Next Planet: Uveto VII

easykiln

Sep 10, 2015
If there is going to be a legit waterworld later I suggest making the water acidic. Not like burns-you acidic, but enough to affect the life there in some cool ways. I was reading about Europa, and they think it is acidic and it would stop ocean organisms from developing calcium carbonate bones like on earth. Vivianite was a proposed replacement they could have evolved with, which would be cool. Transparent slimes with a visible skeleton or snails with crystal shells. Coral reefs made of crystal!

I also hope we see a hydrothermal vent when we are down there.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
but we can ride a hover board like marty mcfly

It won't work on Uveto, though.  Those boards don't work on water unless you got power.

btw I'm assuming this has a use right? Ive just missed it somehow...

It reduces how long it takes to move each step on the map, which is fairly useless unless you have some sort of timed mission.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
It won't work on Uveto, though.  Those boards don't work on water unless you got power.

It reduces how long it takes to move each step on the map, which is fairly useless unless you have some sort of timed mission.

They don't work on LIQUID water. Solid ice surface would allow the board to work.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Uveto has liquid water as well.  It'd be kind of absurd if it didn't, you need liquid water for life to exist.

Debatable, but I just saying the hoverboard should work on Uveto on the solid parts.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Uveto has liquid water as well.  It'd be kind of absurd if it didn't, you need liquid water for life to exist.

Right, but that's not the part the PC will be exploring (generally, anyway). Hoverboard will work fine where you'll actually be going. 

Tenacious_Tiddy

Sep 24, 2015
Tennessee

Ah like a mission that requires one to disarm a time bomb on a mushed together planet inhabited by raskvel, lapania (spelling?), ect ect. Before it explodes?

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
If that was a joke, apologies but you need to make it a bit more obvious in the future

Consider watching the Back to the Future movies. It's good for your ability to get jokes.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Ah like a mission that requires one to disarm a time bomb on a mushed together planet inhabited by raskvel, lapania (spelling?), ect ect. Before it explodes?

You either have to a) rest mistakenly to fail that, or b) have something mentally wrong with you. It's a massive time limit, on foot or no.

Tenacious_Tiddy

Sep 24, 2015
Tennessee
You either have to a) rest mistakenly to fail that, or b) have something mentally wrong with you. It's a massive time limit, on foot or no.

lamo, i know i accidentally rested once... but other then that it was just an example. Maybe there will be more timed missions where something like that would come in handy later in rhe game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quiffyton

Oct 25, 2015

Well, technically, no, not at all. The Fedora is here to educate you.

On Earth, everything has evolved to use water as a convenient source of life and function, and everything lives off it. This is how we evolved over a few billion years.

On another planet, however, even if it didn't have liquid water, even ice might suffice, depending how things evolve. As long as it has a survivable temperature and all that shizwa, things like water don't necessarily apply to a basic need. For all we know, liquid nitrogen could be enough for something to live in decent temperatures and atmosphere.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

On Earth, everything has evolved to use water as a convenient source of life and function, and everything lives off it. This is how we evolved over a few billion years.

On another planet, however, even if it didn't have liquid water, even ice might suffice, depending how things evolve. As long as it has a survivable temperature and all that shizwa, things like water don't necessarily apply to a basic need. For all we know, liquid nitrogen could be enough for something to live in decent temperatures and atmosphere.

Water has a lot of very useful chemical properties that other liquids cannot replicate, such as its dipolar nature, its solvency and the resulting interactions between hydrophobic and hydrophilic materials that allow cell walls to form, and its ability to moderate a planet's climate due to its high specific heat (that is to say, it provides a planet with a much tighter range of possible annual temperatures and thus stable energy requirements for metabolic processes).  It's much like how carbon is far more useful as a foundation for metabolic processes than silicon would be, even though silicon is also a group 14 element.  While it is hypothetically possible that some form of life could exist without water, we have no concept of how such a thing could function.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015

The fact that you felt it was ever appropriate to start a post with this line makes me very unsurprised that you turned out to be wrong due to overconfidence in your incomplete understanding of the science.

Gardeford

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
i'm sorry for any of the couple people who had big expectations, but there might be some troubles with the dungeon plans. A majority of the content(all but the first boss) is gonna be done to an absurdly similar degree in a dungeon that will get in before it. I'm not going to solidify anything yet because I'm still kinda going over my options, but i might skip it and focus on my shopkeep for the planet. Maybe i'll do a dungeon on a different planet.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Water has a lot of very useful chemical properties that other liquids cannot replicate, such as its dipolar nature, its solvency and the resulting interactions between hydrophobic and hydrophilic materials that allow cell walls to form, and its ability to moderate a planet's climate due to its high specific heat (that is to say, it provides a planet with a much tighter range of possible annual temperatures and thus stable energy requirements for metabolic processes).  It's much like how carbon is far more useful as a foundation for metabolic processes than silicon would be, even though silicon is also a group 14 element.  While it is hypothetically possible that some form of life could exist without water, we have no concept of how such a thing could function.

The fact that you felt it was ever appropriate to start a post with this line makes me very unsurprised that you turned out to be wrong due to overconfidence in your incomplete understanding of the science.

All true ! What's fun with science is, half the things we think we know now can turn out to be wrong in less than 1 day.

