage, it retaliates',
    onHit: function(data) {
        var attacker = data.dealer;
        var defender = data.target;

// This line here is why its tricky to do with GUI, its important to 
        // enforce these condtions, but GUI doesn't have an if statment.
        if (!attacker|| !defender || data.attributes.uncounterable === true) {
            return;
        }

// Message displayed when responce damage occurs
        defender.log(defender.name, 'retaliates against', attacker.name);

// Change math.roll to however much damage you want (currently 2 six sided dice)
        // This damage needs to be uncounterable, so it doesn't risk a counter loop
        defender.dealDamage(attacker, math.roll(2, 6), {type: 'physical', uncounterable:true});
    },
    tick: function() {
        this.magnitude -= 1;
        return this.magnitude <= 0;
    },
    evaluator: function () {
        return this.magnitude * 4;
    }
}, turnsToLast);

karunama

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply!

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Ok question will there be traps and if there are will u have to be bi to get them?
Probably not in the main game, but they could be added in a mod. There are two main reasons for that. The first is just that I am not that interested in writing traps (not my fetish) and no one else is really writing official scenes right now.

The second reason is the games pairing system showing its issues. There are no actual bi scenes in the game, if you choose a bi character, then the game will flip a coin to choose to show you the gay or straight version of a scene, not a third bi version. Bi characters have the advantage that they can see scenes that only support straight or gay version without them being filtered out but don't have anything written specifically for them. So its hard to fit gender-bender content like traps or futas in without making a presumption that a straight or gay character (and by extension, player) would be interested in that, which isn't a safe assumption. A mod fixes that problem, because anyone who installs a mod with the specific intention of adding trap characters to the game, obviously wants them there.

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Version 0.12.0 is now out

This patch is mostly about filling in gaps in old scenes fixing various placeholders where a scene wouldn't work for one/any pairing. In addition, it rewrites the Temple of Uvhor scene (from temple ruins) so it actually has a sex scene during its bad end as well as more dialog. The drider scene is no longer just 100% placeholders but the bad end isn't finished yet. So basically, more progress towards a 1.0.0 release without any placeholders.

You can view the full details on my blog at http://www.adultrealms.com/version-0-12-0/

Jul 25, 2018
I've played the new build without an account, and have encountered a couple issues.

1) At the end of combat on the farm with the dark elves, the text and options areas will go blank. Any attempt to hit the "report issue" button is pointless, since the button won't work.

2) When leveling up your second slot character, you'll sometimes encounter a bug that levels up another character. It would be fine if the other character shared a class with the character you're trying to level up, but the bug seems to randomly select other members of your party.

Firebolt also doesn't do the kind of damage you would expect it to do to the dryad or alraune. Heck, arcane spells in general are fairly weak and unimpressive, even at higher levels. Physical skills quickly outclass them, and it's almost pointless to have a mage on your team given they don't even possess healing spells or some form of buffing from what I've seen.