Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I always wanted to make Jewel attack willpower directly without trying to inflict a lot of arousal damage.

I was coding up a smother skill before, and I wanted to make Jewel have more traits that make the willpower damage while pinning the opponent down higher.

My original vision was that the stamina damage route will be good against characters like Angel and Reyka, who have a high arousal cap. You can just by pass that by repeatedly knocking them down and making them submit through pins.

Draining willpower sounds like a good idea. Jewel would then whittle down her opponents' willpower and finish them off with a single orgasm. I'll think of some skills (beside Smother) to do that.

In unrelated discussion, Silver Bard mentioned on his blog that he was burnt out on Night Games for the time being, so I'm wondering if there are any plans to merge the two latest updates into the mod. I don't know how the code has diverged, but two skillsets and a number of scenes is a pretty significant amount of content, and you don't have to worry about it being updated again too soon afterwards.

I was waiting for the current update to be complete, which is currently patron-only. Once that update becomes publicly available, I'll ask Silver Bard if I can integrate the new content. That will probably take a while, since while I haven't seen Night Games's code for quite a while I'm certain that it and the mod's are very different by now.

That all depends on how you build and how you play it though. If you try to hit good scores on all the skills and make use of the special skills you can avoid being trapped in those situations. Also, I thought they fixed how level drain worked so you couldn't cause your level to explode like this outside of save editing anymore? I know I pointed it out some time back when they first revamped level drain rules to make it so that you couldn't do the xp stealing version of it if you were higher leveled than your target I believe. It might have been a certain degree of levels higher too. But the only thing you gained now was stat boosts which wash off if you clean yourself.

I do kinda wish there was an option to dump large volumes of points into a single stat of our choice. Like if they made something where you have the normal point selection dump spot or a box to the side or under each stat and skill that allows you to type in the number of points you want to put into it and then you click the + button to apply it. That could save on keystrokes for sure! Admittedly I never tried to go that high in levels. Level 10000 makes me cringe just thinking about it. Honestly, I think nightgames is something that would kinda go on without a true 'endgame' since they're probably playing for sport, profit, and fun. You don't quit just because you get so strong do you? Of course not, you keep getting better and better. I'm not suggesting that new skills are created for the ultra high levels though. It's fine as it is with it just being high stats.

I should point out that it appears that only the primary stats influence your battle efficiency once you go beyond a certain number score. So taking the ki skill up to 500 should be no more efficient than just stopping at whatever point level grants you the final skill in that branch. That is unless there were recent  changes that make my statement invalid now. I've kinda kept tabs on things in this forum without playing much recently. I was waiting for more content and updates before I binged on this game again. I am a little concerned though with the bug reports I saw for the latest update. I think I'll wait a bit longer before I download and try out the new drain challenge myself.

Drain Challenge doesn't use the Level Drain skill (which was indeed altered). I will have to place some more restrictions on the passively triggered drain which is used here, though. I don't think there'll be any GUI support for having 10000 attribute points available, that simply isn't what the game is meant to support.

The advanced attributes do matter even when you've unlocked all skills associated with it; higher attributes boost those skills' effectiveness in many cases.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
Draining willpower sounds like a good idea. Jewel would then whittle down her opponents' willpower and finish them off with a single orgasm. I'll think of some skills (beside Smother) to do that.

I was waiting for the current update to be complete, which is currently patron-only. Once that update becomes publicly available, I'll ask Silver Bard if I can integrate the new content. That will probably take a while, since while I haven't seen Night Games's code for quite a while I'm certain that it and the mod's are very different by now.

Drain Challenge doesn't use the Level Drain skill (which was indeed altered). I will have to place some more restrictions on the passively triggered drain which is used here, though. I don't think there'll be any GUI support for having 10000 attribute points available, that simply isn't what the game is meant to support.

The advanced attributes do matter even when you've unlocked all skills associated with it; higher attributes boost those skills' effectiveness in many cases.

Oh? That's a bit of a change or perhaps it was just that it wasn't as noticeable before you cleaned up and improved a lot of the coding with regards to the specialty skills. I would still recommend that some gui improvements were made so you could at least do things like pan the different window sections and or making it so you can click once and it will rapidfire purchase items or even dump skill points. I'm just suggesting those sorts of things for sake of not making it so click happy. That does wear out hardware and I just had to replace my keyboard and mouse here from wearing them out with games like this. So with games where they have click happy elements its always nice to add little improvements that reduce the amount of clicking at least to see things. Now, going back to what I was referring to with the window panning. There are times in longer games where you can get enough items and feats that it will go off the window and you can't scroll down to read everything you have either. That's more of a visual aesthetics thing. I know they're there but it would help if we could pan those little sub-windows and read everything in each section you have. I just figured if you implemented something with purchasing single items you could use the same gui improvement on every menu option that involves selecting and 'purchasing' multiple items or skills. It's no big deal though. It just would be an improvement for players so we don't have to click a hundred times to buy up a stock of supplies for instance.

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
Adding shortcut to attribute selection is enough: you can hold down the key in that case.

I maintain that level drain ought to reward the stealer less experience than it does now. There's varying things to do with this... Like, always give out 100 exp, or give ceil(sqrt(enemy level * 5)) + 95 exp or something like that (gives 100 exp for lvl 5, 105 exp for level 20, 118 exp for level 100), maybe move the multiplier outside of the sqrt, ceil(sqrt(enemy level) * 5) + 95 (that'd give 107 exp for level 5, 118 exp for level 20, 131 for level 50, 145 for level 100)... There's all sorts of options here. But the current implementation can allow you to push yourself several levels up. Worst case scenario atm is you're at level 99, enemy 100, gain 595 exp = lvl 105-106.

There's of course no real need for support for levels 200+ and such.

Found another bug:

private int stack;
private Character other;
private String part;

public FiredUp(Character affected, Character other, String part) {
super("Fired Up", affected, 2);
this.part = part;
stack = 1;
flag(Stsflag.firedup);
flag(Stsflag.purgable);
}

FiredUp constructor doesn't set the other character, so when it is later used in a description, it fails.

Pretty much all the complexly formatted cunnilingus attacks are missing a period on the end.

Mimic angel, when used by the player, describes mimic witch, not mimic angel.

The receiving description of mimic angel ends with !.

There's a bug with player slime saves (possible via making your own custom start)  - the game forcibly strips the slime trait. I don't know why. It works fine if I remove the remove call...?

Mara mind control scene has a typo: "The weird attatchment seems to be a connector" -> attachment

---

I put most of the changes I had made back, so that the chances were back to what they were at the start. I then made there be no level bonus for assisting or losing vs higher level opponents. I altered level ups to take 40 + 5 * level instead, and altered drains to take that amount of xp instead. It seemed to work pretty well, but without level bonus vs higher level opponents the enemies do seem to fall behind. So I guess the bonus exp on assists/defeats is needed... maybe hard mode could refuse giving the player any. 

Level draining needs caps so it doesn't go below level 1. Save-editting in some enemy leveldrainers, it seems the "you is" and "Angel are" is because that is/are replacement is just swapped. I found that even when deliberately feeding enemies, they didn't level-explode like they used to - mainly because they get less than a whole level from you per go, rather than 2-4 levels. This prevents you from bumping reyka from 40 to 60 because you have no clue what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
There's a bug with player slime saves (possible via making your own custom start)  - the game forcibly strips the slime trait. I don't know why. It works fine if I remove the remove call...?

I'm pretty sure this is to accommodate Airi's switching. Just in case Airi was in her slime form when the save was made, the loading reverts her back to normal. I changed it so it will only remove the trait for Airi.

Thanks for the rest - again.

Edit: I changed the level draining as follows, subject to testing:

80% chance of succes instead of 40%

Can only trigger if the target is at least level 2, and higher level than the drainer.

Can only drain 1 level per combat.

Will give the drainer either the amount of xp the target lost, or that which the drainer needs for the next level, whichever is least.

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
Edit: I changed the level draining as follows, subject to testing:

80% chance of succes instead of 40%

Can only trigger if the target is at least level 2, and lower level than the drainer.

Can only drain 1 level per combat.

Will give the drainer either the amount of xp the target lost, or that which the drainer needs for the next level, whichever is least.

"Can only trigger if the target is at least level 2, and lower level than the drainer."

Ehh...

That just made the entire challenge pointless. Why does the drainer need to be higher level than the target?

---

Only allowing a single level per combat seems to be pretty fair on paper. There were certain cases in which I managed to pull off 2 hits in a single combat by getting lucky or by being tactical (using wait when I can't force intercourse to prevent opponent from losing willpower). There were also certain outliers (which were that which pretty much allowed me to level-explode), like Airi or Kat who allowed me to get 5 hits in. Especially vs high level cat, it eventually became 20+ hits in a single combat, although that was with 100% chance and at level 600 something where I'd get in 2 hits in a single turn multiple times.

---

One more bug: The nurses gloves are labeled "bottom"?

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
"Can only trigger if the target is at least level 2, and lower level than the drainer."