Science : "We don't know when we will be wrong, but in the meantime, we're right."

Patrick R. Key

Nov 20, 2015
All true ! What's fun with science is, half the things we think we know now can turn out to be wrong in less than 1 day.

Science : "We don't know when we will be wrong, but in the meantime, we're right."

Add philosophy to the mix, and you get an even bigger shitstorm.

Philosophy: "Is it possible to be right? How would we know when we're right? Is there even a "we" to be right? Is there... anything?"

Darth-Omix

Nov 28, 2015
Man, reading this thread makes me look back at the stuff I scribbled and never finished for TiTS and say, "Damn, I should hammer at this some more."

Thanks for the drive to keep kickin' on shit.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
Add philosophy to the mix, and you get an even bigger shitstorm.

Philosophy: "Is it possible to be right? How would we know when we're right? Is there even a "we" to be right? Is there... anything?"

Sounds like an endless loop of ultimately unanswerable questions right there. Count me in !

Dec 13, 2015
Having read the Stormguards from the design document gives me an idea: another optional boss fight: a former Stormguard fighter that went dark and gathered a small band pirates through tales of blood and fear as his own faction. Defeating him and his right-hand (a mini-boss) would yield you a unique vamp blade and a lava saber; and losing to them yields a bad end.

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
Having read the Stormguards from the design document gives me an idea: another optional boss fight: a former Stormguard fighter that went dark and gathered a small band pirates through tales of blood and fear as his own faction. Defeating him and his right-hand (a mini-boss) would yield you a unique vamp blade and a lava saber; and losing to them yields a bad end.

I was under the assumption Stormguards were pro-pirates or gave zero fucks about piracy or where people came from.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
I was under the assumption Stormguards were pro-pirates or gave zero fucks about piracy or where people came from.

While they don't care much about one's past, they do adhere to some sort of code of honor. So I imagine they wouldn't have any beef with some pirates like Kiro or maybe even Khorgan, but if a member becomes your typical unscrupulous Black Void fucker, they are out.

Terra_Lupis

Aug 28, 2015
The Stormguard like any religious group are willing to forgive their initiates past discrepancies, as for your idea it would work. Part of the fighter's history could be that he still believed in the same ideals as the Stormguard however he felt as though they were being misguided. After openly 'blaspheming' the order and 'besmirching' its leaders and champions in front of a enormous crowd, he partakes in a massive arena battle between himself and Sival/Murose (Leaders of the Stormguard) that leaves him wounded in some manner. After he has been defeated, he is exiled along with those who share the same view.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
While they don't care much about one's past, they do adhere to some sort of code of honor. So I imagine they wouldn't have any beef with some pirates like Kiro or maybe even Khorgan, but if a member becomes your typical unscrupulous Black Void fucker, they are out.

Shade's a member, and she works for a distinctly uncuddly section of the Black Void.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
I doubt her involvement with them is widely known, and besides she doesn't technically violate the code herself, since all she does is straightforward bounty hunting.

She's not exactly hiding it, either, what with yelling it out in a crowded spacer bar. Also when you're being paid by pirates, "bounty hunting" is the same as kidnapping (or assassination), and Shade's more involved than that, even, if her hanging out in secret Black Void hideouts is any indication.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
She's not exactly hiding it, either, what with yelling it out in a crowded spacer bar. Also when you're being paid by pirates, "bounty hunting" is the same as kidnapping (or assassination), and Shade's more involved than that, even, if her hanging out in secret Black Void hideouts is any indication.

And, you know, banging one of the Void's leaders.

Shade's probably the future equivalent of the brutal Italian Mafia gangster that still goes to church on sundays. 

Reactions: valkyr42

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
She's not exactly hiding it, either, what with yelling it out in a crowded spacer bar.

Did she really do that? AFAIR, she only gives away her client's identity after you help her apprehend Kara or during the stand-off that occurs outside the bar. I don't remember that bit very clearly.

Shade's probably the future equivalent of the brutal Italian Mafia gangster that still goes to church on sundays. 

Noooo! Muh 'tough yet tender MILF' fantasy... :(

Next thing we know she'll be a ruthless mob leader. herself.

In all seriousness though all the things we hear in-game about Storguard's code are quite vague atm.

Well, the church that took me in was some kind of old-Terra-style pagan sect, thought they’d found the promised land on a stormy ball of ice. Neo-norse, some of the locals called ‘em. I don’t know much about terran mythology, but the cult - the Stormguard - were obsessed with their thunder god.

“I told their leader I didn’t buy into the whole gods and giants thing, but he just smiled at me and nodded, all fatherly understanding. Said belief wasn’t what mattered, but the way you behaved. He told me about their philosophy, honor in battle, wisdom before action. They preached self-empowerment and courage more than gods; hell, some of the oldest members confessed to me while I was there that they didn’t believe in the gods, but they liked the message. I suppose I could have picked a worse religion to fall in with than one that encouraged me to be a warrior, even trained me. Plus they had a pretty serious fertility and sex-potency undertone going on, so it didn’t hurt that I came to them with a kid on the way.”

Nothing about morality or mercy. So it seems that my first comment doesn't have enough ground to stand on, especially since the most famous categories of Old-norse people were notoriously piratey (as well as rapey and pillagey).

Last edited by a moderator: