Active abilities tied to equipment?

FrankenApple

Mar 29, 2016
So I just had this fucking crazy totally out there never before thought of idea of putting 'specials' on weapons, armor and other trinkets (especially the trinkets).

Would it be feasible with the current state of the game code to make equipment add active abilities when equipped and remove them when unequipped?

Some examples would be: A stim injector that boosts a stat (or stats) for a couple of combat rounds, but leaves you at a disadvantage afterwards. A gun that drains energy to charge a stronger shot next turn. Some sort of walking fortress power armor that hunkers down, removes all your reflexes, and makes you immune to stuns/disarms.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
There are a few examples of effects when wearing an item, such as the Leitha Charm (permanent changes), and Butler and Schoolgirl costumes (changes are persistent only when worn).

There could be opportunities for other status effects as well. In addition to effects, item flags can enable passive abilities as well, such as "airtight" being able to block most liquid/gas attacks, "combat drone" for an accessory that can be used as a combat drone, and "power armor" for items usable on powered armor.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Fapple, this would be apsolutely doable and not at all crazy since it has already been done and something like that has already been added to the game. Don't you remember the grey goo armor?

FrankenApple

Mar 29, 2016
But those are passives... What I'm asking about is actives like the abilities you get from Cerespirin, but they disappear when you unequip the item.

Fapple, this would be apsolutely doable and not at all crazy since it has already been done and something like that has already been added to the game. Don't you remember the grey goo armor?

Figures... Since I've never actually seen or used the armor...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Sure--it can add hidden status effects, so when that effect is checked in combat, it can activate a special move. Like if you want to have a "grenade launcher" attachment on a gun/armor/etc. it will add that ability in combat when that item is equipped.

FrankenApple

Mar 29, 2016
Well shit, time to write up a fun trinket shop!

It will obviously be run by a sentient gas cloud dude, because those were mentioned somewhere in the game and I want the ultimate snowflake NPC.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
[...]  sentient gas cloud dude, [...]    [...] ultimate snowflake NPC.

And one that is completely unfuckable, to boot....                                                                  ...Or is he? *queue dramatic music* 

FrankenApple

Mar 29, 2016
And one that is completely unfuckable, to boot....                                                                  ...Or is he? *queue dramatic music* 

Not directly, but there will be a way.  :smugdog:

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Yea, just be sure that if you write an attachment that is used in combat, you should include all the combat blurbs that go with it (using action, missing action, exceptions for things like airtight/shields/etc.) as well as damage range/types and status effects (blind/trip/etc.). Balance is also important, so you need to make whatever special item it is, that it is not overpowered in-game, so it can be relatively weak, expensive to buy, locked by a level cap, or has a cost-per use.

FrankenApple

Mar 29, 2016
Yea, just be sure that if you write an attachment that is used in combat, you should include all the combat blurbs that go with it (using action, missing action, exceptions for things like airtight/shields/etc.) as well as damage range/types and status effects (blind/trip/etc.). Balance is also important, so you need to make whatever special item it is, that it is not overpowered in-game, so it can be relatively weak, expensive to buy, locked by a level cap, or has a cost-per use.

Don't worry captain, all points more or less will be covered to an extent!

Red1979

Apr 4, 2016
But those are passives... What I'm asking about is actives like the abilities you get from Cerespirin, but they disappear when you unequip the item.

You mean like the ability you get when you have a bow equipped if you've had the training?

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Well pardon me but...Sea Witches was supposed to work on similar conept. That some normaly uniteractable in sexual way 'clouds' of aliens lifeforms was infusing themself into Sacrae Sea Witch to use her as kind of host or medium to get in more primal contact with Steele. Well I could also still be wrong in understanding your plans. Would see when you reveal some more details in future.

Hanzo

Oct 10, 2015
Heh, this made me remember the "poledance with sci-fi spears" move I thought about months ago.

Nekotamaishi

Aug 31, 2016
Grapple with a whip equipped would be LOVELY .. turn the table on those damn Naleen! (could also be tied to Naleen TF etc... why don't players get the grapple!?)