Ehh...

That just made the entire challenge pointless. Why does the drainer need to be higher level than the target?

---

Only allowing a single level per combat seems to be pretty fair on paper. There were certain cases in which I managed to pull off 2 hits in a single combat by getting lucky or by being tactical (using wait when I can't force intercourse to prevent opponent from losing willpower). There were also certain outliers (which were that which pretty much allowed me to level-explode), like Airi or Kat who allowed me to get 5 hits in. Especially vs high level cat, it eventually became 20+ hits in a single combat, although that was with 100% chance and at level 600 something where I'd get in 2 hits in a single turn multiple times.

---

One more bug: The nurses gloves are labeled "bottom"?

I made a typo: The target needs to be at a higher level, just like with the skill.

I thought the nurse's gloves had been fixed, but no. They are now. You might turn them into weird socks, perhaps, but not bottoms.

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
That seems a lot fairer.

I really ought to set up git properly so I can turn most of such bug reports into bug fixes. I'll do that with next release, I guess. If I do it now then I'd just get conflicts.

---

@Override
public double applySubBonuses(Character self, Character opponent, BodyPart with, BodyPart target, double damage,
Combat c) {
if (with.isType(attachpoint) && Global.random(3) > -1) {
c.write(self, Global.format("Additionally, {self:name-possessive} " + fullDescribe(self)
+ " takes the opportunity to squirm against {other:name-possessive} "
+ target.fullDescribe(opponent), self, opponent));
opponent.body.pleasure(self, this, target, 5, c);
}
return 0;
}

Tentacles are missing a period on the end; also, they sometimes suffer from pluralization issues.

Example: "Additionally, Airi's pussy slime filaments takes the opportunity to squirm against your succubus vagina" - should be "take" and have a period at the end.

---

Some of the traits have a period on the end for tool tips. Some of them don't. Ought to be standardized.

---

if (self.has(Trait.catstongue)) {
c.write(opponent, Global.format("<br>{self:name-possessive} abbrasive tongue produces an unique sensation.",
self, opponent));

bonus += Global.random(3) + 4;
opponent.pain(c, 8 + Global.random(10), false, true);
}

MouthPart - applyBonuses for catstongue trait - "abbrasive tongue" should be "abrasive tongue"

---

"There pool is quite large and there is even a jacuzzi." from Pool room description - should be "The pool there is quite large (...) "

---

Mimicry skills need a better replacement for description; 

"Airi is mimicking a Mimicry: Dryad". I think...

@Override
public String initialMessage(Combat c, boolean replaced) {
return Global.format("{self:SUBJECT} started mimicking a %s", affected, c.getOther(affected), name);
}

@Override
public String describe(Combat c) {
return Global.format("{self:SUBJECT} is mimicking a %s", affected, c.getOther(affected), name);
}

You can use "getMimickedName" here. Also, missing a period on the end.

---

When body parts revert they don't always display correctly.

"Airi's pussy slime filaments turned back into ."

Seems to be around line 820 in Body. This one I don't quite know the code solution for. 

-----

I could handle these via forking & fixing, would that be okay?

Vyxoli

Jul 9, 2016
I've also been working with the gui file on a separate branch. It's not letting me upload it, probably because I need permission to do so, but it's in progress. Changes so far have been to limit the number of skills shown per page to 9 (to match the 1-9 configuration) and added arrow key functionality to browse the skill pages quicker that way. I've also moved setting traps into its own submenu at night to not clutter the interface so much. 

There's a temporary fix to button overflow with setting the button panel to a grid layout, but it does make the buttons oddly sized at times. I'll probably remove it once I've implemented other submenus, which would remove the need for the quick fix.

I'm also going to look into the resource inefficiency later, see if I can make it not as inefficient.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I've also been working with the gui file on a separate branch. It's not letting me upload it, probably because I need permission to do so, but it's in progress. Changes so far have been to limit the number of skills shown per page to 9 (to match the 1-9 configuration) and added arrow key functionality to browse the skill pages quicker that way. I've also moved setting traps into its own submenu at night to not clutter the interface so much. 

There's a temporary fix to button overflow with setting the button panel to a grid layout, but it does make the buttons oddly sized at times. I'll probably remove it once I've implemented other submenus, which would remove the need for the quick fix.

I'm also going to look into the resource inefficiency later, see if I can make it not as inefficient.

You'll need to open a pull request, either to nergantre's master branch or my addictions branch. I must admit I'm a bit skeptical about having only 9 skills at once, but let's see.

