Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

Varlance

Oct 6, 2015
I have looked through the code of this project before, but I didn't spend a lot of time delving into it. Is it going to hurt anyone's feelings if I overhaul the entire GUI? I really enjoy this game, but issues like large images conflicting with text space, unintuitive button layouts, and the limited list of items in the status window make the game more tedious than it needs to be. Not to mention the default java theme instead of windows/system/custom theme (I will probably not be using a custom theme). To clarify, I am going to overhaul the GUI, and it will have all of the functionality of the original (no compromising in that aspect), but it obviously won't look the same. Whether people want to use it or not is up to them. I'll make a new branch for it as to not interfere with the original project.

If you do, would you mind posting the source for your UI code, as I'm thinking of coding my own game at some point in the future?

tjmac124

Oct 2, 2015
hey is there way to see the descriptions of the attributes the clothes give off like broody 

Henry

Oct 23, 2015
If you do, would you mind posting the source for your UI code, as I'm thinking of coding my own game at some point in the future?

All of Nightgames Mod is on Github if you would like to see the project. The UI is in the GUI package. I'll link to my branch below. the changes I've been working on are mostly in GUI and CreationGUI. CreationGUI being the special UI you see when you first start the game. I am currently working through changing the Swing layout style of the CreationGUI.

https://github.com/Henrywald/nightgamesmod

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Hey guys,

Just checking in again to say I'm not dead. I've been super busy lately with both work and moving. I expect things to settle down in about a month's time or so, but before then it's very difficult for me to work on anything. Sorry about that :(

@Henry, Sure go for it. I've been kind of ignoring the UI, if you want to do anything to improve that it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm really not a java programmer myself, and I've been learning swing as I go. I'm sure someone else could do a much better job. Most of the UI was taken from the base game too, so I've barely touched anything unrelated to the clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonineome

Nov 3, 2015
I'm not sure whether this is a bug or whether it just hasn't been implemented yet, but for some reason whilst playing a female I am getting victory text that assumes that my character has a penis and is male.

This isn't the case, of course.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Is there any decent guideline how to make new abilities/characters with JSON for this game?

Nope. You can look at the existing files as an example, basically every feature available is used there at some point. You can't make abilities, though, just characters.

In other news, I found a bug:

rating = (float) Math.exp(RATING_FACTOR * raw_rating + wskill.weight + wskill.skill.priorityMod(c));That line (NPC:819) works perfectly well to combine the different aspects of the skill rating process... UNLESS the numbers get really large. Someone PM'ed me with a file where they had set the AI mods to 999. That means wskill.weight can get >1000. e^1000 is a very, very large number. That breaks the entire AI for that round.

Moral of the story: Don't pick very large numbers in the AI mods. No really, don't.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
i downloaded mod now what it just says need nightgames global

If just clicking the .jar file doesn't work, you probably don't have Java installed. Check java.com for instructions.

If you do have Java installed already, please post a more detailed description of the error you encounter. This doesn't help much.

Edit: It should go without saying, but you do need to extract all the files first.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Nope. You can look at the existing files as an example, basically every feature available is used there at some point. You can't make abilities, though, just characters.

Weird, Samantha is a JSON character and uses unique skills. I wanted to create my own. But okay I guess.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Weird, Samantha is a JSON character and uses unique skills. I wanted to create my own. But okay I guess.

That's because I cheated. I created extra skills the regular way. If you don't know Java but do have some neat ideas for skills, I might be able to help with that. Note that the custom characters were not meant to have unique skills. Again, cheating.

Henry

Oct 23, 2015
I can add dynamically loaded java classes on top of the classes included in the Jar if it becomes something people would like, I've used it for plugin systems before. I can do it if people would want a feature like that. That's about all I could personally offer. I believe I am not alone in saying that it would be easy to add dynamic loading of extra content than to create a new system and convert everything to JSON or something similar.

tjmac124

Oct 2, 2015
does anyone else have notice jewel constantly strip herself? i don't know if its a bug or not

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
How do I get divinity?

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
You can't, except by editing your save file. 

Wasn't it been possible to get it by giving Angel vial of "Holy Water" when rel points with her are high enough?

ferd

Oct 18, 2015
Wasn't it been possible to get it by giving Angel vial of "Holy Water" when rel points with her are high enough?

Have bottles with you ,high rel points, Angel have angel bodyparts ,after that be lucky enough to win against her a dozen or two dozen times.

Have Funnn

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
Two more questions.

How do I get a bottle, and how do I get Bio stats?

I looked in all the shops, and couldn't find the bottles. xD

ferd

Oct 18, 2015

Two more questions.

1.Have high enough rel with angel and you will find it

2.Open rosea as enemy and have high relation with her (she will be in the courtyard)

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Two more questions.

Bio is something you can't get like Samntha unique stat (Tecnique I think) and 1-2 more unique stats (it was meantioned in this thread in one of previous pages that some of stats are made unaccesable for PC). For bottle visit Hardware Store and Empty Bottle is what you looking for. Yes each cost 100$ but you can not only gather "Holy Water" into them but other usefull thing too that can be used as draft to drink or throw at the enemy.

Rosea is still incomplete npc she so to get Bio she would need daytime scenes that she not have (she even can't resupply her clothes now and is rteally UP in later levels). Ofc manualy editing save file we can add to PC any stat be it Bio or other one we can't normaly gain ingame.

ScarredEyes

Oct 13, 2015
I was messing around a bit, and I kept wondering...

...what IS Cassie Loneliness that you see in the saves? 

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
It's been a while since I've looked at the code, but I think it's a counter for Cassie. If you have high enough affection with her and don't visit her, she can come visit you.

MysteriousP

Nov 24, 2015
I'm having trouble keeping up with the NPCs in levels and other such things.  Is there any sort of general leveling scheme you should follow, or paths that counter other characters?

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
I'm having trouble keeping up with the NPCs in levels and other such things.  Is there any sort of general leveling scheme you should follow, or paths that counter other characters?

Normaly without setting any hard mode or harder setting npc's should be at best around your lvl if not 1-2 lvls below. And normaly could even been more than few lvl's behind. So look if you not picked hardcore mode (I think it helps them lvl up faster in some way but won't give my head for that). Also something that maybe sound silly but well try always win as many fights during night as you can prefferably having most wins per night. That way you should at least stay on lead with lvl's.

And try somehow specialize in attributes. Sure npc can have 3 basic ones and one advanced but MC can have like 10 different stats. But putting point equal in allof them would make you at later stages of the game lose pretty hard. You could get all attributes high but that at later stage of game when you just have some unneded points and adding 1-2 pts in seduction/other basic star or your main advanced attribute will change almost nothing. About advanced attributes most not giving any new skills around 15-20 pts so also not point put in those more than that amount of points. Only advanced attribut I recall I rised really high was I think Dark.

LightningRose

Nov 27, 2015
Normaly without setting any hard mode or harder setting npc's should be at best around your lvl if not 1-2 lvls below. And normaly could even been more than few lvl's behind. So look if you not picked hardcore mode (I think it helps them lvl up faster in some way but won't give my head for that). Also something that maybe sound silly but well try always win as many fights during night as you can prefferably having most wins per night. That way you should at least stay on lead with lvl's.

And try somehow specialize in attributes. Sure npc can have 3 basic ones and one advanced but MC can have like 10 different stats. But putting point equal in allof them would make you at later stages of the game lose pretty hard. You could get all attributes high but that at later stage of game when you just have some unneded points and adding 1-2 pts in seduction/other basic star or your main advanced attribute will change almost nothing. About advanced attributes most not giving any new skills around 15-20 pts so also not point put in those more than that amount of points. Only advanced attribut I recall I rised really high was I think Dark.

Hi, came into to ask about this as well. Really enjoying the game, it's really amusing and the customization in the late game is huge, but it really does feel like too much of a rat race to keep up your levels and everything with the enemy. Would it be possible to add in some kind of casual mode, or to give instructions or hints on how to edit your files to slow the rate of enemy growth? Frankly it doesn't make sense sometimes how I can win 10 matches a night and some of them are the same same level or higher than me sometimes.

Thanks for everyone's work on the game though, really great job so far, and glad to see it's constantly being improved too.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Hey,

There is actually no mechanic that forces either you or the NPCs to level up. However, if you are behind in levels, even if you lose a lot, you should be catch up in levels, because of how much more exp you get. Like if I set an NPC's level to 30+, and I'm level 1, I think you'll shoot up to level 10 or so immediately even after a loss.

That said, levels actually don't matter too much. The NPCs can be higher levels, but you can still win pretty easily by specializing in a stat or doing training during the night. There are actually a few complaints that the game gets way too easy because of some broken combos you cando.

Anyways, if you don't want to bother leveling (I know I don't sometimes :p), just open up the .ngs save file in notepad. Should be really easy to figure out what does what since it's all in english. If you want to level up a ton, just set your xp to 5000 or something.

I'm still in the process of moving across town, so I haven't really had any time to work on this. After this, I have a vacation planned, so realistically, you can probably expect some more stuff in January. Sorry for the delays.

Vasin

Aug 27, 2015
Is anyone going to update the Mod off of the next version Bard's going to put out, or are you guys going to keep these two 'games' separate as they are?

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Is anyone going to update the Mod off of the next version Bard's going to put out, or are you guys going to keep these two 'games' separate as they are?

I guess that depends on what the update entails. He was quite vague about that. It would not make much sense to copy over skills or mechanics which are very similar to ones already in the mod. Then again, I'm not the boss here, maybe nergantre wants Tearing Fingers next to Shredding Palm. If not, we'll have to wait and see. 

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Might ask bard about it. If he wants to, I'll try to merge it in. The code base has diverged a ton, but there shouldn't be any problems with skills and characters for now.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
One of the new characters is Samantha, so you don't have to worry about her, though I handled her skillset a bit differently. One of the other new opponents would be right at home in the mod and should be straightforward to add. The third opponent is nonstandard and required some modification of Match creation. Skills and scenes could be merged in without too much trouble. The mechanics may have diverged too far to be useful, but I did end up writing some 'smarter' non-combat AI, which might be worth taking. I'll send you the source code when I post the release, you can decide what you want to use.