Any other bugs which I've reported but you haven't fixed yet? I can't actually see your changes yet, and I'd rather not do duplicated work.

I've just pushed the latest stuff to my addictions branch. That covers everything except your previous post.

Vyxoli

Jul 9, 2016
Odd, I thought the pull request specifically was a request for a branch to re-merge with the Master; I just wanted my branch to be visible for people to test if they wanted, since I didn't want to alter the Master branch.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Odd, I thought the pull request specifically was a request for a branch to re-merge with the Master; I just wanted my branch to be visible for people to test if they wanted, since I didn't want to alter the Master branch.

You weren't trying to push to nergantre's repository, right? I just checked and your own fork shows even with the base, no changes by you. You'll need to push to that to make it visible to others. If that's all you want to do then you don't have to create the request.

Vyxoli

Jul 9, 2016
You weren't trying to push to nergantre's repository, right? I just checked and your own fork shows even with the base, no changes by you. You'll need to push to that to make it visible to others. If that's all you want to do then you don't have to create the request.

Yeah, that was the problem. I've never used the fork functionality before on github, but I am familiar with working with branches. I just completed the fork and imported changes made so far. Thanks! 

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
Managed to bear wrestle Eclipse into accepting the existing project structure without changing any files. I previously had imported them as separate projects, but it actually was 1 general project containing two other projects.

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
There seems to be a bug with regards to dominant stances - Whenever I'm fighting anyone, I start off with both characters losing 3 willpower per turn. Seems to be part of Nergantre's smothering commit. 3 willpower/turn seems to be a tad much, games devolve into first-to-cum-loses as you're down ~25 willpower before first orgasm. I don't really understand the code of it, though; it seems it pulls a "domDelta" variable based off the stance, then subs 3, but if you're not dominating it inverts this value. Then it makes your opponent lose this willpower.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Yup there's some bugs still with the latest commit, I would probably work off of dndw/addictions instead of master right now.

(I know I know, I should use a dev branch. So sue me.)

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
Yup there's some bugs still with the latest commit, I would probably work off of dndw/addictions instead of master right now.

(I know I know, I should use a dev branch. So sue me.)

I don't really mind, I like the idea. Just spotting a bug. Would like to see it fixed... what's the rationale behind the inversion of domDelta?

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
It's just a bug. This is what it should have been:

int domDelta = getStance().dominance() - 3;
if (domDelta > 0) {
if (getStance().dom(self)) {
if (self.has(Trait.smqueen)) {
domDelta += 3;
}
} else {
domDelta = -domDelta;
}
}
if (self.has(Trait.submissive)) {
domDelta -= 2;
}
return domDelta;

The inversion happens if you're the sub in the stance.

Vyxoli

Jul 9, 2016
Hmm, I think the willpower drain should actually not be increased if the character has the submissive trait. The reasoning for that is because it makes the submissive archetype even riskier to play, without giving it anything in return. The other way to consider it is that if they're already submissive, then they may be slightly desensitized to willpower damage in that way.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
If you look at the function, the submissive trait only affects you in the dominant position. It reduces the drain on your opponents if you have the submissive trait and are dominating them. It doesn't actually affect the domDelta of your opponent if they're dominant.

(yup I could have made the code a lot less confusing I know :\)

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
I tried it out like that locally and it played pretty well. Mostly it helps move along fights, especially against willpower recoverers like Kat who would otherwise just keep tanking that willpower loss like it's not even there.

Dndw, I've got like 15-20 individual fixes done and ready, so I should just make a pull request for those, right?

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I rather like the mechanic of spending mojo on removing clothing in this version.  I'd like to put forward a suggestion for clothing if it isn't already the case, but have removal attempts damage the clothes instead of being a straight up yes/no for if they're removed and if you manage to remove a piece, have the damage carry over to the next one if the opponent isn't naked there yet.  This would add the possibility of removing multiple articles of clothing if the target has a lot of weak clothes on.  The dissolving solution could also be changed to damage clothing, and any clothes that are removed while the solution effect is active are destroyed.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I tried it out like that locally and it played pretty well. Mostly it helps move along fights, especially against willpower recoverers like Kat who would otherwise just keep tanking that willpower loss like it's not even there.

Dndw, I've got like 15-20 individual fixes done and ready, so I should just make a pull request for those, right?

I see you've already made the request, but yes, that tends to be proper protocol. (Or 'Github Flow' as Github likes to call it.) I'll merge it tomorrow, once I have a bit more time.

I rather like the mechanic of spending mojo on removing clothing in this version.  I'd like to put forward a suggestion for clothing if it isn't already the case, but have removal attempts damage the clothes instead of being a straight up yes/no for if they're removed and if you manage to remove a piece, have the damage carry over to the next one if the opponent isn't naked there yet.  This would add the possibility of removing multiple articles of clothing if the target has a lot of weak clothes on.  The dissolving solution could also be changed to damage clothing, and any clothes that are removed while the solution effect is active are destroyed.

An interesting idea. It would require quite some changes, since all clothes would need to be assigned a 'durability' factor and the strip skills would have to be changed completely.

Failing to strip clothes does weaken the opponent, and stamina is in turn used in calculating whether stripping succeeds or not, so successive attempts already become more likely to succeed.

An addition to this could be a critical hit which strips two layers at once, if present. That might be good. All clothing already has a number indicating how hard it is to remove, which is currently constant. Perhaps failed strips could lower that number, as a way to mimic an actual health stat. I like the idea of being able to spend a turn to 'fix' clothing which has been partially stripped.

So many things to do (this, addictions for Jewel and Eve (at least), merging in the updates to the base game, improving the AI, etc.), so little time.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
An interesting idea. It would require quite some changes, since all clothes would need to be assigned a 'durability' factor and the strip skills would have to be changed completely.

Failing to strip clothes does weaken the opponent, and stamina is in turn used in calculating whether stripping succeeds or not, so successive attempts already become more likely to succeed.

An addition to this could be a critical hit which strips two layers at once, if present. That might be good. All clothing already has a number indicating how hard it is to remove, which is currently constant. Perhaps failed strips could lower that number, as a way to mimic an actual health stat. I like the idea of being able to spend a turn to 'fix' clothing which has been partially stripped.

So many things to do (this, addictions for Jewel and Eve (at least), merging in the updates to the base game, improving the AI, etc.), so little time.

Yeah, I was thinking that lowering the difficulty stat would be the easiest way to pull this off, assuming that it isn't being referenced to as a constant for that article of clothing.  I figured I'd bring this up since removing clothing gives such a huge advantage and failing at it when you've got the mojo requirement can be incredibly punishing.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Yeah, I was thinking that lowering the difficulty stat would be the easiest way to pull this off, assuming that it isn't being referenced to as a constant for that article of clothing.  I figured I'd bring this up since removing clothing gives such a huge advantage and failing at it when you've got the mojo requirement can be incredibly punishing.

Then again, at, say, level 15+ every character has some more efficient way of stripping clothes (Sleight of Hand, Tear, Enthrallment, Defabricator, Naked Bloom). At that stage clothing becomes a lot less relevant.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Then again, at, say, level 15+ every character has some more efficient way of stripping clothes (Sleight of Hand, Tear, Enthrallment, Defabricator, Naked Bloom). At that stage clothing becomes a lot less relevant.

I haven't played the mod to that point, so I hadn't noticed.

Though I do remember that the base game had added in those options.  I think most of them cost you the benefit of capturing clothes as the cost.

Vyxoli

Jul 9, 2016
I haven't played the mod to that point, so I hadn't noticed.

Though I do remember that the base game had added in those options.  I think most of them cost you the benefit of capturing clothes as the cost.

That is correct. You don't get the clothing bounty when using those abilities, which makes sense for most of them (Defabricator, Naked Bloom, Tear, all of those are obvious forms of damage)

Clothes already do have a durability value as recorded in the clothing.json, so if it's already read when the json is parsed, then it might already be in the code and available to use.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
It has a "durability" as in how hard it is to be removed. However, it's not like it's being tracked in game.

Clothing and items in this game are basically immutable singleton objects that get referenced. Right now there isn't a system tracking anything for a single piece of clothing.

It's possible to add in, but like dndw says, it might not be entirely trivial.

That said, I do feel like there's a problem mid game where clothing are barely relevant at all. The bonuses you get for being naked a lot of times outweighs having them on. Especially wearing bulky clothing often times is way worse than wearing skimpy outfits or just outright wearing nothing. On one hand this kind of makes sense in a sex fight, but on the other hand, it sort of makes an entire mechanic moot. I tried assigning some bonuses to some clothing, and adding a sexiness factor to a lot of outfits. But generally the AI just strips them anyways, and there's barely any point.

Pim_gd

Jan 7, 2016
There's bonuses for shoes and such, so maybe later in the game there'll be more bonus equipment like that? Maybe something like necklaces (which you can tear off, obviously). Bonus play actions possible for putting collars on opponents? I especially like the bonuses of open clothing, where getting stripped makes you lose those bonuses.